Get Timers Now!
X

May 05 - 13:05:01
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Wrong forum? Started by: Noble on May 28, '15 23:54

I was wondering about the stories of role playing going on in the streets lately, should we define what should go on in the streets? I believe the streets is a sacred place for mafia men and women. I believe the streets should have deep meaning for the game such as a family being taken out or a role played discussion about a hit that is currently going on. I am all for a little bit of role playing but as long as it has to do with the game and the actual people. I find it annoying dissecting which is which, I keep thinking that all these people going up to talk are going to say something very important about the game, and then it turns out it is  fake story role playing about a shooting or drug dealing that has nothing to do with the game itsself. I just think it would be nice to have this defined, I believe that story role playing should go in the Outside forum or atleast its own forum. But I would like to know what you members of this community think on this and if we could have a discussion on it.  

Report Post Tip

like this at the top of the page "This Forum Is For 100% 1930's Role Play (AKA Streets)"?

Report Post Tip

The Streets are used for both discussions about events that have occurred in the game, as well as for players to explore their character by crafting stories concerning being a mobster in the 1930’s.

Not only is this part of the game, it is the very essence of the game. We play to entertain ourselves as a mobster and written role-play is the most personal way to express this.

Report Post Tip
So where other than the streets should people role play? The streets are the main role play forum are they not? It says so at the top of the forum.

This Forum Is For 100% 1930's Role Play (AKA Streets)

There's also this... https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/10433 that I found under the Help menu.
Clearly stated in that thread is this:

STREET

The STREET forum is for IC dialogue that references IG materials. The STREET forum is the ultimate forum for street debates, RP adventures and stories, and IC announcements.

How much more defined do you want it to be?
Report Post Tip

I would want it more defined tiggy. Yeah it has Role playing adventures but it should be used in context to the game. Explore adventures in role playing such as make up stories for lets say a celebration for a new Godfather. Or the way a lot of leader are doing a great job in is the Made Man promotion role play. It impacts the game and makes it fun and stays in line. These rp made up stories should be moved to another forum and I do not see how people don't see the difference in role playing for the game and making up the stories. Honestly I believe leaders are making post and thread requirements and thus people are making stories and filling the streets with garbage. Although it is only a guess, but there really should be a difference in role playing for the game and role playing to make up stories. I mean we are the consumers of the game wouldn't you guys just like a special forum for story role playing, it would make everyone happy, role players get to role play and the streets are used for in game context matter so we all know what is being written is important in the streets thus giving it more value. 

Report Post Tip
Would I like to divide the central forum on a game that suffers from an extreme lack of role play most of the time into two which would likely result in less forum activity in the role play forums? No, no I would not like to see that happen.

Too many forums = confusion as to where what goes = more intimidation = less community exposure = less activity.

We have two role play forums, one for role play stories and events as well as the Business District where bars and such are located. The daily lives of our characters are a part of the game in my opinion, even if you see it is a frivolous and unwelcome, others do not share that opinion and welcome some role play to otherwise dead Streets at times. This is one way that the "Role Players" and the "No, that's not my thing" people can have one place that is central to the community.

You aren't forced to read a thread past the first paragraph. You can click that "View All Threads" link at any time if it isn't about something that you feel is integral to the game. If all you want to read is the rare auth thread, why we shot so and so thread, Jo Blow got GF woohoo thread then click those links.

I rarely role play these days as I can't commit myself to being there to keep a thread up and running beyond the initial post.

Segregating the Rants/Raves/Auth/GF/Whine/Complain threads and the true role play stories would be a huge mistake.
Report Post Tip

Well thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, I now see another aspect for this discussion. I still don't see why the streets can't be used to have valuable and thought out threads. Not just the auth or GF promotion etc. Thats what makes the streets special and thread points and post points count. Plus the RP forum should not count towards posts. A street presence would be an old guarded block in little Italy where mafia people go on with their daily business and thus use the streets to say something with value. I don't see why less street presence is a bad thing, I believe in quality than quantity, I honestly hate the role playing stories and think it is filling the streets up with garbage like a land fill and someone needs to put a stop to it because it is taking the badassness of the game. This game especially the original was cut throat, business, this is suppose to be the mafia and about real discussions on wars and other important issues. People can be creative enough to put in effort to make an interesting aspect in the street, and to substitute that with junk is not acceptable.  Also just because people want to does not make it right, it takes the awesomeness of the game. We are thugs, and we should act with respect towards that by keeping our class to a high standard. Honestly it makes the people who role play fake stories look like fucking loosers and anyone that does not agree is either a liar or really dosnt see how much harm it brings to such an awesome game. Keep it hood in the streets is how it should be.

Report Post Tip

Well I saw a mention of a thread post regulation for ranks. It is not the case with me. I write because I want to. Perhaps you don't enjoy my stories but others do. Perhaps I don't enjoy everyone else's stories but I like to know there is more than just the auth threads. While you believe those and GF threads etc are most important, I can't get on board with that. Having seen two threads per auth it sometimes grinds my gears.. Do I whine about it? Nope because I do see everyone else's points on it.

I like to see the creative side as I do the discussions. I like to know that if someone is authed there will be a thread so that we know they aren't rogues. I like all the aspects that the streets have. I do not see the need to separate them.

I like the character stories. We take the time to build our characters as we want them to be within the community. This is neat, this is fun and this can be amusing to watch.

I really don't see the big issue you have with it. Other than you think that an RP forum shouldn't have any actual RP in it.

Report Post Tip

Hmm it does bug me on the level that I want this game as cool as can be. It's like eye candy to see cool crazy stuff on the street not just random stories to fill up my time. Mafia is a dark ally, what do you think this game is suppose to represent? I will admit that the level of action has decreased incredibly thus I can see how you believe the streets are bare bone and somewhat of a mafia radio station where you tune in on what went down..    The streets are a place of great creativity and it is hard to make a good post, the reason for this is because it represents the role playing action of getting infront of people and speaking to them in the streets where mobsters fill the side walks. The words being said should be of value to the mobsters in the area. Although the topics are vast and should not be cut short to being a mafia radio, discussions seem to be the main point in the streets but that can be hard and pointless.. This is what makes the street special, is that fact that it is difficult, also most things that take hard work usually have a good outcome; what you put in is what you get out. This is where I believe leader should be encouraged to help a member with threads on the streets because it does take hard work. Think about what would be valuable enough to say because my character in the streets represents a mobster going out and speaking to other mobsters. The words should be of value to lets say a real Al Capone in the 30's. I don't think that man would want to hear about a fake robbery or a story time about a robbery. The streets is where you are almost judged for what you put up and being judged is how it should be. Like I said earlier that if people want their fun they should, I have no problem with it but it should be done in an appropriate forum, also people can practice like you said with the story telling but let the practice be at another forum where points dont get added up or it does not take up peoples time and dissecting what is important and what is a fake story. Like I said the streets is where people get up to talk to other mobsters almost in a mass like a presidential speech, it can also have a bit of role playing as long as it is game related to point out what they are talking about such as the Boss left the HQ or the bodyguards surrounding the Boss etc.  My advice is patience, wars should happen and important issues will arise and cool threads that people put in hard work will catch your eye. Also you could always view the rp forum if you are bored and want to see people blossom like you said, but the streets should be sacred, have the leaders help in postings, also make it cut throat fun again and have the mafia attitude of somewhat of a swagger of coolness. Jut remember that if the streets judge what people say, and people make up pointless stories most of the times than thats how they will be judged like a crazy guy going up and telling stories like an old school book club  where they gather around. Honestly though the streets should be voice of value not just a place to hear yourself talk. People are not doing the game a favor neither thinking they need to post something because the streets are "slow". Let it be, it is hard to post and thus makes a thread posted all the more wild to see what value this person has to bring to the table. Quality over Quantity and if people still wanted to role play well they still would have one extra forum for that. I give the streets the respect it deserves and I only use it to call on other mobsters when I want them to see my side of an opinion or something in game went down. If people are being judged they really need to make an effort to appeal to all mobsters because they are being judged and a pointless story will be judged accordingly and in the streets that could mean death considering you are making the family you represent look like a fool.

Report Post Tip
Please, utilize paragraphs. Word walls are bad.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

You're right, thank you for that Marcus.

Report Post Tip

Honestly it makes the people who role play fake stories look like fucking loosers and anyone that does not agree is either a liar or really dosnt see how much harm it brings to such an awesome game.

a pointless story will be judged accordingly and in the streets that could mean death considering you are making the family you represent look like a fool.

Why can't you show some respect to players who enjoy the game differently to you? You can have an opinion without being insulting.

Nobody here has been disrespectful towards you. It really is unnecessary. 

I started playing the original mafia way back in 2002. There are some still here today that started earlier. I am sure they will agree with me when I say that there has always been a place for this kind of role-play in The Streets. It has never caused harm to the game. It belongs there, regardless whether it is not to your personal taste.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

You are right as well Kazimir and I apologize as well. To anyone offended I apologize. I have realized that on this game people tend to just shut down others. For a game suggestion or a new suggestion for example, people will be like naw it sucks without reading the thread or even putting in their part and they just spewing what they want said and then to go home. I guess I over reacted here but at the same time I might have just been upset at a part of the game that I feel is bring down this game that I think is really good. Your right Kazimir I just over thought from previous experiences, and im sorry on that part, but like I said its becuase I care about the game. I think alot of people are role playing because they are bored. Lets say war was going on all the time on here, there would be real stuff to talk about in the streets and everywhere. 

Since we play in a new generation style the game slowed down alot. Killings only occur when a mistake has been made by the other families and the whole point is to camp it out until the moment. I played at a time when the game was about pure domination. War every day and the streets were filled with cool stuff. I just miss that, and would like to see it again. But I believe that I wanted to see it again so bad I might have said some words that offended role players. Again im sorry I didnt mean it, it would just be cool to see yall have your own forum and I would read it why not, it just separates the streets (importance) to rp (entertainment) 

Report Post Tip
War every day? Streets filled with "cool" stuff? Sure, when was this?

There have been periods of upheaval in the past, but they have always lead to a time of stability or, as some call it, stagnancy. Skip back to the first days of this place in the Street forums and read forward from there. You will see the cyclical momentum of this game in all of its glory. You will see war threads, auth threads, newspapers, beauty contests, conspiracy theories, you name it. You'll see seriousness and completely inane behaviour. All of these things make this world what it is today.

Tell me this. When you walk down a busy street in a big city do you see people smiling, having fun, taking a break from their work lives or school lives? Do you see people laughing and eating an ice cream or window shopping? Or is everyone heads down only doing stuff related to work or school? Grey suits and fedoras trudging along, stopping long enough to exchange words about the best drug prices, So-and-so getting a promotion, watching TripleXXX get shot by xXxBigDong420xXx?

Variety isn't a bad thing and it shouldn't be shunned, made worthless, and hidden.
Report Post Tip

Your right tiggy it shouldn't be shunned. But don't you prefer the streets to be about the game the is going on currently? Role playing should be done as part of the game, but making up stories would be what it is just story telling. Also the streets is where people represent their families, a Wise Guy and down has no true power in voice and can be killed off. A Made and above would incite more conflict with all parties involved. So if we are being judged on our words and it is being taken as an imaginary mafia street where mobsters meet up in, why would story telling be allowed if it is representing reality. Its like oh cool look story tellers but in the street serious matter such as death is being taking place and these people are acting out stories of death. If it is the real mafia death is a topic to not talk about unless necessary. So why should this be allowed for entertainment in the streets? 

What I suggested is a forum we can call theater- Act it out there. It would avoid confusion and you can go straight to RP. The only reason for this is that it takes away the meaning of being on the "streets".  Its a win win, streets are left for serious issues and theater could be for not so important fun issues. A wedding or drug dealing role play would fit perfectly, I dont think anything is wrong with the rp stories, but it should be put in a proper place.

Report Post Tip

The point that tiggy is trying to make is... Go back 558 pages in the streets. You don't even have to read the threads. Just read the titles. And you will see, that since the creation of the streets, they have been used for anything and everything under the sun. That's been the way of life. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. If you don't like the other stuff in the street, no one is forcing you to read it. Those "irrelevant" topics as you call them, have entertained the majority of the site for years. In fact, you're the first person in 6 years that I've personally encountered to say the streets should be separated into something else.

Report Post Tip

Depends on the Story Noble. I see stories as role play of what the character has done. Anything can and will happen in the streets, as Tiggy said, from the silliest of the Silly... I remember one particular thread about 'New moo' or some such product that was being offered to the masses, right up to Auth threads, Hey look at me I'm a Godfather threads and Hey bub I just fucked your city/crew threads. That insane jumble is what makes Mafia Returns, Mafia Returns, and as much as I dislike some of the more inane threads, I personally wouldn't have it any other way.

Report Post Tip

Do you also not believe the game evolves? Godfather is now chairman, and who knows yes Role playing possibly was allowed but I believe in times of war always going on they are kept at a low level. Now when everyones bored its filled with RP stories. No that is not what this game is about, it is about role playing for the game. Yes role playing for the game, not role playing to make a story and fill up time. If war was constant than these streets would be different right now, but considering it is extremely slow in todays era role playing fills the streets and in honesty it is hurting the game. You guys might find rp fun, but others and I believe many others that would rather stay in the shadows like a true mobster hate fake made up role playing that has nothing to do with the game. What would be so bad in having its own place for it, also the title is deceiving I get excited and then realize it is a fake story.

The game changes and that is okay that is why it is good to have discussions in the streets or occ. Lets evolve this game to make it better. Okay so you guys want to keep  fake story RP well lets make a special place so everyone doing that can do that. I think it is best to seperate them becuase you see what is serious and what is not. They are being mixed and it makes the game less serious to take. I picture honestly people telling stories in the streets becuase it is what that represents. Just have a new forum for it, yall win by doing it and making it easier to find, and some other people win by not seeing this stuff posted where things are suppost to be serious. 

Again I understand the rise in fake rp, its bordem. If wars were being fought the streets need to be for important issues, but since peace runs the game the streets mean almost nothing now. Godfather is now chairman, I becuase now a Godfather isnt the ruler it very weird, why not just have a godfather be the chairman and let those other guys be dons. I understand how it gets off track its natural as the game goes through out time but I think it is our responsibility to put it back or on a bad ass track

Report Post Tip
Your right tiggy it shouldn't be shunned. But don't you prefer the streets to be about the game the is going on currently? Role playing should be done as part of the game, but making up stories would be what it is just story telling.

No. I would not prefer that at all. Not at all.

the streets is where people represent their families

EXACTLY!!! That's the point!

You don't get it. Nothing you are proposing HELPS the game. It doesn't promote role playing. It doesn't promote the serious threads. It complicates things that don't need to be complicated. You want it to be just like other games and the problem with that is that this isn't one of the other games. This is Mafia Returns.

Report Post Tip

Than it makes no sense, so the streets are a place to talk to mobsters or are they a portal to a role playing story? It conflicts with the original design , yeah if you are representing your family than going to a street and starting a random story would make you look crazy. Plus it makes the people who put in real effort to role play for the game mean nothing. I say that because it is difficult to tie both game and role playing, thus threads and points were valued although they shouldnt.  Role playing takes away the fun of the game, in many ways from street being ment for real discussions to thread/post points being off the chart thus making it harder to see whos a good writer/ possible good leader.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Wrong forum?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL