Get Timers Now!
X

May 12 - 20:20:51
Page:  1 
A Scenario to Ponder Started by: SolidGoldEasyAction on Feb 20, '10 19:29

*SGEA sips his drink and begins a hypothetical discussion with his buddies*

Mutually Assured Destruction or a Negotiated Settlement?

OK - here's the scenario. Two Godfathers go to war - each tries to kill the other twice, each misses both times. There are some deaths in the respective cities also. In this situation, would the Godfathers fight to the death or would they Sit Down?

Both courses of action have merits.

Would they, after a ceasefire, bide their time to take the other out?

Would they join together and live happily ever after?

Has something similar happenend before, possibly two Dons or CL's?

I ponder, I ponder, I ponder..

Your thoughts?

Report Post Tip

To my knowledge, no war has ever finished in a peaceful manner. It always goes down to whomever wins or loses.

I think this happens due to bropken trust, whomever declared war obviously cannot be trusted again. Or in the case that the defending side be losing enough to warrant a peaceful solution, they are weak enough to kill off completely, thus eliminating the "Revenge" factor.

Report Post Tip

broken*

Excuse my poor english. I tend to Slur when intoxicated.

The guildmaster wobbles on his feet.

Report Post Tip

Peace never lasts, yet death is eternal. Your enemy poses no threat when dead.

May i ask you a question? Who in their right mind would resign a war to peace, leaving the enemy at large and ready for vengence? If you go to war you see it through. Win or lose, to the death you fight.

Report Post Tip

In this instance, I will always say fight to the death.  Families do not feud without purpose in this thing of ours and usually that purpose is enough to die for. 

If a negotiation ever occurred I would immediately assume one side or the other was planning another attack and using the negotiations as a delay tactic.

Report Post Tip

Tyrion listens while placing some soft tobacco in a small rolling paper and making himself a smoke. Lighting up he steps forward to throw in two cents

Well, historically wars can end in mutually beneficial agreements. Normally the scenario would require that both sides generated economic growth and development from the arrangement. The mechanics of war itself have always been a money making scam. This has been pointed out by many involved in the architecture and execution of numerous great conflicts.

However the scenario we see in this thing of ours, follows different laws. If we take your scenario with Godfather/mother wars. In terms of stalemates, truces and any other form of mutual end to conflict in our society, any such show would just be a charade. Public theatre that amounts to little more than prolonging the inevitable demise of one side or the other. Regardless of initial intent or sincerity of effort, mutually agreed ends to wars tend to amount to little more than ceasefires.

Report Post Tip

From experience, I've known it to be kept between the 2 leaders, which I think is acceptable.

However,in that experince I mention, your very scenario was the case. The 2 leaders missed 'x' amount of times on each other, so this resulted in all out war.

Basically, the 2 did not want the members of their families involved unless absolutely necessary.

Report Post Tip

From what my bloodline has seen, the only possible outcome is to keep fighting. Presumably, all the negotiations you are hoping for in your other scenario were already attempted before one of the parties decided to attack the other.

In case the GFs are missing their shots on each other, they start shooting slightly lower targets and have their hitters trim down the BGs of the enemy GF until they are able to shoot through them.

Report Post Tip

TrevT listens to this conversation, lights up a cigar and replies

Due to the fact that both Godfathers/Godmothers fired upon each other the only possible solution would be for the death of one or both of them becuase there is clearly enough bad blood that this would not be able to be simply forgotten by negoatiation.

TrevT leans back and whats for a response

Report Post Tip

If Godfather A declares war on Godfather B,it has a purpose. Godfather A wants to eliminate GF B and will stop at nothing until he or his enemy dies.

Now,if GF B offered peace with Godfather A,it would most likely be declined and laughed at,or,accepted as an advantage to be able to rebuild and go at it again... That's what I think,anyways.

Report Post Tip

If they both have tried to kill each other, and twice at that, I don't see how they can make peace. There is absolutely no trust and they both want each other dead. It would just be delaying the inevitable and extremely stupid if they ceased fire. Giving their opposition more time to strike back against them.

I have never known anyone who would go to war, take multiple shots, and try to make peace. If you cant take out the other family, don't start a war with them.  You might also want to try a bit harder then to take 2 shots before giving up. You should know the other leader won't settle for anything less then your life if you tried to take theirs.

Report Post Tip

Peace?  No way, there's no such thing as peace.  Peace just means "I'll storm your compound tomorrow while you're asleep in your bed and I have the advantage."

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A Scenario to Ponder
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL