Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 13:44:14
Page:  1 
First Night in Town Started by: Franky_Costello on Oct 08, '09 05:13

Franky watched as the train came to a stop at the station. He stood up and grabbed his one suitcase from the storage compartment above him and walked to the exit door of the train. Stepping off he took in a deep breath of the slightly muggy air. He coughed a little of course he wasn't use to city air yet. He was from the old country where automobiles hadn't really began to pop up all over the place. His English wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. He had studied preparing for his trip long ago.

Franky stood on in the middle of the station looking around and thinking about where he should go and what should he do. He knew no one and had no connections to get him started. He put his hat on and picked up his suitcase and walked out the doors of the station. He couldn't believe the size of the buildings and how crowded it was around. People walking everywhere,cars zooming past him on the streets. He was amazed at it all.

Wow! Questo è niente come Catania. Molto occupato qui.

He began to walk down the street in the direction of most of the traffic and saw what looked like a food shop. He looked into the windows has he passed taking a glimpse of those inside eating. It had been nearly two days since he had a decent meal. On the boat over he only had a loaf of bread and a few slices of Prosciutto. Which he of course had to eat sparingly was a long ride over. Franky entered the shop and a woman approached him.

"How many?"

Franky was a bit confused for a moment. Then answered her.

One?

"Okay, Right this way."

Franky followed her to a table where she placed a menu down and he slid his suitcase in and sat down beside it. Picking up the menu he began to try to read it over and pick up on what he knew.

"What can I get ya to drink?"

Water,please.

The lady walked away and came back quickly with a glass of water and sat it on the table.

"You ready to order?"

No. Not quite ready.

"Okay,I'll be right over there when you are. Just holler."

Franky took a sip of the water and continued to look over the menu. While also continuing to think about where he would sleep tonight and what would he do in the morning. The woman came back a few minutes later and asked again if he was ready.

Yes, I will have a hamburger?

"With everything?"

Yes.

He had no idea what a hamburger tasted like but knew what when consisted of but had no idea what "everything" was at all. She soon brought his plate to him and sat it down in front of him.

"Enjoy."

Franky looked around watching another person eat what looked to be the same as what he had ordered and he began to eat it as the man was. After finishing his food Franky finished his water and took out some of his money. The woman soon returned and handed him a piece of paper.

"That will be a dollar fifty."

Okay. Ummm....here is...

Franky looked at the bills he had and began to try to count them out. He fiddled with a few of the bills for a moment then handed two of them to the lady hoping it was the right amount to give.

"You aren't from around here are you?"

No, I come from Italy.

"Thought so. There is a hotel about a block down the street you can stay there if you have no where else to stay. Tell the man at the front desk Martha sent you. It won't cost you much."

Okay,Thank you. Martha."

Franky picked up his suitcase and left the diner walking in the direction Martha told him the hotel was. He saw it from a distance and made his way there. Entering the building he walked up to the desk and spoke to the man at the front desk. Telling him Martha had sent him. The man reached behind him and pulled out a key handing it to Franky.

"Here ya go,mister. Walk up those stair and down the hallway last door on your left. That will be your room for the night. We will talk about payment in the morning."

Yes sir. Thank you.

Franky followed the mans instructions and found his room. He entered and then stepped back out quickly it was completely dark inside. He pulled out his lighter and struck it up. Holding the flame in front of him as he entered. He saw a bedside lamp on a desk and turned it on blowing out his lighter. He laid his things on the table and placed his hat on top of his suitcase. He was very tired and needed sleep badly. He laid down on the bed and began to think about his last few days.

The boat ride, the train ride, the shop, the busy streets. It had all been so much. He still had a lot of head of him as well. This however was his dream to start a new and make something of himself. He was finally in America. He took a heavy deep breath and sighed. Slowly he fell asleep.

Report Post Tip

Cato looks up from the corner of Martha's cafe where he had been enjoying his usual morning espresso with a selection of the local newspapers, and sees an oddly-dressed young man enter the cafe and be led to a table. The guy is obviously foreign, and from the few syllables that drift across the cafe Cato picks up a lilt of Italian - Sicily perhaps, maybe Catania. Something about the man drew Cato in - not the suit, not his experience or odd, awkward nature but the sheer optimism and drive of the individual. To make that kind of a journey and be polite, respectful and cheerful at the end of it was no mean feat. He thought back to his own arrival on these shores as a kid, and the turmoil he had witnessed first-hand. Before he had time to dwell on the newcomer, he had wolfed down his burger and left the cafe, apparently getting some directions from Martha on the way out. Cato assumed she had directed him to Marco's inn just down the street, and followed at a distance as the young man made his way in and up to his room. Still, something about this guy made Cato curious - that flash of potential that is lacking in so many young wannabes these days. Against his better judgement, and against his normal way of doing things ("let them come to you", his papa had told him), he checked his revolver was prepped and made his way into the hotel.

"Hey Marco, how's life, how's the family? And who's that new kid just gone up?"

"Hey Cato, my man, how are you? Been too long my friend! Yeh yeh all good, wife driving me crazy as usual - kid said his name was Franky, that's about it - you know what I think, the more you ask the more trouble you get."

"Sure Franky, I understand - I'm gonna go say good morning if you don't mind, introduce myself, you know".

"Ok buddy, but no shooting anyone this time - your mob cost me a dollar or two last time you made a mess of one of my rooms - laundry isn't cheap these days!"

"Yeh, sorry about that, catch you soon Marco".

Cato unrolls a 100-bill from a wad of cash and passes it across to Marco, whose face lights up. He then makes his way upstairs, counting the doors as he passes them, until he finds the one he's looking for. Checking his gun for the last time, he raps on the door loudly, but is surprised to find it swings open with his knock. The Italian is lying on his bed, half asleep, but the sound of the knock raises him and he leaps off the bed, reaching for the knife he keeps by his ankle.

"Woa, woa" , Cato says to calm the look in the Franky's eyes

"Firstly, this is business, not a wack, and secondly, that cute little blade you've got there isn't gonna get you far anyhow."

Franky, sensing the genuine tone of the older, well-dressed man lowers the knife

"Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Cato and I represent the organisation known as Redemption. You bake a pie, we have our finger in it before it's out the oven. You know a cop, he works for us, you go to court, we're paying the judge. Hell, we even provide the police dogs from our pedigree line, and don't get me started on our racehorses - beautiful. But enough of that. I saw something in you back there, a little bit of savvy, a bit of drive, a bit of the optimism these streets need. I'm suggesting that you come meet me tomorrow, at Martha's, 2pm for a chat. I've got a job I need doing and I think you're the man - let me down and you'll be at the bottom of the river before you blink. Impress me and this could be the best career move you ever made."

Cato looks the man in the eye, hoping he will agree to meet, but wondering whether the kid might just need some time to settle himself in. Carpe diem, he thinks to himself - this kid has to seize the day if he wants to succeed in this life.

Report Post Tip

Franky watched as the man left his room. Franky waited a few moments then rushed over to the door to make sure it was secure and locked. He didn't want any more people just walking in on him. He made his way back to the bed and laid back down. He was surely startled about the incident. He thought to himself awhile then once again fell asleep.

Report Post Tip

Franky soon woke up and got a shower then dressed. He had a busy day ahead of him. Making his way down stairs he met the front desk man and the man told him he had some people he should meet. To get a good start here. He handed Franky a piece of paper with some directions and names on it.

"Meet up with this guy. He could be some big help to you."

Okay,I will. Thank you. How much for the night?

"Don't worry about it that guy you met earlier he covered it for you."

Thank you again.

Franky made his way out the door and opened the paper up. He read it and made his way in that direction. It told him to meet up with a a man named Hurley at a local diner. Franky made his way to the diner and entered after looking around for a moment he saw the man he was supposed to be looking for in the back corner. He approached him.

Sir? Are you Mr.Hurley?

The man nodded and made a motion for Franky to take a seat. He did of course.

Marco at the hotel told me to meet you here. That you could possibly help me out.

I'm new here and could use some work to get me on my feet. I'm a very loyal and hard working man. As of now I have no choice but to do whatever is needed to put food on the table and a roof over my head. I have no papers to get a legitimate job at this time. Can you help me with this?

Franky looked at the man as he puffed on his cigar and listened.

Report Post Tip

Hurley takes a look over the guy and takes a bite of his Hoagie

"Hey Dude, if you are as loyal and hard working as you make yourself out to be, I think I might have some work for you. Don't make me regret it though, the Don is very picky when it comes to his Associates. Bust your ass for him, do what your told, make him some money...and yourself some in the process, and you just might become a member of the family...if your lucky dude..."

Hurley takes another bite of his sandwich, hands a slip of paper to Franky

"Here dude, this should get you in to the Panda Compound. Tell 'em I sent you.... you got any mayo?"

Report Post Tip

Franky listens to the man speak and watches him chew while talking. It was kinda disgusting but what was Franky going to do tell him to chew with his mouth closed? He wasn't stupid.

I will do that. You won't regret giving me this opportunity and tell the Don thank you.

Franky took the paper and put it into his shirt pocket and left the diner and went straight to the compound.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: First Night in Town
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL