Get Timers Now!
X

May 21 - 21:01:46
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
Another achievement? Started by: JackFranco on Jan 08, '16 05:21
How many of you would want a posting achievement, or role playing achievement? And would it even be possible? Could encourage people to put more effort in, although I'm not moaning about people's efforts.
Report Post Tip
How would you propose the game automatically figuring out the difference between role play and not role play?
Report Post Tip
Also, posting does already get you a small amount of XP in the Streets and Business Districts.
Report Post Tip
Street post count achievement?

We could call it STREET SWEEPER
Report Post Tip
The Streets are in desperate need of competent Street Sweepers in my opinion and I am afraid something like this may increase that need.
Report Post Tip
I see what you did there jeddy....

I think this is a good and interesting idea.what could also help is to make the turn out reward big,something close to grave rob.

It's next to impossible trying to let the code figure out what rp is but I think when people post on the street's section it's usually always rp.

We could even try it by word count.
But numbers of post on street / business districts sounds fair.
Report Post Tip
Well it's a text based role playing game, I hate how we don't have an achievement for the text based part lol.
Report Post Tip
I hate that people think it's "a small bit of XP". Heh.
Report Post Tip
I don't believe it's a small bit of XP at all.

I love to role play out everything I do in the game. I try to make a thread for just abou everything lol. But it prevents me from doing so when I make a thread, see about 100 views on said thread, but have no replies. It's like, what's the point of making one in the first place?
Report Post Tip

I hate how we don't have an achievement for the text based part

Because this game is, by nature, dichotomous. Like basically all role-playing games, there's numbers and words. The numbers are your statistics, the odds of success on a given action, etc. The words are the story in which your character participates. Generally speaking, especially in this game, the numbers are somewhat removed from the words (you don't actually "deal 10 damage to an orc," or "have max vision" it's a numerical representation of a wound or an ability, and the wounds/abilities are the story). To actually say "I deal five damage to you" in a story makes no sense at all.

But I digress. There's a separation between the two, certainly in this game. Those who want to participate in a story (forums, RPing, etc) do so to their heart's desire, and those who just want to maximize those numbers can also do so. Most players have some blend of the two. But features, generally, either do one or the other (and usually on the numbers side). Achievements are a feature built solely for the numbers. There isn't something inherent to the "world" of MafiaReturns that grants you bonus cash or credits when you've completed something. It's an OOC thing. It's not a part of the story. So there really shouldn't be a connection between that and posting.

I've not yet seen a good way to blend the two in a way that actually preserves the words. In most cases, it just gives the "numbers" player another tool to boost their stats between petties or make some extra cash/credits, often at the cost of quality story-telling. The truth is, RPing/Forums/etc. don't need a "bonus" to rope people in; it just needs players willing to put in the effort to do it and get new players involved. If we just convert the forums into another stats boost (and considering how vision and Forum VIP function, we already have to some point), we eventually don't even have the story and we're basically just walking spreadsheets.

So I'm against this suggestion.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Cato.
Report Post Tip

10/10 Response Cato.

Report Post Tip
Woah Woah, how dare you rate Cato's words with numbers.

Try "A++ would read again" next time.
Report Post Tip
I'll assume that's your way of rejecting this?
Report Post Tip
I was just trying to be a smart ass to the poster above me after Cato's separation of words and numbers reply.
Report Post Tip
Unless I have a huge issue with something, I generally like to sit back and see what the users think and to see if they address the obvious concerns when new ideas are pitched. So when I shoot down an idea, I normally post why. The above was just my sad attempt at humor after reading the two posts above me heh.
Report Post Tip
No worries :)

I'm just used to rejection :(
Report Post Tip

4/10 joke Squishy

Report Post Tip

Cato hits the mark of the beast, sir.

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Another achievement?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL