Get Timers Now!
X

May 21 - 22:26:23
Page:  1 
Rich bloodline or Hardworking Started by: don-luke on Jan 11, '16 12:56

Don-luke was taking his usual morning stroll down this here streets, as he does every morning. He likes the crisp, fresh and cold air, the kind that bite your neck, you know, the kind that stings but you like it. The last couple of days, his ears and interest have been pricked by recent activity, activity that has got his mind working over time. Stuff that he has got involved in and aired his stance. With that it got him to thinking....

So recently we have heard two slightly different discussions, well thought out and well presented ones might add, but different in ideals. Yet there was a common theme underlying in them, all to do with bloodline and the effects it has on your family line. With that i want to pose a few questions of my own, if i may.

My linage has done the rounds, we have many, many years of repeated family ties to this thing we hold so close to our hearts and for most parts we have a had a mixed time of it. The space-pole name or any other  derivatives of that name is, id like to think, a known-(ish) name, a name that has built many relationships, successfully and like-wise unsuccessfully And at some point in our histories we have held every position that this world offers, semi-successful I would openly say. Time and time again we visit these shores to re-live the lives our forefathers before us didn't manage to.

This is where it leads me to ask a few questions from the recent activity that we have seen in these very streets. About the ability to maintain good working relationships and their worth and their merit. Is it simply an ideal that working hard gets you places? when in actual fact it means only a small percentage of how you'll actually do in this life? or does in fact having that rich bloodline make life a whole lot more plenty?

I suppose ill lead off with my take, my kinda understanding of how i see it and how i teach my lineage. Do I have a tried and tested method, no, not really. Its not as simple as some algorithm, there is no perfect approach to "win" at life here but there are certain approaches or an ethos that can only aid your existence or your progression here, in my experience anyway. Working with those powerful bloodlines within our world, making those bonds, i know, will only help my son. This is a stance ive always worked on, listen, im a realist, im not shortsighted enough that i cant see past my nose. Your bloodline and your connections mean almost everything here. This is just the way it simply works. There isn't a way to really get away from that thinking, for many reasons as pointed out in the last two who stood here, in front of the masses.

With that said I present to you a question or rather a two pronged question.  

Firstly, I suppose my question is more directed but not exclusive to the longer generations of lines that this world possess. When you get your land legs back after the boat trip across the big blue, what aspirations do you have for that life? Do you have a set-out plan of what you want to achieve and who you need to know to make it happen? Do you already have the correct connections to get a step-up in life? If this is the case does anyone think this approach is morally wrong? Does it happen more than it should do? Or is it a simple case of this the life we live?

Could it be a case of back to basics and simply find a family for protection? Could it be that you aspire to just survive, lie low and make friends? Could it be the case you that your father had a taste for killing and you want to carry on that trade? is it a case you like to earn money and donate it upwards? What ever it maybe, do you think it all out before hand? Or is it a case of winging it, see what life presents and what happens in the first few days of your new life?

What do you think is the best way to attack your new life, wing it, or aspire to do something and make it happen?

Likewise though, as a Crew Leader or a GodFather and you make contact with someone fresh off the boat, a line that has never stepped foot on this land before and they tell you their ideas of grandeur, how they want to be the next you, would you encourage such behavior of walking before you can crawl? embrace it and show them how to get there? Or, would you see this as arrogance, would you make them serve their apprentice first or reward such bold behavior? Should we encourage newer lines to take the bull by the horns?

It really has got me thinking, do we currently have a top heavy structure that has a rinse-and-repeat motion, i this detrimental or is it simply how things work? Does it have to be one vs the other, surly a mix of both will always be better than having only on, right?

It would be interesting to hear thoughts on this from across the board, from the newer lines to the old hands, Crew leaders and GodFathers.

Don-luke takes a seat on an empty banana crate that lay on the ground behind him, he pulled out his hip-flask, sipped the strong whiskey that his dear old father had left him, woundering if anyone will listen and respond to him.

Report Post Tip

Working hard *can* get you places. My ancestors noticed their hard workers and rewarded them promptly with what they needed to shine even brighter. Although, working hard doesn't mean anything in terms of advancement. Some leaders, and this isn't directed at anyone in particular, will almost always pick their OOC friends as hands rather than a hard worker in their family. Not everyone does it, but it's unbelievable how many times you'll see true gems get passed over for some lazy prick who is simply put into the position because their ancestors were good with their leaders.

For example; If you had passed away, mister don-luke and your son was named in the lineage of space pole, you'd surely be noticed much more than don luke jr, wouldn't you agree? It can be said about many people in this world. Specific names will always stand out and be known.

As for your question; I joined this world with one goal in mind, to have fun and enjoy whatever family I may join with my lovely girlfriend, Liquorice. I have accomplished my goal and see fit to do whatever it takes to help my family within possible reason for a not so awake person such as myself.

I do think that approach is wrong. If I died and my son came back as lets say.. Dan, I could use that name to further anything I want given any contacts my bloodline has with others. It's not fair to others but hey, when the cards are on the table: play.

It is a simple thing really. Most people do it without realizing it. I notice more and more in this thing of ours nametags of sorts with random names that do not match their own names. I see some leaders spotting a tag of Nifleheim, an organization. I see others spotting specific names, assumingly so one of their ancestor so all may know what lineage they are from in an attempt to be known, and or get ahead from being a regular joe who has to work their way up.

Could it be a case of back to basics and simply find a family for protection? Could it be that you aspire to just survive, lie low and make friends? Could it be the case you that your father had a taste for killing and you want to carry on that trade? is it a case you like to earn money and donate it upwards? What ever it maybe, do you think it all out before hand? Or is it a case of winging it, see what life presents and what happens in the first few days of your new life?

Simply no. I would be willing to bet everything to my name that every person out there would 'go to basics' and stop using their bloodline in advantageous ways. Sometimes people do lie low and make friends. Look at me. I'm just a regular guy with a mediocre bloodline, but one wouldn't know that unless you looked deep, because I have no reason to use my bloodline to further anything. I want my work to be my very own, not my ancestors.

Many times sons carry the sins, skill and resentment of the father. Your dad was a good hitter? High chance you'll pick up the trade. I never thought about my life before hand, that'd be weird. Would I be in a subconscious of myself at that point? I don't truly know. I like the idea of 'winging it'. Everyone should live their life, forget what your ancestors did. If you want to remember, there are other places to do so.

Likewise though, as a Crew Leader or a GodFather and you make contact with someone fresh off the boat, a line that has never stepped foot on this land before and they tell you their ideas of grandeur, how they want to be the next you, would you encourage such behavior of walking before you can crawl? embrace it and show them how to get there? Or, would you see this as arrogance, would you make them serve their apprentice first or reward such bold behavior? Should we encourage newer lines to take the bull by the horns?

Interesting topic there. Personally, I like it when new people to these shores show promise AND wanting to succeed fast in life. It shows that they're willing, and quite possibly capable with the right help, of being the new fella leading a family, or a new hand to someone. My ancestor started small  as a witness statement collector, and that eventually got my ancestor put to left hand man. 

I would encourage people that show promise to continue to do so and show what they're worth. Some might be gems, some might not be, you'll never know until you test them, give them a chance, that's sometimes what people need the most, a chance.

In the past for example; My ancestor was a Don in Brooklyn. He moved to Manhattan and assumed the district as his own. He setup not one, but two captains. Captain Jeddy, and Captain Space-pole. Jeddy had been almost unknown to my ancestor, only a little bit of information on him prior, but he liked him and he worked hard, so he was given a shot. Jeddy eventually made Godfather.

Captain Space was the standing captain under my ancestor. My ancestor was half and half on this topic. He knew Space's alter ego on OOC ave and REALLY wanted to give your ancestor the chance he oh so deserved, and at the same time, Space was my ancestor's top hitter and was doing great for the crew. He had worked hard and proved to not only my ancestor, but other leaders that Space had deserved his captaincy.

Surely Space may have joined my ancestor for OOC reasons, but he was not given his headquarters for OOC reasons. Hard work pays off sometimes. Sometimes it takes a word from a friend to bring someone forward to give them the extra nudge to succeed.

Thank you for the topic, don-luke, I enjoyed it.

Report Post Tip

Mint, cheers for taking the time to listen to this old man ramble on and happy that you found some of my points interesting, i appreciate you taking the time to speak your mind.

For example; If you had passed away, mister don-luke and your son was named in the lineage of space pole, you'd surely be noticed much more than don luke jr, wouldn't you agree? It can be said about many people in this world. Specific names will always stand out and be known.

I think that this is my point going forward, its something that we can not shy away from. Rightly or wrongly, it exists. I think though, mostly those lineages that are remembered, they are done so because of their skills with a gun, for obvious reasons but of late ive seen hands that are not specifically known for their hitting prowess, which i think is some kind of progression.  

Many times sons carry the sins, skill and resentment of the father. Your dad was a good hitter? High chance you'll pick up the trade. I never thought about my life before hand, that'd be weird. Would I be in a subconscious of myself at that point? I don't truly know. I like the idea of 'winging it'. Everyone should live their life, forget what your ancestors did. If you want to remember, there are other places to do so.

I think when people come to these shores, they have some kind of idea, even if its a small one, they have it. Like you've said, you'll pick up a trade from your father, im sure we look through our journals enough to know what life we're willing to lead? So majority will surely have some incline of how they at least want to play out the start of their career, there has to be some thought process, no? 

Interesting topic there. Personally, I like it when new people to these shores show promise AND wanting to succeed fast in life. It shows that they're willing, and quite possibly capable with the right help, of being the new fella leading a family, or a new hand to someone. My ancestor started small  as a witness statement collector, and that eventually got my ancestor put to left hand man. 

I would encourage people that show promise to continue to do so and show what they're worth. Some might be gems, some might not be, you'll never know until you test them, give them a chance, that's sometimes what people need the most, a chance. 

I personally agree with everything that you said but kinda' through this in as a temperature check, if im honest.  I think we currently have an issue with every CL wanting to know a bloodline of any person joining their organisation, we are so hung up on knowing if "someone is new" that potentially we will miss a person, or we will push a person out.  Wanting to know if that person is "incog". I think its counter productive if im truly honest. I think we need to take a step back an allow people to reinvent, start a fresh, we make it impossible for people to do that, trust me, im prime example of this. 

My father would thank for the kind words, im sure.

Report Post Tip

Let's explain a few things, like Mint said working hard can /get/ you in some places. But in my case advancement doesn't matter, maybe in the business or when you're considered to have more responsibility to handle a certain task, yes. But advancement by rank would not matter, it would show a amount of respect, but then you have to figure out where the power-grab is and eventually you'll have to understand how it goes. For me? What matters is the work I can show to my crew leader and still respect everybody in the long run. How you earn connections to the step-up plan in life is up to you.

Though, in all honesty there will be many people to have connections to a "rich" or determined bloodline in order to overstep other most people, you have to bat an eye across your fellow members, or associates then think, you have to decide what that person has done, what strategy they have to bring to the table, matter of fact what skills do they have to do what it takes, be smart, you have to want to know their knowledge, no matter of rich bloodline you have to see how EVERYBODY fairs out before you make a decision that could change something drastically. If you feel you have a guilty conscience, free your mind and THEN do you see if all was the same. 

You have to begin to work out for what you want to accomplish here and there, at the choice of "do something, then ask questions later." Decide something that may have a future impact, then start asking "should I have done this? Or should I have not?" You need to start believing in your gut and use your brain, generalize at what you can begin to change for the better or worse, think before you act and decide at the choice of hand then, it'll save you time. 

Report Post Tip

My stance on this subject has changed a bit in the last three months. When I first started out, I was a youngin' just in the from the coast of Italy. With no "big" name mentioned, I found work with a small production crew in Philadelphia that eventually led me to meet Rita_Hayworth (may she rest in peace). At my outset, all I had were near-cryptic messages from my father to "not trust anyone," and "keep to yourself." Joining a production crew, that took all of a week before I ditched it. I was hooked.

So I worked hard. Very hard. Even to the point where I was Rita's Left-Hand Man when she became a Godfather. Despite plenty of opportunities, it seemed Rita's ancestors and mine had little contact. But that didn't stand in my way. Rita treated me well, so she deserved my best. And that's what I provided each and every day. My best. Then came the opportunity for a third HQ in Manhattan; I was unsubtle in my excitement, and I felt I deserved the honor even though I had no "ancestral link" that many others had to the leadership. I had reached the peak of my career in Manhattan with nothing more than a short name and hard fucking work.

Before I continue, I'd also like to mention that I've adopted this policy to how I run my crew as well. Each position and rank is earned, and never through "good names". And because of this, I feel I've earned the loyalty of my members, as they can expect the exact same opportunities I had when I made my start. That's how this world is meant to be operated, in my opinion. It breeds loyal members, it rewards the diligent, and it favors the bold.

But as for my opinion on the matter, I think my position has slightly changed. Where I once resisted all bloodline mentions, I've come to understand that I'm forming relationships with others that could carry ramifications for my children and the children of my closest friends. It creates somewhat of an obligation, almost, that you've done so much to deserve the trust, respect, and loyalty of those around you, that your children would just abandon it? Almost foolish to throw away such a valuable resource in such a troublesome world.

So I think the two sentiments you've described go hand-in-hand. The hard work and diligence puts us in a position to form connections with others, as the hard work represents our willingness to dedicate time, effort, and money to those we respect and trust. To forsake those connections isn't stupid, as the intentions of your children may not be the same as yours. My concern is when those connections are the primary driving force behind positions and promotions rather than hard work; or when hard work is ignored/neglected in favor of those with more lofty bloodlines.

Report Post Tip

cato, Firstly id like to thank you for taking the time to listen to me and to throw your stance in, it is very much appreciated, it really is. Its nice once in a while to get the views of those who sit in power, its something that we don't see all too much these days and I really enjoyed your story of how you came to be......

At my outset, all I had were near-cryptic messages from my father to "not trust anyone," and "keep to yourself." Joining a production crew, that took all of a week before I ditched it. I was hooked.

I suppose that this was where my thought process originated from, the majority of us who sign up for this have some sort of game plan, even if its a small and as insignificant as simply surviving or as you've said, keeping yourself to yourself. Again, I don't think its too far fetched to say that even if you don't have a linage to speak of, "new" to this world, you have to have something to go off? To say you step foot on these shores without any sort of game plan, no matter of its size isn't advisable, or is it?

Before I continue, I'd also like to mention that I've adopted this policy to how I run my crew as well. Each position and rank is earned, and never through "good names". And because of this, I feel I've earned the loyalty of my members, as they can expect the exact same opportunities I had when I made my start. That's how this world is meant to be operated, in my opinion. It breeds loyal members, it rewards the diligent, and it favors the bold.

A very honourable stance, a stance that's an ideology more than something that's practiced these days, I would imagine. What I mean by this is this; our world has changed, we have evolved. is having  loyal members enough on its own these days? Do Crew leaders promote their button men and above to gain certain defence's that higher ranks within their organisation will give them? and/or that as they grow through the ranks, because they are trusted they get to carry more drugs? Is getting made as much of a big deal as it used to be, id go out on a limb and say, no, no its not. I remember a time when it was a whole ceremony, and you'd have to sign to say you'd give your life, is that something that's still practiced these days?

So I think the two sentiments you've described go hand-in-hand. The hard work and diligence puts us in a position to form connections with others, as the hard work represents our willingness to dedicate time, effort, and money to those we respect and trust. To forsake those connections isn't stupid, as the intentions of your children may not be the same as yours. My concern is when those connections are the primary driving force behind positions and promotions rather than hard work; or when hard work is ignored/neglected in favor of those with more lofty bloodlines.

This is where the key lies, I think anyone here no matter of rank will need to realise that we have come to expect to know who a bloodline is. There is huge emphasis when joining a new family for them to know and understand what your linage has done, who they are and are they of a clean line. There is no getting away from this notion (to a certain extent) that research can only go so far before the gods may intervene. No matter if you think this isn't a great practice, its happening. But there is definitely an element of combining both, but sometimes, just sometimes either one of these is just enough.     

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Rich bloodline or Hardworking
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL