Get Timers Now!
X

May 12 - 10:00:35
Page:  1 
Mafia Induction Ceremony Started by: Compton_Effect on Feb 22, '10 16:24

I was looking through my bloodline's journals the other day and I stumbled upon a topic about induction ceremonies. An induction ceremony  is commonly called a sort of 'recruitment' in this present day. Proceeding with the ways of recruitment, a new member will approach some head of the family and present themselves in a way that grants them an invite - following a list of rules with a signature. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because as far as I know, that covers the basics of new members being accepted into crews.

Now on the other hand, induction ceremonies that my early generations wrote about follows the lines of today's recruitment, but many more steps were involved. After the initial conversation, this potential member would next be taken to a private place where the Boss and other trusted members are awaiting. Then they join hands and recite the oaths and promises of loyalty. This potential member will then continue to promise to be a member of the crew for life and signs his promises with a drop of blood from the trigger finger. This is all done in front of the Boss and other trusted members. 

Do you  have your members promise their loyalty before accepting? Signature with blood?

When that's all done, there's was a test a member had to pass before being considered for induction. They had to present a skill in making money along with the willingness to commit acts of violence - usually murder. Finally, after the potential member passes the test, the individual is now considered a member of the crew and the induction ceremony is completed. It's alot to do compared to modern day's recruitment, but personally, I would like to see this more because it emphasizes the true meaning of this thing of ours.  

Does anyone else conduct these practices or simply takes it further than a conversation and signature? 

Report Post Tip

Induction is an interesting word.  It sounds so hall-of-fame-ish.  I'm not sure it fits the description  you've given it for a couple of reasons. 

I first want to say - what each family does for incoming "members" is very personal, and probably not something they wish to discuss in the streets.  Every family does something different.  That's not to say any one way is better than any other way, just different. 

Induction obviously implies membership, so I'm with you there.  But let's talk about that word.  Membership.  In some families, membership doesn't occur until you've actually been made in this thing of ours.  The rest of us are simply associates.  Nothing more. 

I would venture to say most families have that ceremony you've discussed at that point in an associate's life - when they are about to go from an associate to a "member" of the family.  But, again, that too is personal to each family and their leader.

Report Post Tip

I think you are thinking of the "Button Man" Ceremony, in which a blood oath is taken. New members are not put to this test as they are merely associates to the family, not actual family members.

Report Post Tip

I'm completely aware what you're saying _____ and I agree with the majority of your points Hal Jordan. 

My apologies for using confusing terms. Whenever I mentioned the term "member", I was referring to an associate. I specifically left out "family" whenever I mentioned  "member" so it was clear I wasn't speaking about the Button Man ceremony _____ pointed out. Also, I mentioned the words like "new member", "recruitment", "potential member",  and "initial conversation" to further emphasize the  beginning stages of a mobster that I'm referring to.  Again, sorry for the confusion - I hope this makes it clearer.

I believe what each family does for an incoming member isn't personal at all. Obviously, what's being said in the conversation is personal but the actions leading up to the acceptance is not. I'm sure it's safe to assume that the 'recruitment' starts at a conversation, intermissions with an invite, and then ends with a signature on some list of rules. As I said, please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure that covers the basics when we speak of modern day's term, recruitment. I put a fine line between the words 'recruitment' and 'induction ceremony' to stay consistent with the difference I was trying to point out.

I'm curious to see if anyone conducts these practices as my ancestors described. It seems like today's 'recruitment' is a simplified version of the 'induction ceremony' I mentioned above. This is where I was saying it would be a good thing to bring these practices back because it would emphasize the true meaning of this thing of ours. Additionally, showing new "associates" how tightly knit this thing is suppose to be. 

Report Post Tip

Compton_Effect, I actually remember my grandfather telling me stories of similar events.

Only certain crews though, the biggest most powerful crews of a LONG LONG time ago used to employ the practices you are asking about now. That was back in the days when organised crime was bigger business than it is now, when crews sometimes reached 150 odd members in size. It was never the boss and the top brass though, it would be a trusted made-man or recruiter who would conduct these trials on their CL's behalf.

I know what you're saying, about how the various crews around today might seem easier to get involved with, but lets not pretend that we aren't making a comparison with the best of the best crews from a time when the Dons could afford to be much more selective than is practical now. Those very few exceptions aside, most of the crews from back in the day employed exactly the same recruiting practices as are used now, and while maybe becoming an associate to a crew might not take too much hard work, certainly in Chicago for a member to rise up the ranks, to be Made, is no small achievement.

Report Post Tip

lets not pretend that we aren't making a comparison with the best of the best crews

I'm guilty as charged, sir!

Compton starts to turn red.

Report Post Tip

Hearing the man speak, Tyrion decides to stop and listen while he makes himself a smoke. After hearing what a few people had to contribute, he speaks up.

"The old ways are still around. In some sense more clearly defined through sponsorship than they were in the way-back-when.

No family would accept people into the inner circle, the family 'proper' if you like, until they were trusted. On a base level, a family is a money making organisation, as such it will always look for new avenues and associates to increase its revenue stream. Will a Made Man want to get to know you if he can see you are making money? Yes. Will they be interested in the money you can make for them? Yes. Will they trust you? Hell no. And why should they?

If you are attracting attention and showing yourself to be a potential asset, a Made member may speak to you, find out more about you. You may approach them, attempt to strike up a conversation and speak in such a way that would set you apart from the crowd. If your earning potential looks good and you carry yourself and converse in a manner in keeping with respected traditions, the made member may take a shine to you. If they think you can earn well and behave in a manner that will bring no shame to them or the family they represent, they may decide to offer to sponsor you. This is step one. The trial. During this period you will work for the made member that is sponsoring you, all the tribute you hand over will go to that member and not to the head of their family. You work for them and carry their name. What tribute they kick upstairs to their family is their business. You are being watched, tested and given a base level of behavioural responsibility to see how you handle it.

If you embarrass the member that sponsored you, bring shame to them through bad behaviour or attitude, in all probability you will be killed. However if you work hard, generate healthy tributes, earn the respect and trust of the people you interact with, things can progress. If the member believes you have shown yourself to be a credit to them, they may be willing to recommend you for a place in the family they are a part of. They will be of the opinion that you are made of the right stuff, that you could handle carrying the family name. At this point you may be asked to approach the head, or one of the highly ranked members of the family about joining.

With the recommendation from your sponsor and your proven record of behaviour, earning and responsibility, you may be awarded a place in the family. At this point you will be watched all the more closely and the way you conduct yourself will be more important than ever. You will be permitted to use the family name and present yourself in your affairs as a part of the family. All the benefits that go with that will be yours. Your tributes will now be paid directly to the family.

This next period is a repetition of the first but under much greater scrutiny. For an undefined period of time the upper structure of the family will watch you. Could be months, could be years. The responsibilities and duties, the level of trust and knowledge you will be given will be increased slowly over this period. Until they are convinced that you are 100% trustworthy and would be a beneficial addition to the central core of the organisation. Then and only then, will you be 'made' and awarded your button. From this point on, for the rest of your days you will be a fully fledged member of the family. All in all, it's a long road."

Some emerging families, looking to establish themselves may not have the means to utilise every aspect of traditional sponsorship periods etc. The nature of their operation may not deem it viable during initial phases. That's their call. In cases such as this the starting block is most commonly the initial trial period in the family proper, carrying the name, benefits and responsibilities etc. In the larger and more established families, the path to acceptance should incorporate all the phases.

If a person was looking to embark in this thing of ours and saw nothing of what I have just described, I would question the nature of the organisation they were looking to become a part of."
Lighting his smoke, he gives a respectful nod to the gathering and steps back.

Report Post Tip

My own family has it's own unique way of Accepting new Members into my "Family" - It takes Hours upon Hours of Work and loyalty to me and the Guild before becoming "one of us". Yet how we conduct this, in private, is our own matter. I wouldn't want to break Omerta would I? And you won't find one of my Guys making trip ups like that.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Mafia Induction Ceremony
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL