Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 27 - 05:19:51
Page:  1 
Street RPs as Novels Started by: Prae on Feb 01, '17 22:44

This is a question I've been puzzling over for a while now, and I think its time I brought it into the public eye. The way the street works now, posts must be 100% in character for the 1920s-1930s era. Posts that do not meet that standard are moved to OOC or are deleted. People use this to write their stories, usually about their own characters. My question is, what if these stories are published in a novel-type format? Something along the lines of:

You saw the book sitting on one of the shelves in the bookstore, and the cover piqued your interest. The author wasn't one you were familiar with, but the image caught your eye. With a hard day's work done, you've come home, and the book is sitting unopened on the end table by your couch. You open to the first page...

And the story carried on in...let's say a science fiction story. Would that still count as in-character?

Report Post Tip

I would say that is in character.

However, it doesn't lend itself for easy interaction. If I'm at home reading a book, how can I reply to anything contained within the thread?

Report Post Tip

I don't think it would be manageable, by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe, perhaps, presented as a book/reading group or something, with the author being present to discuss the contents of the story?

Report Post Tip
I say I like it Prae, and can attest that it works and is in character.

Visit Pulp Fiction Comics in LV. Not a business plug here, cause its use died with my last character, or more so the one before, but its exactly what you're saying mate.

Myself and another wrote stories and presented them in a format for others to read as a comic. You could have a street guy selling books and create the environment of NPC's standing around reading them on that corner, enthralled in the content and discussing what they are reading. If we can have mafia members discussing mafia related stuff openly on the streets, this is legit imo. Off cuff, sure, yet if you write it right you can create a makeshift bookgroup right in the open.

This in my view would all be in character, and a very creative way to present stories.

This era actually had a great little comic boom. Lots of cool detective type comics came out and some big characters were born.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age_of_Comic_Books

If you structure it intelligently and in a very in character and era related way, you can get it done :) Maybe even a comic stand, or a newspaper stand selling comics, newspapers and books alike on the streets.

Nice idea, execute it right for the public domain (streets environment) and you can make it work, no problem.
Report Post Tip

The news stand thing is an interesting idea. Would provide a way to talk about it, as well. People reading the same comic at the stand would undoubtedly talk about it, wouldn't they?

Report Post Tip
Yeah, I believe so. And if you were the vendor at the stand, or played the NPC vendor, then they could at least give you their opinions. Plus, if a poster role plays lingering whilst reading, I dont see why more than one couldnt roleplay having a conversation about what they are reading.

Whether they would or wouldnt talk would be up to them, of course, and how they wanted to approach adding to the role play.

As a vendor though, you could be a nosey and overly chatty type. We all should know someone who tends to talk during movies, and just fuckn talks like a machine gun, regardless of the situation (if not personally, maybe in passing or in a movie etc.).

If thats the vendor, then they could be prompting their readers for conversation on what they are reading ;) That would actually be a fun NPC to create and role play imo. Just that oblivious talker and social buttefly that means well but just needs to be talking, always, even to inanimate objects lol
Report Post Tip

I'll have to give this some thought. I would like to hear from an admin though, just for like...an 'official' ruling on the matter.

Report Post Tip
Send a prompt to helpdesk then mate, in case they dont see this, as they can be quite busy. Let me know if you're not going through with it though, as I'll roll with a version of the idea myself :)
Report Post Tip

I did message HD, I'll copy/paste the reply one way or the other.

Report Post Tip

To: Prae
Sent: Feb 02, '17 08:04
Subject:

Sent as HelpDesk (Warrior) by Warrior.

Providing the content is 1920'/30's era or before then I believe that should be fine.

The "fiction" would need to be in a block quote though as its not part of the role play.

To: HelpDesk
Sent: Feb 02, '17 02:11
Subject:

I published a thread on this in OOC, but I thought it might be a good idea to get an admin's opinion on this. Threads posted in the 'street' have to be 100% absolutely in character. I understand that. But what if the story is presented as a piece of fiction? A science fiction 'novel' for example, that had an in-character introduction to show what it is. If whoever replies wouldn't mind, I'd also like to post the reply(ies) in the post as well.

Report Post Tip
Yep, precisely how Pulp Fiction Comics is done :) You block quote it and present it as if the block quote is the page/pages of the book itself, and of course the text within the blockquote is the actual writing of the book.

I was actually going to do this and post some fiction fantasy based comics in the streets a little back, yet your idea to then allow others to reply in character and speak about it is genius. The streets newspaper vendor can allow that option.

Very cool :)

I've still had the intent to put some comics on the streets, so I'll do that at some point (next character most likely), but feel free to run with whatever I've suggested.

Looking forward to what you come up with :)
Report Post Tip

I would definitely count that as in character. It seems like you are doing an action so it, to me, seems to be classified as an RP and would belong in those streets. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Street RPs as Novels
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL