Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 02:56:50
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
-48 cannot be shot at Started by: Grin on Dec 07, '09 12:39

Could we get an owner/coder perspective on this?

~G~rin.

Report Post Tip

In my opinion, players should receive 48 hours protection to find a family.  This is where judgment needs to come into play - human judgment can take into account many more factors than any hard coded judgment.  Is the player being an asshole?  Disruptive in the forums? Demonstrates they are obviously here to just cause havoc?  From a code perspective, we can not accurately figure this out.  Soooo if we made the 48 hours hardcoded, this would have some drastic effects, this means you as players would have to deal with issues a lot more often and for longer.  It would also mean that we would have to change the "gangster" promotion to 48 hours - this means that no wacking and many other features for 48 hours too.  This would have a extremely negative effect on the game.  So our solution?  Put faith in the ability for our members to have self control and work together in some situations for the betterment of the community.  Sure, there are many players whos knuckles still drag on the ground, but more or less, the system we have now works.  One of the biggest things about this game is choice.  Every time we hard code something, we take away that choice and confine this little world a little more.

There are a few solutions we can put in to meet in the middle.  Rather than 24 hours, you turn killable after X hours of playing. We track hours played, we can make it so you turn gangster after 24 hours AND have had at least 2 hours of game play.  This ensures that the player can log back in at the 25 hour mark and not instantly get shot if he truly have proper time to find a crew  (if the 48 hour rule was abolished).

Or, we abolish the 48 hour rule all together, and we enforce it on a hard coded level to a certain extent.  Anyone that dies that is under 48 hours and unsponsoreds, you actually lose a kill from your stats - thus ensuring that its an enforcement against a bad player for the betterment of the community rather than one of our knuckle draggers taking his hand off his genitalia long enough to kill a brand new player to get a +1.

Report Post Tip

I, for one, have no problem whatsoever with an OOC decision being made about how much time is "enough" for a new player. That's clearly a necessity for the continuing health of the game. I would simply prefer to find a way to avoid the implausible RP that results from those decisions if at all possible. My opposition to the -48 regime at present is not about denying the legitimate concerns of the administrators, but rather about me wanting to be able to completely and freely role play my character within the framework provided.

I'm interested in particular for comments about the idea I had with a "report disrespect" type function. The more I think about it, the more I think that it might be a feasible alternative. It seems to provide a hardcoded way to ensure the -48 still has its beneficial effects and avoid the downsides making people put up with disrespect for another 24 hours unnecessarily, since I agree entirely that a bit of human judgment is probably necessary when it comes to this issue. As an added bonus from the coder-side, it seems to my non-code-seeing-eyes like a lot of the grunt work of coding it would be done already in the form of the report spam feature, just needing new variables plugged in.

Other than that, a "twenty four and two" type solution such as Squishy just offered seems like another pretty good alternative to me.

Report Post Tip

"I would simply prefer to find a way to avoid the implausible RP that
results from those decisions if at all possible."

Sure - at 24 hours, you are still a child, at an age that any man with any dignity or self respect would never point a gun at over his own insecurities about a child running on his turf.  However, when that child becomes a teenager - all bets are off.

24 hours - Child.

48 Hours - Teenager.

Report Post Tip

I am quite for the 24+2 scenario. Gives people more then enough time to get a family. And a major problem is solved.

As Lucretia said, OOC poll on how much is enough time for a new player. Let's solve this shit and move on.

Report Post Tip

I strongly disagree with an age level being foisted upon characters at start up and immediately following, as it limits, as it both limits and removes aspect of character creation and introduction.

Report Post Tip

Sure - at 24 hours, you are still a child, at an age that any man with any dignity or self respect would never point a gun at over his own insecurities about a child running on his turf. However, when that child becomes a teenager - all bets are off.

The problem with this from an RP point of view is that it's making the mafia into good guys that they simply weren't. See my above example of "pregnant woman beaten to death in the boss's parking lot" for an example. The mob would certainly protect their own from the reaches of a non-mafia child killer, but if a Made Man were to do it, they'd be more likely to hide the evidence than even raise a finger in anger against the Made Guy. After all, he's "one of us," but his victim was ... just some random kid. Sure, it was just a kid and an evil act, but it wasn't our kid, and the man who shot him it was family.

Report Post Tip

Soo the mafia shot children for practice?  Just making sure I got your message correctly. :)

Report Post Tip

I'll offer a more thorough reply to this later on, but the most obvious flaw in the 'child' RP angle is that you can't really begin to put ages on characters, unless we all have a life expectancy. 24 Hours is child, so 0-12 and by 48 hours maximum you've aged to 13-19. Carrying through this scale would make BrianRourke like 4000 years old, which would make even less sense than his still being alive at the moment.

I would also suggest that a 'child' robbing numerous old ladies, running drugs or indulging in any other sort of crime is unlikely to be spared the heat from any organized crime syndicate. This is business after all.

~G~rin.

Report Post Tip

The mafia did not shoot children for practice, which is why I think it's ridiculous to use any term like "child" to describe someone who has been here less than 24 or 48 hours. It is entirely unnecessary, restricts character freedom, and makes no sense at all.

Report Post Tip

"Soo the mafia shot children for practice? Just making sure I got your message correctly. :)"

I'll respond to this assuming we all accept the "child" angle, which I agree with Kates and Grin is again a restriction that is in its own way counterproductive.

I'm not saying the mafia was full of bloodthirsty child killers. I am saying that if a mafioso shot a kid accidentally, took things a bit too far when roughing one up and killed him, or otherwise ended up with a child's blood on their hands, in that case a mafioso would have his boss and his family as people he could go to for help hiding the evidence of his mistake. He absolutely under no circumstances would have a boss looking to try to solve the crime and shoot the murderer. That's not a mafioso's job, that's a policeman's job, and in fact, a mafioso who did something like that to a Made Man would in fact be breaking one of the cardinal rules of organized crime. Mafioso look out for each other and everyone else is dirt. Even if it's a pregnant woman. Even if it's a kid. Absolutely. That is the proper in-character reaction for a mafioso: "I don't care about that guy, he's nothing to me. I will help my family hide the evidence of his crime, because he is family and the other guy is not."

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: -48 cannot be shot at
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL