Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 19 - 04:19:39
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Good ol' days gone? Started by: Saitama on Apr 26, '17 06:31

Saitama was clearing some boxes from his office building, left to him by an old friend, when he came across some scribbled papers. The papers dated back to a time when things were different around these streets. As he flicked through the pages he saw they were spread over a period of 4 or 5 years. Intrigued he sat upon a box of similar papers and began to read comments about various conversations about the way of life. The concerns, aggravation, and disappointment alike to how the business changed from what it was to something the person did not even recognise. It was almost like reading his own thoughts from the past few years.

What was written and what his current opinion of this business were connected in an almost spooky way. Shoving these papers back into the box and shelving it properly he headed out. He wouldn't be binning these papers after all. Records of the old ways were something to cherish. Walking out the building he was almost lost in his own thoughts. Mind whirring about what he had just read and how much had tallied with his own thoughts he spotted a few mafioso congregated on the street corner. He approached, nodded at a few familiar faces, awaiting his chance to bring up the points he was contemplating and seeing what the people of today felt about them.

Ive often heard people reflecting and comparing today to the good ol' days. Flipping through journals, papers, and ledgers see people praising the past as the glorious days in this thing ours. Standards were higher, Respect was a thing, Positions meant more, The streets were bustling, businesses thriving, everything was better...or was it? Is it just some of us looking through with bias? Wouldnt such a time only spawn greater men of character based on that eras beliefs? If, however, that is reality where did we, in this business, take a wrong turn and let our values in this way of life decay? 

I can reflect from some scribbled notes left to me and from personal experience that I believe standards have almost gone out the window. Ive seen some great cities and crewleaders but more so...not so great...lifeless..incompetent...laughable? Not a jab at any current leaders but an overall observation. I've even seen some leaders, and even cities, left long enough because they offered no viable threat, and when the time came their real estate was needed to satisfy the growing hunger of another city...the hounds, let loose...

If these people werent a threat were just mere "decoration" why was it seen fit to let them take the esteemed role of captain or godfather thus watering down the significance of the position in the eyes of the world.

Most importantly though, how do we reverse our course? How can we recognize the cancer and remove it before this way of ours is nothing but a shell of its self and the authority the standards and our ways of life are just looked upon as a huge joke. 

I know others have spoke on this matter, I know many are actually itching for change and not just a change that will last only with a crop of leaders or a few people but to continue and take grip. What are your opinions on everything said, and how can we better our thing here?

Or is all this just a bunch of old lineages bitching and longing for their good old glory days?

Report Post Tip

As Rhia was wandering around the streets in search for something intriguing she noticed a man at the corner of the street surrounded by a crowd of mafioso. She got curious as it looked like the man was about to start an interesting topic so she decided to approach and listen to what he had to say.

After his speech was done Rhia felt like he was waiting for answers so she humbly started speaking.

Sir, in your speech you talked about change. A great change that will last. I think that's impossible to achieve as long as people will not feel the need to make a change in themselves first.

We see people coming on streets after every war or every death they felt wrong about and complaining that the upper structure did wrong and how the truth is not what they made it seem like it was.

They speak about their truth yet the other party has their truth too. It's about how we look at things and from which perspective. 

Also there will always be people that are not pleased, that are searching for something that they call "better". Because it's easier to complain in front of a crowd than actually start making a change.

I think the first change people need to make is realize that the moment they decided to come to this world they decided that they are prepared to die. After all, this place of ours is a game of power and there will always be a winner and a loser.' 

Rhia was feeling embarrassed. It was the first time she spoke in front of a crowd and also about a such a sensitive topic. Not knowing how to control her emotions she decided to take a turn and run away.

Report Post Tip

YOU KNOW I'M NOT SURE HOW TO SAY IT, BUT I REALLY AGREE WITH YOU. I MISS THE GLORY DAYS AS MUCH AS THE NEXT GUY, BUT HOW DO YOU GET THOSE BACK? WELL, YOU KNOW. Like they say, you gotta roll with the punches if you're taking my meaning? 

One must be the change they want to see.

He smiled towards the crowd and walked off, truly he changed a life today.

Report Post Tip

Tommo was listening to the various speakers and comments on this 'good ol' days' topic, he chuckled to himself and began to speak.

It seems to me that every generation has it's good ol' days, it's with romanticised nostalgia that we look back on a time where everything was new and exciting.  New and exciting I can agree with but better and without its problems, I am not so sure. I for one cannot say with a clean conscience we didn't have crew leaders that were inept or several people that didn't understand respect or loyalty.

I currently find myself in a town that is full of respectful, happy and active people. I feel like my opinions are respected and I also feel like my made status was deserved and given to me for my hard work. Now maybe this isn't the experience for everyone at the moment but I don't feel like it has ever been all good or all bad just a big mix of both. 

One thing I am quite sure of though is that for the kids just coming off the boat as we speak, these will be their glory days and when we are old and grey - or worse, this conversation will be repeated. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Disorder had listened to the conversation. Some decent points had been made, then he stood and listened to Tommo. Saying nothing he listened to the man, a broad smile on his face. When he was finished speaking, Disorder said nothing. The old Godfather just started clapping loudly. He walked across to Tommo smiling and clapping as he went. Taking a wad of notes from his jacket he stuffed them into Tommo's coat pocket, clapped him heartily on the shoulder and wandered off.

"What a guy!"

Report Post Tip

My good old days are so long ago now that I cant remember how good they were. Or even if they were that good. Today was a good day though. 

Report Post Tip

For many, Tommo, that may be true. However, as one who has read through years' worth of good and bad decisions, I'd say the good days are decided by something else. There should be a moment in each person's life where they commit to their boss, their crew, and their city. And in return their boss, crew, and city commit to them. There was a time when that was indicated by the Made Man role, but it's become frivolous enough now that it may not be the case.

When you're able to put it all on the line for someone, you've reached the good days. When you are looked to for leadership or counsel, you've reached the good days. When you can look at anyone in your HQ and know you can rely on them for anything. For some, they get a taste of that on their first trip off the boat. They're the lucky ones. It's all I can do to wish and hope that each person in Our Thing has that moment and fights for it, because it will pass. And when it passes, you need to be able to leave it all behind for your son or daughter to have their own moment.

Report Post Tip

We see people coming on streets after every war or every death they felt wrong about and complaining that the upper structure did wrong and how the truth is not what they made it seem like it was.

Plenty of examples throught history, some VERY salty. I would like to believe however alot of the issues could be handled by respect. If your enemy falls by your gun do you owe them dignity and respect when addressing the reasoning or is it acceptable to just drag them through mud to sell your point home? The opposite should be asked also. Ofcourse though regaurdless how its handled someone will alway be dissatisfied and voice that clearly.

They speak about their truth yet the other party has their truth too. It's about how we look at things and from which perspective. 

Truth... You would think it would be something simple but for some reason it rarely is, especially in our line of work. You are absolut ely correct on it being heavily perspective. Without really knowing the motives behind each involved the context and complexity changes easily but on the surface could be however you wanna sew it.

Also there will always be people that are not pleased, that are searching for something that they call "better". Because it's easier to complain in front of a crowd than actually start making a change.

The stone has always been cast at those on top no matter how benevolent those on top can be. 

Is there a possibility to curve the mindset of individuals like that? How do we instill the mindset as a community to act as a whole in bettering our business with what ever the issue may be through action and not endless banter behind closed doors? 

I think the first change people need to make is realize that the moment they decided to come to this world they decided that they are prepared to die. After all, this place of ours is a game of power and there will always be a winner and a loser.' 

I think that is a very good mindset to have. I feel it gives you a clear mind to make decisions that need to be made and not based on fear. I've witnessed some  who manage to keep their dignity and respect this way. However its also a dangerous mindset in the aspect of those who walk around saying ohh well im gonna die anyway. I think it could lead to an attitude of being lazy, sloppy, and uncaring about our position in the world.

Report Post Tip

Alex cleared his throat and stepped forward

"As someone who comes from a very active city with a great group of people I have to say the good old days are right now, but it's not by chance. We all made a choice to make it that way and I know other cities and crews have done the same. We push each other to be better and we are there for each other come what may. I will also say promotions are not handed out lightly. The main point though it's that if you feel the good days are gone it is on you to work to bring then back within your own crew and city and it grows from there."

Report Post Tip

It seems to me that every generation has it's good ol' days, it's with romanticised nostalgia that we look back on a time where everything was new and exciting.  New and exciting I can agree with but better and without its problems, I am not so sure. I for one cannot say with a clean conscience we didn't have crew leaders that were inept or several people that didn't understand respect or loyalty.

Every generation will indeed have their own nostalgia point to look back on as their take on life is in different points then anothers. I do agree and think a portion peoples problems is theve been licking on the same lolly pop for years now and should think about shaking trying a new flavour however that is a little bit on a persons personal level that is up to them. 

Do you feel like the number of Inept leaders or people who seem to not understand or care about respect and loyalty has increased over the last several years? If im being honest I will say i feel like im seeing more and more of it in recent memory. The number of those who come to these streets and businesses being disrespectful I feel increased but the blowback for such disrespect has become minuscule in comparison to years past but was a trade off to be more lenient on people speaking their minds to see more activity arise. Another thing ive noted seeing more recently is those who think they are entitled to rank position and say so because of their lineages.

I currently find myself in a town that is full of respectful, happy and active people. I feel like my opinions are respected and I also feel like my made status was deserved and given to me for my hard work. Now maybe this isn't the experience for everyone at the moment but I don't feel like it has ever been all good or all bad just a big mix of both. 

Im very happy to hear that! It is something we all strive to find ourselves in positions such as that and I hope its something that is found throught, all the way to the associates.

Dont take me wrong ofcourse its never been all good or all bad depending on where you stood was the viewpoint of good or bad but is the number of bad exsperiece seeming to increase?

One thing I am quite sure of though is that for the kids just coming off the boat as we speak, these will be their glory days and when we are old and grey - or worse, this conversation will be repeated. 

I truely hope each kid stepping off that boat really does!

Report Post Tip

"As someone who comes from a very active city with a great group of people I have to say the good old days are right now, but it's not by chance. We all made a choice to make it that way and I know other cities and crews have done the same. We push each other to be better and we are there for each other come what may. I will also say promotions are not handed out lightly. The main point though it's that if you feel the good days are gone it is on you to work to bring then back within your own crew and city and it grows from there." 

Alexander_Solonik I am actually very pleased to hear that you feel that way and to hear good things from LA. Im not saying that good could not be found or is gone but more so concerned and raising the question of if the issues have seemed to grow and become more frequent. Ive taken noticed at the Involvement LA has shown im various areas and I would be lieing if i said i was not impressed and wish to see yall prosper. 

Report Post Tip

River had sat and thought about it. She looked over the journals of her ancestors and took her own experiences into account. After taking all of this into consideration she was ready to make her own thoughts known.

After taking some time to really consider this conversation I have to first say thank you for bringing up this discussion. It certainly is thought provoking that is for sure.

My ancestors have often thought about the good old days. How things have gotten so bad and seemed quite hopeless to be around this thing for quite some time. However, the journals started to change. And for me personally, I can't say we are in the good old days or say that they were without mistakes but there are times when the days are good.

In this thing of ours every leader is different. Some you will be glad to know, others not so much. Each individual has to decides first what leader they wish to join. When they do this they should really talk to and do their research. This is the beginning of what makes good days over all. If you are not with the right leader, it can skew your view on our community. People who are unhappy are likely not to try, not to want to do much good for our community, etc.

The community is over all good. You won't see it if you are miserable. People have a tendency here to bring down individuals that are different from how they think they should be without getting to know them first. It is a mistake many people make and it takes a very long time to get over. However, it doesn't mean they are useless or worthless to our community.

I think it's time we stop looking back though. We need to look forward. What is wrong with our community and how can we as a collaborative group fix it?

Don't think there are standards in your family? Speak to your leader or find one that has standards that you can respect.

Not enough people telling their stories? Tell us some of yours.

Bored between drug runs? How about stopping by a local business?

For every down side to something try to figure out if there is a way that it could be fixed. If there is, then go through whatever channels you need to try and get it moving. Maybe it will happen, maybe not but at least you tried to make these days the good days.

River turned around and began to find a quiet spot to sit in while she listened to the other people around her.

Report Post Tip

Here's the thing, this type of speech occurs in these Streets near permanently.  Why?  Because one bloodline's glory days is another bloodline's era of absolute horror.

Have standards slipped?  Well, define what standards?  And what were they before and what are they now?

I recall when getting a bold suit was nearly impossible, a position reserved for a select few lineages.  They'd have thought it a golden time.  Others?  Not so much.  Or a lengthy, lengthy reign of a few people and their pals - great for them, bad news for everyone else.

But had standards slipped then?  Or did a band of powerful people create something in their image and people react aggressively to it?

Dude, stop crying.  The more this thing changes, the more it stays the same.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Sadly, I have to agree with Kuku.

My family line goes back a fairly long time, so I have been able to read journals, and hear from other kin, about many glory days. 

The perfect point of kukus rambling is that for some they made speeches like this during other peoples glory days.

There are Godfathers right now doing great things, would you say they are not having the times of their lives?

If we burned all the journals, would any of you know the difference between then and now?

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Yep, Premeir nailed it (although his best work always is when he copies mine); reminiscing about the past is a constant.

Was there ever a golden era?  No.  There were many, many golden eras.

Report Post Tip

I could turn to any page in my family's journal and it would land on a day i bested you kuku.

Report Post Tip

Whack-Whack raises hand with a question.  Not sure how to articulate the question but here it goes.

Can the glory day leaders train potential being their RH?

Report Post Tip

Im not sure you figured out how to articulate that question...

what?

Report Post Tip

I would have to agree with some the good ol' days are not the good ol' days for all.

Different people over the years have come with different aims, ambitions, different levels and numbers of activity among mobsters and even different attitudes.   Many will see the good ol' days, the golden times however you want to name them as are those which worked best for certain bloodlines at them times or where they felt had most success or pleasure in their work.

You could probably get 5 different leaders of different groups/cliques/backgrounds however the modern day definition is to go through family diaries, videos, musings whatever and many will have had a different period where had the highs or low's.   The hard part on seperating glory days are for tight knit groups who often share the same success due to how they work together, time and time again as the golden days often re-occur due to their ability to work together to overcome.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $25,000 Tip

How about the page where your lineage was goaded into affronting Philly by mine, losing their city as a result?  When your lineage was bloodlined by mine?  When your lineage and Roman's were taken out by a group of people including descendants of mine?  All the BG wacking?  When your lineage was so fed up of being harassed, BG wacked, fucked with, goaded and messed around that the infamous "anti-terrorism treaty" was struck?

Really, what did the Kuklinski bloodline lose to Premeir's?  Answer: a series of very low ranking people.

The flipside?  A couple of empires and tens of millions.

Not bad, really, when one stops and thinks about it.

Oh, there's also that frankly hilarious time my bloodline managed to get yours to take out an entire city.

Oh, Premeir.  I like you.  I always have.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Good ol' days gone?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL