Get Timers Now!
X

May 13 - 23:04:44
Page:  1 
The Subject of Time. Started by: Dagenham_Beast on Oct 19, '09 18:36

Mr Beast approaches the crowd of Mafioso and coughs loudly to gain attention.

The subject of my rant today, time.

I realise this may sound as though this subject matter relates to myself, but it does not. I just wish to get a few views on the matter.

How much do we ACTUALLY have? I heard alot of, "Patience is a virtue", "Good things come to those who wait" and such.

But do we really know we have that much time? Will i be able to do everything in this life that I want to?

Some things cannot be rushed, some things you don't say or do because it may cut your time short. For instance, if you knew you would die in a day or two, would you still think or act the same? Things that you would usually take your time over, like telling someone something or letting things out, they would have to be rushed if you wanted to do them all.

What I am asking, is if you were to die in a week, would you change how you are? Would you try to do everything you want to? Or would you try and live your life as before?

Perhaps you would try and do something dramatic to get yourself remembered, even if it tainted your reputation?

My real question I guess, is....

Is it better to Fade away or Burn out?

Report Post Tip

I think time effects everyone and how they conduct business. 

If you knew your end was coming in the new couple of weeks, how much time are you really going to spend on new recruits. To answer their questions, to teach them, to guide them, all takes a lot of time and effort. If you had two weeks to go, you would be more worried about your own place in history. Would you really be wasting your time, and patience, explaining to someone what NOT to do? I know I would spend my last bit of time making sure my place in history is preserved. 

Report Post Tip

When life was a lot cheaper than it was now, it was a much more worthwhile existence for the majority of us. What I mean by this is that when you know you've got at most a month before you're fodder, well that month is fairly action packed.

We live in a different world than that, where you can actually live for years if you are fortunate enough. Even someone like me who is something of a newcomer has seen a fairly lengthy existence that spans for more than several months. Thankfully I am of the mindset that I could die tomorrow and thus act accordingly.

I think you're trying in a roundabout way to discuss someone going rogue with the last bit of your statement 'even if it tainted your reputation'. I would advise against that just from a common sense perspective as it is extremely unlikely that you would be remembered, positively remembered at least. Few people are remembered for their final act if they've spent the rest of their time doing absolutely nothing.

It is better to neither fade away nor burn out, just to be permanently aflame. That is what lasting success is and that should be everyone's ultimate goal. Some value the glory shot too highly and even if you get your target, if you don't live to reap the rewards, what is the point?

The point to all of this I think, is that everyone should make the most of their time here while it lasts. Whilst we do live in a safer environment and have a much higher life expectancy in the past, you can never be entirely certain that someone isn't plotting your downfall or your weapon will malfunction on the next use. A lasting legacy isn't built overnight.

~T~

Report Post Tip

"I think you're trying in a roundabout way to discuss someone going rogue with the last bit of your statement 'even if it tainted your reputation'. I would advise against that just from a common sense perspective as it is extremely unlikely that you would be remembered, positively remembered at least. Few people are remembered for their final act if they've spent the rest of their time doing absolutely nothing. "

I was not specifically on the subject of rouges, I also meant going to war against popular demand. I realise noone wars on what people expect, but alot of opinions can be changed from the simple reasons for a war.

Report Post Tip

I have always felt that it is better to burn out. To spend your last days doing what needs to be done for the sake of bettering your family and/or community. These people that decide to go all out as a last resort(ie. starting wars, shooting at their family members, taking random shots, etc) do not truly understand the purpose of this life.

In my opinion, our purpose is to do the best we can for our family we what we have. That's it. Just like the late Godfather ThomasRourke. He burned out, yet he will never be forgotten. Most of the people that go crazy when their time comes are forgotten within a few days.

Panda shrugs and goes on about his business.

Report Post Tip

Me and Dagenham_Beast were discussing this in private, so please do not give me all the credit, as me and him both pretty much said the same thing.

We believe that a persons street presence would change dramatically, if s/he was aware of having only a few weeks/days left.

So many times, tongues are held, because of fear of the out-come. There is a time and a place for everything, but when time is short, that comment no longer holds true. People would say what they truly feel in the streets, no matter the consequences. This would be the last chance for one to express themselves, to get their point across.

While they would fear death before, they would no longer have that fear, and will stand up and express what they are feeling. And who knows, this mans dying words, might even help spark the courage in others to do the same, and lead to a dramatic change. Then this person would be remembered in history for sparking a change.

Report Post Tip

Upon hearing the cough of Beast and the replies to his questions and speech, Identity decides to speak

As a newcomer, whom hasn't a tenth of the experience of most his fellow mafiosi, I would like to let what I think be heard, god willing you all decide to listen.

In the context of somebody whom is going to pass away soon and is in knowledge of it, feeding from what our honourable friend Tallien said, it can all be dependent on the life you have lived before you. If your life has been very honourable, and your last act was to taint your reputation, then your name may be preserved. If however you have lived much of a confined life, with little popularity or indeed action, then a last move, in an attempt to 'burn out' would make little difference to your status in history. In such a circumstance, merely fading away would be the better option, better to be remembered by a few friends in a positive light, than forgotten by all, because you were an annoyance.

Merely my opinion, with the greatest respects to all above.

Identity decides to stay for a while and see the opinions of his fellow mafiosi.

Report Post Tip

I'm not sure what you're suggesting there Pops.

If you knew you were going to die in a month, you think that would encourage you to speak your mind no matter the consequences today? That would just ensure you will die today. You could make the same decision right now and trigger the same chain of events.

There is making the most of the time you have and there is throwing away your life. Opening your mouth without contemplating the consequence of your words is never wise, regardless of if you have a day, a week, a month or a year left to run.

Casting off your inhibitions if you're going to die is also pointless, because you're going to die. I said earlier in this discussion about successful living being the ultimate goal and this stance is in direct contravention of that. It smells a lot like defeat to me 'I'm dying but you're a total idiot' sort of thing. They may well be an idiot, but they are still alive and you aren't. You've lost to an idiot.

I don't think we are ruled by such an iron fist here that you can't make any argument in a respectful manner and come out the other side unscathed. I don't think you need the threat of death taken away from you to make such an opinion that it causes massive change. I would suggest if you have to openly disrespectful to those above you (which is generally why people die from speaking) then nobody is going to take up the mantle after you as they will share your fate.

~T~

Report Post Tip

Al steps off the curb and walks over to Mr. Beast.

Personally, I live everyday as if I will live to the next one even though we could die at any time. If the knowing changes your behavior one iota, then you walked around a coward anyway.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Subject of Time.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL