Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 03:39:19
Page:  1 
Entitled and useful? You be the Judge? Started by: Apathy on Aug 28, '16 04:43

Apathy wakes up and stumbles and waves looking at the crowd.

Oh yea HEY ALL!. Seems you all stumbled into my drunken chat while I was sleeping. So let me degress and explain as sometimes the powers that be do not and think that iss fine. I was drinking some whiskey, having a nice good ole time and it was late. WAY LATE. ANd pass o ut in this alley, as you all see.

Well I woke up and you all are staring at me like I'm a moron and ranting about  leaders what are never here.

Apathy chokes his head and laughs

Leaders not here. Like that ever happens. I mean, if someone  said in the not distant past over a THIRD of the LEADERS of the land werte BASICALLY useless cause of their other worldly duties in Italy or elsewhere I would have laughed. But after this "dream" I decided to poke around.

Apathy takes a long drink from his flask and lits a cig and looks out into the crowd.

How many of you think you Crewleader, District Head Godfather ect are doing well? I would assume a good amount. Until you examine further a bit. I mean in no distrespect, but honesty. When looking further, how did I , a mere drunk in this shitty city I call home find this out. Well the funny thing is, there is this weird time card sysytem outside each HQ that documents it. And its rather funny, OVER a THIRD of the lands Hands and CREWLEADERS and yes even the GODFATHERS are are a small small amount of hrs around these shores!

Apathy gasps shockingly

I know you all. Its absurd your time and money meanas so little but lets look further. Now we all know Italy or other places call, BUT A THIRD of the LEADERS! Like literally, are we worth that little from our leaders, as they pledge leadership and money to help them, when they can't even do it themselfs?

Apathy takes another swig.

So really? Is this the best we can do at this day and age? We get a Third of the powers that be to be use full? Seems that means a third are worthless and just a friend or living on a name. Thats is not counting interaction. I am sure that is down, but that is another topic. I would love to say there is a easy fix, but alas I am just a solider so I don't know. But what I do know is almost ever district and city has crew with LEADERS barely seeing these shores. If you think thats ok. FINE, Glad you set your standards so low, but saadly I do not. I expect people of this socicety with leaadership roles to do a few things: BE around, be a leader(non mute) and actually bring something to the table. Not a friend handshake and a trip to Italy!

Apathy takes a swing and lits a cig before he leave

Just my thought. Its up to you all, my generations are always around. Yours have not always been! Have a good day.

Apathy tips his hat and walks off

Report Post Tip

Buongiorno, Apathy, how is your head? Detroit seems to be keeping you in good standing to be able to afford such frivolities?

I did happen to catch your speech, though I had to have it translated by my sister, who is unsurprisingly fluent in slurred words. 

My response to your fairly placed concern would be quite simple, so I apologise for the concise nature of it. I find the time I put into my office hours are spent doing the most relevant tasks. What I mean to say is; what matters most is what you achieve during your time here, not how often you turn up to "press the buttons". You can be a regularly active regime head who's face you cannot avoid, however nothing productive is done.

This is all just suggestive, of course. Since you cannot experience what happens behind my own closed doors though, would it be fair to assume that your concerns are derived from your own experience in your employment?

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Like Mr. Gato says, usefullness isn't measured in time invested. Majority of the leaders had plenty of time to build a solid operation and things
just keep rolling without it needing too much attention. Based on that I disagree with your observation that most of the leaders are useless. Most leaders have proven to be pretty efficient in what they do.

It is interesting though to think about what could be achieved with more time and attention spent. If we are able to keep things steady with minimal effort, perhaps we'd be able to grow our businesses and improve our community with more efforts shown. Now growth of what we have is not just dependent on leadership, it's need the activity and enthusiasm of the community as a whole to make things a success.
It's fairly easy to point to the known names and say they're lacking in their efforts, while many people in the community don't show too much initiative either.

But that's perhaps a case of the pot calling the kettle black. First and foremost leadership should inspire enthusiasm and yes, we could use a bit more of that in this place.

Report Post Tip

Thank the high heavens I work at a Gentleman Club where all I do is deal with and mostly to drunks or else I'd be in the same boat as you Mr. Gato.

I do have a question for you bud, when has it ever been 'just a soldiers' job to question those above him? Personally I thought never, so that confuses me just as much as you calling your home city shitty.

To get down to brass tax, things change over the years, we're in a different era. Not every leader wants to spend his days in the trenches busting heads for chump change. Some leaders have found it a lot more lucrative to sit behind an office desks and balance different business opportunities while they micro manage their own operation(s). That is why they have loyal solders and capo regimes under them to handle the streets while they multitask business trips back home, the 'political' game, recruiting bodyguards, training said bodyguards, investing into their most loyal and trusted members/hitters, training their hitters, keeping an appearance in the street while also opening and visiting businesses across the country, and also again managing/micro-managing their own affairs.

Being an upper means you have a lot more on your plate. I know of the 'weird time card system' you speak of, but like the above gentlemen have said it's not about the time you put in, it's about what you do with that time. Would you prefer a leader that's on 70hrs a week but only robs liquor stores, runs drugs, busts criminals out of jails, and chats with their buddies while neglecting their member and all those other tasks I had listed before? Or would you prefer a leader clocking 20-40 hrs a week but is still able to be there to help you along your criminal career, to keep you and the rest of the family/district/city alive by maintaining relations with the other leaders and godfathers around the country, to be able to support you financially if you prove to be loyal and worth the investment, and all of those other duties that it seems 'just solders' are not aware of or just taking for granted.

Sit on that for awhile and also think to yourself, who is 'just a solder' to question a leader and their abilities. If they were lacking them they wouldn't be where they are right now or would have been shut down or wacked out by now.

Lastly I will leave you with this. We all come from Italy, we all have duties there to keep up with that must come first before are duties here in America. Some of us have to spend at the least 40hrs a week there while still getting 8 hrs of sleep each and every day 7 days a week while still finding time to come home to our families for meals and quality time..

Senka had been sitting near by when she caught a few choice words that made her eyes blaze with an irritation she had been feeling of late.

Thank you Apathy for bringing this up, regardless of your current condition. Hopefully that hangover won't be too hard on you.

I have often thought about the same thing. Those soldiers whom people think shouldn't question things, really should. I mean if those soldiers are putting in the work and you have people that cannot even exist among our world raising up what does that really teach the soldiers? That being away is more important then them? That those that turn away and do practically nothing are more important? No offense but I rather not waste my hard earned money or time on individuals that cannot be around for whatever reason.

We all get busy. Even the soldiers, so what makes those that are in the hierarchy so much better? Are they going to be of use should a war pop up and they cannot be around to help or to even ask for instruction from?

I cannot respect the people that in those spots that cannot be bothered with our community. It would not make sense to.

Leaders and hands can continue with the mentality that they are better than the average soldier but they are nothing without them. Would be quite an empty family should all those soldiers go elsewhere wouldn't it?

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $340,000 Tip

Hey Senka, thanks for bringing your thoughts here as well.

I agree with you that being a leader does not allow for them to slack, to be inefficient and to be unreliable. If they were, they'd be shitty leaders and I can imagine if their members would want to work for someone else. What's really brought up for debate here is that time-investment would be a way to measure someone's use in this world, which is ridiculous.

A leader isn't better by default than a soldier, but it makes sense that when a soldier accuses a leader they do so with respect and a reasonable explanation of things. Although I'm not offended by this speech, it isn't a fine example of doing that. I can understand how you got triggered by JeffWinger's words. Personally I think it is okay when a soldier, or whoever, questions someone else, even a leader here in public. Given that it's done in a proper manner. If it's disrespect, someone is probably breaking their family rules. If it's respectful, but brings possible shame to a leader I'm alright with that really. Sure someone might come and kill you for it, but bringing things in the open creates the need for leaders and others to do better, to be on their guard. 

If leaders don't want their following to be idiots and lazy, they shouldn't be idiots and lazy themselves. Surely we can point that out if it would be the case. We can learn from experiences, so let's talk about that and not ignore it. Apathy's way of doing that isn't my favorite kind and I guess everyone can quickly see that his arguments are quickly rendered invalid, but it doesn't mean his actual conclusion isn't true.

That said, with the proper ingredients we could have a talk about the time leaders invest in their business. We could debate how useful some leaders are. That could result in healthy and spicy discussions. The question is are we smart and capable enough to bring that debate to the streets in a respectful manner? Are we confident enough to address that topic as leaders? Do we dare to be better?

Report Post Tip

Normally she just stayed in the shadows and watched these debates, but this time something kept nagging at the back of her mind. So she cleared  her throat and spoke clearly trying to remember the proper words.

"Those of you pointing a finger , should recognize that when you point a  finger at  another human being there are three pointing back at  yourself." she paused getting a breath and continued. All humans should realize that it quality of time spent on anything that is key not the quantity of time."

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Stefania overheard the conversation that was going on in the streets regarding the activity of the leaders in this world. She listened as most seem disagree with the original speaker, who seemed a bit unsteady on his feet thanks to a little too much alcohol consumption. Stefania herself rather torn on the subject.

"The presence of hands and crew leaders in their headquarters is important. It creates motivation and a sense of family among leaders and their soldiers. However, I strongly disagree that some time system outside a headquarters can truly represent the amount of time a CL or godfather is putting into their crew or district of city. How much of the work they do is happening while they are away? In closed meetings that happen away from these shores, which an average solider may not be aware of?"

"Not to mention, those that know they cannot be around as often tend to leave people behind that can. While Godfather BobbyZ's timecard may not be up to your standards, if something were to happen in Pasadena that needs his attention I can easily reach him and he would be on the first flight back to our shores. He trusts Don Syn and me to keep things moving. I would say the same for Godather DoctorBoom and Don Oakheart or Godfather Toy and Don Telkin. Just because they aren't seen often, doesn't mean they aren't aware of everything that is happening."

Rob said "Do we dare to be better?"

That hits home with me because I know we as a community can be better. But we aren't. It's true. I've only seen the streets and our principles digress in my time here. Or maybe my families bloodline was born into something great, saw great things only to realize it's not all great everywhere you go. Some leaders can do a great job with minimal time in America, others could spend twice that time and be useless. To say everybody deserves to be where they are just because they aren't dead yet is bullshit. They will die, give it time. Dead or alive doesn't have shit to do with anything. I have high standards though, very high. I'll be honest and say it'll be hard to find a leader that can hold to all the standards I was taught and know. But I try to be understanding and know that everybody has their strengths and weaknesses. People have flaws and it'll never be perfect. But it wouldn't hurt to encourage things like, more time in America. Spent helping the younger or less knowledgable generations. Actively participating in the streets. As a leader or a hand you should keep a constant flow of communication with your members. I bet there are many hands out there that haven't taken the time in weeks to message members that work for them. Some may have never messaged them EVER. The soldiers is who the leaders depend on in war to keep them safe. To sacrifice themselves for the greater good. They need to be appreciated as well. A simple message saying "hey bud how have you been lately?" goes a long way. Something as simple as that can change a person's perception of you. They will things "Well that person's pretty cool, he/she actually cares." or if your a mute, they might peg you as a useless mute who doesn't do dick. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Not everyone seeks the respect of everyone as not everyone's respect is cherished in the same measures..

I don't see anyone here stating being away is more important than their members, but being away is healthy for ones mind and again like I stated some have lives to attend to back home. Nothing wrong with those that don't but to exclude those that do and judge them is no ones job but the gods and those who put them in the place they are in. If you are working for someone who 'doesn't exist' here what does that say about you? Either you are a casual gangster or joined up with the wrong family.

Turn away how? Like they are too caught up in their own affairs? Well if so and you are under someone who 'cant exist' yet are still alive then believe their affairs are what is keeping you alive, so if you can't appreciate that at the least then you are a text book ingrate..

Again; I don't see anyone stating they are better, though I guess the status might point that way since you listen and follow the word of the hierarchy and not the solder.. You're at least right on one thing Senka and that is that no CL is anything without their members, well except a CL still.. but that's why it's great we live in such a beautiful world filled with option between hard-core and casual crews. Don't want a leader only clocking 20-40 hrs no matter what they are doing for you? Great then seek employment from a more hard-core crew where the uppers are clocking 50-90 hrs and expect you to try do the same.

Report Post Tip

Elizabella had been standing among the shadows listening very carefully. She enjoyed the many views but decided it was time that she weighed in. Pushing herself off of the wall she began to speak.

"I think there are many good points to take into consideration when you really sit back to think about it. Perhaps though we are running around in circles because it is awfully vague. We can paint all the individuals that are too busy back home with the same brush but maybe we should venture in a bit further.

Example one: Dick. Dick is a very busy individual between this community and back home. Sometimes Dick needs to spend a little bit more time back home then here. While he is here he spends as much time with his family that he can. He combs through the letters that have piled up on his desk and is sure to get back to everyone, meanwhile letting his family know that he is around and available to speak to. While Dick is away he entrusts his family to his very capable hand that spends more time around the community then he has time to.

In this example, I could understand a little bit of an absence. This would be time well spent while he is around and he has entrusted his family who is more capable of being in this community just a little bit longer. To me this is responsible and can be very understanding of a situation.

Example Two: PitterPatter. PitterPatter is a leader who came up while being very far away. They were around just long enough to don the wonderful bold suit, be given a family but still cannot manage to find the time to be around. PitterPatter is not known for their communication in our community. Instead they rely on so much of back home to keep their place among the crowds. While PitterPatter is away they have two very absentee hands to watch their family. 

In this example, we cannot say that they are teaching. How can one possible teach what needs to be done if they are never in America? IF they are always back home and their hands are absent, this would seem rather irresponsible to me. 

Example Three: Mush. Mush is a hand in a well known family. They are generally around for their family, to help, to teach, and anything else in between. Mush has been called back home due to a sickness in their family.

In this example, we can all agree that an absence would be acceptable.

Example Four: Crazy Eyes. Crazy Eyes is a hand in a very active leaders family. Crazy Eyes is never around. In fact they have a Don in their family that has never met them or seen their face.

In this example, Crazy Eyes is probably not the best decision for a hand position. If they cannot perform their task and no one knows who they are, how can they command the respect if a war should break out? No soldier could take orders from someone who is unknown to them. It is illogical.

In the same respect that if hands are back home for a very long periods that perhaps they are too busy to be the role models that those that are new to the shores could learn from.

Often we talk about standards, and then when we look around there are so many that seem happy with the way things are. Is this wrong? Or is it something that just happens? In order to do better we need to take initiative and strive to be better. If you have an idea that you think may be beneficial to the community, do you speak to those that could implement it? Or do you wait and hope it comes around? It is the same with the state of leaders and hands, I like to think. If you honestly feel that they are wasting your time and you are stuck with someone who you wished was better, then you should consider your options.

Not everything will be fixed over night. Not these situations with absentee leaders and hands. Even the relying heavily on contact outside of this community specifically can be bad for business. Leaders are meant to inspire (at least to me). You may ask what they are meant to inspire but it varies from person to person. Some can teach so well. Those who are absent cannot teach anyone the ways of our community here in America.

All I ask is that you keep in mind there are different sets of situations where absence comes in. Some are okay for short periods. It's really the extremely long absences that should be concerning as they can be detrimental to the family it is happening in."

Elizabella realized she had gotten long in her speech. Longer than she had planned. Taking a step back she drifted back towards the wall and found herself comfortably leaning back so she could continue to listen on.

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Entitled and useful? You be the Judge?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL