Get Timers Now!
X

May 12 - 23:48:30
Page:  1 
Newcomers: Gotta make a living somehow Started by: D-Kat on Feb 01, '10 13:16

D-Kat walked down the cold dark street of the Chicago night, his gaze locked forward as he did. The only thing to see was that he didn't run into anyone 'important' who might take action against his carelessness. Things were happening everywhere, yet most weren't things anyone wanted to see. It was best you didn't complicate things by being a witness. Its just better if you don't see anything. The harsh reality of the world, even if you saw someone stealing from a little old lady, the best course of action is to just keep moving. For all you know, he could be armed. Or even worse, he could be 'connected'. Interfering with Business, as these men called their dirty deeds, could mean your life.

The best idea was to try to make your own money however you could. If you were lucky, the local 'families' may take notice of your skill. If you were luckier, they wouldn't notice you stepping on their toes.

Three blocks to my apartment... D-Kat thought to himself. His eyes darted to the side, and he saw a woman, maybe in her late 20s, or early 30s. She looked real proper, with her fancy dress, and all those necklaces. Those necklaces, he thought to himself, might look better in my pocket. No.. I can't do that, too tough to get to, too many people around. Her purse, on the other hand, lay slung around her arm carelessly.

Without turning his head, D-Kat shot out his arm and snatched the purse away from the woman. Shoving her to the side after, he took off running. He watched the street freely now, as in a sprint it was harder to stop if a 'made man' was walking into his path. Bumping into them was bad enough - barreling into them at top speed would surely be his last mistake.

Darting down two blocks, he jerked himself around one street to try to shake the woman, or anyone else in pursuit. His eyes scanned - There was an alleyway that cut through the last block, across the street. But a dark alleyway usually meant more than just a quick route away. His heart was pumping, and his brain was storming furiously. He couldn't sit around and think, a decision had to be made now before anyone caught up. Looking both ways for cars, D-Kat races across the street and bound through the alleyway.

Report Post Tip

Surrounded by his bodyguards Rory was returning home from his evening out at the local speak easy, as he walked he saw a slim figure fly backwards as he ran straight into the biggest bodyguard. Followed by the unmistakeable sound of the drawing of guns.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I was running away from my victim.. I stole her purse and someone gave chase. I'm so sorry, please don't kill me."

Rory scratched his head as he listened to the kid speak

"Put your guns away, the lad's bricking himself. let me through, get out of the way."

Rory battled his way to the front of the crowd of bodyguards before dragging the young lad to his feet.

"You gotta watch where you're running kid, you're lucky you're not dead already. You must be new around these parts huh? I suggest you get yourself down to the local speak easy. There are some hotshots down there who can get you setup in this thing of ours, you won't get anywhere without a family. You need protection to do anything these days."

"Think about what I said kid. It's important, now go on. Skiddadle."

D-Kat nodded quickly before scarpering off into the darkness.

Report Post Tip

D-Kat stumbled off through the alley, his hands fumbling at the door knob. Not soon enough, he got the door open. Pushing it back as he bolted up his stairs, he quickly burst into his room at the third floor, and leaned back against the door after making sure it was firmly locked.

Damnit, of all the things to happen... I knew I shouldn't have gone down that alley..

Tossing the purse onto the floor in front of him, he thought about what the man had said. The speak-easy. One of prohibitions most notorious inventions. Why the group had spared his life, he had no idea. The same man that had given him the advice - He told them not to shoot. He also mentioned having a 'family'. Could it be he had the misfortune of bumping into one of the most dangerous type on the street, a made man in the mafia?

I guess I'm just lucky I ran into his friend, and not him..

Pulling himself up to his feet, Kat went over to his bed. Maybe this would be a bad dream. Laying his head against the pillow, he closed his eyes. A bad dream he told himself. Or is it? If he didn't kill me, maybe he saw some potential. He did recommend finding a family..  When his eyes opened, the sunlight was pouring out onto the floor. Getting up, he picked up the purse on the floor, and emptied out the contents. Pushing aside all the personal items and hygiene products, he grabbed the wallet. Quickly grabbing the bills and dropping the wallet, he counted out what he had in his hands. 47 dollars? Better than nothing.

Later that evening. D-Kat nervously walked into a speakeasy. Now.. How do I go about doing this. You don't just go around asking people about the family unless you want to meet the wrong end... Finding a seat by himself, D-Kat sat, hands propped on the table, staring down. I gotta figure out what I'm gonne do..

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Newcomers: Gotta make a living somehow
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL