Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 14:11:12
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
Replying to a post! Started by: SkullCandy- on Sep 08, '09 17:09

In a thread if say someone asks a question inside that thread t think a reply button on that post would be a good idea..

"whats your favourite song of all time?"

Someone replies in that thread, for example
"Sweet home alabama"
Someone else then asks.
"who is that song by"

someone should then be able to click a button that says reply to post or something and answer his question. if and when someone does answer the question. The person that asked the question gets a personal, like their DL flashes and says something like

"Terry-Pratchet1234 replied to your post in "whats your favourite song of all time?"

The part that says "whats your favourite song of all time?" would be a link which you can then click to take you to the thread to view the post that was in reply to the one with the question..

Sorry if not much of thta made sence im not so good at explaing things and everyone knows that the song was by lynnard skynnard..

I personally think this is a good idea and hope you all do too..
Thanks for your time.

S.Candy-

Report Post Tip

someone should then be able to click a button that says reply to post or something and answer his question. if and when someone does answer the question. The person that asked the question gets a personal, like their DL flashes and says something like

Or I can do this.

Report Post Tip

You can do what..?
Im confused.. O_o

Report Post Tip

Anubis was pointing out that in order to answer a question given in a post, you can use blockquote to highlight the area being addressed.

I don't believe this was the aim of your post though.

If I've understood it correctly, your idea is to highlight the answering of the question to the person who posted it by means of a personal (DL) message (which also links back to the thread).

Personally, I don't feel this is required. If you ask a question in a post, it's obviously a thread you have an interest in and will check back to when you have the time. The adding of extra 'buttons', to allow for this extra option, will just confuse new users. It's hard enough to get users to use the forums correctly as is, adding extra options with little benefit will only serve to lead to more misuse or incorrect use of the forums.

If we reach a stage where we no longer get a flood of one line responses, out of character posts, threads posted in the wrong forum, etc etc etc maybe it would be worth looking at additional options like this (I still wouldn't be a fan of this one tbh, as it's something that isn't required if people simply read the forums as they should)... but until then, I'd much rather see the focus on getting users to use the forums as they stand correctly.

Report Post Tip

It meant. that like on youtube.
if you have a youtube account and you have posted a reply on a video..
Other people are given the option to reply to that post...

And on YT (YouTube) you get an e-mail saying so and so has replied to your post on what ever video..

But i think this would be a good idea to work it as a personal that read something like so and so replied to your post in so and so thread
but the name of the thread was a link..

i understand what you mean where it's hard enough as it is but i thought this would make things slightly easier for if someone wants to reply to someones post but 5 or 6 people have posted after that post..

replying to that one would look odd and out of place so being given the option to reply to a certain post would be easier to continue a conversation.. and sure if you have the time to. you go back and look.. but if you forget then you can't really but with this personal that you get it can remind you about the thread and also give you the link to the question you may or may have asked..

Im not sre how to explain it but if i knew how to and if i could i would show you how i mean..

Report Post Tip

Also, rather than just a block with a lump of text inside, it should be aligned with the person who originally said it, the time it was said, and also a link to that particular post.

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Replying to a post!
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL