Get Timers Now!
X

May 12 - 12:37:34
Page:  1 
So, you want to be a leader Started by: Tyrion on Apr 29, '10 10:26

Why not? It's the most natural thing in the world. Any kid getting into this life of ours must wish or at least wonder about becoming a leader. Its an understandable dream and ambition for many aspiring young mobsters. But, as some religious folks are prone to saying 'Faith without works is dead'.

Taking out a silver hip flask, he takes a nip of the fine French brandy and lights a smoke.

See, you can't just sit on your ass and expect greatness to be thrust upon you. Who's going to notice you sat in the corner of your family's HQ? Sure you may be Omerta to the max and as obedient and loyal as any guide dog but that's not enough. What is it that's going to make leaders raise and eyebrow and say "Who's this character? It would be interesting to see what they'd do with a crew of their own"?

Taking a hit off his smoke he notices Colin skulking past and grabs him by the collar. Turning him to face the gathering so all can see his miss-matched suit and shoes, his drool-pool stain on his shirt and his generally gormless expression.

Ok for a kick off, this isn't the way to go. Its generally a good idea to be presentable and look like you have some self respect. If you want to rock a look like this and go bold, you better have charisma in bucket-loads. Something our dear New York charity case sadly lacks. Full marks to Gwarble though, for his sterling work with the special needs community.

Pointing to a nearby table, lolcat can clearly be seen enjoying a saucer of cream and throwing suspicious glances at passers by.

Secondly, how you speak to people is critical. Whether that be in private mail or in public speech, the way you speak and what you choose to say are going to be the principal factors for senior members forming an opinion about you. That cat is the anomaly to the otherwise unyielding rule. Being that he was the property of a widely respected and loved Godmother, his crippled gibberish is accepted by the community, the same way any concerned adult would tolerate the incoherent ramblings of a traumatised child. Besides, he seems to have a highly articulate narrator in his service who adds weight and explanation to his otherwise cryptic musings. So, if you find yourself without a very clever friend or massive reputation to surf on, you'd better pay attention.

Sending mails to people like: "I R iz a loyal and will kill any wot dis you." Is never going to be considered especially impressive. You may well be loyal as the day is long and willing to do anything for your leader but if they don't know you, they can only judge you on your words. It is vital that you take the time and effort to speak clearly and use proper grammar as best you can. Mistakes in speech will always be overlooked if it is clear the effort was there.

Scanning the crowd he notices Chris_Vaughn and beckons him over. The gathering parts like the red sea as Chris' sheer dynamism and electricity forces them from his path. Tyrion smiled at his friend and turned back to the crowd.

Charisma! If you are going to lead you have to exude the kind of aura that makes people want to follow you. It's not essential to be quite as spectacular as Chris here. Indeed, walking the fine line between supreme self assurance and megalomania that he does, would pose a challenge for the best of us. However some level of self confidence goes a long way. Just ask yourself, would you want to follow someone who seemed insecure and lacked confidence? I didn't think so.

Street speaking is an art. Social commentary and dialog takes thought and consideration. These are important skills to develop if you want to show the world around you that you are up to the task and capable in thought as well as action. There are many people I could use as examples of articulate and considered voices but the list would be long and I'd feel bad if I overlooked anyone. Fact is, the ones who have strong public voices stand clearly for themselves without my having to point them out.

A good place to start is to follow a simple mental process. If you feel you have something to say, say it in your head first. Then look back over what you thought to say as if it was written by someone else. If you can read it without cringing or thinking "Someone should shoot that dick" then you may be halfway to making a valid contribution. The point is think! Think about what you are going to say before you say it. This one simple exercise can make anyone seem far more commanding and thoughtful than the same person making reactionary statements and speaking without thinking.

Finishing his smoke he looks around for a moment before closing.

We live in a world of secrets, unwritten rules and underground laws. With such secrecy surrounding our society, all we have to measure each other by is our words. What you say and how you say it are of paramount importance. People will whine that mobsters expressing unfavourable opinions get shot for voicing their views on the street but I disagree. If you really look at history you can clearly see that its entirely possible to say extremely sensitive and controversial things provided the statement is thought out and carefully worded.

Don't be afraid. There is nothing to be afraid of. I know quite a number of our leaders and Godfathers personally and I know for a fact they will never order someone dead for expressing a differing opinion. Many have been ordered dead for pointless abuse, reactionary slander and ill informed accusation but outside of the most outstanding cretins, our leaders tend to take great interest in the community and are always interested in a new and considered voice. You may not see them, but they are always watching.

Yes, even Iota.

I've given some basic pointers here. Nothing more. I'm sure there are leaders and other members of the community with opinions and constructive suggestions on the matter so I'll take my leave and sit down for a bit.

Taking a seat next to lolcat at the outdoor café table, he orders a coffee. Adding a nip of the brandy to the coffee and a splash in lolcat's saucer, he sits back to enjoy the fresh summer air and listen to other opinions.

Report Post Tip

Kilroy listens to Tyrion's well thought out and eloquent speech without making a facial expression for fear of sparking a debate that runs totally off the subject of this fine speech. After Tyrion finishes Kilroy takes a seat with Tyrion and lolcat, continuing to maintain a stoic face.

Report Post Tip

Diablos listens to Tyrion and nods..

This is one of the best pointers I have personally read. I think many people can learn from this. I know I am not in the most best position to say this being a little silent myself but I have been told my basics on when and how to talk and I have asked a great man many questions and he has given me the wisdom that I required and I hope that this will bring some more of those Silent people to our streets.

Just like Tyrion said.. 'Don't be afraid. There is nothing to be afraid of.' I have learnt this myself and I hope many others do too.

Diablos smiles happily and wonders off

Report Post Tip

CJ ties a vein off and injects a large dose of heroin.  (I don't mess around with cigars - that stuff will kill you).

Greetings Tyrion.  I believe that everyone has room for improvement.  I personally have a tendency to be extremely blunt.  I'm not a silver-tongued orator and I sure as shit don't like beating around the bush when something obvious needs to be said.  However, I've recognized that this not exactly a good way to go about things - especially when I don't have the power capitol to back it up.  I've also found that I (along with many others) am often looking for controversy.  Things can get so peaceful around here at times that it's a relief to play devil's advocate or piss all over someone's cheerios, or pick a fight.  I guess I'm finally learning that it's OK to just relax a bit, shut my mouth, and learn from some of the older mobsters who have been around safely navigating these waters for some time now.  There are also those with the opposite problem.  They are the folk you see eternally perched on the fence - afraid to make a splash or even a ripple. 

We live in a world of secrets, unwritten rules and underground laws. With such secrecy surrounding our society, all we have to measure each other by is our words. What you say and how you say it are of paramount importance. People will whine that mobsters expressing unfavourable opinions get shot for voicing their views on the street but I disagree. If you really look at history you can clearly see that its entirely possible to say extremely sensitive and controversial things provided the statement is thought out and carefully worded.

This is particularly insightful.  There are two ways to improve as a communicator around here.  Either jump in head first and hope you don't hit rock bottom, or test the waters a bit and learn what is safe and what is just outrightly stupid.  To "Say it in my head first" has been particularly helpful to me.  I've found that it is incredibly hard to communicate things properly in mail and written correspondence.  We've actually created an artificial second language of smiley and sad faces that we use to cover up our inability to convey tone as writers.  Remember - writing is forever.  Before you seal that envelope ask yourself "How is this going to be taken by my reader?"  What will be the repercussions of this letter?

Chris unstraps his tie - off and nods at Tyrion before quietly making his way down the street.

Report Post Tip

Taking his daily walk through the streets keeping his ear to the ground as he usually does, Reggie notices a familiar face and makes his way over to Tyrion who is in the process of making an important speech...

Lighting up a cigarette Reggie stands and listens to what he has to say, he then makes his through the large crowd that had gathered and approaches Tyrion.

"A very interesting speech my friend i would just like to add a little something if i may", Reggie clears his throat and proceeds to speak in a louder tone so as everyone can hear him.

"For those who are new to speaking in the streets and feel a bit daunted at the prospect for whatever reasons then why not start either in your family HQ or in the business district, get to know a few people and get some dialog going you'll find it both educational and enjoyable, i for one have not been a big street speaker as being new to these shores i have spent my time reading and learning but from time to time i hear something in the streets that draws my attention and i feel the need to voice my opinion".

Reggie turns to Tyrion and smiles "Thank you and good day sir" he then makes his way back through the crowd and disappears.

Report Post Tip

Feeling confident after hearing Tyrion's speech Champ speaks up saying hello, then goes back into hiding.

Report Post Tip

Singer applauds those who spoke before him. Specifically those he knew like ReggieK and Tyrion.

I think this might be of use. A famous Man once said that he who wants his own providence is not worthy of it.Rather the man who proves himself worthy to the state in which he lives does infact deserve his own providence. Nicclo Machiavelli. 

Singer sips his water and looks over

It goes along perfectly with what you all say and i agree wholeheartedly on machiavelli. The Desire to be a leader, TO run your own family is something i think that is in all of us to some degree. The Ability to do that though is proven first within your own family, IF you arent taking time out of your day to speak with others and try to help out the lower members of the family then i dont believe you should be considered personally. So many things go into being a leader. I am not a leader in This life, None of my ancestors have ever been But what i am saying is that It starts now not tomorrow to be the man you should be.

Report Post Tip

You know I read this article long time ago in the newspaper one day. It was one of those psychologists that teach normal people to be leaders. Now to be a leader on a textbased roleplaying game online thats a different story. And I'm telling every single damn person in here YOUR ALL LEADERS ! it doesn't take a skill to be one..hell it's in you. It's not Street Cred talks that makes you a leader in here, It's just plain ole get up and talk to the world my friends. Go to any Italian Pizzeria and Tell em who you are ! and have some extra cheese and meat on that ! They will respect yah even more, Cause you spoke up !

Man some say it's a ART to speak on the streets. Hell I RACE on the Streets I'm Ricky Bobby damn it ! I'm gonna go to every single mafioso on the streets with my underwear on and tell em....You're pretty cool, I like you. Thats just 100% pure confidence and slightly 99% slightly off on my kind with my underwear...

Remember kids..get in that car slam the pedal down...you'll go far !

Report Post Tip

Captivated by the subject of Tyrion's speech, Lolita has been listening attentively to this discussion. She then walks forward and begins to talk

First of all, I'd like to say I personally appreciate you bringing this topic to the streets, Tyrion. Of course it is every thug's dream to one day be the Godfather of a city and all of your suggestions are very helpful. I'd just like to add something to this discussion. Now, only being a second generation here, I am very aware that I have still much to learn. That been said, I think that along with charisma, confidence, and intelligence, being a leader is a family business. What I mean by this is that it usually takes many generations of a bloodline to achieve a leadership position.

Personally, I kow that I am not only working to make a name for myself in this world but also paving the way for my children. Now, by this I don't mean that I expect my children be given a gang of bodyguards and a ton of cash, but I do think that my life in this thing of ours will serve as an example for them to follow and carry our bloodline farther up the ladders of cosa nostra.

Lolita smiles at her listeners and heads over to the shoe store

Report Post Tip

As always my friend, your ability in the streets is a welcome sight. The topic in question is one my bloodline has had some first hand experience in, as my father had experience in leading various sized groups of mobsters during his time.

I'll start with some observations of mine from the start of your speech.

See, you can't just sit on your ass and expect greatness to be thrust upon you. Who's going to notice you sat in the corner of your family's HQ? Sure you may be Omerta to the max and as obedient and loyal as any guide dog but that's not enough. What is it that's going to make leaders raise and eyebrow and say "Who's this character? It would be interesting to see what they'd do with a crew of their own"?

I agree with you. To even be considered by the current leadership for a shot at auth, the type of effort that advances the family as a whole should be practiced. However, and this is something that some never get, you can't be working so hard in the respect I just mentioned solely to show yourself as capable for auth. My father always found those willing to work hard, even if they never get a chance at anything more, prove to be the must dependable of leaders in a world where that can be such a elusive trait.

However, even after auth the work doesn't stop there. Actually, the work required to run a great crew is greater than some who've never had the chance realize.

Secondly, how you speak to people is critical. Whether that be in private mail or in public speech, the way you speak and what you choose to say are going to be the principal factors for senior members forming an opinion about you

This is important for anyone who attempts to use their voice in the streets but even more so for crew leaders. At some point during a leader's tenure, there will come a point when he or she will have to speak in the streets. Whether it regards an incident that involves them or a new idea that is being pushed, this leader will need to be able to both make the point well and silence any doubts/soothe any hostile feelings. It is arguably the hardest aspect of leadership and if anyone was to look over old transcripts of speeches past, examples of failings and successes abound.

Charisma! If you are going to lead you have to exude the kind of aura that makes people want to follow you. It's not essential to be quite as spectacular as Chris here. Indeed, walking the fine line between supreme self assurance and megalomania that he does, would pose a challenge for the best of us. However some level of self confidence goes a long way. Just ask yourself, would you want to follow someone who seemed insecure and lacked confidence? I didn't think so.

This goes along with speaking. A leader leads. Sets an example for others to follow by being all that he or she can be, in every area of note in this thing of ours. Otherwise, they open themselves up to coups by dissatisfied elements of his or her family or even from outside the family.

That is about as detailed as I'm willing to go. I must thank you for Don Tyrion for setting the stage and delivering another fantastic insight into our world.

Robert tips his hat and shambles off to some unknown bit of mischief, after giving Ricky_Bobby a puzzled look.

Report Post Tip

Alfonce watches Ricky_Bobby hop in his car and speed away after telling him that there was a pound of cocaine strapped to his car and the FBN were on the way.

He then congradulated Tyrion on his genuinely heart felt speech. "In a very unspoken world, it is only ironic that we need speakers and speeches to voice truth's. It is obvious to me Tyrion that you have spoken many truth's here today and I applaud you for your time and concern."

After a firm handshake, Alfonce witnessed a Durden eavesdropping in the shadow's and he quickly disappeared to find him. 

Report Post Tip

When the crowd dies down, London walks up to Tyrion and puts a hand on his shoulder.

Thank you Brother for your eye opening lesson in this life of ours.  Your words sunk deep, and will leave a lasting impression for many, including myself.  I am still learning the ropes and testing the waters per say, but watching the "celebrities" take to the streets and help guide our futures is very encouraging and gives me new level to stride for.  Sorry to take up your precious time, but I wanted to express my gratitude and assure you that your words do leave a lasting impression to these young ears such as mine.

London gives a pat on Tyrion's shoulder, nods, and walks off.

Report Post Tip

CJ you make a good point. Its natural to be drawn toward controversial topics and discussions. The speeches and debates in our streets provide a great deal of our collective entertainment as well as our information. As such the more scandalous topics will always grab the attention faster. As you said, in the uncertainty that comes with broaching public speaking, its far wiser to start slowly and grow in confidence from there. If a new face were to appear in our streets and say even half of what Gwarble sends to print every week, well, I doubt they'd last very long. This relates to collective awareness.

I know if I see a new face making a few comments here and there I will always read them with interest to try and gauge the new person I am seeing. After some time I get used to that person speaking and have a feeling for their opinions etc. I have a general "This one seems fine. Speaks clearly, makes good sense. Ok by me" kind of feeling. Once that foundation is established I am far more likely to entertain more unorthodox points of view they may present.

Its not uncommon for a new arrival to come to our streets and see some of the things established mobsters are willing to speak about and be amazed at what they get away with. They can listen and think "they can say it why can't I?". What the new arrival can not see is the time (sometimes generations) and effort these mobsters have invested in building a reputation and public confidence in their opinion or entertainment value. Its a process. It takes time to develop. As with anything new, nothing is so reliable as common sense and the capacity to think before you speak. Your point was a very good one.

Pulling Champ out from where he was hiding, Tyrion sits him on a chair and winks as he moves over toward Robert.

Robert You make strong points as ever. You also touched on something many inexperienced mobsters don't realise. Yes its all very well having the dream, the aspiration and even the drive to succeed at this thing. It is one thing to see that dream realised and finally don that bold suit, its quite another thing to keep it! Many new leaders have literally no comprehension of the sheer workload involved in establishing and sustaining a successful family. Its no exaggeration so say it takes a monumental level of commitment. I have seen mobsters get their first opportunity, go bold and think "I've made it!" when really all they have done is started another chapter in their journey and increased their time demands and workload ten fold. If you are going to be a successful leader, you need to work hard for it. After you get the suit!

Report Post Tip

Chris Vaughn steps out and smiles at the fawning crowds surrounding Tyrion. Many mobsters clamber over one another to be heard speaking and supporting one of New Yorks most influential Dons. Chris smiles to himself as he realises that this public display plays dirrectly into his hands.

Finally, The Rock, HAS returned... to the streets. Try-On, The Rock see's you out here, running your mouth as is your place to do. The Rock hears what you have to say and the Rock agrees. You see the ROck knows that he's not the only one who likes to talk trash. The Rock see's Gwarbles cute little playroom paper, The Rock sees mobsters try and curry public favour and ruling class noteriety. The Rock hears what you have to say day after day... week after week... year after year. The Rock knows first hand what its like to recieve the adoration of the Millions... and Millions of the Rock's fans. Every time the Rock opens his mouth the Rock gets fan mail. "Great Speach Rock. Nice Putdown Rock. I couldn't have said it better myself Rock." Well of course the Rock know's you couldn't have done it better yourself Jabroni, that's why the Rock is out hear saying it and laying the smackdown on each and every Roody Poo Candy ass he has the misfortune to run into. Not only does the Rock see and hear all of that, but he also sees what you haven't mentioned. Ass Kissing!

Chris takes a deap breath and cocks the People's eyebrow before continuing. His hand made silk shirt open just far enough to show off his muscular chest and entice the Ladies in the crowd.

The fact of the matter is this. As much as we might all say we hate a kiss-Ass, its the only way you will make it too the top. However, like picking pockets, pimping skanks or laying the smacketh down, kissing ass is a skill. You see jabroni, you can't just run up to the first leader you see, bend him over, shine him up real good, and stick your tongue straight up his candy ass. Oh no! before you tickle his prostate that Crew Leader will see you for exactly what you are. And thats the biggest roody-poo, bug eyed, milk-drinkin', suck ass, kiss ass, one hundred percent grade A candyass The Rock has ever seen! There is an art to kissing ass. And the Rock guaren-damn-tees that if you kiss ass in the right way. If you Kiss ass in such a way that you don't look like you are kissing ass, then you will go far. Make no mistake though. As much as nobody likes a kiss ass, nobody likes a drama queen either. Don't expect to be Godfather of New Brunswick, Ogdenville or North Haverbrook if all you do is lap the rusty sherriffs badge and run your mouth all day in the streets. "Yay I got made. BooHoo my Multi User Craspfest failed and I ended up in jaul for 15 minutes. Wanna come to my Roody-Poo business venture in Lametown? Some big fat hermaphrodite I never heard off just got authed by that jabroni Godfather and now I wanna run my mouth when he's introduced and offer him support before he takes too much rope and hangs himself after 4 weeks as a CL." There is such a thing as trying to hard to impress Jabroni, and its harder to watch someone try to hard than it is to watch them pleasure themselves with a cheesegrater.

If you SMELLLLLL-Ah, What the Rock, is, Cookin'!

Report Post Tip

Jussive flicks out his now dwindling cigarette, smiles with amusement, and walks away with a barely noticeable nodding of his head

Report Post Tip

Carollo steps from the shadows puffing on a blunt he picked from MarelyTheGreat, the aroma waifs through the crowd, bringing some smiles and some frowns. He exhales as he speaks.

Mr. Vaughn hits upon a good point. You can always spot the trying to hard guy. He speaks with nothing to say. More like a parrot really, repeating the same lines over and over trying to reach some magic number. My advice is to shut the hell up until you actually have something interesting to add. Or if you must join in, try and DO something instead of just blurting out sentence fragments.

Sylvestro steps back into the crowd as he spots Marley searching his pockets for a blunt that insn't there.

Report Post Tip

Charlotte approaches Tyrion after his street speech to clasp his hand.  His words were graceful, insightful, and meaningful. She fans herself and begins to speak.

Now sugah, it's mah first time here on these streets but I have met many a story teller and street speaker.  I will say that I enjoyed what you have to say immensely.  Not everyone is a story teller, able to weave a fancy design from a few simple words, but I do appreciate those who try.  To me, hearing them is as excitin as reading my favorite book!  Then there are those who come out and speak their minds of this thing of ours.  The best ones are those who bring up valid points and counter points without being disrespectful.  It never does well to go about name callin and yellin when all you have to do is THINK about what you're gonna say before you do it.  If it isn't something that you'd say to your mama, then it sure as shootin isn't appropriate to say it to anybody else.  There's no need to go about swearin and hollerin when a few well chosen and diplomatic words not only argue your case, but are far less likely to get a gun shoved down your throat for disrespect.

She fans herself again with her lace fan and smiles demurely before walking off to find a place that sells mint juleps.

Report Post Tip

I considered making my own speech about something similar, but Tyrion has already made most of my points.   I do have something to add however.

I'll start off with a story.  This story involves a very young thug trying to make it big.  This thug was doing all of the right things,  working hard at earning and ranking, making contacts within his own family.   And here lies his demise. 

See, while interacting with his family in the coffeeshops, this young thug could not be bothered to use proper English or conduct himself in a manner that was more becoming of him.  He slurred his words, shortened them up, and sometimes didn't make sense!  He was asked by the RHM of his family to please be more mindful of his conduct.  The thugs response should be obvious right?  Well not for this little guy.  This little guy's answer was that he was "too lazy to be bothered" with conducting himself in a proper way.  This action promptly got him booted from the family room.  You'd think he'd learn and go work his ass off to get back in right?  Not our little friend.  He proceeds to the public coffee shops and proceeds to call his RHM names.  This action got him killed. 

Now granted, this little thug did not know that the man kicking him around was the RHM.  We all tend to use different disguises while perusing the coffeeshops, no need for the cops to know ALL of our business.  This little thug thought the man giving him a hard time was just another little thug.  And this brings me to my point....

If you want to be a leader, you must MUST MUST be aware of your conduct at all times.  If you want to be a leader, you must learn to follow first.  You must learn to be vigilant and mindful of who's who and who they hang about with.  I have been helping new thugs through this thing of ours for many years and that is always my number one lesson.   Pay attention people.  Lack thereof, only leads down the road of death time and time and time again.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: So, you want to be a leader
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL