Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 19:58:31
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
ADMIN QUICK-COMP: Philly Lyrics Started by: Squishy on Sep 28, '16 19:36

"back when we had sly bacon, whoops I mean cunningham" - a reference to Randall Cunningham, a pro-bowl QB for the Philadelphia Eagles, also is an interesting play on words, sly bacon = cunning ham 

"right after jaws, and right before the running man"  - best guess is a reference to the previous line, Randall Cunningham was drafted in 1985, between Jaw's release date(1975) and when the Running Man(1986) dance was originate/made popular

"so much wit, prolly get it from cheese steaks" - everyone knows Philly cheese steaks are the best, order it "wiz wit" for extra cheese

"i been out all night, I just wanna sleep late, young crowd, old city" - just explaining how the night life in Philadelphia is always active with inspiring youth, even though its a city with some of the most history throughout America

"tell me where the party at, met the girl on south st" - South St is home to one of the busiest areas of Philadelphia, lit up with stores, restaurants, tourist locations, and events 

"cruisin down city ave, headin to the boulevard" - City Ave is another one of the busiest areas in Philadelphia, even bigger than South St. Over 130 shops and restaurants have businesses set up in this area, along with 2 universities

"coulda grabbed the El, but they told me that it wouldn't spark" - a reference to the blue line train, commonly called the "El" by natives, and spark could be referring to the Spark program that has its roots and HQ in Philadelphia, but I believe its more likely a continuation of the previous line, could grabbed the El could mean he could have smoked a blunt(El/L=blunts), but it wouldn't spark, which is funny because there is a brand of dutches used for rolling blunts called "Phillies"

"i feel like im in line for a ride, when im at tony lukes" - this man clearly loves his Philly Cheese steaks, which Tony Lukes is famous for making

"we could lose all the trees, but we still got the roots" - regardless of how Philly looks or is perceived, it will always be at the very roots of America

"plus we got beans, and an eve that doesnt opt for fruit" - basically saying we got money and faithful women

"green blood in the tube, if we need it transfused" - citizens in Philadelphia bleed green, the cities color, just like in New York(the original beat for this song was used for a NY song) they bleed blue

"when the mets come thru, you're gonna hear our fans boo" - the Mets and Phillies have a long standing rivalry in baseball, just like the Eagles and Giants/Jets do in football

"this the city of brotherly love" - The literal translation of Philadelphia is brotherly-love, which is why it's commonly used as the city's nickname, from songs to movies

Report Post Tip

Ok, looks like we got pretty much all the bases covered, sweet job guys!

I just sent out some stuff to you, thank you all for your contributions!

Report Post Tip

Wooo, thanks Squishy. It was certainly interesting, I learned some new facts about Philly \o/

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: ADMIN QUICK-COMP: Philly Lyrics
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL