Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 18:30:32
Page:  1 
True Colours Started by: TigerLionEagleSHARK on Jan 11, '10 12:46

Stepping out into the street, the strange hybrid known as TigerLionEagleSHARK, rubs his hands together, working some warmth into them. The look on his face was one of deep thought, eyebrows scrunched up and eyes focussed on something. There had been something on his mind for a while now, and he was anxious to get others opinions on the matter. Coughing into his clenched fist, he gained the attention of the few people around him, and with this started to talk to them

People of the streets, this world of ours revolves around a few principles. Of course we all know the obvious ones; respect, omerta, loyalty, etc. But what about the one everyone works to avoid? The act that few enjoy, and everyone for the best part does everything they can to stop happening. What I'm talking of is war. Yes that lovely period of bloodshed, man versus man, family versus family, city versus city. Is it not a well known fact that war goes hand in hand with this life of ours? Would it therefore mean that peoples true colours are not known until war is commenced? Do families not let their true opinions be known for fear of war breaking out if another family does not agree with them? My ancestors have known times of war, and it was at this time that the true nature of this life became known to them. To me, it seems as if everything between these acts of brutality is just a lull, a period where people are just preparing. As I see it, war is inevitable, there will always be bloodshed in this life of ours. No one can agree with everyone, and none should expect this of anyone. Yet it seems that at the moment, everything is stable in this world of ours, and has been for a very long time, but for how long? Those that say war is unlikely, are you hiding yourselves from the truth, just so you can sleep easy at night?
So I want to know people of the streets, whats your view on the times between wars? Do you see them as times of real peace, or as just a period of waiting, a time where sharp eyes look for the next weak chink in someones armour? Or am I just being an overly suspicious failed scientific experiment?

Report Post Tip

War and bloodshed is far from a principle in this thing of ours.  Power is what we aim for and if a few lives need to be spared in the process then it happens but why risk your life if there is a safer way to do so.  People that come to the streets looking for war and death look at life like a game, like you can just start over where you left off when someone blew your brains out.  If I am going to work my ass off to build an empire, why would I haul off and start shooting people and lose my life when there could have just been negotiations to handle the problem at hand.  I am not saying I am against the use of deadly force but pick your battles. 

Report Post Tip

Advantage. You say power is what people crave.

To gain ultimate power in this world you must be the big dog.

No-one is currently striving to be that. Instead they are happily awaiting someone to make a grab for it and then slap him down together. I think they all assume that an equal share of the pie is the way forward. I tell you this now. You remember Mem. Your remember UncleNicky. You remember tita. You remember Ganelon.You remember FlyingPig. You will remember (this burns) Marietta.

How many of our leaders out there will honestly say they have left an imprint on this world big enough to be remembered?

Report Post Tip

It was an issue that has been discussed, perhaps in the shadows, for quite some time. Although not set out into clear points this speech has many merits and deserves more than to be ignored by any of those in power to date. 26 of you were walking the streets out of 76 of us when he first spoke these words. In that time many have wandered down to congratulate another new captain. Bold suits were on a half price sale down the tailors last week you know..

It seems the easy route has been taken, the speech ignored and the guns will continue to be trained. You all know the shot will ring out. This man stood before you has put into words what every mobster on these shores is thinking. Perhaps someone better act before it reaches the destination it intends. The actions is yours. Although you may not control the reaction what can Thugs do when their fathers are dead?

Alas, what do I know? I am but a lowly Made Man. It isn't the rank it used to be you know. Dons the new Gangster.

Report Post Tip

Wrong. As much as I love to see this sort of things in our streets, I can't simply agree with the "we need war" mentality. Because, simply, we don't. There is no necessity for war. We can sit for months at a time, making our money, buying our bodyguards, and training our guns. But we aren't lacking "the desire to fight", because no one needs< conflict. What this speech SHOULD inspire, however, is greed. Once we're completely content, we lose our motivation to do what needs to be done. We can idle in peace, which no one objects to.

bighead, you made a great point. "To gain ultimate power in this world, you must be the big dog". However, people don't need "ultimate power". People can settle with wherever they place on the spectrum of "power". Once we have the desire to step up, and possibly step on people's toes, you get conflict.

Report Post Tip

Yes Mux he did make that great point, But also as stated part of the
mafia is striving to be the most powerful. What sort of world are we
living in as Bighead Beautifully put it, where everyone is content with
thier fair share of the pie.

You say people don't need "Ultimate Power" true, But people
definitely want "Ultimate Power" and if anyone says otherwise they are sadly kidding themselves.

Report Post Tip

I believe I heard a wise man rambling on a street corner, and his words have great relevance to this speech. He said that we should all stand up against the "soft bigotry of low expectations." I don't think anyone in this life of ours should ever be content to sit back and let their businesses stagnate. We're mobsters, not the quilting club.

Simply put, expansion requires cutting into other people's shares of business. That can't be accomplished without eliminating them or intimidating them into backing down -- and if they're a self respecting mobster, they probably won't back down. There are not an unlimited supply of people stepping off the boat ready to fill our families. There are not unlimited street corners to place our prostitutes. There are only so many truck shipments that can be seized before businesses pack up and leave. There are only so many people who want to buy our moonshine. At some point, something has to give, and only the barrel of a gun will decide who it is that packs up and goes home to the palace in the sky.

Report Post Tip

Everyone knows that war is a major part to this thing of ours, usually people will be told that war has taken place due to some reason or another, but the real agendas behind this will most likely be boredom or because ultimately, someone does want power. After all, one leader's death is another leader's profit.

Most will agree that they are here to leave some kind of impact in this life and so generally people will strive to become the next Anita or Ganelon. However, these were both individuals who ruled the mafia underworld with an iron fist, shooting down any competition that posed as a threat to their business and so to leave such a mark, individuals must try and follow a similar route to what both of these (for want of a better word) "legends" have gone. Eradicating anyone in their way. Undoubtedly though you will get a few here that are content with sitting pretty and getting on with their own thing, hoping that in the event of a war they will be ignored.

Of course though, things have changed a lot and these days, leaders can be found holed up in their offices behind the infinite amount of bodyguards they have managed to hire and due to this, people would rather sit back and watch because the chances of managing to hit a leader behind their ridiculous amount of Bodyguards is slim. The other problem is that each city will have a different relationship with one another, some may join in when warring, some may step back, no matter what though it seems that if one city goes to war then quite a few others will follow suit and so undoubtedly this is why people are taking a step back and thinking about the possible outcomes of going to war.

Don't be illuded into thinking that constant war is a neccessity though, while people may say it is dull and stagnant in times of peace, people can be content with it. Right now for instance I imagine that business will be going well for each city, new auths have been made and with this will come an increase in jobs and thus more money to be made for that city head.

I don't condone war nor do I condemn it, I simply accept that it is inevitable and for this reason in times of peace you must be prudent.

I'll finish off by quoting a certain fella by the name of Machiavelli: "There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others".

Report Post Tip

It's not a case of ignoring the speech, it's having something to say about it that we don't all already know. We all know that death comes with this life we choose and we all know that wars are absolutely inevitable. The peace inbetween? Inevitable. People getting bored of the peace and bringing the discussion to the streets? Inevitable.

The question is not 'if' but always 'when', when it comes to wars. The longest peace will always eventually be punctuated by a war. People know this without it being said. As it is currently, we have a period of peace with the eight cities running along autonomously, making money under their respective leadership. It's as much part of this thing as war.

Report Post Tip

TigerLionEagleSHARK,  wars in this thing of ours is normal when mafias from other cities or within cities got conflict, thats the way we handle things when there is a conflict inevitable? tell me about it..Bottomline, we dont want war, power, money and desire to be on the top of our cosa nostra, however when a rouge comes or any kinds of conflict comes, we need a war..

As for the power, indeed everyone loves power hell if you dont want it then you must be dead by now in some trash killed by someone who loves power.. and guess what some became impatient to have their spot so they decide the other way to gain power..yeah thats war again.

Overall, war is always there..its just needs someone to turn on the switch, to pull the trigger, to ignite the fire, to launch the attack... well you got the point right?..

Report Post Tip

I think war is not as inevitable as some of you might have us believe. Orchestrated maybe, possible certainly, but not inevitable and not by chance. Anyone even partially astute is bound to notice this thing is more theater than reality. Personally, I have yet to see any power struggles and the only war I know of was started by schoolyard children who simply couldn't get along, it had absolutely nothing to do with business or money or power. The bond that exists between leaders of the cities can outweighs the bonds in their own families, thus keeping a peace that defies the very nature of the "mob".

Report Post Tip

hmm, I agree to a point that this speech is one those to surface around these streets during a time when there is a period of peace.

However, what this fine young chap is asking of the leaders is if they are biting tounges. It certainly seems, from an outside perspective, that people are trying their very hardest to not post anything that could have even the slightest bit of an edge in it. Opinions about those around them, good or bad, are being only discussed behind closed doors.

I actually quite liked the speech. I thought that although it is another "OMGZ I NEED WAR!" speech he has looked at it from a different perspective. Have we now got to a point where leaders are too afraid to speak their minds knowing that bloodlust is there and they could be cast out of the circle and beaten down for speaking out against something or someone?

I know in the years my bloodline has graced these shores I have never ever known this place to be so 'nicey nicey' on the streets. There has to be a reason for it and he was offering a suggestion that I thought only the leaders themselves could answer if they so wished. Are the collective 'you' biting your tounges in fear of being the one to be taken out? Or are you all just truly living happily ever after?

Report Post Tip

It certainly seems, from an outside perspective, that people are trying their very hardest to not post anything that could have even the slightest bit of an edge in it. Opinions about those around them, good or bad, are being only discussed behind closed doors.

Really? We must hang out on very different street corners and read very different newspapers, my Friend.

As far as war going hand in hand with This Thing of Ours, I tend to disagree a little there as well. War tends to be more of an extension of what Our World is all about. Cosa Nostra is built around Honor, Respect, Power, and Business. From time to time, war is used as a tool to obtain these elements. It is not a principle of Our Thing. Instead of sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for the next opportunity to go to the mattresses, why not cherish these times of peace and carve out a niche for yourself in this life? Make some money and focus on personal growth. Build your strength and assets so that when a war does break out, you'll be prepared to defend your Family and your city. Enjoy your life while it is here to enjoy. We all know that this ride could come to an end at any moment.

Report Post Tip

We obviously do hang out on very different street corners and read very different newspapers. Mind, I hear there is a newspaper coming that may just cause a bit of a stir..

I recognise the now censored newspaper caused a little storm in a teapot. But that is a newspaper. Is it not what it's meant to do?

What I am talking about, in regards to the streets at least, is that that there is no-one currently out there who will actually speak thir mind on issues. There are ways of doing so without offending and without being disrespectful. The problem is now that because we have seen nothing for so long, Grin being the only recent example in my eyes, that anyone who now begins to come out of their shell may be slapped down.

I feel there is a very much a 'aprty line' agreed upon by the leaders and they all go down that route on any chosen subject for fear of being the outcast.

However, I feel I am repeating myself a tad in this speech now. If a new point is rasied I will happily debate away but I will refrain from posting in regards to spoken, or should I say non-spoken opinions, for now..

Report Post Tip

Nobody who will speak their mind? Nobody willing to unbite their tongue? I shall unbite my tongue and tell you to shut it! I always have and always will speak my mind. If you don't like it? Great. If it upsets you? Even better. If you say something that upsets me, the more upset you get at my retort the better!

That said, coming out here and bashing all of our current leaders with one broad stick which doesn't quite match the people you are dealing with...

There are ways of doing so without offending and without being disrespectful.

Accuse me of not having the balls to speak my mind? Suggest that I'm unwilling to give my personal views out of fear of not falling in with the crowd? Well, I will take offence and I will see it as a personal attack on my own values, which I hold dear.

Are the collective 'you' biting your tounges in fear of being the one to be taken out? Or are you all just truly living happily ever after?

Personally, I never have and never will fear being taken out. As the Godfather of a city, I know... as I hope my colleagues in each and every other city are aware.. there are a whole host of people just waiting for me to fall. Do I worry about it? Hell no. I've far more important things to think about with my valuable time.

Just because I don't say the same thing that you or any other individual is thinking doesn't mean I'm holding my tongue. It means that either I don't agree it's an issue, I don't care about it as other more important issues take my mind or perhaps it simply means I'm part of the problem and not the solution. Be it any of the above, I care not. However, attack my ability to state my mind or my convictions to say it loudly in the streets... you'll aggrevate me greatly.

Report Post Tip

Although this may be seen as another "wheres the war, I need me some war" speech, that isnt what I had intended it to be. I was merely asking if, in these times of extended peace, people were more likely to (excuse me) grin and let matters slide, for fear of upsetting the norm. I am in no way attacking leaders or their ability to eloquently bring their thoughts to us all in the streets, I am just alluding to the fact that when times are hard and we are stricken with war, are you leaders more likely to air your dirty laundry (so to speak), rather than skirt round issues respectfully? 

I am well aware of the fact that this life of ours can survive for generations without war, as at present we are in the midst of such an age. The comment I made on the inevitability of war was not meant as a personal reflection on my love of the act. I do enjoy these times of peace as they allow me to constructively live out my life in a more creative way, rather than just pushing buttons to get ahead in this life. In these times, I feel able to discuss matters and build relationships easier, as I know many will be around for longer, including myself (hopefully).

And although I am not one to be scared of speaking my mind, I did not in anyway intended to disrespect any leaders or fellow mafiosa in my speech.

Report Post Tip

"I always have and always will speak my mind. If you don't like it?
Great. If it upsets you? Even better. If you say something that upsets
me, the more upset you get at my retort the better!"

Trust me. I like it. Upset me? Why would it. Opinions are like arseholes. Mine is as right as yours. Except you hold the power I mentioned earlier. If I upset you then so be it. I await your retort or your bullet..

What I said was probably not written in the 'How to stay alive in the mob' handbook. It was risque at best and downright stupid at worst however sometimes you just have to speak your mind, right Deimne?

What I was hoping for is the reply you gave. To somehow prove to me, not that anyone needs to in a position of power, for my own clarification, that there are actually those out there who will still come out here and actually challenge something which someone has to say..

As for the broad stick comment. I said what I said in a question form. Not as a challenge to find out who would A. Challenge me and B. Shoot me. I hope those who feel that I have purposefully walked out here and stuck two fingers up to you that I have not. I merely asked a few questions of those in power. You didn't have to answer. At times I didn't expect an answer but it was very informative none the less. I hope to hear from more of you. Obviously the choice is yours but unless you have any particular issue with me then I will not be frequenting this corner again.

I will leave you to your business..

Report Post Tip

After several days upon hearing salvatore_anastasia's opinion..it deeply troubled me and with that saying, ill like to express yet again some puzzling question of our leaders as of today..

Wow is war really orchestrated by the leaders,much like a "dynasty".? That statement puts a huge spit on the face of the leaders today..Ill be damned if this is true..

Report Post Tip

Let me first apologize for any offense to you Mr. Returns. I have nothing but respect for your position and your painting abilities. It was not my intention to offend, just to offer my street observations and interpretations as asked. But lets get to the relevant conundrum before I expire or something. I actually think dynasty is an apt term, and why not? There is nothing wrong with a good dynasty or two. Perhaps someone of my low rank should not speak so. If this is true it is a sad day when the most excitement we see is the death of a loud mouth wise guy.

Report Post Tip

Puck burst out laughing as salvatore apologize to him..

no need to apologize to me, ive known your father and he is quite a guy like you. Yes, by saying some daring or maybe stupid things, youd considered it as death as punishment..Hell i dont even really care about dynasty as long as there is balance or fairness..

oh right life is unfair, and more with mafia..

Puck then go straight ahead at the bar to grab some drink..

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: True Colours
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL