Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 20 - 09:17:27
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Decline of the Streets; A Crew Leader's Duty Started by: Brand on Jan 16, '18 20:15

My name is Brand, and I come from the family Brand.  Some people call me Double B, but you call me Brand, or Double B.

I am here because the Streets are so quiet and so little fun.  It isn't nice to see.  I walk down the Streets and nobody is really speaking.

Why is this?  I think I know, and I am going to tell all of you and then I am going to make a suggestion.

The Streets are quiet because there is no money in Street speaking any more.  People don't make money from it because nobody really tips any more.  So the Speakers don't have any money.  And it takes them time to speak, time that they could spend making money doing other things.

So, we have Streets that are quiet because people can't afford to speak there.

So, what do we have to do?

Well, we need rich people to give the Street speakers money for speaking on the Streets.

Who has the most money?  The leader's of crew and families in cities have the most money!

So, I think that the leaders, with all of their money, should be giving some really big tips.  

I will say that again, the leaders should be making BIG money tips to the speakers on the Streets.

That means more people will be speaking and the Streets will be great again.

Can we all make sure that the Leaders start making big tips to the Speakers?

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $320,000 Tip

I have always believed that people should speak in the streets when they feel comfortable enough. When they have something they wish to share or say. But never have I ever felt that they should be bribed to be in the streets.

Do people tip? Some of us do. Sometimes we don't.  I really don't think that this is something that should be forced.

You feel the streets are quiet? Bring something to the table. In this you have brought a discussion. Perhaps people will pick up on it and speak up, but I don't expect that people should be lining my pockets because I chose to show my face.

Report Post Tip

Me when I lose all my money gambling

Report Post Tip

Thank you for your reply, Cheery, the point is that we have to bring more to this and that means that those that have a lot of money should pay people who are trying to make something for the people to make happiness across the cities and that means share and share alike with people that speak on the streets.

Report Post Tip

You make the assumption leaders have a lot of money. Do you realize everything they have to pay for?

Competitions (If their family runs them at all)

Bodyguards for themselves, and then for other members of their families (If they so choose to do so)

Hitlists (Some people have seen large amounts with their names on them)

If their member doesn't follow the rules this can result in them having to compensate someone at some point in time.

I am sure there are other examples but these are off the top of my head.

There is plenty of places a leaders money goes to. Not every single leader is sitting on millions upon millions of dollars.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

"I have to agree with Don Cherry on this.  I and many from my city speak in the streets and businesses often and I think that trend will continue with or without payment!  We don't do it for tips... though I can't say I'd ever reject them (it's really a nice compliment to be paid for what I share)... we do it because we enjoy it."

"Recently a crew leader from LA reached out to me and invited me to sit down and discuss business with her and her associates... this brought us out to the streets and it's little things like that that really get things going.  Also, planning out jobs - working out and resolving issues from one's past... these things can get folks excited to come to the streets and tell their own tales."

"While I appreciate your sentiment and encourage people to tip, I have to say Don Cherry has the right of it... people will come to the streets when they have something to say and if we make a requirement of paying everyone to speak here then the quality of what's being said may suffer."

Frankie-Messina, thanks for your reply but can you please not respond again?  This is for the leaders of the crews only to talk, except for me, because I started it

Report Post Tip

"I'd also like to stand behind what Don Cherry has said about funds as well.  The truth is that running a crew is far more costly than most people realize because, well, most people haven't run a crew!  If you think your leadership is sitting on funds and not putting it back into this thing of ours - chances are you're probably wrong.  Go to them as politely as possible, and ask about the matter.  Many crew leaders are all too ready to admit that, if anything, they are flat broke not rich beyond imagining."

Frankie shakes her head, "I can understand why people make the assumption that there is a lot of cash to be flung around when they pay so much in taxes, but the truth is, that money spends REALLY fast and is gone before you realize."

Frankie-Messina, thanks for your reply but can you please not respond again?  This is for the leaders of the crews only to talk, except for me, because I started it

"Sure thing."  Tips her hat and walks away.

Brand, anyone can speak up here in the streets. It is an open venue for thoughts, opinions and ideas.

I would appreciate it if you had a bit of respect for everyone's thoughts not just a select group of people. Never know when good ideas come up and from where.

Sorry Cheery, I don't know what happened to the manners there.

Frankie-Messina, I am very sorry for excluding you and I am glad that you are here and would lov you to speak.

I do not really know much about being a leader except that they have lots of money, lots of money to pay for things that they want and that they need so this is relaly a  useful tool for me to develop and learn and build as a person.

Report Post Tip

With one eyebrow raised up, Requiem questions the train of thought Brand has.

"You don't have the right to demand anyone to tip others nor do you have the right to tell anyone they can't speak when they have something on their mind. These are the streets, anyone can say what they want to say when they want to say it."

Requeim shakes his head at the thought.

"I myself will tip to creativity and great ideas. If you want to make money in the streets, you better start getting more creative than demanding people be tipped for saying random things in the streets."

Report Post Tip

Tony listens to Brand as he speaks about the streets while also finding a similar written message being delivered to him....

Well I understand many of your points, although a bit much to have to read them twice. But there have been some points that have been made here that I agree with in part. Some Crew Leaders are not made of money whether they've been around for a while or just set up yesterday like myself.

At the center of your argument I can agree that the streets can be very quiet at times. Now I don't think it is entirely the job of Crew Leaders to monetarily boost street activity. I do think that possibly some Crew Leaders could become more active themselves in the streets. But again it can be very time consuming to try to write out something that is well thought when you have so many other responsibilities. 

Maybe there are options as a community we can explore to work on street activity. I just cannot sit here and agree that people who already have very large bills to pay must be pushed to generously tip every writer. I have read in my ancestors journal entries and found that street activity has always fluctuated even before the ability to tip a writer came about. So I urge you to possibly come up with a solution that is not just demanding Crew Leaders to pay all those who are active in the streets.

Tony lights a cigar and heads on his way.

Hearing a conversation that sparked his interest Insomnia walks over waiting for his turn to speak, stretching his arms out he lets out a yawn as he hadn't slept the night prior. Almost half feeling asleep listening he's quickly awoken hearing some young gangster shooing away a Capo for not being a crew leader. Sighing he shakes his head stepping forward.

And people such as yourself wonder why others don't venture out into the streets? I understand what your trying to get at with your speech but I don't think limiting others on freely speaking in the streets will help what your looking for...

Secondly I don't think money is the issue here. I feel there have always been those folks who specialize in certain areas and tend to stick with it such as being a writer or public speaker, earning money, becoming a hitter. At times we find those people who can do it all and often they are the ones who take the reigns leading their own families. 

So I don't feel money is necessarily what is stopping people from speaking, if they wanted the money then they would be hustling and grinding for every penny they could. If they wanted to propose their business idea or speak freely in the streets then I imagine they would without expecting some sort of reward.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip
What happens then if the leaders decide to bring the streets to life. Who's going to tip them or do they just tip each other? Also how would you know crew leaders have millions of dollars like you said you have never been in that position so how would you know what sort of financial state there in.
Report Post Tip

Yes. The streets have been horribly quiet since the disappearance of @FearlessJ. 

Report Post Tip

Sully's brow was arched, completely befuddled by the audacity of the one calling himself Brand. With a slight chuckle, the slender man decided to step up and take a chance (even though he wasn't a leader, and his own cousin had been asked to be quiet on the matter).

"You know... I don't know any leader who looks at someone and thinks 'I should prove myself to this nobody!'"

He shook his head,  "You want to make money? Earn it. Demanding compensation for something that you do anyway? That's not a good way to make people like you, buddy. Also, if you wanna earn in the streets? I suggest you make yourself more known. This is the first I've ever heard of you. You're talkin' about people not being active out here? Lead by example... Don't sit on your laurels for nineteen days and decide you wanna speak up about something that you've got no knowledge of. Be a leader, make a change. Don't expect someone else to do it for you. Not all leaders come in the form of a Crew Leader... Trust me."

Sully shrugged and turned away. "And don't worry, I won't barge myself into your conversation again."

Report Post Tip

Shaggs listened intently from the side of the conversation, sipping his whiskey from his flask a few times taking everything in. It was an interesting topic. He wasn't quite sure he agreed with the initial assessment but he wanted to join in regardless as the streets were something he valued greatly.

Brand, I really do appreciate you bringing this point to attention of people. I think your heart is in the right place but I do think the method you're choosing to help restore the streets is probably not the best way to go about it.

I would argue that the streets are actually in the midst of a massive resurgence. There are speeches that people can interact with on almost a daily basis and you can join in with most any time you want. Tipping should be used as a manner to support an idea or a thought. I think if we start throwing money around it really takes away from what the streets are all about. Those who want to participate can and will. I encourage my family to be active in the streets and business districts and we have seen our business grow from that activity tremendously.

With time and effort the streets will return to their glory days, who knows, maybe they'll surpass it!

Walking down the street Bearzy overhears an odd conversation on the street. Thinking about it for a few moments Bearzy finally says

You know youre idea isnt terrible, however, it shouldnt be forced. You see to tip a person is a thankyou for good writing, or a token of gratitude if you will. To say that CL's should tip everyone to encourage people to post in the streets seems counter intuitive, as the conversations would be less genuine and more of just there to make a few bucks. That all being said I would encourage you to work your way up and lead us by example!

Marie listened to all the thoughts that were being shared.  It was important in her opinion to for the young to listen to those who had wisdom.  She for one wanted to soak up wisdom like a parched sponge.  When finally she did speak, it was with words she had given much time and consideration too. 

"I appreciate the heart of this matter and that so many are choosing to take time out of their busy schedules to discuss an import aspect of this thing of ours.  The one thing that I have noticed on these shores, is that relationship is everything.  You see, I do tip when I see or hear something good on these streets.  That said, most of my time is spent teaching and mentoring the next generation; as well as, reaching out and networking.  I rarely spend time looking and listening to things that happen on the streets unless it relates somehow to my crew or friends.  There is just simply not enough hours in the day to do everything.  So my suggestion, if you want my attention you have to do something that will draw me in.  Approach me about a business venture, or a crime you want to organize.  Then you will have my attention... and my tip when you show me your creativity and hard work."

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Decline of the Streets; A Crew Leader's Duty
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL