Get Timers Now!
X

May 16 - 07:20:49
Game Suggestions
1 Watchers
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Forum Posting Perks - My take on it Started by: enkindle on Nov 29, '12 20:39

In my view, the one key problem with the idea of automatically rewarding people for posting is spam. Yeah, I know people can enforce a no spam policy but I guarantee the overall post quality with go down as the post count goes up purely because of all the people that will feel compelled to post just to earn the reward, in order to stay competitive with the other players who actually enjoy posting... That was a long sentence.

My idea is that--and let me finish before you scream "THIS IS NOT FACEBOOK" at me--we add some form of a "Like" button to each individual post. BUT when you click it, you have to PAY to like a post and that money goes to the poster and it tells the poster that a player appreciated that post. So it would go something like:

1) You click "Praise" on a post. (We can name this anything.)
2) It asks you how much (5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, whatever)
3) It asks you if you want it to be anonymous. Default option is anonymous.
4) It sends the poster the money and personal. (Including a link to the post so they know which one.)

Pros
- Encourages GOOD posts.
- Allows the users to choose what constitutes a good post.
- Will work in all forums.
- Adds and takes nothing from the overall game economy.

Cons
- You have to pay to show your love.
- Equates money to love.
- Degrades the family unit.

Report Post Tip

Oh, one other thought. We can, but don't have to, show on the post how many people have praised it. Or we could show how much money the poster earned on it. I think showing the total amount would be cool, would show people that posts do earn.

Report Post Tip

I think that this is the most original and best idea of the bunch! The idea is nothing like "facebook" you gain nothing from a facebook like except some form of popular acceptance.

PC, I'm begging you now put this one through and get it into action this is by far the best thing for the Business District. Spammers can spam all they want but they won't get anything.

enkindle, nice work man love it.

I also think it's a good idea to show the earnings of a thread/post it will give people more initiative to follow in others footsteps to also get the rewards from a good thread/post.

Report Post Tip

I have a hard time seeing whether this would work or not. I understand how it's supposed to work but I don't know if people will hand out those amounts just to praise a post. This suggestion forces people to pay for what essentially is an 'upvote' I'm not sure whether that would be something people would do. 
{people already don't want to roleplay, i have a hard time seeing people paying others for good posts. I don't think this really would be used because people already are constantly 'broke' or 'short on cash'.}
I would see this as a good addition or condition to the other BD perk threads that are going around. I don't see this as something that could stand on it's own.
{player x writes a post, you need 50k worth of 'upvotes' or whatever you want to call it to get your perk. But at the same time I don't see what would make people want to spend these sums on this. I would maybe go for a smaller range or maybe an entry value.}

Report Post Tip

I like this in theory... But who's to say people will or won't "praise" it because someone is their friend or someone they don't like?

Report Post Tip

{None of that needed to be redacted, but its fun to use, isn't it?}

The key problem with the other ideas is they are easily abused. {You cannot rely on player enforcement, only player laziness. Harsh, but sad fact.} If we used this as a way to reward players something that did not have equal cost is that groups would simply reward each other in a circlejerk for the rewards. As for where or not people would use it, I don't know, we could put in any increment we want. Start at $500. I fully believe those who actually care about RP would reward good posts.

Report Post Tip

I would send cash to anyone liked or not liked if they made a good post. Although I would probably donate more if they were someone I liked.

I think this would have to be put into action to test it out and see if it works.

Report Post Tip

What's stopping the poster from transferring 5,000,000 to a friend to praise his post with it?

Report Post Tip

Oh, sorry Cassi, I completely missed your post last time. With this system, it does not matter if its only their friends they reward? It costs them the cash they send. The point is that they can't game the system in order to get the reward given. Which would happen.

Here's how it would go if the system is entirely automated and the actual quality of posts:
-For the first 3 months a group of players is super vigilant - keeps the forums great.
-Next 3 months they are bored but still check once in a while - posts are still long, quality is shabby.
-Next 3 months with the lower quality of moderation people will let thier work slip - things get worse.
-People start doing utter crap posts just to get the reward, moderators no longer have the will power to care.
-We shut the automated rewards off.

A did, in all honesty, pull the time frame out of thin air, but the general idea is how anything that requires human moderation ends up going. The key thing you have to keep in mind is that this is a game of competition. Competition fosters asshatery in many, many people. Ff players view something as important to progressing in the game but do not like the work it takes to gain it, they will do the minimal work involved to get it.

I do understand that there would always be those few who would do quality posts regardless, that I can't deny. But those people are already doing good posts, and are not the ones we are targeting here.

Report Post Tip

I like this system, provided the *only* benefit they got was the money from the people that like their post.

If people are rewarded for the amount they get, it will only lead to abusing of that for people to get an easy perk.

I also would prefer if the amount of times someone has been paid and the amount was to be invisible to everyone. The only way of knowing should be if you are the poster, and you receive money for it.

Report Post Tip

I don't know about it being private. The goal is to encourage people to post. Seeing that people get rewarded, does just that.

I had discussed with someone the idea of making keywords that you can choose to give the person "Well Written", "Hilarious", "Brutal", "Nice Effort", ect. And you can choose which ones to give them, each has a cost (that can be determined later, the person paying could maybe choose, I don't know.) that goes to the poster. We would show something like a small "Praise x7" for each post and if you mouse over it would show something like "Hilarious x3, Brutal x4".

Report Post Tip

I love this.  Whitey, I would give use it.  Many times I have wanted to praise people who hae posted certain things, but politics have kept me from being able to do so in any sort of public fashion.  Im not saying I will give anyone millions for a post, but 10k or something, im completely for it. 

also, why is all this stuff being redacted again?

Report Post Tip

Nothing important was redacted, we were continuing a private conversation in a rather odd place. I think Whitey was just having fun with a new toy. {It's fun after all.} Now, you have no choice but to be curious as hell.

I was thinking if we gave the player the option of how much to pay, it could be from $500 to $100k or something like that.

Report Post Tip

{It really is fun, and you are quite evil. Love it.}

I guess you're right about being able to see the incentive. With that being said, would it be possible to make it so that the person receiving the payment doesn't know who it's from? I just feel that sometimes people will make comments that the people liking it don't want others to know that they do. Kind of like being able to send an anonymous mail saying that they really liked the comment, but can't show it publicly for fear of retribution.

Report Post Tip

I agree with DeadlySin on this one, I think that the money you get from a praise should be just that...the money someone gets from a praise is enough.

This is a long shot idea but think about it... How about if for threads the user submitting the thread could charge people to view it. I'm not talking big amounts but something along the lines of 5k,10k limit. So if you want; to read a city newspaper you would have to pay some cash to view it; enter a bar or nightclub you would have to pay to enter.

I think that if that was incorporated into it that would make people want to create their own threads and it would make the other users curious. I just mean the option to do it, not that every thread has to be paid to view.

That along with user rewards for your effort would certaintly bring some users out of the woodwork to gain that little bit of cash, every small amount counts.

Report Post Tip

Also if people liked that idea, I would reccomend the user having to reach a certain criteria before they were allowed to charge for threads. Possibley having to reach a certain amount of Threads/Posts first or do it by rank.

Report Post Tip

Charging people to view threads would only discourage people from visiting... exactly the opposite of what we want ;)

Report Post Tip

DS, I believe, don't quote me on it, that my original idea included optional (and default on) anonymity.

Eh, Annie, that's not a bad idea, but in my opinion completely separate from mine. You might start a thread on it.

Report Post Tip

Sorry but I have to disagree with theory entirely. I beleive that the object or rather the theory of objectivity of opinion should be free of any cost or limitation and the fact that someone might agree or dis-agree with it is of equal importance.  

Whether the opinion is long (winded) or not does not necassarily decrease the value of that persons opinion.  There will always be people that will take advantage of the way a system is set up to run.  

This is just my opinion!

Report Post Tip

I don't see what opinion has to do here? This is generic, for any and every post. And there is nothing to take advantage of? Nothing is gained that another player doesn't have to pay.

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Forum Posting Perks - My take on it
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL