Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 24 - 06:57:57
Page:  1 
The Godfather Sessions - Toby on City Management Started by: RobOakheart on Aug 26, '16 09:39

Music, or an excellent drink were the art-forms Rob generally preferred, but being here in Los Angeles where the movie industry happened, he was entertained and impressed by all that he saw tonight. The restaurant had been tipped to Rob by a contact he had met earlier, while discussing the details for a  significant rum delivery to the West-coast. Investors, directors and cast, the venue breathed Hollywood.

After Godfather Toby had entered the two men shook hands and seated down for what would be a fantastic meal, during which they talked about Los Angeles and the ever growing movie-industry, and of course the beauty of Marlene Dietrich, the german actress who was all the hype these days. When the meal was over and coffee was being served, Rob explained why he had invited Toby here today.

Rob:
"I'd like to talk with you about how the population of our society is spread across the country. First off congratulations on building Los Angeles like you did. With 9 crews spread across the 3 districts LA is the biggest city of our country. Can you briefly share how you've experienced the process of growing LA to it's current size?"

Toby:
"Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to put this together, and thank you for inviting me to speak with you today. I've been asked this question many times in the short while I've taken up the position of Chairman in the beautiful city of Los Angeles, so forgive me if I don't spend a great deal of time speaking on the specifics.

Creating something from nothing is never an easy task; it requires hard work and dedication. I could credit my success to savvy business deals or personal accomplishments but that wouldn't tell the full story. The most important aspect in building successful business ventures are capable individuals whom you can trust to lead and give you an honest assessment of your shortcomings. While many find it easy to heap the praise on a single individual they forget that without the support of those around you, it will prove impossible to build something lasting. I am truly honored and humbled to have had such a strong support group working with me to build Los Angeles into the city you see today."

Rob:
"So a team-effort in a way. That makes it obvious that with many you can achieve great things, given they work well together. Growing an operation, a city makes sense and it's something we see each city aim for. What do you think are the main reasons for growing big cities instead of expanding the reach of the mafia to vacant cities?"

Toby:
"Quite right. A team effort is essential for any up and coming businesses looking to grow. It is very important to find people who complement each others' abilities. Finding the right people to take a leadership role has always been a challenge when looking to expand your operation.

Even after selection someone for a leadership role, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find capable workers to fill the vacant positions we have. It's no surprise that organizations aren't looking to stretch themselves thin just to open shop in another city when there is still safer opportunities to be found within their own. It isn't hard to see that fewer and fewer are lining up for work and a meal. Jobs are plentiful in the major cities, and each district adds its own diversity."

Rob
"I agree how the big cities seem to offer more safe opportunities. Some would argue that it also creates a staleness in our world. It could be that spreading across the cities can add a dynamic to our society that might be inviting for more people to actively participate in this world. How do you see this?"

Toby:
"I do not believe that how the cities are populated create or limit the dynamics or diversity that people are looking for. Too often people put their reliance on outside factors to create excitement. "Staleness," as you describe it, sounds like nothing more than boredom and a bored worker is an inefficient worker. There are plenty of ways to become involved within your own organization. Instead of looking outside to create different dynamics; I look to my Managers and Supervisors to make regular days something special and entertaining.

Employers, look to see what you are lacking. Talk to your employees about their goals and what they want to achieve. Giveaways and other random incentives for employees will go a long way. Employees, be forward and direct. We aren't mind readers. Ask for help, learn from and talk to everyone around you."

Rob:
"You recommend that leaders and members alike should actively participate in this world. Their involvement can make the difference between boredom and an exciting career. In big cities the operation and chain of command is usually firmly in place however. Would spreading the population across the cities not create more demand for people to show what they've got and thus bring more opportunity for individuals to shine?"

Toby:
"To answer your question truthfully yes, expanding your businesses can open up new positions that need to be filled, but I believe that is an oversimplification of how opportunities can be found in our businesses. There are of course the highly coveted positions for everyone to see, which I believe are the same ones you are referring to, but there are countless roles that can be found behind the closed doors.

I've always been a CEO who promotes from within and trust me I've heard all the complaints before. Too often people sit around thinking that opportunity will come out to meet them or that someone will just drop it in their laps. If you're looking for more responsibilities try proving to your boss that you can be trusted and that you've earned those responsibilities. Data collection, information management, senior staff, and other administrative roles can readily be obtained in many businesses that are already in operation.

A helpful tip for new hires looking to make a name for themselves; Ask your supervisor(s) for more work. Seek out and attempt to create your own opportunities around you."

Rob:
"It's clear you don't seek the solution to stale lifestyles in populating the other cities, but you rather suggest that leaders and members alike push themselves to get more out of their lives regardless of what city they call home. You also shared about the good things and opportunities that big cities can offer. Could you also identify any downsides associated with running a big city?"

Toby:
"Of course. There are always downsides to everything in business, but looking at city-wide corporations the first thing that comes to mind is the amount of resources that are required to keep things running smoothly. In this case the resources I'm speaking about are man hours and capital.

As my I'm sure my esteemed colleagues would agree operating city-wide ventures require an immense amount of effort and work hours; both on the ground and through constant communication with satellite offices. As more and more businesses open in a city the role of the CEO increases in scope which ultimately increases the work load. Now as I touched on before the work load can be offset with the help of eager and willing employees looking to make a name for themselves.   

Capital on the other hand has some interesting interactions as a business continues to fill with business and offices. Obviously as more businesses open it becomes increasingly expensive to acquire the necessary permits to build new offices. The upside is that once those new offices are staffed you will see a substantial increase in production and profit. While this is a relatively small drawback for established companies it can be a monumental roadblock for small up and coming business ventures.

Beyond the need for resources, you should have a plan to help moderate conflicts. Personally I look to fill my HR department and manager positions with people well versed in conflict resolution. As with any large group of people working together on a daily basis you expect arguments and fights to occur. Internal conflicts are simply unavoidable in large corporations, but with proper managerial intervention these problems are generally minor as well. The true test of leadership is making sure employees are able to coexists peacefully."

Rob:
"Thank you for sharing your insights. We have talked about the chances and difficulties when managing a city. Most common is when the mafia works together in a city to escape law and grow their wealthy lifestyle. Sometimes though, when a city stands empty for a while, thrillseekers and opportunists are allowed to compete for control over a city. What's your view on these type of cities?"

Toby:
"As an industry leader, I don't have much time to fully examiner the workings of the criminal underworld, but I imagine it's run similar to many businesses. Cooperation is the key to a successful and profitable business. On to your question. Now, I've read transcripts and news clippings of these types of cities before.

These "free-for-all" cities, so to speak, seem to crop up once or twice a generation and always prompts a large following. These cities offer new and seasoned entrepreneurs a different and exciting way to make a name for themselves and have the opportunity to emerge as a successful business. I enjoy the idea and think that with proper coordination it has the potential to be very beneficial for everyone."

After having chatted some more, Rob thanked Godfather Toby for taking the time to share about his experience and ideas. He explained how this interview would be printed and distributed to speak-easy's frequented by people with an interest in politics and business-ventures across the country. After shaking hands with Toby once more, Rob watched him leave the restaurant, realizing one doesn't need to feature in a movie to be a star.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Godfather Sessions - Toby on City Management
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL