Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 08:37:16
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
Businesses and running costs. Started by: Blagger on Feb 05, '10 11:03

Actually this is a bit of an idea I have almost suggested elsewhere (corporations thread)

I think Business threads should have a set up cost, at least part of which should go to the cities GF. Also there should be a weekly running cost for that business based on popularity of the thread, again a percentage of which should go to the cities GF. Popular threads - 10 posts per day by different people (for example) other than the owner, should generate revenue, nothing major, just enough to offset set-up and running costs. this would hopefully help reduce the amount of piss poor businesses that litter the Business forums. It would also discourage people from opening the same business in every city and take 3 weeks to get back to their customers. poorly run or ignored businesses should have far higher running costs.

If you have insufficient money to cover your running costs your business would be declared bankrupt and closed/locked and eventually deleted.

Admin should then have the ability to declare a business Bankrupt where by its obvious that the business is in poor taste, poorly run or of poor quality, resulting in the loss of the set up cost and an increase in the cost of setting up any future businesses due to higher bribes to the Federal government based on the fact that as you have been declared bankrupt you are prohibited from owning or running another business for at least 10 years.

This of course would open up a whole host of other possible modifications, such as sons/daughters paying to take over their parents business, in effect transferring running costs to them, or selling a popular business to someone else to run when you decide you have had enough.

So what do you all think of my silly idea?

Report Post Tip

Honestly, I don't think it should cost money to run businesses. If anything, we should encourage business owners (perhaps by using the MRSE) by paying THEM and not the other way around.

Report Post Tip

I agree with Kates. As it happens in real world, the business owners should get some profit through the stocks.

Report Post Tip

But business owners in the real world don't automatically make money, and if you read what i posted, sucessful businesses would be rewarded.

Report Post Tip

I agree with kates also... and i like the bankrupt idea!

Report Post Tip

I think it should cost money to run a business... but should also generate cash when people other than family members post. And if you cant run it into making profits... than you bankrupt. That would be more realistic.

Report Post Tip

Most of this community is built on forums - and it might very well turn some people off for the initial cost.

Report Post Tip

There are a lot of people who never attend the business districts, I know of at least one GF for whom this is true. At the same time the business districts are rife with OOC posts, and historically inncurat posts. All I'm trying to do is suggest a way that rewards quality and encourages good businesses instead of some using it as an easy way to get their posts u with no efort.

Report Post Tip

I've seen a few more suggestions lately similar to this. For instance Vicodin's suggestion of Godfather control over the business forum and Aftershock's suggestions on revamping the business districts.

Still think this or something else to change how the business districts are run would be a good idea, and a more realistic add on.

Report Post Tip

I think this idea would be addressed if the MRSE comes back. I miss it. :(

Report Post Tip

This is a wonderful Idea. This would be a great addition for roleplaying. Also it adds a little more realism to this Thing Of Ours.

Report Post Tip

Thank you Fulmineo.

Also, CN, if you are still around in another guise, I don't feel the MRSE addresses this, it just offers the possibility of more active businesses because me and my 10 mates want to make a killing on the stock exchange. It also offers the possibility of people opening businesses, making a quick killing then ignoring them after selling all their stock.

Report Post Tip

I agree with sneaky rat in that if you have to pay money to set up a business then you should definately recieve money either from a certain amount each time a post is made or from stocks and shares ie. if its a god business you make money, if its a bad one you dont. otherwise your giving money for nothing - if there's going to be economic realism with the business forums then it should be everything or nothing otherwise its unfair and people lose out.

Report Post Tip

although I have no idea what god businesses actually entail, organized religion after all is a complex issue.

Report Post Tip

Well that's what I originally suggested.

1) Set up cost part goes to City GF, rest is absorbed back into game
2) Weekly running costs again as above.
3) Successful businesses = money back and profits (Minus your CL's cut of course :p)
4) Unsucessful business = Increase in running costs and eventual bankruptcy.

As for what constitutes a sucessful business? Well I guess that would be the same criteria as to what constitutes a sucessful street thread. Quality well thought out initial post, and several quality well thought out responses. Would have to be similar to the info skill to save crews moving from city to city posting 'Can I have fries with that?' en masse in its members businesses.

Another side effect is that you are more likely to have businesses set up in the home city of the proprietor... after all, who wants to give money to some other GF? :p

Report Post Tip

This looks like an awesome idea, I'd love to see something like this enacted.

Report Post Tip

I'm a big big fan of using game monies for the business district. Its been shot down by the user base a time or two i believe. No one wants to give up monies that could be going to make more IWPers or credits for MIAs.

Report Post Tip

Umm, I'm kind of caught half way cause I'm seriously thinking of a business idea and it really fits with the program. the thing is if the cost of setting it up were to unreasonable I wouldn't be doing it. Now I realize business should be for profit but, what if it was the desire of the business owner not to make money ( sounds really dumb eh) from the business. You might say what I have in mind couldn't fail. If you consider something like a business fee then on the opposite side you must allow for a source of revenue. Is this really a good idea. 

Report Post Tip

I feel this would almost entirely kill of the business district, I could be wrong but that is my current view.

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Businesses and running costs.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL