Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 18 - 22:02:01
Page:  1 
Getting Ahead: At What Cost Started by: SofiaZitaBellini on May 23, '17 03:44

Sofia stopped in her stroll down the sidewalk.

"The TYRANT.  All hail the mighty Tyrant!!!"

She smiled hoping to have gained a few attentive stares, peaking their curiosity.

"In my time here on these shores, which haven't been as long as compared to others, there has been a familiar phrase lurking on street corners, coffee shop locations, and anywhere else imaginable.  After scavengering through the streets, and reading up on journals left behind, it was clear. The familiar phrase," she makes a bell ringing sound imitation "ding ding ding! You got it."

"Rank up and do something about it!!"

Sofia sighs having grown tired of hearing that fucking phrase.

"Who are the ones who usually say this though?  Oh right...those IN power, or on their way to power (again)."

Such a comical laugh sometimes, so Sofia guess she owed thanks for that in making her chuckle.

"When people join this business of ours, work their asses off to achieve something, with anything in their day to day lives and business, only to have their hard work shot down because the one ruling the business world doesn't allow anymore growth or business to be done from those not close to them... well it fucking sucks!! Some feel, and I know I sometimes have had these thoughts recently....'why bother'?" 

Sofia sighed softly before carrying onwards.

"Why bother making something of yourself when you know you won't ever achieve anything, or get past a certain point in your life before it is snuffed out?  It can make some people vengeful, and full of hate.  So can someone please oh please tell this me just how anyone is supposed to actually 'rank up and do a damn thing' when they have no chance to grow old enough on these shores to actually do something AND be of use?"

She paused for a brief moment then continued because she was indeed curious to discover the secrets to the successful way of life.

"Alliances form, friendships are born, business partners emerge.  Isn't it amusing how the good intentions of a few turn into the greed of one or two?  Now to me it isn't so farfetched that power can change people, always wanting to control things, not wanting to die, having the world go how You want it.  Me personally, that's not for me.  Running the world sounds like a headache."

She dramatically massaged her temples briefly for effect then smiled as she began again.

"Now onto what I was pondering about earlier today.  Okay so we have a 'tyrant' in power at anytime, which leads to many supposedly hating and blaming said tyrant for everything.  Why?  Because it is said they are power hungry, and kill everyone and anyone who dares to build up their city, and/or have an established family??  Even if not a threat in reality."

Sofia waves a gentle hand through the air as she spoke.

"So the kin arrive on these shores full of vengeance in their hearts having heard the news of their fallen ancestors.  Said kin perhaps then plots and plans to overtake the ruthless tyrant who killed their ancestor.  Okay that's understandable, and the way this world works, so I've noticed in journals or heard in my time here so far. Now onto the curious part for me.  All the behind the scenes plotting, all the devious plans and whatnot... I get it I really do."

She arched an eyebrow.

"Change is good though.  New blood.  New leaders.  New regimes.  Otherwise life would get stale and boring, no?  Yet what does that make someone who becomes the tyrant they set out to destroy.   What happens if and when you cross the line of your own reasoning for your actions, and become the tyrant you so despised because of how they handled the day to day business on these shores.  When you lose sight of your original goal somewhere along the way, begin acting, thinking and behaving just like the so called tyrant you set out to defeat.....well...."

Sofia emphasized her last two words.

"Hypocritical much?"

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $120,000 Tip

"Is that the voice of an angel?" Romance thinks to himself as he hears her speak.  Indeed it was, and Romance was immediately drawn to the source of that voice.... the supple lips of the beauty that was SofiaZitaBellini.....

Romance glided across the sidewalk to where she stood, his white silk shirt unbuttoned to his naval..... he took her by her hand and placed it on his bare chest so that she could feel his heart beating... beating for her..... Sofia's hands were soft, but her demeanor was hard and serious as she spoke upon the topic or tyrants.  Her words were filled with passion.  Romance was filled with passion as well....

"Sofia.... you speak so eloquently... I could listen to your words all day.....

But I must ask... if you would entertain my hypothetical scenario for a moment.... let's say that you suddenly found yourself the Boss of all Bosses here in This Thing of Ours.... you were the ultimate power... the most powerful mobster in the country..... what would you do differently?  How would you rule this mafia?  What would you do to protect those under your employ?  To fend off elements that would do you harm?  What would set you apart from leaders that you deem to be tyrannical?  Perhaps an alternative to the norm would give us insight on how you think things could be improved."

Romance looked at her delicate features as he waited for her to respond..... lost in her eyes.....

Report Post Tip

Her blue eyes were filled with curiosity as the stranger took her hand, having such boldness to place her hand on his chest.  Sofia pulled her hand away, but kept eye contact as he spoke of this hypothetical situation where she ruled everything.  She shool her head knowing she had already stated she had no desire to do so, but humored the stranger regardless.

"Well let's see.  What would I do differently, hmm.  I could give a wide variety of fantsy notions because truly that's all they would be, fiction and not based in any form of reality since I will be ruling nothing, but let me think on this a moment.  I wouldn't envision or claim to be the ruler of the entire Thing of Ours for one, now should I find myself in charge of any city, then that's what I would have domain over.  I wouldn't view myself as a ruler of every single city we are able to visit across the country.  Thing is, I am not a greedy person, nor would I want to be, or project that image."

Sofia paused briefly wondering if he was paying attention with the puppy dog look in his eyes.

"How would I protect my family, or even my city since we are in this scenario?  I would fight anyone who dared to harm anyone under my protection with every means available.  My city would be a unified city, filled with trustworthy and loyal people who would give their all until their last breath, as would I."

She smiled brightly at the thought, but hell why not this is all fantasy talk anyways.

"But finding an entire city that is unified to that degree is indeed unrealistic in a world of greed."

Sofia placed a hand on her hip as the other hand brushed a few curls off her shoulder.

"Well for starters, I wouldn't be a tyrant of the entire world, which is the pattern in this thing of ours according to journals and talk.  Besides, I doubt I can ever picture myself as a tyrant in any capacity, shape or form.  Protective, yes.  Tyrant, no.  I wouldn't set out to wipe an entire city just because they are thriving, or getting up there in age."

Sofia crossed her arms loosely as she stood there.

"Surely you didn't miss part of my earlier points though.  The complaints against the existing regimes at one time or another, and wanting solely to take out whom the people deem is a tyrant, but falling into the same pattern themselves doing exactly themselves what they claim to hate is just a bit hypocritical isn't it.  The intent to change the norm, and being corrupted yourself doesn't make the person any better than the said tyrant they aimed to take out in the first place.  Also how is anyone supposed to work hard to do something about anything and bring change, when their lives will be cut short leaving their kin to follow once again in their footsteps to only attempt to make a change as well."

She tilted her head giving the last of her thoughts for now to the stranger who seemed to be full of Romance.

"What would I want to see changed?  For leaders to tend to their own city instead of the world.  Defend, yes, but control the world... why?  I wonder why does one person or group feel the need to do that."

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Alex paused in his afternoon stroll to listen to the woman speak before letting out a sharp laugh

"You claim those who reach power are tyrants because they allow those the trust to ascend and crush those they don`t. I say,  however, that they are not tyrants,  they are mobsters. No offense,  but this isn't a playground, it`s the mob.  You want to get ahead and someone else isn't letting you? Do something about it. You laugh that off like it is a joke but the reality is that is how this thing if ours works,  if that doesn't sit right to you you're in the wrong profession."

Alex laughed again and leant back against a nearby wall wanting to see what discussion might come. 

Report Post Tip

Also how is anyone supposed to work hard to do something about anything and bring change, when their lives will be cut short leaving their kin to follow once again in their footsteps to only attempt to make a change as well.

Romance felt his heart beating faster the more SofiaZitaBellini spoke..... excitement boiling over inside him.... overwhelming his senses....

"Well, I'm not sure you'll like the answer, but the way one would go about doing something like that is to rank up and do something about it.

It sounds cliche at this point, as it is a term beaten to death to the point it hardly holds any meaning.  But what it does mean is that if you are strong enough to remove a power that is repressive, you should remove that power and do things differently than the power structure before you.  Otherwise, nobody is going to be interested in hearing your complaints.... except for me of course..... for I would love nothing more to hear your voice all day long.... and all night long as well........"

Romance reaches deep into his pants.... and pulls out....... a bouquet of beautiful flowers.  He hands them to Sofia......

Report Post Tip

River paused briefly. She was just getting ready to wander in some field that day to pass some time but the conversation she heard made her pause.

"There have been people that did not lose sight of their goals. They are so few and far in between. I am sure that backfired on them in some way though. As does everything the top tries to do. The saying "What goes up, must come down" is always true. Eventually.

These days I am probably in the category of "Why bother?" My ancestors were frequently milling around the streets but I like the quieter life. Sometimes I am here, sometimes I am visiting the old country. Sometimes it feels like when I am here that I am there. I think this is a category many people fall under lately because the pattern seems to be if you aren't one of the few there is really no point.

On the flip side, are we sure there is no point? Perhaps you will find that along the way you come across something. If you are a line that people aren't particularly fond of maybe it will change their views.. Then again maybe it won't. People are rather stuck more often then not.

But the phrase you are bringing up today ma'am, the "rank up and do something" phrase is one I have always particularly cringed upon when hearing. While it sounds all tough and fierce, I find it to be illogical. If taken at face value it almost encourages people to rogue. Apparently this isn't what those in power mean by it, and it becomes more clear when your line's reputation is tainted as a "rogue" for doing just as they told people to do. It is an illogical phrase to throw around unless you want to sit there and explain to newer faces in our community.. Time to maybe tweak that phrase or find something else altogether."

River shrugged and went about her way.

Report Post Tip

As he walked out of a fine dining establishment on 54th and Washington he could hear a conversation although he would have to be closer to hear the details at his old age. He motioned for his entourage and ladies to get into the vehicle as he walked over leaning against the cement wall as he gazed upon the small crowd

You gotta wonder what it is like when you've got the whole world on your shoulders.

He laughed as he nodded his head to his friend Godfather Disorder as they all knew he was the man with the keys to the world

On one hand you want the world to thrive and you want to be fair and give everyone an equal shot. On the other hand you have enemies and the natural thirst for power by others and as we all know eventually everyone dies.

Most of us have died at one time or another and as we laid there in a pool of blood taking our last breaths we have thought "I could have prevented this if I only did....". What happens when you find those journals and you swear you wont be put down the same way that poor slub did and then you get to power and you have to do all the above.

You either retire or get shot in this world and we choose which one happens I have learned over the years. There will always be those unhappy and those at the bottom and at the top of the food chain. There are still opportunities for new blood and the future is bright.

He pushed himself off the wall and took a deep breath as he thought about the plans for the night before fixing his tie and rushing off into the car and speeding off into the night.

Report Post Tip

As I am walking through the streets, I hear a bit of commotion of people talking and one familiar voice. I am unsure what it is all about so I stop and listen to what everyone is saying. It seems to be about unequal power or something like that. I am rather young, but I have learned some things in my young life. As the discussion lingers, I ponder myself.. then stop myself and continue to listen as I am not as knowledgeable as others yet.

​​​​​​​I realize, I would not want the world on my shoulders, muchless a family or crew either. But, I relish in the idea that I would do my best to defend and support the family and crew as best I could. I would keep going as that is how I am wired and know I will never always know the ins and outs, but need to do what I was bred to do anyways.

I think to myself, I do not think I would make a great leader, but I would not need to rule the whole world either. I agree with Sofia sometimes changes are for the good, and I think sometimes the power can get to people's heads, whether they set out to or not. Of course maybe people think they can change the world that way, to make it a better place too. 

I continue to listen to all of the comments, as I like to hear all sides first, and a little bit of debate is usually good, until an all out brawl happens.... as long as the people can be adults about it, that is.

Disorder walks up to Sofia and looks at her for a minute.

"Ok lets look at this for a minute. That phrase you hate so much, why do you hate it really? Probably because each time you or your ancestors have tried it you have failed? That doesn't change the truth of the statement. Sure its pretty harsh and unforgiving but that makes it no less true.

How do you think we took power? We ranked up and did something about it. You claim it isn't possible but thats utter horse shit. We took a few very small families and wiped out five entire cities with them. It wasn't easy and we had to make some pretty difficult decisions along the way but we believed in ourselves and had enough talented people around to make it happen. We took the risk, committed to the idea and rolled the dice. If you don't have the capability and the balls to try, you can't cry about never being able to do it. 

As for this particular regime. Its no different than many others that have dominated in a similar fashion and when we fall, it won't be any different than the times before or the times after. A group of capable people with a strong idea will be clever and committed enough to keep their plan together until they can execute it, then they will. We'll be taken out and I know my dying breaths will be spent congratulating them on what they've achieved. 

You're crying about not being able to grow and develop enough to change things. You just aren't trying hard enough. Coming out here and embarrassing yourself with your pathetic whining isn't solving anything. My father grew up under one of the most oppressive regimes in recent memory, he and his friends still found a way to unify and take down a nationwide syndicate. Where there's a will there's a way, another truism. If you aren't getting any results, you need to look at changing your approach. Believe me, there is always a way."

It was pleasing that a few people stopped by to give their opinions, but a bit of a struggle to carry on a conversation with them as they meandered off back to whatever they were doing before stopping.  She turned to the gentleman offering her flowers then shook her head as she waved her hand.

"No thank you Signore.  When a lady receives flowers from a gentleman, it should have some sort of special value for her in receiving the gift.  My heart is already taken anyways Signore, so perhaps you can try your romantic notions on someone else.  Word is the local playground is located near a brothel, but don't hold me to that.  I've never been there."

She leaned against the wall then turned to one of the 'friends' that had originally accompanied her on the outing, to fetch her some coffee please. Off and on throughtout her time standing here, she had received whisperings via her 'friends' about opinions and comments made in private, but still reaching her ears her on the street.  Nevertheless Sofia still waited around in case others had received word of the goings on on this street, and wished to partake in the discussion.  

A stern voice caught her attention, and as she turned, Sofia eagerly listened as Godfather Chairman Disorder stopped by, and gave her time from his busy schedule to speak to her on this topic at hand.  Sofia couldn't help but smile as he forged onwards, a bit harsh on things, but it showed his passion for this thing of ours.  After it seemed he was done for the moment, she spoke up.

"Well for starters Godfather Disorder, thank you for stopping by and giving your viewpoints.  Unlike a few people I have come across in my time here, I actually value the opinions of others, even if they oppose mine or disagree with me.  If everyone thought alike, this world would be extremely boring.  Perdonami a moment per favore."

Right when she began talking, her coffee arrived.  Sofia excused herself a moment needing to quench her thirst from all the talking, plus standing out in the bright sun has made her feel drained.  After taking a much needed drink, she then twirled the cup in her hands then began again.

"Now onto your questions and comments.  I find it highly interesting that I have received information throughout this time while out here waiting, that my topic of discussion is said to be geared at one individual or perhaps a few selected individuals.  I assure you I wished only to create a lively discussion based off things I have read, things I have heard, and so on.  As I previously stated, I've no desire to rule the country with or without being part of the ones in power, or even a desire to take charge of my own family anytime in the foreseeable future.  

I have utmost respect for those who do work for what they achieve, and not ride on the tails of others who do the work instead.  I do have respect for those who have to make the tough decisions, taking out cities, families, allies, along the way.  I do not have respect for hypocrites lurking about these shores though.  It is a tough place to be, and in the journals left to me, I have understood from the readings what it was like to have friends on opposing sides in times of war, and without a doubt my ancestry chose their own family over friendships, or even alliances.  Family First!

I do have to pause for a moment to smile at the thought of being told I am whining and pathetic, when in my opinion I was creating a discussion for people to partake in.  I've not taken offense to being called whiny, pathetic or even criticized for whatever by anyone because I have a right to my opinions.  Is it wrong to come out here and state our thoughts and viewpoints?  Should I just keep quiet and not speak anymore, so I am not labeled a whiny-can't-get-anywhere-without-ranking mafiosa?  Just because I have gathered opinions, comments, questions, viewpoints, and the like over my short time here, and brought it out to the streets for those unable or too shy to do so themselves.

I also understand how the politics work in this thing of ours, and I am very thankful I am out of the loop, so to speak, on things. I enjoy my time doing various things here and there while exploring these new lands. If it came across as I was 'attacking' you personally or calling you a 'tyrant' in my ramblings here, then I apologize Godfather Disorder, as I was not.  The 'tyrant' shout was just a bit of an attention getter, seeing how many focus on those in power as tyrants just because they achieve something the less fortunate cannot.

One of my points was and is, there are those who feel they cannot actually get anywhere because the moment they get close to achieving something, their lives are taken sooner than they would like, thus they cannot actually do anything to change things in this thing of ours. Their kin comes to these shores, falling into their ancestor's footsteps, and falling to the same pattern of demise.  My opinion on the matter is to forge onwards, have your kin come to these shores, and do their best with what life has to offer.  Am I tired of hearing and reading that phrase of rank up, well yes of course I am.  It is the go-to phrase, and has gotten old, but again that is my opinion, as well as a good many others.  I just have the audacity to say it out loud.  

My other point I was trying to stress, is yes we have those in power, whatever regime over time, and they will be viewed as the ones who won't let people live long enough for this or that.  The regimes will be targeted for being unfair to those who just aren't a part of them, and so on.  Whoever is in power is typically hated by some, and loved by some.  My journals have good insights to previous regimes being in power, yet those who overtook them didn't go about complaining 'They did this, they did that' and do the exact same thing to others to achieve the taking over of the regime.  Allies were formed, work was put in, and the regimes fell, as is the nature here.

So what about when someone criticizes the regime in power, set out to remove them at all costs just because of what they've done and how they've remained in power all along, what about behaving and going about things in the same manner and style in order to remove the so called tyrant or regime.  People set a mission in their minds once they land n these shores, to avenge their fallen father, mother, cousin or friend. Then use every means possible, even getting dirty and devious, just like their fallen ancestors claimed to have happen to them.  I just find that hypocritical is all, to go about spouting off the reasons why any current regime needs to fall, and doing the same thing themselves.

I feel that should I ever have the desire to lead a family, I am highly confident I would be able to achieve that by working hard, despite the fact I lack the 'balls'.  I know at times I get discouraged and think 'why bother?', but it passes since I am still young, so I focus on what's important to me in my day to day life.  Again I thank you for taking the time to participate and give me your viewpoints on the matter, but please forgive me for rambling on at such great lengths, possibly repeating myself at times."

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Getting Ahead: At What Cost
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL