Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 24 - 19:14:51
Page:  1 
What Opening Up The Books *Should* Mean Started by: Kuku- on May 25, '17 16:47

I am reliably informed that the only actual members of a crime family, aka a crew, are those that are "Made" - that have been through an initiation ceremony.

I am also reliably informed that to "Make" a "Made" member, the crew in question has to open up the books.

I think that just as each induction is recorded, the crew hosting the Made member should account for every Made member that dies.

Otherwise, why would the books be open?

Let's "Make" this mean something.

Report Post Tip

A man is heard speaking in the streets, Anthony vaguely recalls having interacted with him before, in his youth, when he caught the man in his pockets. 

"I have never been in a position to offer such an honor, though I believe it will be up to the individual who offers the position to make it mean something significant.

"You'll know what it means to them by how they deliver the honor."

Report Post Tip

Alex listened to the man speak and frowned slightly in confusion. 

"I have to admit, I am a bit confused by what you mean when you say 'account for every made member that dies.' My induction of new members into my family has nothing to do with old members dying - I choose who is ready to be made based on their activities and if I am open to new members. The decision of if I am open to new members or what aspects I look for in someone earning their button is not one I will discuss here as it is a family matter, but I will say that I am sure that all crew leaders have different criteria which is as it should be."

Report Post Tip

Baba hears the conversation in passing, puts away his flask and decides to pitch in...

"Are you saying that for someone to be a Made Man or Woman that their earnings and loyalty are open to public scrutiny? Where one family might have a slightly different idea on what it takes to be made then another, becoming made can be earnt by a lot of different methods,  not just by the books"

Report Post Tip
No, just that each city has a book, and that that book has a note of the Made member.

Just as a CL comes to the Streets to announce a war, the death of a Made member should likewise be made public
Report Post Tip

After listening for some time Disorder stepped forward.

"Each leader has considerable knowledge of their made members. They share this with their district and city heads. The members of the city are usually known and appreciated for what they do and who they are.

As for coming out and acknowledging them at the time of their deaths, that should be the primary use for funerals. In some exceptional cases there are street speeches made about fallen mobsters of note. As a rule we lead highly secretive lives of criminality, not really the sort of subject matter for street discussion, even for a partisan audience. Especially when the person in question has no say in how they are being represented."

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Thanks for the response, Disorder.  And I actually find the idea of the reasons for the death of a Made member being given at the funeral a good one.

My point is, basically, that for the Made status to mean something, it should mean that they are afforded rights as well as responsibilities.  

If a Made member is killed by their CL, then something has gone wrong - they shouldn't have been Made, or something else.

It is this that I believe should be made public.

Report Post Tip

I'm interpreting this as you implying every crew should have a hall in their HQ's containing the names of all their fallen made members. If so I like that idea, though that's as far as I believe it should go. Their meaning in this society is more so restricted to that family unless they have left a mark on our society, in which case no announcement is really needed in the streets (unless it was a war) as the entire community will feel and recognize that loss.

Report Post Tip

I think each city should - or even a universal register.

Report Post Tip

Meh that's going a bit far in my opinion. MonsterHair ; Great man to be at the helm of this city but I can't recall ever speaking with him. Why would he be inclined to memorialize my life after death. Yes I'm in his city, but so are hundred others. It's more likely Yeah would feel the loss or maybe a few others in the district that I call home, that's where it would have the most meaning. Not in a city or country wide book that to most I'd be just another name to scroll over.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What Opening Up The Books *Should* Mean
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL