Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 17:40:18
Page:  1 
Coffeeshop Reputations. Started by: ______ on Jan 23, '10 16:22

Ok, I'm out here today to start a discussion. That's what I do.

Nothing has prompted this Discussion, it was Merely a passing thought during my day, and I pondered what others may see on the subject.

Coffeeshops are the places in this world where most Group meetings and Family communication take place. I doubt anyone could deny that. Now, in these coffeeshops, we build relationships. Sometimes alot closer than would have been able to if we were to Exchange mails.

Alot of Hitrooms/War Meetings/Upper Elcheon meetings take place in the backrooms of these coffeeshops. Now, sometimes I wonder if Coffeeshop reputations mean more than actual rank?

I say this on the belief that many bloodlines whom are more active in the Coffeeshops come back with their children being Protected. Sometimes with hundreds of Bodyguards. Now, alot will argue that most of these are returning children after the war, and their Previous bloodlines rank has given them this stature.

But this is not always the case, sometimes bloodlines can stay in the coffeeshops and not join "This thing of ours" for many generations. Alas, sometimes their Kin whom do return, come with an Army of bodyguards. Their previous Bloodline, long gone, could not leave a lingering respect for that long. So I assmue that this bloodline was active in the Coffeeshops whilst away, and their Coffeeshop Reputation has brought them by this "Authority".

Now, I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I'm not saying it is good. I merely ask your own opinions on the matter.

It Intrigues me.

Report Post Tip

It's absolutely fine.

Communication in the streets. Reputation gained as a mobster rather than a connoisseur of Java Blends. The ability to debate a point without becoming offensive. The use of language as a weapon or a tool. The perception others have of your abilities as a mafioso.... all meaningless.

As long as you have a close group of friends in the coffee shop your family will be taken care of generation after generation, and if others don't then that's their problem, isn't it? Fuck 'em.

The_Liar never lies.

Report Post Tip

Well it would be nice if you put your opinion down in black and white.  

I think it's totally ridiculous.  As I've said before, because the father is loyal does not mean the son, grandson, or great grandson should be trusted--neither with millions of dollars in hard earned money (taxed from the rest of the crew, of course) nor with a position of leadership.  This has spiraled out of control and is taking me some getting used to.

I remember a time long ago when the city leaders would be up in arms if the son of an old leader was promoted without proving his or her own worth.  Sadly this time is gone.  It is now traditional practice to alienate all who are not the children of coffee shop regulars and who are too damn busy in life to become coffee shop regulars themselves.  

That said, I also understand the mentality of the family heads.  Why would you promote those who you do not know?  Why allow a casual mafioso into your circle of power when you have the children of known and trusted friends at your beckon call in the coffee shop?

I will caution - we do not have freedom of speech in this thing of ours - nor should we.  I will say what I say because I am not afraid to kill or die.  Sadly I think that this debate is played out and will go no further as the grand majority of our fellow soldiers are either content with mediocrity or afraid to do anything about it.

Report Post Tip

Well it would be nice if you put your opinion down in black and white.

Alot seem to misunderstand why I start these discussions. I stated that it was merely a passing thought as to which I had little concern of. I merely enjoy seeing others opinions on the matter, it does not mean that I care enough about the subject to have a strong opinon on the matter.

Now I will hear you ask, "So why start the discussion, if you dont care?"

The answer is simple, because sometimes others find them hard to start themselves.

Report Post Tip

Apologies.  I was actually referring to The_Liar who I find interesting and impossibly clever.

Report Post Tip

As you said "Coffeeshops are the places in this world where most Group meetings and Family communication take place. I doubt anyone could deny that. Now, in these coffeeshops, we build relationships. Sometimes alot closer than would have been able to if we were to Exchange mails.

Alot of Hitrooms/War Meetings/Upper Elcheon meetings take place in the backrooms of these coffeeshops."

So do you think people that witness this things, that actually participate on these issues are more or less prepared to handle responsibilities than the ones that don't?

Also, as we already discussed, RHM, LHM etc are positions that require trust. Will you trust a person closer to you or the other?

What you're describing is not the reason, but the consequence. People who frequent coffee shops have better connections, better positions and because of that has special protection since he begins his life in La Cosa Nostra.

I like to say that a big part of our businesses happens in the coffee shops. Our world is not limited by these streets. That's the reason we have input the Chat Avenue in our map.

If you happens to not be there, at least while you're working your petty crimes, then you're missing the chance to learn about our organisation.

Report Post Tip

I put it down to family ties. We are from Italy after all, and as I remember it before I left Italy and arrived on these shores, my family had many ties with other families that transferred through generations and generations. That tradition, if you like, has been going on for centuries where certain families have reputations and their name is known for decades. It's really not unheard of for some bloodlines to be well known purely for their bloodline.

Report Post Tip

If you happens to not be there, at least while you're working your petty crimes, then you're missing the chance to learn about our organisation.

Im going to assume you are talking about me personally, and correct you.

I have plenty of Coffeeshop ties for myself, I most likely could have my own army of bodyguards. I chose not to, so that I can say that I have earned that I get by my work alone.

So do you think people that witness this things, that actually participate on these issues are more or less prepared to handle responsibilities than the ones that don't?

I never even hinted at such a thing.

What you're describing is not the reason, but the consequence. People who frequent coffee shops have better connections, better positions and because of that has special protection since he begins his life in La Cosa Nostra.

Now, in these coffeeshops, we build relationships. Sometimes alot closer than would have been able to if we were to Exchange mails.

Sounds like a reason for coffeeshop Reputations to me, not a consequence.

Report Post Tip

Nope was a general you. Not you "_____".

And nope, being in the coffee shops build you relationships and these relationships leads to the privilege. Consequence.

Report Post Tip

Ok, I'm sorry, what is the "Reason" to it then?

Because I thought the Reason people got these relationships was via being in Coffeeshops alot.

Report Post Tip

The reason is being interested in the way This thing of ours works.

And to add my previous comment, I'd never address someone personally in a street debate. That just works to convert an argument in personal dispute.

Report Post Tip

There was a time back in the day, when Coffeeshops and "this thing of ours" were considered unlinked.

A great mafioso by the name of Flying Pig tried with all his might to keep it this way, but alas times change.

Report Post Tip

*<em> While lighting a splif he walks up to the people gathered on the street assumingly holding a discussion about the coffeeshops, the streets...live</em>*

Im sorry to disturb you gentlemen but I couldn't help it overhearing some of your conversations. It is without a doubt that our coffeeshops gives us another dimension in live. A more personal touch to our life of crime. But is walking down the streets mingling with people so much different then sitting down in a coffeeshop for a chat?

The people you refer to having a coffeeshop reputation, perhaps even exceeding their rank in the hierarchy of this world, most of them received that reputation by either putting on a bold suit or their personality. I remember a mafioso called Premeir, his offspring is now one of the priests to the Gods, was known for his wacking. He was a born hitman and his offspring all followed him. I remember him wacking out an entire generation of a certain Corleone family. The reputation his offspring has was born from that.

I remember a head of a famiglia called Evsie. To be honest before he put on a bold suit I never heared of him, once he did my great-great (etc.) father joined his famiglia and ever since he earned that reputation he now holds.

Respect is everything in this world. When younger generations offer the respect and resources to people coming from a long and respected generation I purely see that as showing respect to one another. History is what makes people bond, these people and their older generations are part our history in this world.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Coffeeshop Reputations.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL