Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 21:59:40
Page:  1 
Mafia 101: The Family, The Structure, The Cod Started by: MrGammy on Nov 16, '07 22:00
Once I present you with some information that you should all consider. Wisdom from the ancients if you will, this man knows what he is talking about!

EVERYONE WANTS TO KNOW...

So for the sake of the less informed, I've decided to explain the ways of La Cosa Nostra, what it takes to get in, what it takes to become a "Godfather," and provide a detailed look at all the ranks from associate and soldier to capo.

Obviously, this can't be explained in three sentences, so today I'm going to discuss the La Cosa Nostra, omerta , honor codes, and the objective of our organization. Next time, I'll teach you about the structure of Italian organized crime, the different jobs and roles of people in our hierarchy, and how you can get started.

Consider this a basic overview and not a how-to, capisce ? I won't waste my time going into details because none of you will ever be part of a Family . Besides, do I need to incriminate myself? So wherever there are particulars missing, use your freakin' imagination, OK?

Also, each Family has its own rules, minor structural differences, different terms, etc. So what I say might not work in Kansas City, but might in Chicago, get it? You don't need to worry your pretty little heads about these details anyway, all you need to do is appreciate how difficult it is to get to the top.

LA COSA NOSTRA

La Cosa Nostra roughly translates from Italian as "this thing of ours." It's the American version of the Sicilian Mafia. There are all kinds of other names too. "The Mob," "The Outfit," "The Shop Front," "The Arm," "The Syndicate," "The Organization," take your freakin' pick.

A Family or Famiglia is a unit of La Cosa Nostra comprised of groups of "made men" from 20 to 300 apiece, each headed by a "Boss."

La Cosa Nostra is hierarchical in structure, each made man or member has certain "jobs" to perform, specific money-generating "businesses," and a defined superior.

How well you do inside the Family depends on how much of an earner you are. The more you earn, the more important you become. Equally, every Family needs an enforcer. If you excel as an enforcer and show enthusiasm and gusto in your work, your importance also goes up. If you are a good earner and a good enforcer, your future is bright and lined with plenty of mistresses.

As you move up the chain, you get to keep more of the profits from your "activities" and be involved in more lucrative activities. It's in the interest of every made man to be part-earner/part-enforcer in order to build a comfortable (and protected) lifestyle for his own family (let me clear this up now; family is the one with kids and a nagging wife, Family is the other one).

If you understand these principles, you understand how promotions are handed out. Now, how you become a good earner or a good enforcer in the first place... I'll let the movie types try to enlighten you on that.

OMERTA

One of the most important rules of being part of La Cosa Nostra is omerta ; the code of silence each honorable made man takes when he enters a Family. It essentially means that a made man is never to discuss any Family business or activities with any outsider (not including associates). You become a rat by breaking the code, and you'll pay with your life (it's not only the Mounties who always get their man). It's omerta that keeps La Cosa Nostra protected and shielded from outside forces, whether it be other mob-wannabes or law enforcement. It's also part of the honor code, which also includes vows to respect the organization's rules, hierarchy, rules of conduct, and punishments for breaking any code. Above all, the honor code implies that no man is above his Family, and that no man should put anything or anybody ahead of his Family (not the other family).

In return, the Family protects and supports you (and in case of death, supports your family). You trust and rely on your Family in bad times, just like in good. That support is always there if you are loyal, productive or an influential member of the Family.

Loyalty, obedience, honor... you see a pattern emerging here? The public is fooled into thinking we are a bunch of thugs thanks to the media, but we are men above all -- honorable, educated, business-savvy men. Don't you forget that.

NOT FOR OUR HEALTH

Let me be frank about the goal of La Cosa Nostra. It's to make money. Period.

It's not about being Italian, the culture, soccer, the food, being pals with nicknamed fat guys, or playing cards. It's about cash; the art of making it and the art of hiding it.

To make money the way we make it, we need to maintain the structure of La Cosa Nostra and omerta. Diplomacy doesn't always work, you know what I mean? So you use whatever means you have to in order to protect your Family. If someone is blocking you from making money, you try to resolve it as honorable men. When that fails, you must put words away, and select an alternative weapon, capisce ?

La Cosa Nostra has business interests in a variety of industries. You can guess what they are. The cash flow generated from the mom-and-pop operations help fund the major ones. These, in turn, help finance the "accepted" businesses or as the law enforcement authorities like to call it, the "legitimate businesses." (Don't get me started on the "legitimate" business of law enforcement or politicians.)

The accepted businesses are often enterprises respected highly by others who are not in our world (i.e. WASPs). In turn, that respect brings La Cosa Nostra power outside of their world, along with influence and a network of contacts, both corporate and political.

So, how do you get into La Cosa Nostra, and what is the hierarchy you need to follow to get to the top? That's for the next article. But thanks for asking.

Watch your backs and keep your noses clean.
Report Post Tip
Comes in and sits down at a table, tying a napkin around his neck. He takes a fork and knife out of his coat pocket and looks around, licking his lips

Sounds delicious! I'll have my cod beer battered and deep fried, please!
Report Post Tip
Dear God.

It seems like someone has gone and plagiarised your hard work!
Report Post Tip
To his credit, he (MrGammy) never said he wrote it.
Report Post Tip
He still didn't cite his source, which makes it plagiarism.
Report Post Tip
The source uses a pseudonym, for all we know MrGammy could be the author.
Report Post Tip
Wow some people get up tight. I didn't write, never said I did. I am just passing on advice
Report Post Tip
If your intention was never to claim this work for your own, I owe you an apology, and if that's the case, I am sorry.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Mafia 101: The Family, The Structure, The Cod
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL