Get Timers Now!
X

May 08 - 21:48:22
Page:  1 
The Secret of the rose (reprise) Started by: Carlotta_DiAmbrosi on Jan 02, '10 04:40

Carlotta found herself sitting in the empty room, alone.  She had not been expecting the raid that had taken most of her friends off to Jail, nor had she been expecting the death of Starshine.  She held the necklace that Starshine had ordered on her behalf, a nearly perfect copy of the rosebud necklace her mother had worn. 

She rose from her seat, unable to remain seated any longer.  Once again whatever stubbornness had saved her the first time had saved her again.  Sal had seen the cops coming and had gotten them out of there before all hell had broken loose, but now she sat in an old safehouse wondering if her fence was going to show.  She sipped tea while she waited, but she didn't have all day.  She still had lots to do.  And as reluctant as she was, she would have to go to HairyBaby for help.  After all, the man she was after was in Detroit.  She still needed to get her rose pendant back.  And she needed to kill the man who had taken everything from her.  Everything she had hinged on that. 

The rose had many secrets, not the least of which was that it was the key to DiAmbrosi fortune, but it was also the key to something else, something bigger.  It had to be otherwise people wouldn't want it so badly.

Her hands went to the gun when she heard the door open but Carlotta was too late.  It was one of the men who had been with Al_Anastasia in LA.  It was one of the men who knew she carried gems sometimes when she went on business.  The figure knocked her off her feet reaching for the cane, and she could hear herself scream.

There was pain as her assailant kicked her, and she heard gunshots.  BANG BANG BANG!  Carlotta closed her eyes, expecting the white-hot pain, but only felt the dull throbbing ache from her ribs, and the shooting pain of her leg which felt like it might be broken.

Car?

Sal's voice rang out over the empty room.  BANG BANG BANG.

There was silence for a moment and then BANG BANG.  With those last two shots there was silence. 

Carlotta lay on the floor, eyes closed, hands curled in to her chest, silent words coming from her mouth as she tried to speak. 

Car! Sal slid to his knees and picked her up into his arms. Carlotta.  It's ok.  I'm here.

Tears ran down her face and Carlotta clung to him realizing that she was safe. 

Did you get him?

Yes, I did.  He won't hurt you again.

Carlotta managed to stagger to her feet with Sal's help.  She teetered over to the downed man and pulled her cane out from under him before slamming it down on his scull.  After two or three hits she stopped and sagged back into Sal's side, allowing him to move her.

We'd better get that leg looked at.  Sal helped her into the car, driving her himself, and praying that there were no others looking for her. 

When we are done with the Doctor, we need to see Hairy Baby.  I have been remiss in introducing myself.  We've been in Detroit for weeks and have not yet stopped by his place.  Be a good kid Sal, and send my regards to HairyBaby.  He can help us out. 

Carlotta was asleep before Sal ever stopped at the hospital. 

Report Post Tip

On his way into the hospital Tony passed Sal, but went unseen by him...hmmm, some body guard he thought. He found out Carlotta's room and went up the stairs for a visit. As he entered her room, a nurse was checking Carlotta's vitals.

Hello young lady. Take a fucking hike, I got business with Carlotta. The nurse scampered out of the room, and Tony shut the door then walked over to her bedside.

Hello, Carlotta, we meet again. I got some things I'd like you to answer. That place, we had to meet, where you said was so secure? Well, now then. Big Al is dead and Alan is missing. I don't give a fuck about about Alan, but Big Al was a friend of mine. tell me again how safe it was. Look I don't know what happened, and I am not accusing you of anything.....yet. But I wanna know Carlotta, what the hell happened?

Tony walks over and looks out the hospital window, then back at Carlotta.

Now if I remember right that Rose legend might of had something to do with the death of my old boss Starshine as well.  Look if we are going to do business. It's time I got some answers from you.

Report Post Tip

We had left the building and were heading back to our respective places.  I couldn't believe it.  When Al saw the faces of the men who were coming he turned his gun on himself.  All he said was that he was sorry.  

Carlotta looks over at him, the jagged scars from the first attempt to kill her showed up in stark releif. Without the large-brimmed hat she wore, the disfigurement was obvious, although they were mostly on her neck and shoulders, the bright lights in the hospital showed up the ragged scars across her arms as well.

You must believe me.  It had nothing to do with the fact that I am a courier.  It is the men who tried to murder me for the rose.  I thought I had left them behind in Chicago, I thought I had seen the last of them, I thought they had sold the rose.  I find that I am wrong.  Al was a friend of mine too. 

Report Post Tip

Hairy Baby comes storming into the room flanked by two Goombas, brushing past Tony-Sperio as he did so

"Holy shit Carl, what happened, I heard you were here and came as fast as I could...I was over on 5th and Main when I heard the news

As each Goomba took up a tactical position within the room, HairyBaby seemed to notice Tony for the first time, as if, now he knew Carlotta was alive, he could concentrate on business

"So, who's this mook? Carlotta, you ok, is he threatening you?"

HairyBaby grabs a hold of the man's collar

"You better start talkin bub, I don't take too kindly to people that prey on my crew, capiche?"

Report Post Tip

Carlotta smiled.  Hairy  Carlotta laughed.  He's a friend of the late Al_Anastasia.  I met him doing some odd jobs in LA trying to get things together to get my rose back.  He and I didn't hit it off...He thinks I'm....'no friend of ours' and I know Sal Doesn't trust him... but he didn't hurt me, sal got the shooter but I'm sure there are others.

Carlotta gestured to herself.  I wasn't shot, but he knocked me down and broke my leg, crushed a couple ribs.  Docs say I'll be ok. Carlotta turns her head a bit to present the better side of her features to Hairy.  I'm sorry, We were here for a while, I should have come to you right off, but I thought this had to do with AL and LA.  It wasn't until I saw the shooter today that I knew what it was. 

Report Post Tip

Tony just smiles as Carlotta tells Hairy of his mistake. He walks over to Carlotta's bedside and leans down to her.

Ok, Carlotta, we don't have much choice here. At this point I have to trust and believe your story, and you are gonna have to trust me. There is only you and I left now, so if we are going to do business, it's time we start talking. When you get out of here and get healed up a little, contact me. We'll meet and try to figure this out, without any one else getting hurt. I hope this "Rose" is worth the price being paid for it.

Tony turns to leave her room, still not sure just what it is she wants. At the door he stops and turns to her.

Carlotta, I'm glad you are alright. Maybe I'll come see you again in here and we can get a plan together for when you get out.

Report Post Tip

Time had passed and Carlotta was eager to get going.  She let them take her out of the hospital in a chair, only because it allowed HairyBaby's guards to walk around her.    She got into the car with hairy.

We need a safe place to plan.  When they find out where I am they will come after us. 

Carlotta toys with her copy of the rose.

I wish I knew if it was worth it, but if it was special enough for Mom to tell me never to take it off, and to set people to guard it, it must be important.   

Carlotta turned her head toward the window so that Hairy would not be able to see her cry.  You had better call our hot-headed associate.  He'll want to know I'm out.

Report Post Tip

As HairyBaby's car zoomed towards it's destination, Hairy faced Carlotta and started speaking

"We can do that as soon as we're back at my townhouse Carlotta, it's probably one of the safest places around, never even been raided once, and I have it set up that we can pretty much look down onto anyone approaching either the front or back doors."

"Once there we can sit down, get you a cup of Joe and you can fill me in as to what I've been missing, then, when you feel like you're up to it, we can give Tony a call and work out a plan, God only knows what he's doing now anyhow, although, from the impression I get, he could be out doing some investigating of his own..."

Report Post Tip

Once they were settled in the house, Carlotta began.

My family was from all over, But I was in New orleans  when all the trouble went down.  My cousin, Vince and I were hiding out, and men came, they started shooting, leaving Vince dead, and me badly injured, among the things that they took a beautiful rose pendant inlaid with rubies and emeralds, a pendant which my mother had given to me.  Her will has never been read because the caviot was that the only way to prove you were the heir was to bring the necklace to the man who was executor of the will.

Carlotta waited to refil her cup before continuing.  My Uncle Mr Steele, told me that the will was only the beginning That there was something else, something everyone wanted.  But he would never say what.  So of course, the stories have been told time and again of what it could be.  But when he died just after the last war, he left me alone and confused with only one thing in my mind.

These men, these Bastards, they killed Vince, They tried to kill me.  They may even be the ones who killed my Uncle, but all of this for the rose and whatever it may open.  I have to find out what it is that it will unlock.

Report Post Tip

Hairybaby listens to Carlotta from the window and then without saying anything to Carlotta, exits the room to use the phone

Hey, Tony, yeah, it's me, Hairybaby, listen, I'm sorry for over reacting the way I did, as you can imagine I was a little upset at the thought that something may have happened to Carlotta

Listen, if you can get over here to my place as soon  as possible, that'd be great, Carl needs some help deciding what she's going to do with this Rose business, and I'm not sure, but I reckon there's a couple of guys sitting outside in a black sedan for the past half hour. I haven't mentioned it to Carlotta yet because she'd freak, but if you could check them out on your way over, that's be great. See you soon tony.

Report Post Tip

When he received the call Tony quickly got in his car and headed over. When he got close he slowed and pulled over a block away, watching the black sedan. After about twenty minutes Tony pulled right up behind the sedan and got out of his car as he did the back window of the sedan suddenly exploded and Tony felt the searing pain in his left upper arm of a gun shot. He quickly dropped to the ground and drew his weapon as he rolled. He came up firing at the now speeding away sedan Bang, Bang, Bang, three shots and the sedan suddenly swerved nearly running off the road. He had hit one of them, but the car rounded a corner and disappeared.

As Tony made his way to the door he was greeted by a couple of Hairybabies men who had heard the shots. They quickly got Tony inside and administered to his wounded left arm, then he was lead into a room with Carlotta and Hairy.

Well, Carlotta, Hairy, it appears who ever these people are. they still are not satisified. We need a plan to lure them out. Not the two bit thugs who are shooting at us but the real leaders. Carlotta, please, tell me what you know. Tell me the story of the rose, and why someone is willing to kill you and I and any one else to get.......Well, hell, What the fuck is it they even want?

Report Post Tip

Carlotta pulled the copy of the Rose pendant from around her neck.  This is a copy of the original.  And it is this pendant, or rather, the original of it, that they want.  It was told to me years ago that my mother's rose pendant was the key to the DiAmbrosi fortune, and perhaps something else as well.

Carlotta walked a little.  Years ago, when I was younger, my mother gave me the rose pendant, and, as it happened, was gunned down soon after.  She told me to keep it hidden, to wear it only on special occasions.  And she gave me a bodyguard, Vince, and he was to take care of me.  He was my cousin, and respected in this thing of ours.

Carlotta sipped her drink and continued.  He was with me when he died, when I almost died.  He and I were at the house where I used to live, under the protection of a man long since dead.  I heard the car drive up, and since things were dangerous, I had run for the back door.  But I didn't know that the door was blocked from the outside.  I heard gunshots, and then Vince calling for me.  He called for me to run, and then there were two more shots and he was gone.  I had never heard such silence.

Carlotta began to pace, her gait still hindered by her all-too-recent injuries.  But she couldn't seem to stand still.  I heard the back door open and then there was white heat, two, three, four shots, I heard things breaking, and then I heard gunshots outside.  Sal came running in, he said Vince had warned him of trouble, but he was too late.  They took me to the hospital, but even then they were not sure if I would survive.  When I did, it was with the scars you now see.  While I was in the hospital, someone stole the rose pendant.  I nearly found it with Al Anastasia, but the feds raided the warehouse before we had a chance to get to him, and with Starshine and the others gone....

Carlotta paced again.  The rose is the only surety for my mother's inheritance, and, it is said, something else that is important.  It could be the secret of Doctor Pepper for all I know, I just want the rose back it is all I have of my mother.  I have heard tell that it may be in PedroRourke's hands, but I do not know for certain.

Carlotta played with the pendant again.  I know the other one exists, and I know the name of the lawyer, there is something about the real rose, we've taken fakes to him before, in fact that was how we found a couple of them.  I do not understand why they make such uproar over my mother's inheritance.

Report Post Tip

Tony listened intently to Carlotta's words, then paced around the room a few moments thinking. Finally he walked over to her.

Dear lady of honor. I have thought about this Rose, and I have decided it is best you continue your quest on your own. To many people have been killed already and still you don't even know where it is. I wish you much luck and hope that I do not end up at your funeral over this. I understand it's importance to you just as you must understand it has none to me.

I will give you some advice in your journey. If I were you  dear lady,  I would start to look at my own house. I find it very odd that the man who is entrusted to keep you alive always seems to be there, just after the fact. I would advise you to watch Sal, dear Carlotta. He is always just a little late. Pure bad luck? You will need to decide.

With that Tony walks over and gives Carlotta a good bye embrace.

I wish you luck. Now I must return to my wife who is still in the hospital after losing our son. Good day dear lady.

Report Post Tip

Carlotta stood from the embrace and slapped Tony.  Sal only came to
me after the rose was stolen.  He is my best friend and only family. 
And if you do not wish to help, that is fine.  But do not think this
will be forgotten.  As to where it is, yes, it is true I am not
positive where it is, but I have told you that I have heard rumors that it has come into PedroRourke's hands, or at least those of his associates.

You call me a woman of honor, and yet, when I ask for help, albeit, dangerous help, you turn your back.  Fine, I do  not know you.

Carlotta walks over to where HairyBaby is and speaks with him quietly, ignoring Tony.  

HairyBaby, might it be possible for you to ask around those who are in the employ of PedroRourke to see if they know of the pendant I seek?

Report Post Tip

Tony returned to his car in disbelief at the antics that just happened. He pulled out his always handy pad of paper and jotted a note and handed it to one of the young thugs out front to pass along to Carlotta. It read....

Miss DiAmbrosi,

It appears I have made a mistake. There is no honor in your childish behavior.The lack of respect shown by you was disappointing at the least. I will forgive, but not forget. If you ever find yourself in New York and in need of assistance...call someone else.

Good day...Tony

Report Post Tip

Lilly was sitting in her usual boothe in her favourite NY eatery, deep in conversation with her associate Anon, her bodyguards kept a wary eye open from another table close by.

A shout went up from the bar counter

Telephone for Lilly?

Lilly tutted at the disturbance, strided over to the telephone at the end of the counter & grabbed the receiver.

Yes? she asked

Thought i'd find you there, it's HairyBaby... i need you back in Detroit soonest ... the line went dead.

Hmmm, wonder what's going on back home she asked herself as she walked back to her table.

She grabs her overcoat & clutch purse, kicks Anon into life

C'mon guys, we're needed back home

Report Post Tip

I think we have company. 

Carlotta noticed the car pulling up and moved closer to hairy. 

No one I recognize.

Report Post Tip

heh, don't stress Carlotta, I asked that reinforcements be brought in, Lilly_ is a consigliere to Detroit and has been quite a help to me in the past and...more importantly is awesome at figuring out riddles.

I do reckon we go and pay Pedro a call though and see what he has to say, I'll ring ahead and let them know we're on the way...

Report Post Tip

Carlotta nodded, a little stressed by yet another war that distracted her and those following her from the task at hand.  She waited for Hairy Baby to get back to her as to what PedroRourke had said about the rose, and whether he had seen it.  Something like that was not easily hidden, someone would have to brag, it was just too beautiful to keep to yourself.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Secret of the rose (reprise)
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL