Get Timers Now!
X

May 11 - 20:38:59
Game Suggestions
1 Watchers
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
VIP Exploitation Started by: LuciusSweet on Feb 08, '17 16:30

Can we change the VIP system so that all forms of text are treated in exactly the same manner?

Seeing people type speech in all bold just to score points off it hurts my soul. 

Report Post Tip

Ehh...Since when has that netted more experience?

Report Post Tip

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure it treats non-standard forms of text better than standard.

Report Post Tip

Hm. Not 100% sure to be honest, I'm fairly certain that text inside a blockquote gets fewer points, so people can quote others and not gain from it, but I've never heard of bolds/italics changing anything.

Report Post Tip
Success! Dat topic's bein watched.

We shall see!
Report Post Tip

(On a side note, if bold texts really do give more points [experience or VIP], I totally agree that it should be changed.)

Report Post Tip

Yea, I thought the only thing that changed your scoring was if you quoted. Text inside quotes is not counted towards your score. I'm curious about this too as I tend to write my characters words in bold, but leave the rest of the story in italics.

Report Post Tip

Blockquotes removes it from the calcs, so that one clearly doesn't help.

I've heard rumours about stuff like bold, but never believed them to be honest. Makes no sense. If it is the case, clearly shouldn't be. Formatting should help to make text more legible, not less. I want to shoot the people bolding it all the time.

Report Post Tip

Enor, may I ask why you type in bold?

Report Post Tip

Maaaaaate. With or without scoring more bold text kills my soul. More and more are doing it for speaking portions for some reason. I can read it better without the bold and I skip those posts more so than others, as my eyes cop a beating.

But if it does get more points, that sucks more so. Not sure why it would give more points though.

Report Post Tip

I cannot stand bold being used for entire threads. I actually skip over it. It's not necessary. 

I have never heard anything about text style giving more points though. Only the block quote thing. I'm really curious about it now that you've posted this.

(If you are one of those horrible people that posts your stuff in all bold and are reading this... Please stop posting in bold. It's icky. It hurts my brain. Nothing is that important. Especially fluffy RP.)

Report Post Tip

I can clear some stuff up here. Anything within <blockquote> tags is removed from posts and not scored. All other HTML is stripped from posts before the score is calculated. This means that things like bold, underline, italics or any other formatting has no bearing on your post's value.

So for example:

The text in this box is removed before scoring and has zero value.

These lines have the same exact value.

I hope this helps clear this up.

Report Post Tip

Thank you enkindle! Much appreciated!!

(Now you people who insist upon "yelling" at us in forums using all caps can stop! Use standard text and italics. It's so much less aggressive and way less painful on the eyes/brain.)

Report Post Tip

IslaCrawford it quickly defines what is being said from what is happening in the story.

Report Post Tip

Italics already does that though, and isn't hard to read like large clumps of bold text. :)

Report Post Tip

Before bold became "the thing" we used italics just fine. Feel free to look at past years threads. Large blocks of bold are difficult to read. Before italics came to be we used *'s to show action and plain text for speech. I find myself missing the days before bold being abused more and more every day. One or two lines, fine... But five or six paragraphs? A bit effin' much.

Report Post Tip

Very tempting to drop a (not so subtle) link to this thread to everyone currently using the "I don't give a shit about your poor eyes, the legibility of the text or how silly I look" bolding technique. 

Report Post Tip

Thanks enkindle, much appreciated. Myth debunked. 

Perhaps I will modify this suggestion to be either banning large clumps of bold/coloured text or provide an option for them to be disabled.

Report Post Tip

LuciusSweet - Perhaps I will modify this suggestion to be either banning large clumps of bold/coloured text or provide an option for them to be disabled.

This would be hilarious to input via a player standpoint tbh.

Report Post Tip

Yeah. I'd prefer it to be a toggle option for me not to be able to see it, rather than a decree that I would start shooting the culprits if they persisted - although I suspect the results to be similar. 

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: VIP Exploitation
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL