Get Timers Now!
X

May 11 - 12:11:26
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Seriously, who are you here for Started by: PrinceofCheese on Jan 17, '08 12:29
A fine blue approaches the courtyard

**Female mafiosos all over begin to lick their lips as if "The Cheddar" was melting in their mouthes**

"Shit, that portable heater is too close"

The Cheddar readjusts to prevent his leg from melting even further

**The women continue licking their lips, perhaps it was nothing to do with the melting, heh**

Friend, mafioso, countrymen, lend me your ears!

I look upon my fellow criminals and today I feel a growing sense of frustration.

"Why fine cheddar, why are you frustrated our prince" - Shout the already engrossed crowd.

Well, friends I feel a growing concern that you are all here for yourselves. A developing sensation that each man here is unto themselves, showing no regard for La Famiglia, respect and honour. It seems that we forget that it is within family that we are strong, it is within family that we must earn our stripes, our promotions.

Daily I see civilians coming into our world begging bosses for money, bodyguards, instant promotions and all sort of devotive behaviour. For me this is incomprehendable. Surely one should be working themselves to the bone before they even dare speak to the boss and ask for anything. In fact the ways of old would say that we should ask nothing of the boss and give all merely hoping for a morsel of respect in gratitude.

One should be asked by your leader for auth, asked by leader for promotion and asked by your leader for bodyguards or money. Our leaders are given the opportunity and respect to lead our world as they are supposed to be smarter, stronger and more intuitive than other mafioso out there. They can make these decisions and choices based on whether you deserve it. Not whether you nag the fuck out of their mailbox.

Am I saying that friends and family bonds can not translate into an easier run with your children, no of course not but for christ sake show some respect and honour and wait for your moment instead of devaluing yourself through petty, plebian beggary.

Maybe I'm wrong? Are the ways of old lost on us? Should leaders respect us for volume of mobmail rather than quality of work?

You tell me, because the way people are starting to act around here seems to make me think that maybe the old morals could be enforced a little more stringently or perhaps I'm just so far out of touch I need to get off my high horse?

The Cheddar pauses

Well? Are you here to serve yourself or are you here to work for your leader and earn the right to even consider your own well fare?
Report Post Tip
I agree with you Mr.Cheese.

I see many low ranking and high ranking mafioso only looking out for themselves. If this was an ideal world no matter who they were if they complained to the Boss about a promotion or whatever it may be they would be gotten rid of.

This is just blatant disrespect to the Boss, basically saying to him or her "You don't know what your doing,You don't deserve to be the Boss."
Report Post Tip
What's the world coming to when you agree with cheese.

*sighs*

You pretty much nailed Mr. Cheese.

I have nothing more to say but... do you come in American or Swiss? :)
Report Post Tip
I'm glad it's not just me that feels as though we're falling into the abyss, my churned friend.

If you'll allow an old man an indulgence, I'd like to take a trip down memory lane. When I was here, many years ago, there were people whom I disagreed with, I only shared a similar viewpoint with a minority. That is to be expected I feel; in our thing such diversity is commonplace. That being said, with those I disagreed with, I was always able to empathise; more often than not, I could see where they were coming from.

No more, I have returned, and already in this short time frame, the decorum of some has me totally baffled. Not one to accept defeat lightly, I have tried to discern where people are coming from but, and this is no exaggeration, I am truly flummoxed. I find myself totally unable to understand this attitude which is shared by the majority, seemingly.

Only yesterday I was in the coffeeshops when I overheard someone casually mention how they asked for auth. Whilst I do hate to harp on about the 'good old days', such a brazen attitude would have your mother crying in no time at all.

The way I see it, looking out for yourself is nothing to be ashamed of, it is a basic instinct and it has been happening since the year dot. What is new, however, is this attitude that asking for something equates to deserving it, there is something fundamentally wrong with that.
Report Post Tip
Sometimes when somethinmg is Chessy it's wrong. But not this time. You are absolutly right. Protect the family and they in turn the family protects you. I help my family out whenever it is needed then myself.

Btw, I love some fresh Mozzarella cheese. Do you have some?
Report Post Tip
You could not be more right! In fact you are so right that if you were any more right it would be wrong. All joking aside I agree. The sad part is that the old days you speak of were that long ago.
Report Post Tip
You're wrong Cheese-o.

Sorry, too many people agreeing with you, it can't be healthy.

Your cheadese will doubtlessly explode.
Report Post Tip
Moje steps out of the shadows, where he has been standing for a while. He didn't hesitate.

Even though he knew that another agreement wasn't nessecarily needed, he thought that he might have something else to add,

since he were new to this world. He spoke up, calm and clear.

I have only been in this world for a few days so far, but as you mention, many people act rude and respectless.

Maybe, just maybe som arrangement should be made. As i'm not sure how it is at this moment, i can not tell if this is already so,

or that my suggestion actually is new.

The God Father. The family head, should have the right to have anyone executed, that belongs to his family.

He should also, with no consequences, be able to kill those who beg him for money or even just annoying him, after they have had an warning.

If the person happens to be part of another persons family, I believe that the one leader, should speak to the other. And the consequence,

should be death.

- Moje
Report Post Tip
Howard understands where the speaker is coming from and prepares to say his piece

I am here to serve my family,as otherwise i have nothing to work for and nothing to contribute to and help the family grow.
Report Post Tip
Just to play the devils advocate here....

Are the families putting in enough work into each individual member to warrant mutual respect?

Should the family heads also have to prove their worth to the members on a daily basis?

If a family uses its members just a source of slave labor and treats "the non clique" members as numbers.... wouldn't the favor be returned?

When I feel that I am 100% backed by my family, and 100% supported, and that I know without a doubt that when push came to shove, my family would have my back... then I too would return the favor. I think this is a two way street there one side of the road is well worn and the other.. well.. it starting to sprout weeds because its rarely driven on.
Report Post Tip
I await the arrival of GotPong then Squishmondo...

However one must earn the right of backing and in fact should one not expect to be little more than a slave as a civilian? He has not proven himself to La Famiglia, why should a hypothetically leader (as obv you are not speaking about anyone in particular back that person.

Only made men make traditional vows of loyalty to the boss so before any mafioso has provem themselves to this value outside of "clique loyalty" then why would one have their back?

Sure, if you think they are correct in any scenario then of course follow through but let's not take the high road here and claim that each leader needs to nurture and nudge each one of their diciples from day 1?

You get what you give no? Which is not to say we have the finest leaders of all time at present (maybe we do?) but that's a different argument eh.
Report Post Tip
Squishy, why don't you rank up first...yada yada...quit crying...yada yada...show some respect...yada yada, then go against the flow. Oh. He's a god you say? Oops.

Oh, and PrinceOfCheese, you don't always get what you give. There's a lot of people putting a lot of work in that goes unnoticed. Respect is a two way street, and it shouldn't be reserved just for oldtime cliques and those currently in power.
Report Post Tip
Why does it go unnoticed Cronus?

Give me an example...

Are we saying because a leader or senior member does not recognise the work or because they are doing pointless work?
Report Post Tip
This is what irks me. I have seen Earners with +1,000,000 in Earnings and have 90 posts and they still stay as just that... an Earner. This game right now is championed by the cliques (seeing as 4-5th of the people who are leaders right now come from Oliver - and the other is from an old Clique.) So, I ask of you, why do these people not get what they deserve?

Should these people (and i've seen about 15 of them now) stay devoted to there Leaders?

If they should... then why?

I still don't understand it. I don't think anything you say will make me understand it. Please... try.
Report Post Tip
(seeing as 4-5th of the people who are leaders right now come from Oliver - and the other is from an old Clique.)

What I mean by this is that these people really didn't do anything "great". but, they're still at the top. The funny thing is (i find this part really funny) that 3 of them have been "good" freinds with Oliver on the IRC. Last time I checked... the IRC isn't part of this game. Yet, it is probally the biggest part of this game.

(I'm not counting Alferi, but instead RonMexico, who then gave the family that Oliver gave him to RonMexico.)
Report Post Tip
What sort of "great" thing should thses people have done then?
Report Post Tip
I have no reason WHY it goes unnoticed honestly.

Zoinks just said what I would say. For example, I happened to become a Made guy as quick as one can. I think I worked hard and I know I was recognized for that hard work, however, since becoming Made, I've had no fewer than 10 letters pass through my mailbox asking what my "trick" was. These letters came from guys that have been around a lot longer than I have, and guys that clearly spend a lot of time earning for their families.

Now, I've heard the excuse that some people just aren't active in the streets enough, and thusly, they don't deserve their ranks. Bullshit, I say. Someone willing to work hard for their family should be recognized for that work. Some aren't comfortable speaking in public, for example, and yet, do they work any less hard for their family?

So, no, things aren't always a two way street here. You don't always get what you give. A lot of people give a lot of time, effort, loyalty, respect, etc., and in turn are rewarded by "Sorry, there's no 'button' for you" or "Sorry, I know you're a hard worker, but I have someone else in mind for the Entertainment Director position. He happens to be an old friend of mine, so ignore the fact he's only a Gangster".
Report Post Tip
Cronus whilst I accept the side of the argument you are coming from I just don't feel it's valid enough.

The friends vs family issue is a different question so let's not dwell too much on that. But is self promotion and advertising not part of the whole process?

I'd be very interested to hear from people who have been rejected in the way you mention? Did they follow up and ask their leader how they could improve their process? Did they try and figure out how to develop their network so as to leverage contacts next time round? Or did they just sit and sulk and say "the clique has triumped once again"
Report Post Tip
Why should someone that works extremely hard have to be on their Boss asking for promotions all the time? One would think that part of being a leader is actually leading and taking the initiative to reward those within their fold that do work hard.

Let's not even discuss the standard set either. Many of these people that aren't moving up in our society are seen more often in the streets than some of those in power here.

Also, while you want to separate the friendship vs. family discussion from this one, I don't believe you can. People that don't work as hard have found and are finding it easier to rank and are being given responsibilities, not based upon their hard work, but based upon old friendships. This ties into your topic directly, because, as Squishy said, what is the motivation for anyone to be loyal to anyone that doesn't recognize their hard work and instead gives rewards to those around them that happen to be longtime friends of their families?
Report Post Tip
I just don't find this fight... worth fighting... you're going to find people in Olivers crew sticking up for the fact that you should be working hard and ignoring that they're not giving you the promotion. They want you to keep questioning yourself for some reason. Not sure if it is for fun or if they have a valid reason for keeping there freinds at the top and the others at the bottom.

That is why I don't even bother with ranking up any longer. I was going to give it a shot a few guys back. Then I realised how impossible it is to rank up past Earner. I'm sick of seeing these people who have devoted there lives to this game get shot down because they're not the select few who have been certified to do so.

Why can't we just ignore Cliques and start fairly giving things to people who deserve them.

I've also seen high people get rejected for things to Thugs, Gangster, and Goombas. The same Crewleaders who give out things to the common thug are usually the family with the person to first say "You are a Gangster... you have no right to come out here and speak!".

It isn't right and untill this is fixed. I doubt this game will have everybody devoted to there CLs.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Seriously, who are you here for
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL