Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 18:22:48
Page:  1 
A slippery slope. Started by: Trigliani on Nov 18, '07 11:19
As a criminal defense attorney, Alberto Trigliani was no stranger to cunning and underhanded behaviour; but even though he was thought of by most as an unscrupulous vulture, he had always slept soundly in the knowledge that he was on the right side of the law.

Lately though, things had begun to change. His descent into a criminal lifestyle hadn't been alarming in the slightest. In his line of work, brushing shoulders with criminals was inevitable and it was representing a Cleveland Mob Boss in a tax evasion case that proved to be the biggest catalyst. Trigliani had gotten him off the hook and had been paid handsomely, and although he had never done so before, he couldn't stop himself asking where such a large amount of cash came from in such a short time.

The answers had made his head spin, and it wasn't long after that that he dipped his toe into the water. Nothing 'serious' he had told himself. After all, the banks were glorified loan sharks, so why shouldn't he do it?

It was barely noticeable, but Trigliani's loan sharking began to take precedence over his practice, even going as far to add interest on case fees that weren't paid on time, a risky practice given that most of his clients were dangerous people. Despite his constant self assurances and twisted logic, Alberto Trigliani was beginning to come to terms with the fact that he was indeed a criminal, and it was only going to be a matter of time before he was expelled from the bar.
Report Post Tip
Nikki had never asked for a penny in her entire life. In part, her self-actuated financial freedom was due to her upbringing, but not due to conservative teaching by her parents. Her father had been gunned down early in her youth for owing too much money to the wrong person, and her mother had just recently passed, leaving Nikki with a sizeable inheritance of loan payments that were due too long ago.

She didn't have much in this world, and now that both of her parents were gone, she had even less. Everyone had a price, and in order to keep from swimming with the fishes, Nikki had to put a tag on her pride and dignity. It killed her to ask for money to pay off someone else's loans. She could see the vicious cycle she was about to start, but saw no other way.

Stopping in front of the brick building, she confirmed the addresses were correct. They were, but everything felt weird. This was the RIGHT part of town, where upper middle class families lived, and small businesses thrived. She expected to find a decent shylock right outside her apartment door in one of the shady 'banks' next to the live adult shows and houses of ill repute. Instead of a sign that said "Fast Loans, Money Today" she stared into a polished brass sign with the word "Esquire" following a very lawyeresque name.

"Lawyers and loanbrokers."

She sighed, as it was a hard bet to determine which one would be more crooked. Perhaps the sum of two shady characters would prove to be better than she dreaded.

Raising a weary fist to the door, she rapped three times and waited for the axe to fall.
Report Post Tip
Trigliani closed the folder and looked up as his secretary showed a young woman in. Despite being tired and tetchy, he noticed her immediately as being a deer in the headlights, her eyes darting over his office as if trying to take in every detail. He knew the type of person she was, trying to eke out a living in a country full of crooks; he didn't know, however, what this frightened woman was doing in his office.

He felt a stab of compassion for her before a wave of anger took over. He shoot a look at his secretary, he had told her to clear all appoitments for today. He expected her too look abashed at the least, but she just smiled sweetly and left the room. With an inward sigh, Trigliani smiled genially at the woman

Good morning, Miss...
Report Post Tip
She licked her dry lips and attempted a smile.

Good morning, sir. I'm, eh...

"Handshake, Nikki. Stop looking like such a floundering idiot..." She extended her hand and approached with forcefed confidence.

I'm Nikki Phoenix. Thank you for seeing me. I know you're a very busy man. If you have a few moments, I'd like to discuss some business with you. An uncle of mine gave me your card and told me to contact you.

"I shouldn't have come here," she thought. "I should just walk right out, sell The Phoenix, and move far, far away." Again, she smiled, and could only imagine how pathetic she must have looked.
Report Post Tip
Trigliani smiled again as he took this enigma's hand. Her skin was like taffeta he thought idly, before cursing himself inwardly. He was acting like a teenager, and a stupid one at that. He clenched his jaw and waved his hand vaguely at a chair

Please Miss Phoneix, take a seat. My name's Alberto Trigliani, criminal defense attorney, but I suppose you know that already or else you wouldn't be here.

Trigliani attempted another smile but cringed inwardly. Furrowing his brow, he reflected upon the ridiculousness of this situation, he was a man who got guilty people off the hook, or gave backhanders to common thugs; so what the hell was this mysterious woman doing in his office?

What can I help you with?
Report Post Tip
Taking the offered seat, she swirled her next statement around in her mouth, tasting her words as she would a fine wine, only what she was about to ask was more like vinegar to her palette. She wanted to just spit it out and be done with it, but negotiations such as these required tact, something she hoped she possessed.

Mr. Trigliani, I own a nightclub in Las Vegas. Its called The Phoenix, and every nail in that building was put there with my own hard work. Every penny I have is in the wood and in the walls. I live and breathe for that place, and it sustains me. I don't know if you travel to the desert often, but I assure you it is a beautiful establishment, and I'm about to lose it.

Her nostrils flared, but she fought back the urge to cry. She needed a steady voice for the next part. This may be her first time asking for money, but she wasn't going to play the pity card. Poverty and a life on the run was a far better option.

My mother recently passed, and it has come to my attention that she owed a great deal of money to a number of very important people. Those debts have seen their way to my door, and I am now in need of a miracle.

Her eyes lowered to the floor momentarily as she collected her thoughts. A moment later, she lifted her head to look again into his face.

I've heard tell of your ability to solve problems. For a price of course.
Report Post Tip
Trigliani understood at once, and his heart went out to this young woman. He saw her struggle to stay controlled, and he admired her for it. Reaching for a legal pad and his beloved Mont Blanc pen, he got ready to take notes

Well firs of all Miss Phoenix, we need to establish who these important people are, and whether we have a case against them. Secondly, we need to review the situation with your Bar and see if there's any way you can get tax redemptions from Nevada State. Sadly, I don't know the possibility of that, my knowledge of Nevada state law is sketchy at best.

There are other options of course, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Trigliani smiled reassuringly and waited for Nikki Phoenix
Report Post Tip
Nikki nodded, and appreciated his sincere attempt to help, but was unable to determine if he knew exactly the kind of people she was dealing with.

The gentlemen She coughed her, at the use of the word. my mother owed operate well outside the scope of the law. As did my mother. I hardly doubt that a legal case would dissuade them from coming after me, and not just to recoup their financial losses.

She leaned forward, placing her hands on the handsome desk, still refusing to let the emotions pummeling her inside to come out through her words. Her eyes, however, told the story that her pride could permit her to say.

And no offense, Mr. Trigliani, but I wasn't referred to you based on your legal expertise.
Report Post Tip
The last sentence had hit Trigliani like a sledgehammer, knocking the wind out of him. "This is it," he thought; "this is what I'll look back on when I think of the defining moment, I actually have a reputation for being a crook."

He shuffled some papers around his desk, and finally stopped, looking dead at Nikki Phoenix through his square framed spectacles.

Very well Ms. Phoenix. What is it th...ah...well, How much do you...?

He'd being doing this for months now, yet he was still fumbling and faltering like a naughty school boy, especially in this woman's presence. He gave himself a mental slap on the wrist before he continued.

How much do you need?

As soon as the words were out, he felt a familiar rush of adrenaline. What if it was a cop? As always, he tried to reassure himself. It was only illegal if they could prove he was charging above the legal rate. As far as anyone was concerned, he was perfectly legal.
Report Post Tip
There was no use in metaphors, or in delaying the inevitable. Her eyes were starting to redden from the war she'd waged against the tears.

My life is worth seventy five thousand dollars.

Having said it, she breathed deeply. Not in relief but in fear. This man, this stranger, was her absolute last resort. Her apartment was all packed, everything pawned or trashed. If she failed here, the next flight out of the country was her only option.

And in that instant, the war was over. The last stronghold had been compromised and a tear fell from her eyes, victoriously landing on her cheek.

Seventy five thousand dollars that I don't even owe, but that still define my existence.

She sank into the chair, broken and exhausted.
Report Post Tip
"Shit, what is this, she's crying?" Trigliani tried to think. Desperately. He was pretty sure she wasn't faking to get the money. The solitary tear looked too convincing. But what the hell was he meant to do? Was putting a comforting arm around a complete stragner too creepy? Not to mention breaking down the lawyer-client barrier. He knew there was only one thing he could say

Ms. Phoenix. 75 grand is a lot of money, I can't just make it out in a check, and it's going to take time to get that all in cash. I'm talking four days to a week.
Report Post Tip
Nikki smiled, though it wasn't genuine at all. She stood, smoothed her skirt and extended her hand to the lawyer again.

Yes, I understand how much it is, and please accept my apologies, Mr. Trigliani for wasting your very valuable time. Thank you for seeing me.

The envelope in her jacket pocket held fifteen hundred dollars and a passport, all that she had left after the one hundred grand she'd already paid. It was enough to get her someplace warm, and to start another life, or relive this one. The Phoenix had been more than just a nightclub. It had been her rebirth. She thought she had left the life of dancing half naked for wealthy businessmen just to pay the rent. The Phoenix was extravagance, far more than she deserved, and had it not been for a very cunning business arrangement, she would have never afforded it.

Now she had nothing left but the clothes on her back, and one last goodbye.

I'll see myself out.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A slippery slope.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL