Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 24 - 11:48:21
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
The Lure of the 1% Shot Started by: The_Big_K on Jul 23, '17 21:43

Another day, another vengeful relative takes to the Streets to announce their anger at a killing.  And, as has become somewhat commonplace, more promises of action to be taken.

The 1% shot - that is, a shot fired as close to the most powerful man in this thing as it's possible for most to get, so called because it's got about a 1/100 chance of hitting the spot.

So, let's just stop and think about this.  People's ambition, in this life, this thing of ours, is to fire in the direction of a powerful man, on the statistically improbable chance that his might be the bullet to end the dynasty?

My friends, please.  Surely you can come up with something with more dignity than this?

It's not only improbable, it's embarrassing.  

It's not just that one hundred people with have to try, it's the rot that will set in.  The lemmings, row and row, blindly and blithely will degrade the fabric of this thing of ours.

Has a Godfather even fallen to a so-called 1% shot?

Look back into history, what has taken the most powerful down?

If the most powerful man in this thing falls, then what?  What's the contingency?  

Report Post Tip
Some bloodlines are born with the desire to take that 1% shot. Through our history the tales of the successful 1% shot fade or turn to myth. Many powerful leaders through the years have fell to these but it seems that with the advancement in our world and the new technologies such as fortified HQ's and the influx of cheap immigrant bodyguards the chance is receding. Maybe if truth be told the historical 1% shot is now a 0.05% shot. Who knows bar the gods that watch over us.
Report Post Tip

Those willing to take a "1% Shot", as you say, have no dignity. They've no honor and no respect. We shouldn't expect anything more from these people... There will always be an angry son or daughter in the streets after a parent's death vowing vengeance and a swift demise of upper structure. It's sad that people can't take death so gracefully. I understand how...oxymoronic that sounds. But there is a certain amount of understanding that needs to be felt. When my Consigliere Father died in New York, I didn't rush into the streets proclaiming how I will split the upper structure and murder them one by one. How I would lay a burden onto my next 100 generations to take potshots at the reigning Godfather... I accepted my father's death with grace and class. I promised myself to work even harder than he had and that way my way of showing my strength to overcome, so to speak... And that was the end of my "quarrel" if one could even call it that... 

Instead of setting ways to better yourself after a death of a close family member, people rush to vengeance rather than finesse... But that's just the show of a childish and classless mind. Its the strong who are willing and able to move on and accept their parents' death. 

Report Post Tip

Throw some anarchy into the system, upset the established order.  Be the agent of chaos and destruction you want to be.  That is the power of the 1% shot that has ended the likes of DeadlySin, Roman and Premeir.

If enough people try, it will succeed and the remaining parties will scramble for control.  It will be both hilarious and beautiful if you allow yourself to use the check and balance that this world has provided for this very purpose.

People will call you a coward and say you are without honor and dignity.

In this life honor and dignity mean nothing, it is about action and consequence.   Those that act do act and those that don't, get killed.

Play god and shoot them yourself for the fun of it if anything...or just get back to living the mundane life that this world provides where you will most likely die in your sleep having achieved nothing.

Report Post Tip

"It's sad that people can't take death so gracefully."

Is bloodlining "graceful"? Is demanding aliases and their gun prowess, through threat of death "graceful"? Nah, thought not.

For each action there is a reaction.

Report Post Tip

Oh goodie, two of them. 

Jafar , if you call the act of earning respect and reputation and rising through the ranks of your respected family mundane, I think your line is in the wrong line of work... But I suppose some people just want to watch the world burn, as the saying goes. 

Francis , if you can prove bloodlining is occurring, I'd pray about it to the great gods in the sky... And, likewise, unless you have some sort of concrete evidence all these deaths are based solely on the victims having too high of "gun prowess" as you so say, then all you're doing is speculating... I don't mind changing an opinion if there is concrete evidence (I.e, a mail from disorder himself saying he's murdering because of people's reputation with a pistol), but otherwise I don't deal in speculation.

And I appreciate you sharing one of Newton's laws of motion with me. That was a nice touch. 

Mind you there are MANY ways to gain a reputation without being "bloodlined" as you refer to it. Ranking incognito is a PERFECT way to remedy this. In fact, one could take death gracefully and work incognito without ever being bloodlined again unless pride overwhelms them. Don't act like you're up against a wall because you think you're being bloodlined. 

It's simple, Francis. Have a child in secret. Tell him to work his way up and forget his past... Problem solved.

Report Post Tip

I did try that tact, Dub, but apparently I'm just too fucking good at shooting Rogues.

Much like yourself - I'm always open to having my mind changed too. Unfortunately 5 days of question asking brought forth so few answers that I was forced to bring my situation to the streets. If you have a legitimate reason my father was killed, then please, be my guest...

Report Post Tip

It's not my job to conjure of reasons for your fathers death because it was none of my business. So don't look to me for answers. Maybe it's time to stop being so good at shooting rogues? Dub chuckles.

I'm just calling it how it looks. I'm not here to say I think you're full of it, but I don't see any proof as of now... So I, personally, can't believe that he's bloodlining or simply killing your line because your father had a big stick, so to speak. 

I am here to say that, when one relies on 1% shots to kill someone, that's the ultimate sign of defeat... Hence dishonorable and undignified.

Report Post Tip

It's simple, Francis. Have a child in secret. Tell him to work his way up and forget his past... Problem solved.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Toeing the line is all fine and dandy, until your ability is deemed too risky. Unless one has managed to climb the ranks and gain confidence of the 'trusted few'...which, let's be honest, is not simple in any endeavor...once you are labeled an unknown and your marksmanship hits that 'risky' threshold, you're dead. 

Now, that said, I do not believe those that be will just shoot you just because, but all it takes is a whisper in an ear..I point to Paradise's demise as an example of this..and no matter how law abiding you have been, you can almost guarantee yourself some cement shoes.

My father said it, and I'll say it...I'd do the exact same thing the current regime is doing, I find zero issue with the way they operate. They made it to the top, they've stayed there, they call the shots. But, what I do find an issue with, is the leeches suckling off those at the top, saying 'Hey, I'm in the circle, you can be too.' No, that's bullshit, and anyone who says this knows it's bullshit. It's a circle for a reason, it's created, then closed off...rightly so...to prevent wayward eyes and leaked intelligence.

Yes, it's possible to have a long everlasting life in this thing of ours, some just have to work harder than others, but this whole pissing on us and telling us it's raining is a bit old.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $25,000 Tip

So if it's not your business to conjure a reason for my fathers death, why are you determined to make dealing with the fallout your business?

Denouncing my reasoning then pleading ignorance when an alternative excuse is requested is bordering on moronic tbh. Except not really bordering on.

Report Post Tip

Outcast , Forgive me if I misunderstand or perhaps read too far into what you said... You don't mean to accuse me of assuming I'm in a "circle" and am like a leech suckling off those at the top, do you? Again, forgive my confusion.

Francis , Definitely not what's happening... I make it my business to remind all those who read or listen to this that not all of the facts are out in the air for all to see. Like I said, two sides to every story and we've heard one. It'd be silly to jump to conclusions based on biased explanation, am I wrong...? I told you I remain open-minded should any concrete evidence arise because that is the intelligent thing to do... Show me facts, and I'll believe you. Give me speculation, and you're a conspiracy theorist... 

Your reasoning was that your father was too good at shooting, that I gathered. But when I am repeatedly essentially saying "Guys, we should wait til we hear both sides and hear concrete evidence supporting both sides before we make judgement." and that "Speculation isn't good" why on EARTH would to ask me to then speculate as to the reasoning of your father's death?? Show me the logic in that, be my guest... 

You're obviously half-listening to what I am saying with no "open-mindedness" intention you so contradictorily flaunted earlier. 

Your lack of intelligence is blaring when I say I don't deal in speculations, then ask me to speculate, then call me moronic for not speculating... That's absurd. 

Report Post Tip

Forgive me Dub, no that was not a personal attack on you. This was a generalization of overall attitude in the streets lately.

My reference to your statement did not correlate to you being a leech. If I am to personally attack someone out here, I will do it by name, and with as much respect as that person deserves. This was aimed more at the general idea of the 'Hey, I'm here, I have a gun, I'm not dead, why can't you?' mentality I have seen thrown around.

I apologize if my words came off as personal.

Report Post Tip

William listened nearby, as the once-worthy conversation slowly began its descent into dick measuring and semantics. He sighed deeply, wishing that all the kin of fallen Mobsters were as well spoken as Francis. Despite the situation having stayed in the shadows for a few days, the clarity and mindfulness of his original speech had drawn quite the number of eyes. William lit a cigarette, leaning against a nearby wall that provided him shade, awaiting the continuation of this speech.

Report Post Tip

William blinked, quickly, and shuffled off to the conversation he thought he'd been at the whole time... Chuckling to himself, he glanced at his cigarette and realized it was in fact marijuana. Silly William.

Report Post Tip

Sure son, lets call it a "lack of intelligence" and not exasperation at the fact that I'm having to say this again - I sought answers respectfully for 5 full days before making my own assertions. My father broke no laws, and was punished by a man who should have no real authority in Chicago.

If there was a legitimate reason, the powers that be had ample time to douse the flames. They chose not to.

These are undeniable facts.

In the absence of explanation, and with no tangible reason, the most likely explanation is that my gun prowess was higher than was comfortable for this regime - something which has yet to be dispelled by the appropriate authorities.

Given the circumstances, unless you can offer a better explanation, I see no reason to deviate from my belief, do you?

Report Post Tip

Let's not resort to calling each other "son" as a petty attempt to feign dominance over the other. I know we're both better than that. 

Surely you can't jump from "No explanation, no reason, it must've been because my father was amazing with a gun!" that train of thought seems unreasonable, but I'd be obviously nit-picking at that point. 

Undeniable facts are this: No explanation, no apparent reason... Disorder arguably has no authority in CH without undermining Monsterhair. And I'll take your word that your father broke no rules. I concede this much.

But that's all... We've yet to hear explanations from either Monsterhair or Disorder. Without such, as I've said over and over, it's speculation... And despite my last response, you're asking me to speculate once again over something I know not all the information on. I'm not attempting to make you change your belief... But I'd beg anyone paying any attention to not be swayed by ONE side of the argument but rather withhold judgement until the other side has a chance to defend their actions should they see fit. And there's a very good chance they don't explain. It's been 5 days, yes? So who knows. 

I feel like you're taking my intentions all the wrong way... I do not mean to BS everything you say. I've said repeatedly were concrete evidence to be provided, I'd be willing to change my mind. My reason in doing this is solely to remind others that we don't know the ENTIRE story. We only know the side of an understandably disgruntled orphaned son... Don't think I am defending Disorder... I'm not. I'm giving you or anyone else every opportunity to agree with you WITH EVIDENCE. But you've provided none and insist on speculating. That's the moral of the story here. Don't speculate. Provide credible evidence. 

Report Post Tip
It needs said, no Godfather, and certainly not Roman, Prem or DS, have ever fallen victim to a 1% shot.

They have all, ditto Phil_Steak, been brought down by alliances and what could possibly be described as mass movements.

The 1% has no chance of actually succeeding.

That's not to say that the current regime is unassailable, for none are or ever have Bren.
Report Post Tip

It isn't a closed circle, Outcast; it has steadily expanded since it's inception.

You're right in saying that it isn't a simple endeavor to join us at the top table, but it is entirely possible to do as people have and continue to do so. 

Report Post Tip

Getting to the top of anything is always hard, LarryLongNeck - but so it being at the top, no?

Getting back to the original point of this speech, the late PeterParker just demonstrated the futility of the 1% shot...

Go to LA, if you're unhappy with the situation elsewhere - that's surely an answer to the disgruntled?

Report Post Tip

Sure, great idea! Instead of simply waiting for Disorder to shoot you for no reason, you should pay Disorder to wait until Disorder decides your gun is too large! Excellent suggestion!

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Lure of the 1% Shot
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL