Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 03:48:31
Page:  1 
What do people give a shit about anymore? Started by: Credits on Oct 12, '15 17:24

Being an aged Don, my days spent pounding the cobbles on the street are fairly limited - I have people for that type of shit now, you understand - but I still, from time to time, like to wet my beak a little in the slummy joints where the gangsters and thugs hang out, just to make sure I haven't fallen too far out of touch with the wants and desires of the common man.

Why do I do this? Well, as a general rule, it is very hard to motivate someone if you don't know what drives him, so finding out what people are passionate about is an occupational necessity. For most men in our thing this is fairly easy; women, money and power. Given that I have the ability to provide all three, unless you've got a nace like Rusty's that is, I'm usually well set. However meeting such whims has a shelf-life and only works for a time, so once you get beyond these baser needs, it is crucial to appreciate the more subtle strings which must be pulled in order to get people to move the way that you want them to and on this one, well, I'm truly fucking lost. Seriously.

What are people even bothered about now? What do you like? What do you hate? Hell, it used to be that everyone had a hard-on about street presence, especially in their Dons, and now nobody bats an eye when someone who's really never opened their mouths in public gets given the nod, a district or even a city. Ok, well at least we all want to see how well bosses and capos handle their shit after a conflict, right? WRONG. Before this shit has even got heated people are waving the white flags and asking for everyone to bury the dead and get the fuck over it. Don't we care to see if a Don can stand up to scrutiny and explain their actions? Evidently not, I'm the clown apparently for carrying on, which leaves me puzzled as these things have motivated our society for years. 

And so, here I am, wondering to myself what it is exactly people give a shit about now? What do you actually want to see from your leaders, your families or even your rivals? What do you envisage for yourself in the future? For your family? Because at the moment, I don't know if the expectation level is just really low and people have become lethargic, content to sit around in a torpid state waiting for the next war to happen between mobsters they aren't really connected to, or if times have actually changed and people care about totally different things to previous generations, which I'm obviously not seeing?

Please let me know guys, open forum. I need some answers so I can resume manipulating motivating goombas into doing my bidding. And, as ever, comments on Rusty's ugly mug are also welcome. Thanks.

Report Post Tip

Sneaker is wandering down the street mindiing her own business as she always is when she hears someone pose a question. She thinks on it a minute and as is customary with her lineage she blurts out an answer.

No sooner did a relative of mine get to these shores, the very first message she got was to ask what she was here to bitch about. She took offense to this since her family hadn't been back to the Americas in nearly two years. She sent a letter back to the old Country to me that her mere presence seemed to ruffle feathers and promptly left this world. Our family still has friends in the Americas, many of them, and I found this in poor taste. I caught the next boat over and began contacting old family and friends. For me, my motivation is my family and friends here. When you hit these shores and are instantly surrounded by old family friends no other motivation is needed. As for your new Goombas, embrace, them, teach them, make them feel like you want them here (like they are part of a family) and they will be motivated. The one thing my family always was, and a trait I have running through my blood, is that we are great motivators. When it's family, we care. It shows.

Sneaker flipped a dime into a hobo's extended cup and went on her way.

Report Post Tip

Forrest stood and listened to Credits. The question the old Don was posing was indeed a very interesting one, a question that required considerable thought before Forrest decided to reply. Lighting up a cigarette, he began to speak.

I think many people are chasing a dream, whether that be leading their own crew, becoming a capo or becoming a respected speaker on the streets. But their leaders and mentors can only help them so much. As the old saying goes;  you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.

The simple fact is, no matter how hard we push people, what we offer them or the magnitude of time and effort we put in. In simple terms, people have to grab life by the horns and go and get them. An extreme example, but an effective one nonetheless, was when SpaceMountain and his allies removed the much feared and very powerful Roman and co.

This was an extremely difficult task, one that they had no doubt dreamed about and planned many times, no matter how many times they told each other they could do it, they had to grab life by the horns and get it.

It seems that in our society today, people have less ambition. (I’m not simply talking about destroying regimes) but in terms of what they want to achieve on a personal level. People on the whole seem to be much more content committing petty crimes and the collecting the occasional payments from their prostitutes. The drug trade has also largely taken over. People’s interests largely seem to be vested in making as much money as humanly possible. There are clearly people out there who break the mould, who no longer wish to live in obscurity and want to achieve more.  Unfortunately, they are however in the minority.

Whether these changes are for better or worse, is for you as individuals to decide, but in my opinion our way of life, in its best form has declined dramatically.

Forrest extinguished his cigarette on the ground, making sure it was out he took a step back, hoping his answer was satisfactory.

Report Post Tip
Over the years I see this brought up, people not finding motivation to come speak in the street, and probably for good reason.

It's not easy bringing words to light that can generate interest these days. Sadly it seems more like a sit in a circle around the camp fire of towns square for story telling. Something im not fond of but hey too each is own. At least there is an effort in a sense.

Given the current circumstances it has never held me back from making an appearence, granted, some are rather off the wall but from time to time off the wall appearances actually generate the most attention, and obviously have a meaning hidden within it.

My advice? Stand in front of the audience, and start rambling. Eventually something will spark your interest within you own speech and from there the ability to mold it how you want will arise. That's how I do it, but of course I'm a nutjob who's motivated by my own ass shaking through the community. Not quite as good as Visas though. I mean cmon, DAT ASS!
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $200,000 Tip

* Tips hat and takes swig * 

I think it comes down to one thing- Change people always want change. 

Those in power, struggle to find new things to implement or the means to implement them. While, those not in power crave a change that would see their idea's put in place. People don't understand in general until they have been their how difficult it can be to effect any sort of change in our world. 

Me I want change, not necessarily with who is in power but in how things are structured and or viewed. I am motivated to work to achieve a station in our world that will allow me to effect that change if even on a small sample size for example hopefully if the stars align my own HQ to fumble about in. 

*Smiles thinking, that was super vague yet enlightening*  

Report Post Tip

Gierstrad began wandering in the streets after completing his extortion runs for the day. Turning around the alley, he heard the great Don Credits share a valuable question that will create an impression to those who truly care. Gierstrad felt compelled to answer.

"This Thing of Ours is really interesting, especially for the bold and courageous. Despite all of the rewards presented by our world, it all boils down to priorities. One mobster can aspire for top-tier leadership, while another is just looking forward to build friends and connections. But the human mind is fickle, indeed. The higher you go in the ladder, the greater the rewards, and the danger as well. The temptation to climb the power ladder is high.

On a personal note, I truly enjoy the immersion in this world. The strings, unwritten rules, street presence, connections, silent talks and deals, takeovers, etc. - they bring a different form of excitement, which makes me yearn for more. Relatively, this factor allows me to push harder. New Goombas should - in my view - push for immersion at first. Once fully immersed, the 'goal' will appear, and this will probably be the motivation needed. We all know how important motivation is."

Gierstrad lit a cigarette, and quickly drafted a mental note of his goals. 

~

Report Post Tip

Personally, I care about seeing things improved. I have found many that will jump to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." My question is, why can't we aim to improve it. Sure for some it may not be broken, but for others it could be just the opposite. We are all different and think differently. That is the beauty of being an individual.

So what interests me? Seeing the city I am apart of doing the best that they can. Putting forth an effort, not just waiting and being as inactive as it can possibly be in hopes of not causing conflict. I want to see people training their members properly, not belittling them or pretending that just because they are low rank they deserve a pile of shit thrown at them.

I want to see better. Better effort, better ideas and better improvements. I won't go into everything I think could be improved upon and this was just a bit of an example but being better is what interests me.

Report Post Tip

I'm not quite sure what people care about these days. Mostly themselves, I feel. I can tell you what they don't care about though, Credits' God awful hair doo. 

Sadly, he is oblivious to his lack of fashion sense and keeps taking these fucken selfies.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $200,000 Tip

It's an interesting question - what do people care about?  You look around and you may think that people only care about petty crimes and selling drugs.  But I'm not so sure.  Take a closer look and you may be surprised at what you see.

People do spend a lot of time doing those things.  And when I say a lot of time, I mean A LOT of time.  They are awake far more hours than they are asleep.  They dedicate themselves to this life.  And if you think it's to do some petty crimes and sell a few drugs, I think you're wrong. 

Just take a look at some of those HQs around here.  Look at how well they're fortified and how well those leaders are protected.  It's an impressive sight to see.  And how do you think that happens?  It's all because of the efforts of those people who spend a lot of time working those street corners and stealing from the old ladies.   And they don't do it to line their pockets.  They do it for the benefit of their families. 

So - I don't see a lack of ambition.  In fact, I see a lot of ambition, some serious loyalty, and a lot of people working together for a common goal. 

That being said - that doesn't mean things are perfect.  Do changes need to be made?  Sure, it would be nice if there would be some changes. 

I would love to see some more conversations in the streets, and some other changes, but not because I see a lack of ambition, but because I see a way where we can have more fun while we steal from the old ladies. 

Report Post Tip

Argile was walking down street when he he heard some very respected people speaking. Normally He didnt get involved in these conversations

except on very rare occasions. However this conversation and those engaging in it seemed to truly want input even from those like himself who 

had no long bloodline. This appearing to be the case, he decided to respectfully listen and engage. 

After listening for a while, he realized he may actually be able to contribute something here. 

"Sirs and Maams' I have listened with respect and want to provide input as to an answer to your question". "the basic question as I 

understand it is what do people care about enough to take to streets and discuss." "There are many of us who are very new to this life and have no illustrious bloodlines to rely on. "many feel these streets are for weighty important discussions that should be left to those who are far more renowned than themselves". 

"It may be a paradox that is at play here, We preach respect and show decorum to those in positions of respect"  "The problem may be that residents new to this life may be taking that message too far and feel they are not important enough to voice opinions alongside such distinguished persons such as yourself."  "Some feel that such important people here that the format or way they get message out may not be clean enough or clear enough, untill they learn how to do that better.  

"It is usually why newcoomers practice their delivery in business districts and bars and coffee shops where they can practice, and not offend anyone here"  I dont have answer to this paradox but In my humble way, I present this to your all learned consideration"

With that all being said, he truly hoped he hadnt been percieved wrong or offended anyone, so he tipped his hat and  made room for them.

Report Post Tip

I give a shit about a good story. This world is a rat race; the race is endless but the rats aren't. That gives everyone the chance to write a badass rags-to-riches-to-power-to-bitches epic for the ages. And every time people hearken back to "the days of old" there's a story to go with it. I'm not going to comment on whether or not there have been any good stories as of late, because I don't pay enough attention and don't know how people remember the recent past. However, I would like to say simply and succinctly; I give a shit about legends and wish we had more of them. I think our culture is predisposed to them (everyone has at least a few that come to mind when I say it), and I think they're what gives this rat race its greatness.

Report Post Tip

Living

Report Post Tip

Thetowndrunk slowly comes conscious after clearly being passed out for too long.  He looks down at his crotch and sees a large urine stain.  He shrugs and takes another swig from his 3/4ths empty bottle of moonshine and steadies himself upright.

"Well - This game does have a lot of monotony at times.  So - giving a shit is to me about changing it up.  It's gotta be a good variety.  Vodka one day, rye the next and moonshine the day after that - of course always flushed with copious amounts of beer."

Thetowndrunk stops to think about his simile.

"I hope you get what I'm saying.  Sometimes - you rank up and become prominent.  Other times - perhaps you stay in the shadows and just pay your dues, and hang out with the mobsters that you know well.  Make it different.  When you get bored - change it up."

Thetowndrunk stumbles a little, sips his moonshine and slumps back down.

Report Post Tip
Experience. As you well know, Don Credits, mio famiglia has always sought to feel the world around them as a true experience, to live the life of a man of la cosa nostra.

What does a man who has filled his cup with what he craved do, once he has all he can take? Well, since the day you gave me the opportunity to in Bella Vista, I've been passing that cup round and letting others wet their beaks with what it is they desire to achieve from our world.

My ambition is theirs and I'd be happy to house anyone else who is looking for what I was, all those months ago.
Report Post Tip

It remains and always will remain that people have a paradoxical love/hate relationship with wars, and that will never truly be reconciled.

Those who die in wars, particularly those shot in their sleep, often their kin vow to 'never return' or they participate in a flippant manner for as long as it takes for them to forget how hard their father's worked. Once they forget, they start building up again. Rinse, repeat.

Those who survive in wars, particularly those who sit in the sidelines and watch it like a nickelodeon, revel at their rise in age and notoriety as some older birds are pushed aside. That is until they die, as previously explained. Rinse, repeat.

However, the worst remains the periods of drought. The times when there are no wars to speak up. Months go by, everyone ages, stagnation occurs, there truly is nothing to live for. Because let's face it, peace is boring. I believe TheDean's long and monotonous reign was an epoch representative of that. And so people begin longing for wars in which they are met with one of the two aforementioned outcomes.

And so, people never truly come to terms with what they want out of war. It's a cyclical paradox in which there is no answer.

There's not really much of a point to it all, really.

Report Post Tip

I think the love/hate relationship we have for wars is built on the fact that we love killing and hate dying. When people lose wars, their kids come back decrying the turmoil; full of rage for the seeming bloodlust that ended the lives of their predecessors. When people are without wars for a while, they miss the excitement of putting an end to the months of work of their rivals. But when people win wars, they revel in the excitement, camaraderie, and bloodshed that only wars can bring. Additionally, wars are pure competition. Only the strongest survive.

We're here to win yet we know we all lose sometime. Could you imagine if people came to the Streets gloating after winning a war the same way people bitch and whine about losing? That'd be a fucking spectacle. But as long as we have the enmity for losing and addiction to winning, there will always be that cycle and shift between war and peace.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What do people give a shit about anymore?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL