Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 19:14:29
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Million Dollar Birthday Contest Started by: Kates on Oct 16, '09 11:26

Kates stood in front of the mirror, again slimming the black dress down her sides. It just wasn't the same. Fuck getting old. Fuck it right in the ass. Her emerald green eyes, which had (if anything) become more striking with age, shot daggers at the mirror. Her long dark hair, once nearly black, had also maintained its color. Thank God. Jack had found a single grey hair when he was 9 and promptly ripped it out. Since then, nothing. But she was watchful. She smiled, remembering Jack as a child, but the small creases near her eyes and lips returned the glare. No use fighting it. She was old. Thirty freaking eight. My God... how old was Marietta? How old was Naomi? The world was moving on. Soon, it would be Jack's world. Well, not the whole thing. Just metaphorically, perhaps.

Her eyes followed him in the mirror as he walked through the hallway past her open door. He reminded Kates so much of her father, MacLeod. The green eyes and dark hair, of course, were passed on throughout the bloodline ever since the old days of the original Keats, who'd been the first to arrive in the country. He'd been a cattle rustler way back in the Civil War era, worked for a bandit named McTavish. All her ancestors... all criminals. And she knew that Jack could not be kept out. At times, too, he reminded her of Judge. That laugh, especially, or the look in his eyes when he wanted something and knew he would get it sooner or later.

At first, she'd dreamed of him being a doctor. A lawyer. The mayor. He had the brain for it, without a doubt, tormenting his teachers since grade school. This life... she could never decide if she wanted it for him. Her father had been a good man. Had provided her with everything she needed, especially love. Had nurtured her, sharpened her mind and helped hone her body into a deadly weapon. And then he was killed. Killed in the house he'd bought for her. She still woke up at night in a cold sweat, remembering JimmyTheLionheart stare down her father as she was forced to take her suitcase and flee north. To Detroit, to a mother she didn't know about. And God, it wouldn't even be that good for Jack. He'd never know his father. Sure, some of the men in the crew had helped raise him, especially the Osbornes. And she'd done the best she could to teach him how to be a man- in fact, for some reason she was convinced she did this better than most of the men walking around the streets could. This mix of her father and Judge... his career was in his blood.

He'd been working his way into the business lately. Running packages. Shooting cans out in the back yard when he thought she was too busy to notice. She'd have to teach him how to shoot straight, one of these days. No, he'd have to join her business sooner or later. He was born for it... but she needed to keep him safe. No 37 year old woman wanted to lose her son.

Shit. 38. Sighing, her eyes flicked over to the clock. Birthday parties. Little changed as much as one's opinions of birthday parties during the course of a human life. First they were dreamed of, cherished, hoped for fervently. Then they were an exhilarating drunken mess. And then... dreaded. Well, at least she'd make her enjoyable for some people.

As she exited the door Jack flashed a grin at her and her mind flashed to Judge. Hopefully Jack would be more monogamous than his father... but the looks he got while at school seemed to suggest otherwise. Smiling in spite of herself, she straightened his collar and tie while ignoring his protests. As their feet sunk into the heavy carpet of the stairs and they made their way out to the limo outside she couldn't help but feel the happiness well up inside of her. So she was older. Her son was a good man, with brains and courage. And her other family, The Renaissance, rarely ceased to impress her. She tossed her head back on the seat and marveled at the doors.

The underground jazz club was hopping. Scantily clad dancers were gallavanting about, with bottles of liquor being passed around the room every few minutes. The music alternated between exciting dance numbers and reflective slower pieces. As Kates, Jack, and the Osbornes entered the trumpet player sent out a small flurry of notes and bowed, with the crowd laughing at him. The dimly lit tables were spread out surrounding the dance floor and she stopped to chat as she made her way past some of them. The Renaissance and other Detroit businessmen made up the majority, of course, although there were many other visitors from other cities as well. All had been invited to the announcement of a special contest, as well as the birthday celebration. Kates dwelled particularly long at the special table set up at the front of the room, which held Marietta, Rourke, Gabriel, PedroRourke, the other Detroit crewleaders, and Naomi.

Turning from the table, Kates approached the stage and grabbed the mic from the bandleader.

"Thank you all for coming tonight. I'm here for two reasons. One, my family... both of my families, insisted on celebrating my 38th birthday. I'm just glad there's alcohol. The second reason, to me, is much more important. My son Jack, who is 16, will soon start his training to follow in my footsteps... our footsteps. I'll certainly be imparting my advice to him, as I've been doing so all my life. But the matter got me thinking. On what lessons are truly important to pass down to our next generation in this business."

"So here's my competition. You have 75 words to impart the truly important lessons that you believe new gangsters should know and take to heart. There are no other qualifications. If your statement is longer than 75 words, to borrow a phrase, into the fucking trash it will go. For those of you wondering just exactly how long that is, 75 words is the length of this speech since I said "So here's my competition".

"So why should you do this? Two reasons.... again with the two reasons. First, and perhaps most importantly, people will hear you. If you are speaking wisdom, you can help newer gangsters become a credit to our line of work and not a detriment. But I hardly expect you to be motivated by helping others. After all.. we are hardly saints. So there will be another benefit as well. For every 10 people that speak their lessons here I will select the one that I like the best and give that person a million dollars. A million dollars for 75 words. If another 10 people contribute their submissions, another person will receive a million dollars. For every 10 submissions... one will win. IF they are worthy in my eyes. If I get 50 piles of shit and one excellent submission, I might just give that person a couple million dollars and call it a day. But assuming that they meet the grade, in 3 days I will be going through all the entries and awarding the prizes. So again, if there are 20 entries there will be 2 winners out of the 20. This is not rocket science."

"All you need to do is to speak up here. AND send me a mail letting me know you've officially entered."

"Criticism, of course, will be welcome if someone says something you disagree with. Or is an idiot, which I would hope many of your disagree with."

"Now... who's up first?"

Kates gives the mic back to the bandleader and waits for others to approach the stage.

Report Post Tip

Although this was somewhat immediately overshadowed by other events in our world, I will still be conducting this contest for the next few days. If no one replies to this or acknowledges it I will be forced to produce only short stories full of sex and violence and devoid of intellect to appease the masses.

Report Post Tip

First and foremost take a look at yourself, whats your core  whats your values. If you dont know yourself noone else can truly know you or trust you. After that it keep an open eye  seeing what happens and communicating. By interacting with the people around you and certainly with the people above you  youll learn to read and live by the codes of this specific enviroment. Last make an effort not to screw up.

Report Post Tip

Be a good earner and donate to your family as it will get noticed over time. Try to listen to higher ups in your crew they can help you become better. Most importantly follow your orders to the letter. Dont mouth off to other crew leaders either approach your own if you have a problem so they can sort it.

Report Post Tip

Bruiser pulls up in his long black Buick having heard of Kates request for an opinion on the important lessons new gangsters should be taught. Bruiser walks to up to Kates and shakes her hand.

Don Kates, It is this mobsters humble opinion that the first and most important lesson a young gangster should learn is to keep his mouth shut and listen. This is important for two reasons, first and most important is it can keep you from saying something stupid and getting yourself or your family into trouble. Secondly, you can learn a lot from listening. When working the streets you should pay attention to what people are saying and learn what to do and not to do. Next lesson I would impress on a young gangster is to not only know the words of RESPECT, LOYALITY, and RESPONSIBILITY but to know the meanings of said words and live by them!!

Bruiser then bows head to Don Kates and gets back into his Buick and heads back to New York!

Report Post Tip

Learn to laugh off insults, it will save yourself and your pride.  Listen more than you talk and be patient. Your family often has good ideas.  Don't get the idea that only you can make the family.  And if someone higher up corrects you, you say "I'm sorry" and never do it again.  Act on your values rather than your impulses, never back down from what you believe.

Report Post Tip

Loyalty to his leader and mafioso family, over and above any
to his personal family or friends. Respectful words and actions to all,
especially higher ranked. Respectful of our ways, including working hard
constantly to achieve, no matter who his ancestors are.
Always keep his word when given freely.

Report Post Tip

Never stop learning, no matter how many generations your bloodline lives on. Learn from your elders and your enemies. Learn from your decisions, both good and bad. Keep Honor in mind at all times, your Family's and your own. Be respectful, but never apologize. Expect the same respect you give others. Don't fear death, and die nobly if your time comes. Accept death could happen when you least expect it. Learn from that as well

Report Post Tip

One piece of advice to an upcoming gangster would be to be loyal to your family. Loyalty is the only way to do things in this thing of ours. Loyalty to me is being there at the drop of a hat and doing whatever a high ranking member of your crew ask without hesitating 1 minute. 

Report Post Tip

Here is my version:

The first thing you need is family. We're all here to make money. Your family will protect you and enable you to do so. They validate you in the crime world. Patience is also key. Your reputation and abilities take time. Your leaders have worked hard to be get they are. Listen to them, pay your dues, and keep your head down, and, with a little luck, you may find yourself in their shoes someday.

Report Post Tip

--Prophet-- stand and go directly to the microphone after thinking some thoughts and had the chance to speak up to the crowd.

"Behold, the isle of our birth. Even here the earth heaved us, a song and a riddle; a song unto the sky, a riddle unto the earth; and what is there between earth and sky that shall carry the song and solve the riddle save our own passion?

We are but another wave of her waves.

We are here because of ONE'S PERSONAL LEGEND. One's Personal Legend is what you have always wanted to accomplish."

--Prophet-- walks silently hoping everyone got the message.

Report Post Tip

Although this thing of ours is corrupt, we still have our morals. One of them is respect if you don't have respect for people above you and even below you, you will fail. Secondly loyalty, to sum it up if you betray your family you will never be respected and die. Also this is not really a moral but laziness is not accepted to make it in this world you have to work hard.

Report Post Tip

I'll be giving this 24 more hours before entries will be closed.

Report Post Tip

One more hour until I begin judging.

Report Post Tip

Naomi had sat quietly, watching the festivities and pondering if she had anything to say.  Even though she was a little late she walked up to her sister and embraced her, giver her a kiss on both cheeks.

"You need to have dedication, to your way of life and those you work with. You should have pride in the things you get done, honesty in the way you speak and to pursue excellence in everything you do.  And if you get really lucky, Surround yourself with people you love." 

She gave Kates a warm smile and waked back into the darkness.

Report Post Tip

Kates coughs and returns to the mic.

Some excellent submissions, ladies and gentlemen. There were many worthy submissions, but I did have to pick a few to highlight. Regardless, I do believe there are some wisdom in nearly all the replies.

Honorable Mention: --Prophet--. Very poetic. Very meaningful. Though hardly straightforward advice. Regardless, here's 50K.

Third Place: Cosmo_Kramer. Patience and family are certainly two of the most valuable lessons a newcomer to this world could learn. Very straightforward and a benefit to all who read it. Your prize is 100K.

Second place: Starshine. Quite nice, Miss Starshine. If everyone took your advice to heart this business would certainly be better off! Your prize is 200K.

First place: Oderus. Interestingly enough, I do somewhat disagree with your "never apologize comment". But the overarching message to never cease in the quest to expand your knowledge and understanding of the world is the greatest possible advice I can think of. Well done, sir. Here's your cool million.

Report Post Tip

Congrats Oderus, youve made The Northern Lights very proud.

Report Post Tip

Oderus shakes Don Kates' hand and accepts his prize.

"Thank you Don Kates, and congrats to all who came out and voiced their sentiments and advice to all aspiring Mafioso."

Oderus violently forces a local vendor to break a million dollar bill for a cup of cappochino before returning to his secret crime lair to plan the Apocolypse and read a few quick chapters of Watership Downs before retreating to bed with his wives.

Report Post Tip

Wow.  Thank you!  And congrats to all other winners and entrants.  Some real quality stuff here.

Report Post Tip

Congratulations to the winners I wish I had thought of other things too. Guess my brain didn't want to work.

Fayth wanders away into the crowd

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Million Dollar Birthday Contest
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL