Get Timers Now!
X

May 11 - 15:13:28
Help
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
Additional Server. New Toys. Credit Stuffs. Started by: Squishy on Jul 05, '10 14:32

As the game progresses, it takes a larger toll on the server.  Backups are only done once every 4 hours, but causes frustration because it slows the game down tremendously.  Our 3am maintenance now takes the site down for a full minute. Soooo to speed things up with the game in general and eliminate the backup times that plague us, we have decided to add an additional server to help support our current DB.  We have already purchased the server from our rainy day fund, however we still need to raise the funds for for the colo for the box.  If we happen to raise more than this, we would like to put the extra money towards purchasing two SSD drives for the server.

Anywho... Heres how we plan on raising a few bucks to get this server up into production.

Any credit purchases $50 or greater, you will receive your credits plus we will enable your account to "stack" DFP bribe times. This means you can "prepay" DFP bribe times.  Every time you bribe, it adds another 48 hours onto your timer, and can surpass the 48 hour hard coded limit.  This is for your master account, and works on all of your DFPs any of your future characters have for life.

Any credit purchases $100 or greater, you will receive your credits, plus DFP timer stacking, plus Achievement Reveals.  Reveals show you what city you are lagging behind on for the "Complete X in every city" style achievements.  Reveals will be activated for your master account so it does carry over to other characters.  We also throw in an additional 6 months of the Toolbar Timers.

We will be giving the above rewards away with the credit purchases up until July 7th at 15:00. Please allow some time to activate your rewards since it is done manually.

Big thanks to all!

Report Post Tip

This will likely prove to be a good source of income.

Report Post Tip

I was going to buy credit the 9th or 10th...anyway we can move the deadline to one of those dates?  Just wondering because a lot of people (like me) get paid on friday.

Report Post Tip

This is one of those days where I wish I had money.

Report Post Tip

ha HA!

Buying some now, gl with your purchases admins. :)

(Thank god for tax returns)

Report Post Tip

Will the Achievement Reveal stay when you die, too?

Report Post Tip

"Reveals will be activated for your master account so it does carry over to other characters."

Report Post Tip

DFP Bribe Stacking and Achievement Reveals are tied into your master account, as long as you keep using the same email address/master account, every character you have with MR will have this.

Report Post Tip

Seriously? Count me in. :) 

Report Post Tip

Is there any kind of mobmail that needs to be sent to Squishy after the purchase like last time or is this going to be tracked automatically?

Report Post Tip

A mobmail or a PM on IRC may speed things up, but periodically throughout the day I will be checking the logs and flagging the accounts for the new upgrades.

Report Post Tip

Honestly I'd be more interested if I just got more credits for what I donate.

Report Post Tip

I just donated :( Hope it works well for you Squishy to keep expenses down

Report Post Tip

We just bit the bullet and ordered another 1 year of colo for our new DB box.  We have the server, we have the colo.  Just ordered the mounting hardware/cables too, which should be here monday.  Up next? SSD shopping!

We will be extending the life rewards for another week to see if we can save up enough to get the SSDs before we put the box into production at the DC Datacenter!

Thank you all for your huge huge huge help!

Report Post Tip

I have a SSD Squishy if you're interested. It's primarily though a matter of how you plan to use it. Let me know if you would be interested, obviously I'd sell it cheap to you or trade off for some credits.

Report Post Tip

Absolut, I really appreciate the offer, however we need to buy two of the exact same model of enterprise class drives, while still having the ability to buy a third of the exact same drive down the road.  By sticking with new drives, we get the added benefit of a warranty, as well as a better feeling of when the drive will fail, especially if all drives are from the same batch/revision/firmware. Our current DB box gets IO bound way before it runs out of CPU. So running two (eventually 3) of these SSDs in RAID on our DB server will make a night and day difference when the DB is getting hit hard.  Our eyes are currently on getting either  2 Intel X25-E Extreme 64GBs (and one down the road) or... buying 3 of the 32GB models now and finding a creative way to hold the 3 32s somehow in the same case as our existing 3.5" sata.  (We could remove the old drive if we ran the triple 64s, but would need to keep it if we ran the 32s)

These are the two badboys we are looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167014

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167013

Report Post Tip

For sure RAID is fucking amazing. Well I do have a 30gb OCZ SSD, if it tickles your fancy I mean I'd let it go cheap for you but good luck. I'll keep an ear out on some deals.

Report Post Tip

These last few posts may as well have been in French.

Report Post Tip

Im with you Gwarble. I know some things about computers and hardware but this is way beyond what I can understand. It all sounds great and I hope it all works out.

Report Post Tip

By the way Squishy, go with the 64's. Would prove itself more useful the more the game grows. I mean that's a shit load of space but better safe than sorry. The game's growing as well as income and overall payout, not a lot but it is a tad. So I'd say stick with the three 64 idea and maybe save the case if possible as a plan B worse case scenario.

Report Post Tip

Help
Replying to: Additional Server. New Toys. Credit Stuffs.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL