Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 17:15:13
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
Wacked thread warning Started by: CrazyNine on Aug 23, '09 02:37

It has happened to me on more than one occasion that I lay out a pretty well thought out reply (at least for my level of proficiency) and I'm about to make my voice heard and only after typing the whole thing and clicking do I get notified that the thread has been wacked.

Perhaps we could make the "quick reply" button disappear if the thread has been wacked or locked. It would save some people the time we waste in replying to something that will not take our opinion into consideration.

Thank you for reading.

Report Post Tip

Makes sense.

Report Post Tip

Personally, I don't view this as being an issue.

Threads that are wacked/locked are normally fairly obvious to most users. If you see one, simply don't waste your time in posting in it as chances are it will be removed. If you have something important you want to raise, start your own (not going to be wacked) thread to discuss it or simply mail the person in question to explain your point.

It's such a minor issue that I can't see any justification for increasing the bandwith usage and some troublesome coding to give the 'quick reply' button a dynamic check on if the thread still exists.

Report Post Tip

Unless I make a back up copy in a notepad of everything I'm about to post, not always will I realize which thread was locked. I admit it's just a matter of personal frustration after several times I lost all what I had written because after you go to the failure page you can't hit the back button and get your text back.

I also didn't think it would be such a difficult thing to code. I have seen many forums with this feature so I thought it was a very simple thing to do, but if it is really a pain in the butt for a coder, I'd understand if this gets ignored.

Report Post Tip

If the thread is one which will/should be wacked (very few threads will be locked, unless awaiting a decision from admins on whether it should be allowed/deleated), that is what will happen.

Why make a post in a thread which will shortly be deleated at all?

If the point is one worthy of being made, it's very easily raised in a new thread debating/discussing the topic in general and raising the point you wish to make.

Posting it in a thread which will be removed, including all posts made in it, seems wasteful. The idea of then requiring coding to let people know the moment the thread has been wacked seems a step with little/no benefit, but that's just my personal opinion.

If it does happen, simply assume your post had been made... and then removed along with the thread and all replies as would have happened at some time in the future in any case.

Report Post Tip

While I think about what I'm going to say, I realize it fits perfectly if I was trying to be sarcastic, but everything I will say is with good intentions and not trying to be rude.

I guess 8 years of playing will let you realize before hand what threads will be whacked. Or maybe I'm just not that bright. I couldn't tell that the thread in which I tried to post today was gonna be whacked. And even if it gets deleted afterward, there is still a chance it may get read.

But I agree it's a way not to get too frustrated about it.

Report Post Tip

i find keeping posts short works pretty well.

Report Post Tip

I don't understand what you mean, try-6. You mean as a way to not get frustrated if you lose your post?

In any case, that's not the way to go for me. Keeping posts short won't help you earn much respect around here.

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Wacked thread warning
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL