Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 00:17:59
Help
0 Watchers
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
GAME CHANGE: Leaving a family. Started by: Squishy on May 05, '10 18:02

I think part of what you're touching on Squishy works both ways.

In my crew, I have built in earnings requirements that are mandatory. Now, these aren't particularly difficult to hit, but I know it puts some people off to see the requirement in black and white. I could understand if people, especially new people, became put off by that and want out. But how many people actually go to their Capo, the Consigliere, the RHM or the Boss with the legitimate reason they are unhappy before taking action? From a personal perspective, that has never happened.

I've had people claim to be quitting, only to turn up in another crew 5 minutes later and I've had people just decide to suicide to get out. Perhaps this is due to bad grounding in the past which has led to a belief that expressing concern on a player level to the upper structure is a bad thing, I'm not entirely sure, but this is the scenario at the moment. A lot of the time it isn't about respect or disrespect as a character, it is about enjoying the game and not enjoying the game as a player, which should be the top priority of every user.

I'm a strong advocate for having as little as possible set in stone and that we should have no blanket responses, or in this case hard coded ones, that determine actions automatically. With this in mind, I would suggest to anyone who is reading this if you encounter a situation where you are grossly unhappy address a mail to whoever your structure dictates you're to communicate with, Capo, Consigliere, RHM or leader. I would be highly surprised if you started it with "OOC:" if they took much action against you.

We have leaders at the moment who are largely open to compromise. With all that being said, I have no sympathy for anyone who simply chooses to walk away without a word to their bosses, that is disrespectful regardless of the reason. This is a RPG, use your head and most situations can be resolved without it costing you your life.

~G~warble.

Report Post Tip

When I was a crew leader on previous account I let any member wiseguy and below leave my family to another family as long as that other family provided me some compensation for losing my member.

Also Squishy, "In all of your time playing, how many families have shown you their crew rules before you got your invite?  Most likely, 0. ".....my crew as Pooh Bear did that, had no rules to sign just showed people who wanted in what were my rules, if they accept the invite then they are accepting the rules. But I wouldn't kill a wise guy or less if they wanted out for a fair reason. But no matter what rank my member has, if another crew leader is encouraging that member of mine to leave and join them then that's a major problem. I was always fair and understanding I believe, and just wish some people would have talked to me before they decided to buy out or suicide. Maybe we would have solved it that we were both happy. So other people out their not enjoying where they are maybe a talk with your crew leader would fix things, just stay respectful.

Report Post Tip

"I was always fair and understanding I believe, and just wish some people would have talked to me before they decided to buy out or suicide. Maybe we would have solved it that we were both happy. So other people out their not enjoying where they are maybe a talk with your crew leader would fix things, just stay respectful."

And thats great in theory, however, people learn by past experiences, and by rumor mill.  For the most part, everyone hears/heard/knows that if you ask to leave a crew, you get shot.  I am sure that does not apply to everyone, but it applies to enough people that people are scared to ask.  Every action, no matter how long ago, carries weight today.  Think of how many hundreds of users have been killed for wanting to leave their crew, and now you understand why I am really against holding members hostage :)  I would love it if there was a clear divide between mademan and unders. But with our current mindsets, and the continuous killing of those that ask to leave, this would never happen.

Report Post Tip

The way things are can always be changed by those in power or by those you will come to power in future. I guess now is a time when no one wants to let go of any members. Though you know where I stand on this, there is indeed a great difference between those wisguy and compared to made man and up. I guess many crew leaders don't like it known that people want to leave their crews and are worried about their image so they just kill anyone who asks. Though I am positive this isn't the case with every crew leader.

Report Post Tip

I like this change for it gives people free will. As in real life... much more realistic that way. If they leave then they should know the concequences. That said, the best way to leave is to respectfuly ask his leader. Most leaders are understanding when things are done the right way. The leaders can always say in rules that if people leave they are more likely to get killed. That way, people are advised. If the leader wants money, he can always require it in exchange for their lives. This gives the CL's free will also... as the argument of why set a drop off fee if the CL does not like it. He can now do what he wants with it. Good call!

Report Post Tip

Personally, I believe that anyone Wise Guy or below shouldn't be told no for leaving the family unless they do owe money or something, like Squishy said. That however is at leaders discretion as to whether or not to let them go. I've seen people want to leave familys because their friend gets authed and they're only a wise guy and are shot for even asking.

Clinches.

Report Post Tip

I swear some people must play to lose the game.  Seriously, it defies logic.  Why in the hell would you suicide because you're scared of dying for asking your CL to let you out?  What kind of defeatist attitude is that shit?  

If you've got some douchey upper structure why not at least give it a shot and write a coherent, convincing letter asking your way out?  Hell if its that bad, I'd even stash my cash, request permanent auth and try to shoot my way out rather than suicide like a coward.  At least that way I'd have a 1% chance of breaking free.  This is an RP game.  Don't you (a 1930s era criminal) value your survival above all else?

It gets a little sickening hearing all the talk about honor and chivalry and all that bullshit.  This isn't the middle ages.  We're crooks for christsake.  I will serve my leader to the grave if I know that he or she's got my back.  I'll send every penny up and work my ass off to ensure my survival.  But if I accidentally join someone who sucks, or goes dick mode, then I sure as fuck am not going all emo and falling on my sword to start over.  I'm going down swinging, right?

Oh by the way, I like the change.  For realism alone.  Plus as Robert_Guiscard says, it does away with unnecessary money dump on perfectly legitimate buy outs.

Report Post Tip

An excellent change. I love it.

Afterall, in the Real world if a member of a family decided to jump ship or simply bail out they are hardly going to turn around and go here boss, I'm off have 500k. For realism they'd just leave. It would be up to the CL or whomever was responsible for the individual to nitice they had bailed out, and if so inclined go in search of compensation or seek revenge.

You might even find that crap CLs might not even notice one or two members have left if they don't have a decent structure in place or don't take an active interest in their crew.

Report Post Tip

yea but dont u think now alot of people is jsut going to leave their families now , well i love the idea of now i dont have to go half broke so i could move to antoerh family but still its going to be a big problem now with loyalty with newer players

Report Post Tip

Quite frankly... the buy out of the family was'nt that hard to come buy. You just had to do a few deals and... in 2 or 3 days, you have the money to buy out. Personaly, i always though the buy out was not necessary. This does'nt change anything in this game in my opinion.

Report Post Tip

Help
Replying to: GAME CHANGE: Leaving a family.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL