Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 28 - 19:13:00
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
Putting Down New Roots Started by: Sofia_Viacelli on Oct 26, '16 15:10

Sofia smiled at her question.

"Sicily is a wonderful place, but unforgiving.  It's ruled by men of questionable morals, and the rules change often.  Everyone who isn't a ruler is poor and just trying to eek by without starving.  But- it can be the most friendly and beautiful country you'll ever see.  And, to your question, yes- I grew up among grape vines, and had many a weeks of purple-stained feet from smashing grapes barefooted."

She chuckled at the memories.

"That happens during a particular wine festival, and it's terribly fun."

Reaching forward, she took a longer sip of her martini, then continued.

"I came to live in Catania when I was seven.  My mother died of influenza, and her sister took me in.  Her name was Regina, and she had inherited the winery and vineyards from her father.  Regina taught me everything about growing grapes and making wine- then sent me to college when I was 18 in New York.  After I got my business degree, I returned to Sicily to help Zia Regina with the business side of things.  As she got older, she gave more and more responsibility to me, and began spending more time in Sicily rather than traveling.  I expanded the client base in the US that Regina had established by 60% in two years.  Then, when Regina passed away, the business came to me." 

Sofia looked up from her glass, smiling a bit sheepishly.

"Well, I hadn't actually intended to bore you with my life story; but thank you for listening."

Report Post Tip

Kate winked.

"Everything's exciting compared to business stuff. I had no idea you guys actually did the grape stomping thing."

Indicating a pair of older women drinking wine at the next table, Kate mouthed "Did you step on that?" before returning her attention to her own drink.

"Sorry to hear about your aunt, though. It sounds like she was a big influence on you."

Report Post Tip

Sofia stifled her laugh, keeping it as quiet as possible.

"From the looks of the bottle, that wine was made in a bathtub."  

She touched the ring on her right hand, a gold ring with a ruby center and surrounded by small diamonds.

"Thank you, but Regina lived a wonderfully full life.  It had it's hardships, sure, but she was happy with what she did with her time.  She had a husband who was her world- and she his; and two sons.  They were all taken from her by "the underground," but all in all she had no regrets.  That's the kind of life worth living, no?"

To that, she lifted her glass for an actual toast. 

Report Post Tip

Kate raised her own glass to match Sofia's.

"I'll drink to that."

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Putting Down New Roots
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL