Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 28 - 22:36:20
Page:  1 
A child who doesnt learn Started by: Angy on Mar 19, '17 18:28

Angy was reading the column of the obits and analyzing the common reasons for these deaths. Some names came from long lineages. This caught her attention because many children continued to make the same mistakes that their parents, grandparents and ancestors had made, and this did not change as each new generation arrived and joined new organizations. These tragic and often unnecessary deaths had left her in an uncomfortable position because she believed in the idea that a person should always strive to learn from their mistakes and change for the better each time. But why was it that some people had so much difficulty changing or simply could not conform to socially applicable rules.

After a few moments of reflection she decided to pick up her paper and a pen to write down some thoughts for the editor of the newspaper. He was her longtime friend and she wanted to suggest that he create a column with tips on how to evolve. How to be valued in this world so full of wrong, with such high prices to pay.

"Dear Mister Collins, I do not know how long it's been since we met for those poker nights, I apologize for my lapse of time but I'd like you to publish a letter in your journal containing some points that are worrying me at the moment. A thorough analysis of our high death rate for reasons that could be avoided. "

"Hint for you do not wake up swimming with the fish in this world"

1 - Respect your leader blindly, even if you sometimes disagree with it. You probably do not have a complete view of what's really going on and the real reasons for situations that confuse you. Avoid horrible regret by having some trust in your leader, rather than making drastic decisions on your own. 

2 - Do not expose your internal problems with your organization, in public. If something bothers you, try to have a frank conversation with your leader and bring to their attention what is happening. This way you give him or her the opportunity to correct the fault (if that is what is really occurring). If it turns out not to be a fault, your leader may even clarify for you, the reason for the situation.

3 - Have the humility to listen to your leader and try to learn what he or she has to convey. By doing this you will help make the organization united in one direction. When you make the effort to understand you help reduce the chances for misunderstanding and mistakes, helping the entire crew work better together without arguments about direction and actions. 

4- You will always have friends outside your family, this is healthy and makes the social convection more pleasurable. But what happens inside your family should stay there no matter how much you trust your outside friend. Your leader trusted you by sharing some crucial information for the future of the organization, so do not be so stupid as to pass that information on absent mindedly.

5 - Be proactive. Ask your leader how you might help, showing yourself available for new functions, rather than sitting around waiting to be noticed. If you are quiet and not being noticed, that is your fault and it is a problem that will not be solved by changing families. Sitting in silence somewhere else will almost certainly yield the same results. Don't be shy, speak to your family and your leader.

Angy re-read the short article and enveloped the letter for her boys to deliver directly to the newspaper. Along with a bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild wine.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Jag had met the fella earlier this week and they would go for some drinks downtown tonight. Jag was just waiting for him to finish cleaning the press-machines for the newspaper he worked at. While leaning against the door, he read over one of the articles that had just been printed.

“This is nice.” He said to himself. “The message this communicates confirms that of a speech that was delivered earlier this week. The more successful mafioso openly subscribe to this attitude, the more reason inexperienced people like myself have to believe in it’s effectiveness for this life.”

The friend cleaning the machines stared briefly at Jag, wondering if he realised these topics were of little concern to him. Jag seemed lost in the article and just kept on speaking.

“These parts about Omerta, pro-activity within the operation and submitting to the decisions of those higher up in the hierarchical structure make sense. But to me, this blindly trusting your leader sounds like something for an ideal world in which no lacking leaders exist.”

“However, I heard stories about how talks have been given where the reasons for the downfall of leaders have been given. The simple fact that leaders die means they made mistakes. Their social approach to this life was lacking. Their understanding of relations with others was not enough. The attitude they instilled in their members was questionable. Or even if their whole operation was flawless, they’ve made the mistake of trusting those who they thought were their friends and allies.”

“Leaders make mistakes and thus respectfully questioning the alternatives to an approach or an opinion makes sense to me. The key is respectfully, I agree. It may be expected that leaders have a great understanding of this place, so their word should carry weight. But let us also openly recognise they are not flawless and make room to discuss those cases. To not discuss those things is most convenient and easy for everyone, but it's not necessarily in the best interest for a family or the image of that leader. Not being perfect is fine. Pretending to be perfect however…"

"Well, that’s fine as well I guess as it probably makes people feel better after all.”

His friend hit the light switch, which made that Jag couldn't read any further. They both exited the building, leaving the now-shiny press-machines to guard over their latest creations.

“You done rambling on? Let’s hit the town.”

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $150,000 Tip

Angy after listening intently JagAvery words I decided to comment a bit on the point of it.

"A leader is not a person who is never wrong or always has reason, but when you accept being part of an organization you are expected to obey your commands and not question your decisions. Try to imagine what it would be like if everyone would go in the direction they believed to be right.
A leader serves to direct the group to one direction and work to get the group together. If this leader decides on a wrong path he will have to pay for this error together with his team and at the end of the trajectory is his name that will be in disgrace and not those of his members most of the time. So when they make a decision, it will be after having reflected on the options that they have the knowledge to possess. If you do not blindly trust your leader, ask yourself the reason that led to this and try to work with him on this problem."

Report Post Tip

“I understand your views, Godfather Angy. It does however feel like you suggest that even if a person feels that their family is on a crash-course, that it’s best to go along with their leader that set out on this devastating direction. In your article you mentioned “horrible regret” - wouldn’t it be just as much regrettable if a person had insights for the betterment of a family, but they kept it for themselves, simply because their leader is assumed to know better anyway? I’m not saying people shouldn’t be loyal to their leader if all seems to go south, but I’m rather stating that all assets in a family could be recognised as valuable to prevent things from going south in the first place. In the end, more often than not, it’s the leader of an operation that’s pointed at as the reason for their removal.

Take the recent case of Don BlackJack. Say members of his family recognised some of the reasons, which Mr. TsuDhoNimh announced, that played a part in the removal of that family. Would it have been better for them to bring this up with Mr. BlackJack and say ‘Boss, listen, your approach in these matters is gonna cause us problems. Change what you are doing.’. Or would it have been better to be ’Sshhh’ about it and be okay with the fact that it’ll only taint the lineage of BlackJack, despite the fact it’ll cost their life in the end as well?

I’m not at all suggesting everyone should just plainly express their suggested direction in public if it’s not given some good thinking first. But why would we be reluctant to change the course leaders can be on while they are alive, so they might live longer? Because at some point someone will kill the current leaders anyway and the next bunch will create a truth about their failures and mistakes that everyone suddenly agrees with again, or at least… fails to question. I think a reasonable voice should always have a place within this community. Even if leaders, a city or a community can’t work in that way, we shouldn’t by default dismiss the attitude to question things or put aside those that do as pariahs. If we didn’t question things in life, we wouldn’t improve.

I’m not implying that those who question are always right, but I just think they should be heard. There’s a risk in promoting an attitude where we just follow blindly without exploring better pathways. Questioning things doesn’t imply disrespect. It’s an opportunity to confirm that what we’re doing is either truly right or it opens a door to be better, if we’d dare to step in that direction afterwards.”

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

when you accept being part of an organization you are expected to obey your commands and not question your decisions. 

Angy, just to clarify before I speak, what exactly do you mean by "not question your decisions"? 

Report Post Tip

Kathryn, i will use an exemple. Would you question FitzChivalry's decisions?

Report Post Tip

Angy

I would, yes, depending on what you mean by "question".

I have a great deal of respect for the Godfather, and he has earned my loyalty many times over.

If you're asking me whether I would disobey a direct command, then I would not. Particularly in emergency situations, but in other cases of leadership as well, it can be most efficient to have a single voice speaking whose commands are carried out to the letter.

However, if time were not of the essence and I thought the Godfather might benefit from my perspective, I would most likely try to respectfully engage him and share my own point of view. This is something that I've done both publicly and privately.

Ultimately, I think it depends on what you mean by "question". If you mean flat out disobedience, then I agree with you.

But my personal belief is that, when you're trying to lead a group of people, respect for rank only goes so far. I could simply issue out commands and make communication a one way street if I wanted to, but I believe this would be counterproductive. Instead, I've tried to build a system where members of my organization have a way to challenge my decisions and propose better ideas. I think I'm pretty damn smart- although almost certainly not as smart as I think I am- but I feel like I'd be missing out on essential information if I only relied on my own ideas and didn't invite counsel and feedback from others on a regular basis, even if my word is still final. 

Report Post Tip

The questioning is not the issue one can question something all they want but it is how they react to the answer they get, if your mad people question certain things but they still react in a way in which you prefer then you should honestly thank them for questioning something as a blind follower can be compared to a lemming, the reason we live in this world of ours is to question everything. To question is to be human, we are naturally questionable. If seine follows an order after questioning it it just means they have given thought and unless you want everyone to be a series of yes men who you command and act blindly which I don't believe any leader would want then I highly recommend questioning orders but questioning is far from disobeying an order. Questioning an order is far from disloyalty.

Also in reference to the title of your speech, "a child who doesn't learn" .a child who doesn't learn is a child who doesn't ask questions!

Shantelle came across a letter written in a newspaper that she happened to come across. The first time she read it she nearly pushed it back in disgust. Then drawing it forward again she saw some things that she had overlooked previously. Putting it aside for a day she picked it up again and read it over. This time she drew out a piece of paper and began her missive to the individual that wrote it.

"Godfather Angy,

I have seen your article for the newspaper. I happened to stumble upon it when I was out for lunch. You make some valid points about helping out your family, that is always important. I also agree there are things best left between a member and their leader that does not need to be brought about in the streets. So issues should remain private for sure. Loyalty to your family and leader is important and respect for them as well. However, I believe that is where I stop agreeing.

At first, this felt like a subtle threat to ensure that opinions were not shared that may be different from the ones a leader may wish to see. I surely hope that would not be the case so I read the column again. You can be respect and follow your leader with your eyes wide open, not shut. There is no need to promote blind faith because the reality is not one of us is perfect. Can you really teach members to not question things and have that truly benefit them?  I always felt a leader that could take criticism and opinions that were not their own as a great accomplishment. To be able to listen to someone at the very least is what you are asking members to do correct? You want them to truly hear what the leader has to convey so why can the leader not do the same? No is saying the leader has to take it to heart or do what the member says but to grow and become better you do need opinions and ideas outside of your own.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with Kathryn that when it is a time of emergency you need to do as asked automatically. For the safety of your city, family and leader this is important. But during quiet times it is important to be able to have honest discussions with your leader. If you feel a certain way just being able to tell them is usually great. Sometimes they will like the idea, and sometimes not and that is okay. That is as okay as the member not always liking something their leader does. You can still respect them even with a difference of opinion.

As a member I think I would be greatly offended if I was told to basically "Shut up and follow." I like to think that sometimes there is things a member can contribute to our community besides money, blindness and the ability to shoot whoever they are told to. That they could be great story tellers, and they could help shape new players and envision things that could make the community great at that given time. I think that disrespect should not be tolerated but we should help people learn how to express themselves in our streets without being rude.

Those are just my two cents though. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Shantelle"

Signing the letter with her name she then sealed it up. Motioning for a young lad looking for work she handed him some money and the address that the letter needed to be delivered to.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A child who doesnt learn
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL