Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 28 - 21:57:38
Page:  1 
Stepping Away Started by: ChristianGato on Sep 17, '16 14:45

In the coming weeks I will be completely stepping away from any OOC activities. I understand this is very "Look what I'm doing", but I understand the significance my character currently has in the game, so thought it best to give a little explanation.

We've all got different reasons as to why we're frequenting this place. For me, it was initially to satisfy the desire to get some 'extra content' after watching Goodfella's and The Godfather. I'd want to be a mobster, much like the intro Henry Hill gives. I'd be motivated, inspired and naive as to how much of the experience I'm looking for I'd get though.

Whenever I've appeared on these streets after a break, I'd assume a new character, or revive an older line, and give whoever my crew leader was a particularly in-depth role played worker, the type I'd like to be indulged with. It was great, I could flex both my abilities and attentiveness without any expectations or prejudice. I could also let the character die and remain a mystery, potentially never to be heard from again. 

After all, that is what happens when you die, isn't it.

Well, after a particularly long break I returned here about 2 years ago as Louis Gato, or LG for short. I was returning with no knowledge of who anyone was or how to play the game, I was actually looking for the one person I did remember, and that was Kendra. Well, she was obviously not here, so I joined the first guy that put some effort into the recruitment. Luckily for me, it was the man you know as Rob Oakheart today. I probably wouldn't still be here if it wasn't for him.

Since then I've always tried maintain a role play approach, however as time goes on, more and more mystery is sapped away from the person I'm trying to be and the person I am is revealed. When you get embroiled in the tools utilized to optimise our experience, instant messaging and google docs etc, it just turns it from an experience into an effort. 

I've had a few decent RP runs in this time, namely Big Charlie, a (literally) mute old man, who was 100% role play. I'd like to recapture some of that mystery and intrigue. Also, as we introduce changes to this world, a big intimidating character like this is going to become less and less necessary. We're looking for engaging and inspiring individuals to take the reigns, not be lorded over by old men. Sure, what Rob and I are looking to achieve will revert back to the old ways in time, but I'd like to be retired well before that.

Those are my reasons for being here, I bet they're different to most peoples, but if I wasn't getting that fulfillment, why both logging in at all.

So, over the next few weeks I'll be cutting ties to OOC interactions. Chat, IRC, Whatsapp, anything that isn't Mob Mail or Streets/Business district. Any OOC mails will be ignored, or I'll make some sort of pretentious response up for them. I've got no use for them anyway, I'm not about to launch into war or build a mechanically sound superpower family. I'm looking to leave this place with those who have passion and inspired motivation, not spreadsheet knowledge or a lot of IRC friends.

My character and the Gato name (Well my involvement in it) will be able to live out it's final days as I started them, way back with LG. 

Report Post Tip

ChristianGato is this just an excuse to not answer your mails some more? :p 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Of course. I was actually thinking of mentioning you a couple of times in there.

P.S. You don't need to tag me in my own thread =]

Well of course, I am the center of everyones universe so its only fair and right. 

Ps. Shhhh I haven't had my coffee yet. 

pps. ChristianGato :D

Absolutely love this. I was just having a conversation with a few people about how much role playing used to be a valuable part of this place. To see one of the people at the top take it this seriously is absolutely awesome. Cannot wait to see how everything plays out for you and your family but I guarantee you guys will have fun doing it.
Report Post Tip

Very rare to see this sort of commitment, I hope it works out well for you. I suck at role playing aspect of the game and mostly click so I respect people who get into the rp aspect.

Alright so, call me a bitch for this but I know you love me so its fine, 

but based on this does this mean you aren't going to be on IRC and such and communicating with your crew. 

So maybe its just how I play, and maybe its just me, but the fact that you're cutting out all major means of communication regarding the game can be a bit of a draw back. ChristianGato now lord knows you're the not the most easiest man to reach, as your inbox is a nightmare, but still. 

You take out crew chat and District chat. and home chat. And IRC, and you're left with in character mails - whch I admire your desire to have the game be in character only but how can you possibly trust anyone ever based on this? 
I mean say you doubted me, and my actions (lol shut up) and then I go incog and write up the best RP intro you'e ever seen. Which we both know Im pretty capable of doing. And I write more. And more. And more. And then all you know is me as a character, rather than the person behind it. 

I mean its a nice ideal, as much of your ideas are. But the history in this game. I can play nice, and hug people and help them out, but I mean whats to stop me from going completely batshit crazy and murdering them all? I mean, we all know I wont do that, but if you only operate on an "Unknown" basis whats to leave you from harboring the people who will do that, and then make everyone hate you?

Ive been drinking so if this doesnt make sense ,mail me ChristianGato but It'll slightly ooc so I dont know if you will :/ 

Report Post Tip

And then all you know is me as a character, rather than the person behind it

But thats exactly what he wants, Cooter.

Personally, I respect the decision. Over the years I've used various names and each name I use has its own desires and its own ambitions, I also use a different set of answers depending on the name to better match what level I feel that person should be, e.g. a good shooter, stealthy or great vision.

To see someone go so in depth to remove all OOC areas of contact is something I look forward to seeing. Your run as Godfather may be remembered for a few reasons, I hope they are good ones! 

Report Post Tip

Good. This gives me more reason to chase myself and you around and finish the RP project we started on with BlindTiger.

Aside from that, I respect your choice friend. I have always valued you for your out of the box thinking, your ability to do things differently. And with that how you challenge me to reflect on my own approach. Like what you do here, for everyone it's good to remember what they are here for and chase exactly that. If you came here for option A, don't settle for B and for sure not for Z.

It's like Gandhi said: "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Report Post Tip
I started playing this game about 6 years ago then came back today, as I was looking for a crew that time, I want to have a crew leader with the most amazing RP introduction and with that, I saw yours and immediately tell myself, hey I want to be in that crew. Took me a lot of mails before convincing I deserved to be on your crew. It has been a good run although I died from my previous character but I am happy to see you rise because you fcking deserved it.

Wanna know why I chose people with a good RP talent?, It's because they are the most dedicated to this game.

Love and respect. Mr. Gato.
Report Post Tip

This is so refreshing to hear....as an old-school player I have total respect for this choice....it used to be the case that unless your MM was in character especially to someone in a more senior role it would be ignored or perhaps sometimes worse...

Myself personally I see the chat options in the game as viable to creating this world of ours....I would chat to family in the HQ or with people in the District etc however all the rest I completely get.

It does take some effort to create a memorable character on here, to be noticed, to be heard and respected and those that can't or won't are still free to play the -click a petty - click a JB kind of experience. I sense a change in the community culture recently and I fully endorse it. Some of us may even have distant memories of a time like it before.

Role-playing takes effort too - imagination, creativity....these will be the things that will begin to separate people. I am saying this and also admitting that I find RP sometimes tricky, however I welcome a return to the core roots of this thing of ours....

Report Post Tip

I've had a similar returning to MR under the wings of the current RobOakheart & yourself a while back.
You were always kind of mysterious to me, very friendly yet distant at times.
I'm forever grateful for all you and a few others at the time thought me. 
I'm a little saddened by this news but it's so you! You'll always have a friend in me Mr. Gato. 

^)^

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Stepping Away
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL