Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 06:42:15
Page:  1 
Voices to be Heard? Started by: Quirinus on Oct 07, '09 20:48

Disregarding the group of mobsters milling about the empty street, Quirinus leans back and crossed his arms. Kicking one leg back and taking a deep breath, he let out a loud shout. Seeing as he got the attention of a few, he nodded and took a deep breath.

I have another question to pose to whoever happens to hear and feels the need to answer. The reasons for such a question I shall keep my own, save one I shall reveal. However, please note that this is an attempt to hear opinions not force them onto others.

I have a voracious curiosity...shocking as it may be.

For too long now I've not had the joys of participation in a discussion or debate, call it what you will, on matters that are so highly regarded in this Thing of Ours. So I'm going to attempt to ignite, if only for a brief moment, a discussion.

Quite simply, how does one judge someone's street presence? Going with the assumption that there is not one standard but many, I'd like to see an open forum here about the matter.

My opinion on the matter is as follows...I care less for the amount of times one speaks on the streets as opposed to what the actually say. Too often I see the same things over and over in topics and I'm beginning to wonder if that is a result of certain conditions that are imposed on, via hearsay that is for I claim no intimate knowledge of other crews, by Crew Leaders.

Reason being, I believe that is how empty words get spoken so repetitiously in our streets. It is a rut that catches our youngest and keeps them from ever leaving. Therefore I'd like to argue the point that quality should be held as a highest standard from which to judge the soundness of the minds that brave themselves to withering criticism.

I mean...that's what street presence is all about right? To see who has a spark, THE spark if you will, and who doesn't?

Report Post Tip

Those who would shout cliches from the street-corners in order to get promoted, likely will.  However, their laziness and haste won't go unnoticed and they won't be allowed very far up the ladder.

Such a practice is not without its drawbacks.  A good earner who is loyal, bright, and experienced can delay his own deserved promotion if he has a perfectionist nature and won't compromise his quality in the streets.

Of course, I'm speculating.  These are the positives I can deduce from such requirements.  Overall, I believe when properly applied, it's a good practice.  It visibly separates those who have wisdom and creativity from those whoare rash, impatient and only care about advancement.

Report Post Tip

Again as you both have said, speculation on my part - I would assume that any leader requiring a street voice for ranking would also require quality.  If say a member meets the X required number but the leader or his designee looks at speeches and sees that half of this member's replies are one or two word "congrats on Don" or the ilk, then those particular replies would not be counted toward the number required. 

Any of our leaders who have gotten to where they are, I am sure, are capable of judging quality and if demanding quantity would perhaps also state that the words spoken by their members needs to reflect thought and add an addition to a speech rather then detract from it.

Report Post Tip

The bottom line is definitely quality over quantity. With CLs, for example, I don't like them being mute but I do prefer a few well placed, well thought out remarks, versus constant drivvel at any opportunity.

Report Post Tip

"Personally, I stay away from every 'Swell my ego' speech I see. I don't understand why we need to know when someone reaches the rank of Don, nor do I find point in congratulating people for every single slight change in this world."

"If a new crew leader is announced, wonderful. However I will lay off dancing through the streets with confetti and banners until they prove it was a good decision to be granted this opportunity. Even then the confetti and banners may not make an appearance."

"It takes time and the gradual noticing of a persons character in his words for a reputation to build. I do not judge anyone by the amount of times they have been in the streets, or started a speech. I wait until I hear them myself."

Report Post Tip

It took everything in me not to just come here, yell "good point" and run off, just to illustrate your point and to be my usual smart ass.  But I do want to address this issue because it's an important one. 

Street presence is viewed differently by different people.  Based on the wide variety in number of times crewleaders have been to these streets, it's clearly viewed differently by crewleaders.  Some find a presence very important, others don't find it important at all.  And others will preach to the world that it's important to them, when really they could care less. 

But to get back to your point - I don't think there is much debate.  Quality should be viewed much more favorably than quantity.  Obviously many of us will definte quality differently.  I definte quality as taking the time to come up with a thought provoking reply, and/or taking the time to provide a little entertainment to the masses.  And for those still upset about my tendency to mock some youngsters, just because I mock you doesn't mean I don't find your speeches to be more quality than quantity. 

But you, my friend, are preaching to the choir.  Because those who don't believe street presence is important won't be here for precisely that reason. 

I will say that I see quite a bit of quality out there.  But the number of those who prefer quantity will always outweigh those who prefer quality.  It is a fact of life in this world we live in. 

As to Vito's comments - I would love to believe what you say, but I don't think it's true.  I think laziness and haste have gotten plenty of people high up that ladder.  Advancement is the only goal of many. 

Report Post Tip

Well my friend I quite agree with your position. It is not always the volume that one speaks but the words they choose to speak. If you come to the streets to speak then it should be for something worthy of sharing with others. Should you find a Godfather or Boss of a family out here speaking frequently probably not. They are running a crime syndicate they are not a bunch of barkers at a carnival. The people who should be running the streets should be the made guys who work them. It all depends on what your personal thoughts are. However, with that there are just some matters that must be put forth by those who should refrain from flooding the streets. 

Takes his coat and throws it over his shoulder and walks off down the street.

Report Post Tip

I think a disciplined self-restraint should the order of the day. Omerta is, and should be, one of the cornerstones of this thing of ours. There's no room for the loose cannon, even one that entertains us. The same loose cannon that we all laugh with could well have us put six feet under. So, I'm definately no fan of quantity for its own sake. There is such a thing as speaking too much.

Even so, its been said that the streets are our lifeblood and complete silence would kill them. And, part of making it in this world is knowing how to handling yourself on the street. A mafioso who can't handle themselves on the street brings negative attention to him or herself, and, at best, ends up practicing the resentful silence of bitterness, rather than the disciplined silence of Omerta. At worse, he or she keeps talking; and we all have to listen to it. So, making street speaking a requirement can only be a good thing, and provides a way of separating the wheat from the chaff. It forces a mafoso to prove their street cred.

Report Post Tip

takes in the conversation as he is passing by and stops for a moment

Well here it goes for me I look at two things mostly and have to say I completley disagree with those whom say things like this:

Should you find a Godfather or Boss of a family out here speaking frequently probably not.

First things first what I look at when someone is speaking.
1 Is what your saying intelligent, delivery aside and sarcasm or decorum aside do you have merit in your statement. I think far to often people pay attention to how instead of the what. To me it is all about WHAT you say. Are you rambling about saying "Congrats so and so" or things of that nature or are you putting your foot and head forward saying something that some might not like but has merit.
2 Are you willing to stand for what you say and believe, I think to many people are afraid to hear and speak what needs to be said. It is much easier to hide behind a veil of Omerta which is commonley miss appropriated in our world. I gain respect for someone's family line who will stand up and speak knowing that it could lead to a akward outcome for them. Now does it mean someone should stand on their proverbial soap box yelling "Such and Such killed so and so and doctored the WS statement to set whom ever up" NO. That is and always will be a breach of this thing of ours. How ever for example to point out a general flaw they percieve in our world is different.

Now since it was brought up Leaders are meant to do just that, LEAD you do that by being out front. I firmly believe Leaders need to be in our streets and an active part of them. That is why I am with Tallien, I want someone who is unafraid to stand behind what he see's and says. Same with Butt Ox etc. All those others whom believe once a leader you become introverted and have no need for our streets are more or less house keepers from that point on. You need balance of course, but to forsake what many consider the backbone of our world simply lacks in leadership.

looks around and awaits more of this interesting conversation

Report Post Tip

Several good points I agree with Mr Hazelspoon_Flamegoo.  However as far as the leaders go, obviously I don't like to see a "mute" leader but I do believe we should be hearing from prospective leaders far more so that we get some insight into who and what they are.  I also would like to see less in the auth speeches of the generalized statements of bringing a city back to life and a bit more of actual plans to do so.  A lot of people I know will be saying "but we don't know if we are getting auth or not ahead of time"  Well, that may be true sometimes but if you are in the position of even being considered, you should all ready be known out here.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Voices to be Heard?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL