Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 01:54:11
Page:  1 
Tightrope Walking Started by: Vito_T on Sep 30, '09 20:13

Vito strings a rope between two light-posts in downtown Philadelphia, removes his wingtips, strips his socks and hops onto the rope.  He paces carefully back and forth on the tightrope, eyes fixed on his next step.  He looks up and notices that, predictably, a small crowd has gathered.

This thing of ours is a fickle mistress, there is a subtle balancing act involved when one decides to open their mouth under any circumstance.  It's tightrope walk where any misstep will almost certainly lead to a fall.  It's the medium that determines how hard that fall is.  I know this all seems obvious; that some arguments aren't meant to be had in the streets.  Some things that are perfectly acceptable and often productive in a private setting become disrespectful and distasteful when brought up in public.  Yet they still are, and the results have become predictable.  Let's be honest, we've all listened to someone air their grievances from their soapbox, then checked around the next day to see if they've been killed for their words.  Are you ever surprised when you saw that they were?  Of course not.  If you claim you were, you're lying.  You wouldn't have checked if there wasn't some small part of you that thought they deserved it.  Right?

When one speaks their mind on the street corners, the rope is substantially higher and the winds gust a little stronger compared to other realms of communication.  To add to this, the crowds gather with the hope that a stray breeze, a frayed rope or a wet shoe will cause the acrobat to lose his footing.  Sure, they'll ghasp as you fall to your death and they'll clutch their pearls, but you'll never see them look away.  After all, they've come to see blood.  Street preaching is not for the faint of heart nor those who have poor control over their opinions.  Choose a new medium.  Or don't, and give the people what they came to see.

Report Post Tip

It's true what you say, Vito.  A man has to be careful what he says in the streets.  I'm not sure if this is more true than it was some time ago, or if people speaking above their rank has become more common, but instances such as those that you speak of certainly are more common.  Fair or not, we all know of the possible consequences for our actions, and I think that most who are killed for them know what they are in for.  If they say that they don't, as you say, they are likely lying as well.  The status quo must be maintained, however, if we expect our tightly regimented community to exist as it does, and as it has for as long as I can remember.

Report Post Tip

Lovely observations.

I'd only want to add that its just as dangerous to speak below one's rank.

Report Post Tip

Very true, I've only been around here for awhile and seen the consequences for making the wrong statements in the streets.  I believe that you must choose your words carefully and be mindful of your statis in this world before you speak.  Very well said Vito_T.

Report Post Tip

An excellent speech, sir.

Surely of all the qualities a great street speaker should have, "discretion" is right near the top. One is always accountable for their words and actions in our business. While some men consider their message worth the risk, it's important for all to understand the potential consequences of opening your mouth in public.

Report Post Tip

very true sir.its really like a tight rope walking when you had a major mistake in your speech it is like stepping into air and falling with your head first..

i have to agree with astray too..respect is given on  ranks and it must be there when you are having a speech.

Report Post Tip

Street speaking demonstrates the ability to use diplomacy, exercise power, be intelligent, and show an understanding of how this thing of ours operates. This is one reason why it is of critical importance that someone have a street presence before they are given the chance to lead their own family. If they cannot walk the tightrope, how can they be responsible for the welfare of 50 mobsters under them? I honestly do not believe that is something that is even considered today.

I have never seen more mutes wearing bold suits than at the present time. I have to wonder, do they even know what they are doing? I am pretty sure they do not. As has been said one hundred times over, the heart and soul of this thing is our streets. The way to earn widespread respect is in the streets. The place to set an example to those who look up to you is in the streets. The place to pass on the knowledge that the more experienced have developed is in the streets. The place to kick back and have a good time is in the streets. And, the place to demonstrate your own knowledge of our business is in the streets.

The streets have always been a fickly mistress. Any idiot can keep their mouth shut and do petty crime after petty crime until they earn the rank of Consigliere. The key word there, is "idiot". It takes someone with a little bit of potential to continually walk that tightrope day after day, and survive to the same rank. So why, then, do we give the mute idiot, who has proven nothing, the opportunity to lead their own family and act as role models for groups of fifty?

I spend most of my time in the streets. I look at the delusional ramblings of many Bosses and Captains (thank God, the Godfathers usually know what they are talking about...usually) and wonder just what in the fuck they are doing wearing a bold suit. And these are the ones who are actually doing some rambling! Who knows what the mutes are thinking? Do they have a clue at all? I honestly fear for the future of Cosa Nostra, not because of the usual things like 'oh noez they killed the newb he will nev0r come back!', but because the people who the new immigrant looks up to as a role model has his or her head lodged so far up their ass that they cannot even see sunlight...much less see our streets.

It's a tightrope, but one that needs to be walked. If you don't walk it, you really shouldn't expect to go far in this thing of ours. Unfortunately, some authing authorities still give these mutes that opportunity. Shame on them.

Report Post Tip

I wonder how many of the Bosses and Captains are even aware they've actually been insulted?

~T~

Report Post Tip

Mayor-Herenton thinks to himself, because he knows someone will want him dead if he says what he feels.  Thinking to himself, Tallien I bet they are aware they are being insulted, but will choose not to respond because it will be breaking Rule Number 1 of the "Quiet Society".  I guess my cousins before me had a point.

Mayor, hoping no one heard his thoughts, walks off up the alley.

Report Post Tip

I find myself enjoying the newest worldwide feature brought about by the Gods: the ability to search the Street for past conversations by mafiosos. While others claim to be "quite vocal" in the Streets, it's a much different story when it turns out all of their original conversations are restricted to their Headquarters or pointless ramblings on Suggestion Streetway a few blocks over.

Report Post Tip

I agree with what is said here... and couldn't help but be intrigued by the anagram of a tight rope. However, I feel it is extremely important for someone to stress their views as much as possible to express where exactly they stand and demonstrate that the point they are making is backed with strong evidence, or belief, so that their point is taken seriously and viewed in its full meaning.

I think, however, that when someone not only expresses their opinion, but criticises someone elses, or makes their humble opinion appear superior to another persons, things can become very uneasy. After all, thats what these streets are for, and we are all entitled to our own opinion, some people just see it as their opinion being more important than someone elses... That to me is not for the Streets.

Report Post Tip

I find it ironic that a speech pointing out that people wander the streets hoping to catch see precursor to a disaster, has somehow provoked conversations which, by my own estimations, are precursors to disaster.

Some people have looked too deeply into my words and have found implications and accusations where none exist.  Perhaps this is my fault for not being an effective communicator, or perhaps it's the result of a particular mindset.  Perhaps it's the inevitable consequence of dozens of armed, jumpy gangsters arranged in unsteady pacts of mutually assured destruction.  Or maybe people just enjoy the adrenaline rush that accompanies a good war.  It's probably all the above.

Listen to the comments ladies and gentlemen.  I assure you anyone seeing an accusation, or commentary on leadership, or an opinion on a policy is a shining example of the mentality I'm speaking of.

Report Post Tip

My response was in reference to the Ox's comments.

Just so we're clear.

~T~

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Tightrope Walking
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL