Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 28 - 17:12:33
Page:  1 
Debates - A solution? Started by: Father_TeQ on Mar 01, '10 04:05

It's not because there's nothing to talk about, it's not because nothing ever happens here. It's quite a simple reason really.

My time on these shores thus far has been relatively short, but even
in this short time I believe I see the real problem behind the streets.
It's not the lack of subjects to comment on or the laziness of the people still hanging around here.

It is simply a case of being stubborn. A lot of people here seem to have my forefathers attitude of "I'm right, you're wrong and now I'm going to make you look 3 inches tall". It worked for my forefathers but it's definitely not going to work here anymore (well not in the sense that it will drag more people to the streets). There are too many people that are too narrow-minded to change their views with time. They believe this world is always going to be the same. They're always going to have the same friends their pappy had, join the same families and so on, so they end up stuck in their ways.

Now.... I'm not saying this is a bad thing, my blood has been in that rut and I'm sure future generations may fall into the same trap, however it does create a lack of debate as one member of a bloodline will always have the same opinion as their predecessor. I think people need to take a step back and think about their comments when speaking in the streets. Their blood has gone over some of the topics so many times in their history that they just reply exactly the same each time without giving any up to date consideration of the topic in question.

So... here's food for thought.

Do you really believe that in x amount of generations a bloodline's opinion wouldn't waiver in the slightest? That they have not only the same friends and family, but also the same opinions? Granted, it might stick in certain bloodlines values longer than others, but still... do we not all have minds of our own?

So next time you get out your soapbox and read from that script, just... don't. Take a step back and think if you want this world to go monotonously round, or you want it to go round and round with you not knowing when you're going to get off.

Love, The Padre.

Report Post Tip

I don't necessarily subscribe to this theory. Granted, I share many of the same associates, contacts and friends as some of my forebears, but that is not to say I am not my own man.

For example, my ancestor KingOfOnePercent served Acute as Right Hand Man,just as I now serve Acute's Grandson Iota. That's about where the similarity stops. Where KOOP was happy to pack warm bodies in the HQ, gladly encouraging unscrupulous recruiting practises, I preach the polar opposite. To use another example, my great Grandfather Branston held great belief in the importance and presentaton of a Crewleader as the ultimate figurehead, an absolute monarch if you will; so much so that this became a personal motive during the infamous 'Iris War'.

Whilst I don't wish to come across as overly self involved in reference to my bloodline, I feel my point is obvious; my bloodline is something to be proud of, yet just as I do not expect to be judged on my forebears past achievements, I equally do not want to be assumed to have the exact same thoughts and opinions as them. In fact, were they alive today, I could well imagine them standing on the opposite side of the fence than myself (Difficult as it is to believe I would not be on the fence of course!) Whilst they would preach romanticised ideals, I would lean towards pragmatic realism.

Essentially, without rabbiting too much, I have my own identity. Having said that, I seem to be among the minority in this regard, many of the 'mobsters' who walk the streets are so fucking dull they cannot even be diffrentiated from their fathers by name or appearance.

Report Post Tip

before I begin, I would like to commend you for sharing your thoughts, as this should never be discouraged - but I do not believe you understand the entire picture just yet.

I am seeing a youngster who has picked up his bloodlines most recognized alias and on first instance bark with the same voracity that his forefathers once did. I would not normally care, as sucesses deserve to be celebrated - but considering you mentioned people appear to be stuck in their ways, it appears quite hypocritical through my glasses.

the "problem" with our streets is not soley because certain people cannot manage to think independanty and have a mind of their own, you have to question why - and stubborness may play a part but the bottom line is that they are not being challenged on there age-old views, so why should they change their opinions?

Report Post Tip

(ooc: apologies for my atrocious spelling of the word: "independent". I know it is disgusting to see).

Report Post Tip

I think i know what you mean, but i will go out on the limb here and try to make myself look honest. You may or may not believe this but my bloodline did not join a family simply because they were friends. It all depended on his hard work... on who has noticed him. Of course when one of my bloodlines kin entered this thing of ours some of his fathers friends contacted him. But he often chose the one that his father knew less about... why? Because this widened his horizons and his circle of friends became larger. Me, i have many friends, from different cities. I would rather be in a large group than a small one. For the later, i certainly would'nt last very long. And being stubborn, well... it never leads to a long life. But that is my opinion.

Report Post Tip

I have to say that while there are opinions that my bloodline will always hold to, there are some that have changed over time. A prime example of this would be pickpocketing what used to be known as mugging. Way back in time went it was introduced into our way of life, my line was dead against it. I could only see it as a disrespectful act that could only be considered as an act of violence. But after many different debates over a great length of time my opinion has changed somewhat and while I don't truly agree with it, there are circumstances that it doesn't bother me as it once did.

The thing you must understand Father_TeQ as you've been around these streets longer than I have, over the years certain values have been instilled in us and will always be carried on to the next in our line.

Report Post Tip

I have to say you have a valid point, yet Opinions following Bloodlines is a natural occurance most of the time. When a small child is raised and show a certain set way of doing things, or having the certain views, they generally soak it up like a sponge.

I know I certainly don't follow my forefathers Views on this world, he was a very angry man who cared far too much about the little things. As difficult as it may be to believe from my Street Speeches so far, I am alot more relaxed than my previous Bloodline.

Yet, this does not mean my Fathers view was wrong, or needed changing. You have a clearer view than most about this subject, I think you are looking at it in a very negative manner though.

What works, prospers. Right?

Report Post Tip

I'm glad you pointed out me barking with the same voracity as my ancestors sanpei and only time will show you the difference in character I have to my forefathers, but that's for another day. Also, your point is quite valid that their has been nothing or no-one to challenge the age-old views and opinions. We can only hope that someone finds some brilliant idea's and is able to implement them or the Gods giving us something, I guess the real question then should be... "Does anyone out there have something new?"

Either way, something's gotta change and it would be much easier if we all could. :)

I am pleased some bloodlines have changed and I apologise unreservedly for tarring everyone with the same brush. However, the fact remains that a good majority of the population are guilty of this.

Report Post Tip

Try applying the same critique to behaviour rather than words Father_Teq, this is a much more influential tactic and more difficult to change, right?

Report Post Tip

The basic problem is that there are only so many things to discuss. The physical structure of our day to day lives only covers so much ground, and with so many of our families having been around for so very many years, repetition is inevitable.

From time to time an ancestor of mine would take an opposing position to that which our genetics, our shared history and our own learning would traditionally mean we would take... this has been more of an intellectual exercise than anything, an opportunity to closely examine the other side of an arguement by, basically, arguing against their own beliefs.

As interesting as this is, it doesn't really change our core moral values. When I was a youngster whenever I came to the streets I did so only to spread lies and disinformation, even in a debate I would effectively take the opposing view... with my new responsibilities this has had to be curtailed somewhat as I could be seen as speaking as RHM for JkL rather than just myself.

The other issue is that, debate as we will, all policy is dictated by power, those with the muscle to enforce a policy change can do so, for the rest of us, it's just words. While words can sometimes promote change by suggesting an idea, or an alternative approach - it really comes down to the opinions of the few that count.

Report Post Tip

Puck steps up in the soapbox with nothing in his hands, you will not see any papers in his hands nor plops behind the alley. Puck glistened first at the height of his position and after people notices him and the crowd fell silent.

Unfortunately, my father who's the first ever mafioso in our bloodline can be considered as mute. He despises debates and discussion..He is more like a typical criminal who knows nothing about diplomacy and the art of speaking.

However My stance to this subject is definitely antithesis of my father's. Ive said this a million times before, I love debates.. I love many people use their minds once in awhile for the sake of my entertainment and probably other debate-lovers.. I do love to talk too but words in the streets lately has been blankless discussions, repetitive stories and other major announcement across the great cities.

So there you have it, We are individuals, we have our own decisions and principles, It is entirely up to us if we want to preserve our blood's heritage or perish it away.

Report Post Tip

It is an interesting theory of how people behave based on the environment that they live in. Some people rebel against their parents ways of life and other embrace it as an absolute of how life should be. Then those who adopt the traits of their parents that are the best parts and learn new facets and adapt the best parts of them is really what we need to see to see growth in a society. So really the growth of society depends on people being able to broaden their horizons. If we look at many societies they flourish and die they usually failed to adapt to change and became self destructive. So the true issue here is are we doomed to become wiped out like so many other groups because of a lack of adapting?

Report Post Tip

hmm its an interesting discussion really. Those who do not adapt to the situation  have to either find a way to solve the problem or learn to live with it...

Report Post Tip

Bell walks towards the sopbox and starts to step up on it, then backs away and boots it across the street.

There. There is your first change. Get ride of this "soapbox" and get down on everyone else's level.

Bell sighs with pleasure, as she's wanted to do that for a while now. Turning to TeQ standing amongst the men on the street corner, and flashes him a brilliant smile before pushing her red hair back out of her eyes.

TeQ, I am glad to see your bloodline has crossed over to these shores once again. It also makes me smile to see you out here stirring up the streets. Your family was always a true asset in making these streets a place to be, either in seriousness or in all silliness.

To address the two points you've brought up. Well, I think I've started to anwer the second one about how to change things. Bell points to the shattered soapbox in the smiddle of the street and lets out a giggle. Do you know how long I've wanted to do that??

That has to be our first step to change. Talking down to, and or insulting men and women in these streets has always been a sign of low intellect in my personal opinion. I have no respect for those in this world who feel the need to insult every associate that comes out here and attempts to be somebody. Granted, if said new associates come out here and act like complete asses, they deserve what they get. But I have seen times where people were making true attempts at having presence on the streets & get insulted for doing so.

Now, to tie this into your first point. Do family bloodlines ever change their stances or opinions? I do believe we all do over time. As things in this thing of ours change and evolve, we have to shape and form our opinons to adapt. If you do not do this, you will end up relying on your past family bloodlines and their achievements in order to get your point across.

I guess, in all reality, the only solution I can offer for this is for those of us who have long bloodline histories to start opening our minds and our doors to the newer associates in this world.
Reach out and touch a thug today!

Bell smiles again at TeQ, and then to the other men on the street, and walks off down the street, whistling an upbeat tune in honor of her temporary victory over the soapbox.

Report Post Tip

Oh, the irony of finding out about these words coming from the girl that would soon after belittle one of my men...

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Debates - A solution?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL