Get Timers Now!
X

May 18 - 19:15:08
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Site Population Started by: Sal_Giaquinto on Jan 20, '12 04:51

So, I snooping around the site and I happened on Help/Game Stats. It's a nifty page that cites some interesting statistics about the game. One number immediately alarmed me.

Total Available Cash In Game: $920,970,683 that means an average of $1,724,664 per user (based on 534 users)

I could care less about the money, but 534 users? I could of sworn it was nearly 600+ a week or so ago. So I then decided to tally up the number of sponsored members. Did the mathematics twice. 436 sponsored members.

Referencing the statistics on the login page -> Users active in last 24 hours: 390.

So – what’s going on people?  Are these numbers cause for concern?

Courtesy: http://mafiareturns.com/war/wackstats.php

http://mafiareturns.com/news/localcrews.php

http://mafiareturns.com (When logged)

Report Post Tip

Its been a growing concern for many that the numbers are dropping. This happens though, we've had major cities killed in recent weeks, people tend to take a break when that happens to their character. You might check next month and were back over 600...or maybe not. Guess only time will tell really.

Report Post Tip

I'm not 100% sure, but it's less than 400 at certain hours. Specially at hours when I log on. (Asia time)

Report Post Tip

I suspect that as chicago and new orleans reopen more cities, the size will grow again. at this point, we're at a low point.

Report Post Tip

The total number of players is a little misleading, that includes all alive characters. When you have 6 month old crews running around, you have a very large number of inactive crewed members that just sort of sit in a crew and age (and normally dont get dealt with until the CL is pressed for space). Considering we don't have many old crews right now, there are very few crewed inactives (upwards of 100+ is what we normally run). So that that into account when looking at total members.

The better number to look at is on the login page, the number of users in last 24. This dips on the weekends, but normally is a good tell on what the active population is. A few months ago we would run 425ish as the average, now we are looking at about 400ish, so yeah it has dipped a bit. When the budget is there, we will start pursuing more advertising and try to get that back up to a nice 425-450.

Report Post Tip

Would you believe that my recent thread in the streets was just a coincidence and that I totally did not rip off your idea? :(

Squishy, would you say a decrease of 25 is something that catches your eye or it's a normal part of the fluctuation as long as it doesn't decrease more?

Report Post Tip

Any decrease is something that catches my eye :) The decreases normally follow some sort of predictable pattern... New console game releases, school starting back up, finals, sometimes its even the perception of "is it worth building up now, look at what happened to the last 25 crews" so people hang back and just wait until someone dispatches the leaders. It could be any number of things. In this case, its probably a combination of our lack of budget for advertising and the current climate in the game. Hopefully if things go well I'll be able to save up a bit and get some advertising going so that I can time it when the current climate of the game gets fixed, which should replenish and even raise our numbers over what we are used to.

Report Post Tip

Squishy, given all the cool kids have iphones and ipads, what about a an app?  Would that help numbers?

Report Post Tip

Yeah that kind of application would help me for sure :)

Report Post Tip

I've dabbled around with a droid app, but to get it to a point where its more usable than it is more frustrating will require me conquering a pretty big learning curve. With the limited hours that I can put into MR, it looks like this project is quite a bit down the road (but it is on the drawing board!)

Report Post Tip

DROID DROID DROID

Report Post Tip

Are you able to see how many NEW people are coming into the game and whether or not they are staying active? I've put this game on the back burner several times over the past few years because of the difficulty in getting assistance in learning the ropes.  If you don't have someone you already know helping you out it is easy to get discouraged. I wonder if as you send the PM from anonymous that you could reference tips on the new feature added with each rank, so that as the new people rank, thy learn another step or three. Obviously I know there are threads to read to assist, but that does get all jumbled up to someone just coming into the game, and alot of the features/rules are left out. I just wonder if this would help keep new people active and interested.

Report Post Tip

There definately is a learning curve. Maybe a visual tutorial section might come in handy.I recently brought two referals into the game. I know off the bat that one of them is going to end up on someone's kill list for going IA.

When I first joined, I benefited from my friend sitting down right next to me and guiding me through the basics, I taught myself the in-between afterward. If someone where to make some images laying out the user interface and explaining features - could we get those included on the site somewhere?

Report Post Tip

What about one of those little 'like' buttons added to the site, I'm sure plenty of facebookers here with hundreds of friends, maybe a few will then pop along to check it out when they see it liked on thier facebook?

Likewise for the google plus +1 thing?

Report Post Tip

triangle, i'm pretty sure such a thing alreaedy exists for FB. not sure about G+

Report Post Tip

Triangle, if you go to the first page ( http://mafiareturns.com/ ) you will see the FB thing.

Also, Sal. I think that is what the sponsors are for. I agree that you could make tutorials easier to understand, but I think the whole point of this place is to interact as much as possible.

Report Post Tip

The basic rules of the game are clear cut set in stone. They're easy to read and easy to understand. The user intalled rules are a bit more complicated, but a piss poor crew leader you are if you dont take time to education each new player that comes into your crew. If you're too lazy to teach new players, then have a crew member that can do it. User retention is the key to the surival of the game, but if players arnt willing to each new players, then we're doomed.

Report Post Tip

That's the thing. Half the people don't know to check the blinking envelope to read messages. As obvious as it may sound and look to us. Most of us have been playing for years.

Report Post Tip

Really, Sal? (Honest, not the sarcastic one) Have you really met several people who didn't know what to do with a blinking envelope?

tbh, and I know it may be harsh, if somebody can't even figure out a blinking envelope by themselves, I don't think we want anything to do with such a person...

Report Post Tip

I'm being honest. I don't think it's a reflection on intelligence. When a new player comes about there is critical time between the player and game, where the player decides do I want to bother with this? It could be minutes, maybe an hour. This type of game isn't for everyone, but some of the numbers lost could be alleviated by removing some of the frustration from the learning curve. Simply explaining and visually laying out the user interface. When I get some time I'll see if I can throw something together and show you what I mean.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Site Population
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL