Get Timers Now!
X

May 21 - 06:58:40
Page:  1 2 3 4 [ > - >>> ]
Big City, Small World Started by: Madeline on Aug 17, '18 11:34

“Jenny?

Jenny Sinclair?”

Madeline didn’t register the name at first. Even the second time the voice spoke it, she didn’t look up. It had been years since Madeline went by that name, she hardly recognized it. It wasn’t until she felt the light touch on her forearm that she realized the other woman had been addressing her.

“Oh, I knew it had to be you, I’d recognize you anywhere!”

The shrill pitch and southern accent made Madeline realize that this woman was from another time in her life. She vaguely recognized her, but she smiled reassuringly, trying to keep herself from panicking as her brain kicked into overtime. What were the odds? She was across the country from her small hometown and so much time had passed.

“Heavens how long has it been? We all wondered what happened to you after Vernon’s death.” As if realizing that Madeline didn’t recognize her, she smiled. “Eve Roberts. We were in junior league together?”

Madeline nodded, the vague familiarity of her face matching the vague familiarity of her name.  Madeline was sitting at one of her favorite new cafes, a spot she’d had breakfast in with a new business partner not too long ago. She’d been reading the paper, as she did every morning, and eating the fabulous French toast they served when suddenly Eve had appeared. Her bodyguards hadn’t thought twice of the woman approaching the table, as from the outside she seemed harmless. Maybe she was harmless, if it weren’t for the history Madeline had with this woman and the place she came from.

Had she gotten too comfortable here in New York? She seemed content to believe that her past would never catch up with her. But yet here she was, this woman who knew the old Madeline. Who knew Jenny.

Smiling brightly, Madeline finally found her voice. “Eve, of course, forgive me it’s just been so long.” She let her accent show, bringing out her old self as best she could. Maybe it was just a freak occurrence – after all, New York was a popular place and Eve clearly had enough money to travel and enjoy it here. “How are you?”

Although not invited, Eve slid into the chair across from Madeline. It made her uneasy and she suddenly had a sense that this wasn’t a freak occurrence at all. Had Eve tracked her down on purpose? No, she was just being paranoid.

“Me? Why heaven’s Jenny, it’s you that should be answering that question. You disappeared after Vernon’s death; people were starting to think you had died yourself. Even your father hasn’t heard from you in all these years.” Eve shifted uncomfortably in her seat as if suddenly noticing the several large men seated at tables around them – Madeline’s bodyguards. “My, what big strong men they have here in New York City. And you, seated at the center of them all.”

Madeline didn’t really have an explanation. She put off answering by taking a long sip of her coffee and as she did, she realized that sticking to some sort of semblance of honesty would work best. “I….Well, after Vernon’s death…” Her voice faltered for a moment. “I needed a fresh start is all. Too many memories in that old house and between his parents and my father, I felt a bit suffocated. I thought I would just get away for a while, but I guess it’s turned into longer than I expected.”

Eve flagged down a waitress and ordered herself a cup of coffee. What Madeline had hoped would be a short encounter was turning out to be something quite different. When her coffee was delivered, the woman took her time mixing in some cream and sugar before she responded to Madeline.

“There’s been so much gossip you know. Vernon’s death was just so sudden. He was young and healthy, you two had such a perfect marriage. Everyone was just in such shock. And then for you to disappear like you did well, you can only imagine what people said.” The other woman met Madeline’s eyes and her gaze sent a shiver down Madeline’s spine. What did she know?

“I’m sure. Our hometown has little to do but conjure up drama and intrigue out of thin air. There are few other ways for people to amuse themselves.” What more could Madeline really say? She needed to end this conversation, the sooner the better. “Really, there’s no interesting story here. Just a woman who moved on in life.”

Eve sipper at her coffee, a small smile on her face continuing to leave Madeline with a sense of unease. Finally, the other woman let out a small laugh and, with a stronger tone of voice, spoke again. “How about we cut the crap, Jenny. Or should I call you Madeline?”

Despite her current occupation and the time, she’d spent becoming a better, smarter criminal, Madeline was sure a lock of shock passed her face. She sat in a stunned silence and she must have grown pale as even Nikolas, her must trusted of men, sitting at the table just next to her, glanced over, as if suddenly realizing something was wrong. Madeline’s silence seemed an invitation for Eve to continue speaking.

“I was supposed to marry him you know. Vernon. Before he met you, he courted me for months. I was so certain I had him, hook line and sinker. But then you showed up. Young and beautiful, he was infatuated. I could never understand why.” Her voice was bitter now, not the pleasant cheerful voice she had opened the conversation with. She took another sip of her coffee before continuing.

“I ended up with Jack. Dear old Jack. A loving man I suppose, but so very boring. And a real disappointment in the bedroom, let me tell you.” Eve placed her cup back on the table, smiling softly. “How did you do it? I know the coroner ruled it as a heart attack but there’s no way. I know for a fact that Vernon had a very strong heart.” She sick smile on Eve’s face let on that there was more to that statement then Madeline probably wanted to know. “In fact, we had tested out his heart just the night before.”

And there it was. The revelation that Vernon had a mistress wasn’t really all that upsetting to Madeline; by the end of their marriage, the only times he touched her were filled with pain. When he’d wanted sex, she’d fought him, although often time she’d force his way onto her. It didn’t surprise her he would look elsewhere for the affection they had lost so early on.

She gathered herself back together, a few deep breaths calming her racing heart. Eve had the advantage of surprise but Madeline had been doing this sort of work for years. She wouldn’t be caught off her guard again.

“What do you want?” For it was obvious the woman wanted something, or why track Madeline down like this?

“I’ve been following your career for a while now Jenny. You’re a bonafide criminal, in league with the Godfather of New York. I need a job done and I figured you were the person to do it for me. Besides, I needed to look you in the eyes and see the truth. I loved that man and you killed him. Didn’t you?”

Madeline looked back at Eve. She laughed, a real, genuine laugh. This was so absurd. She ignored Eve’s question about the murder of Vernon and instead focused on what she was asking.

“Why would I help you, exactly? If you’ve been following my career, then you know I have no need to do what you want. If I wanted too, I could make sure you walk out that door and disappear yourself.”

“You could, but you won’t.” It was Eve’s turn to laugh now. She sat back in her chair, crossing her legs and smiling. “First off, I have left very specific details of where I am and who I came here to see, in a letter that I left at home. It won’t be opened unless I fail to return there.”

Madeline smirked in return, hardly phased by that fact. “And what would they do? Follow you here? I have the entire New York underground at my disposal.”

“You’re right. But do you forget who Vernon’s parents are Jenny? Do you think they will rest until they see you persecuted? How will your boss feel when the Feds are following you, investigating your businesses, his businesses?”

She was right about that. Eve had her back into a corner; if she left information that could make Vernon’s parents, who were probably already suspicious after she disappeared without a word, want her investigated, the heat would be on. They were powerful people and they could easily get the Feds looking into her, making her work that much harder. After a few moments of silence, Madeline realized she really didn’t have a choice.

“What’s the job?”

With a smirk, Eve started to talk, knowing she had won this battle. But the war was just starting.

A few hours later, Madeline was home. She had spent at least twenty minutes pacing, trying to figure out what exactly was going on. Everything had been going so well, she couldn't afford to have the feds start asking questions. Even if Eve didn't have any real proof, Madeline knew the whole situation was suspicious. She'd disappeared, changed her name and never once looked back. She had packed a bag already, but she hadn't been able to head to the airport. She could go down to Texas and do this alone, but, reluctantly, she had to admit to herself that she didn't want to do this alone. She couldn't go back to that place, to those memories. 

There was only one person she could think to ask. Someone she felt she could trust with this story. As the phone rang, she prayed he would answer. 

"Gavin? It's Madeline."  Her voice cracked, something new for her. She hadn't cried since the day Sadie died. She took a breath to steady her voice before she continued. "I need your help. Can you come to New York? Or I can come to you. Please." 

Report Post Tip

Gavin heard the phone and reached for his gun on instinct. Grunting, he lifted the phone to his head- eyes still closed.

Shit- what time was it?

"Hullo....?

He listened.

"Madeline?"

And she sounded... upset. Very unlike her.

"I can- ya. Okay. Yea, let me steal a plane and I'll be right there."

Blinking, he stood up, quickly showered, dressed, and prepared.

Four hours later he was walking out of the airport in New York carrying a briefcase and looking for Madeline's car.

Report Post Tip

Madeline was relieved when he agreed to come. She had Nikolas drive her to meet him; there was no way she could drive herself. She was shaking, and her heart couldn’t seem to slow down.

It was Nikolas who spotted Gavin first. He opened the backseat door for the other man, letting him slide in next to Madeline before moving back to the driver’s seat.  

“Thank you. I…..Thank you.” She reached out, squeezing his hand for a moment before releasing it. Nikolas drove them from the airport back to Madeline’s apartment. She had never brought Gavin here before, but it was the safest place to have this conversation. Given how well she had been doing since she arrived, not to mention the money she had brought with her, Madeline’s apartment matched her – it was gorgeous. Located near the top of a hi-rise, it had a beautiful view of the city. The inside was simple but elegant. She walked to the living room, which had floor to ceiling windows and a bar set up in the corner. Filling two glasses with ice, she poured them each a glass of whiskey. She consumed hers in one shot before pouring more and then turning to hand him the second glass.

“I have to tell you a story.” As if realizing her manners, she motioned for the couch. “I’m sorry. This is my home, please make yourself comfortable. This might…take a bit to explain.” She sighed, taking another sip of her glass. She stayed standing herself, the nervous energy she’d had all day keeping her from any sort of relaxing.

“My name….my name is not Madeline.” She struggled to get the words out, trying to figure out where to even start. “My name is Jenny Sinclair and a few years ago I murdered my husband. Then I came to New York and I reinvented myself if you can call it that.”

She could see the inquisitive look on his face and she sighed. Taking another sip, she put her glass on the bar and walked to the windows, running a hand through her hair as she looked out over the city she’d called home for these past few years. She crossed her arms, her fingers grabbing tightly to herself as if to remind herself she was still there. When she spoke, her voice was still soft and without its usual cheerfulness. Instead, it was filled with emotions, most of which she hadn’t allowed herself to feel in years.

“I grew up in Texas. Dirt poor and living in a shack. My mother died when I was a baby and my father was an alcoholic. When I was 16, I met Vernon. He was rich, an oil man’s son. To say he swept me off my feet would be an understatement. I thought I was living a fairytale and maybe I was. Except instead of my Prince Charming, Vernon was…. the Wicked Witch?” She chuckled slightly, although there was no real joy in the laugh. It seemed a fitting description for him.

“We married. He moved me into a big house and I played the doting wife. But soon it seemed that nothing I did was right. Nothing was ever good enough. He was drinking all the time.” Her body was tense, her eyes completely zoned out as she remembered the past. “He became violent. I didn’t know him, and I didn’t know what to do. I just covered the bruises as best I could and I went on with life. I tried to be better for him, to do things like he wanted them done. But then one day, he did something so very unforgivable.” She didn’t go into details. She couldn’t. Her voice faltered, and her nails dug into the skin of her arms. She thought of that day, of Sadie and how she had tried to protect Jenny. There would be no mistaking the pain that sharing this story caused her. Her forehead pressed against the cool glass as the tears rolled down her cheeks. It took a few moments before she could speak again.

“I poisoned him a few days later. The coroner said he died of a heart attack and once the funeral was over I was on the first train to New York. I swore to myself I would never be that weak, shallow useless girl ever again. I would never again put myself in that kind of situation. And I pretended like it never happened. Until today.”

She turned back to face him, her eyes brimming with tears that she fought to hold back, which she was only mildly successful in doing. “This woman, Eve she said her name was. I barely even remember her. She showed up out of nowhere and now she’s blackmailing me. She said she was his mistress, that she knows I must have killed him and that she knows what kind of work I do now. She said she’ll send the feds after me unless I help her kill her husband. She wants to collect his life insurance.  I don’t care, I don’t care about killing the man,” her voice was desperate, she was losing control and she hated it but she couldn’t stop it. “If I don't do what she's asking of me, I don't know what will happen. If the Feds get involved in my life, it will affect everything. But I can’t go back there, Gavin. I can’t go back there by myself."

She didn't outright ask him to go with her, but the request was in the pleading look she gave him as her eyes met his. Madeline never asked for help. She took care of herself, always. But yet right now, she needed him to say yes. 

Report Post Tip

Gavin raised an eyebrow as he walked into Madeline's apartment. Shit, maybe Tara was right; he did need to upgrade. He listened to her story without blinking, sipping his whiskey and watching her. She seemed... different. Off. Not at all the Madeline he'd been used to in their previous adventures. 

When she was finished, he finished his whiskey and looked at her in what he hoped was a comforting way. He hadn't had much experience with "comfort" in the last ten years, but he did his best. In truth, he was a bit rattled by Madeline's emotions- and he could feel an old, cold rage within him at the mention of a alcoholic husband abusing his wife. 

"Well I'm sorry you need to deal with this shit, Madeline. If it makes you feel any better, I kinda know where you're comin' from. Tara and I grew up in the middle of nowhere, and we had to drag ourselves out of that shit to get where we are."

He exhaled, thinking.

"I'll go with you, if that's what you're asking. You're a friend. I don't have many, but you're one of them."

Just a friend, now, but that's a discussion for a plane or a cab ride.

"Look... Madeline."

He said the name forcefully. Earlier, she'd said her name was Jenny, but it seemed to him that "Madeline" was much more correct. 

"I'll help however you want to. But just some food for thought... you know how many blackmailers I know that had someone do one favor and then cut them loose? Even when Tara sets up a blackmail, she doesn't destroy the dirt she has; she keeps it all locked up in a file, just in case. Because she knows, if she ever needs to, that she still owns a part of that person forever. And if Tara caught a bullet, what happens to those files?"

Gavin shrugged.

"I'm not telling you to just march right up to her and call her bluff. But when we're down there, let's at least consider ending this problem permanently. If she's got a deadman's switch setup... well, let's try to find whatever letter she wrote or whatever. My guess is that she she wants you to off her husband then she wouldn't leave a mysterious letter with one of her friends or family; it'd be odd enough that, when her husband gets killed, it would raise questions. I think anything she wrote to cause you problems is either on her, in her hotel room in New York, or somewhere at her home where no one else could find it accidentally- but where they might if she got killed."

He shrugged again.

"Not tellin' you how to handle your business, but here's my advice: stick a few men you trust on her to tail her while she's here establishing an alibi, then go kill this asshole... but when we're down there, let's try to find whatever she's got on you and solve the issue permanently."

Report Post Tip

"I'll go with you, if that's what you're asking. You're a friend. I don't have many, but you're one of them."

She had to stop herself from hugging him when he said that; it was like an instant release of tension. To not have to face this alone. She listened as he talked about the blackmailing and how it wouldn’t necessarily end with just this one act.

“It’s not that simple.” If it was, she would have already taken care of this. Her first instinct was to kill the woman right there in the café, but Madeline knew there were more layers to this than just Eve. She breathed deeply, wiping the tears from her eyes and forcing herself back to a more business-like attitude. This was a wall Madeline had built around herself, and the few moments it fell was all she would allow. Emotions were a nuisance, they tended to get in the way of what needed to be done, so she suppressed them. As well as any one person could at least.

“Vernon’s mother knew what he was doing to me. I imagine more did, but she’s the only one I had a real conversation with about it. Apparently, his father did the same to her and she’d just grown accustomed to it. Vernon was young and in shape when he died. Honestly, I don’t know how I got away with it.” She really had been shocked at the time. She had been methodical, but Vernon had suffered before his body finally gave out. The vomiting, the fever….she was sure someone from the household staff would have seen it. She’d cleaned up his body and the bed he’d been laying in. The next morning it really did look like he had just passed in his sleep.

“She was suspicious, I knew from day one. And then I just disappeared; I mean, what could that have looked like? I never once looked back. I never contacted my father. I don’t even know if he’s alive or dead.” She paused slightly at that thought but moved past it just as quickly. She couldn’t get caught up in that right now. “I didn’t even know about Eve and Vernon. I mean, I knew who Eve was, she was in my junior league club. She’d been in my house. And I never would have thought she’d have tracked me down after all this time. I know she said she had a letter, but I think there’s more. She specifically mentioned his parents. And they are not two people who we could quietly dispose of; they own half the oil wells in Texas!”

Moving to the bar, she took the glass she’d put down earlier and took a long sip. “I will deal with Eve in the long run. But right now, I need to do what she wants. At least when I get down there I can get a better sense of what people know and what is just speculation. Trust me, she’s going to pay for this.” Her voice was firm on that; the woman wasn’t going to just stroll in here and threaten everything Madeline had worked for this whole time.

“I know I just sort’ve sprung this on you. I don't think there are words to express how much I appreciate you agreeing to come with me. The sooner we go the better but if you need to head back to Philly first I understand.” Obviously, she preferred to just head straight to Texas, before she lost her nerve. But in their line of work being impulsive was getting harder; they had responsibilities.

Report Post Tip

Gavin listened as he refilled his glass.

"It's your play, Madeline. You're going to make all the calls here, because it's your business. And I appreciate the thanks... but, like I said, you're a friend. Let's go immediately and handle this shit. I'll buy more clothes when I'm down there."

With a wink, he finished his drink and stood up.

Report Post Tip

Madeline nodded at his response, finishing her own drink and putting the glass down on the bar. “Nikolas was no doubt making arrangements as we spoke. We’ll head back to the airport and be in Texas by the morning.” She was saying this as much for herself as for him. She led Gavin back out of the apartment and downstairs. Sure enough, Nikolas had grabbed Madeline’s go bag, something she kept packed in case the boss ever sent her on an urgent mission and had the car waiting out front for them.

The ride to the airport was quiet, with Madeline lost in her own thoughts. It wasn’t very polite of her, to be sure, but she knew Gavin would understand. She needed the time to piece herself back together. She couldn’t be so jittery when they got there, she would need all her wits about her. The women in this small town had nothing to do with their time but stir drama and intrigue. Madeline had given the biggest scandal in the town’s history when Vernon died, and she had disappeared; she’d been foolish to think it would go away so easily.

When they arrived at the airport, Nikolas drove them around back, to the private hangar that held the private flight he’d arranged.

"The perks of working for a Godfather,” Madeline said, smiling at Gavin. Her voice was a bit lighter now, more like her normal self. She thought about something Gavin had said earlier, about how he and Tara had come from nowhere, and she realized that despite having spent time together she knew very little about the man next to her. She had never really asked people about their pasts, perhaps because she was always trying to avoid questions about her own past. Maybe that was something she needed to change.

The flight would take about six hours. Madeline would sleep off and on throughout the time; even when she did fall asleep the dreams would keep her twisting and turning in her seat. When the flight finally landed, the sun was already rising, marking the start of a new day.

She looked over at Gavin, a weak smile showing on her lips. “Welcome to the great state of Texas. My town is about two hours from here, via car. This is the largest city near where I grew up and Vernon’s parents live about halfway between here and my home. Nikolas is bribing some of the airport staff to keep our arrival quiet, and he provided fake names for the passenger list.” She made mental note to make sure the man got a nice bonus soon, as he really had thought of everything.

“I’ve been trying to think about the best way to go about this. No matter what, my arrival is going to cause quite a stir, even if Eve was exaggerating the amount of gossip around my disappearance. I was uh…sort’ve a big deal around town, especially after I married.” She was embarrassed to discuss it with Gavin, and she looked down, fidgeting with her nails. She’d been the one to escape the poverty, to rise above it. For good or for bad, everyone had known her name. Hell, she’d thrown her wedding in the center of town to show everyone her enchanted new life. Thinking back on it now caused a sickening feeling in her stomach.

“I was thinking we could go straight to my father’s home. Vernon bought him a home just outside of town and I know a backroads way to get there, assuming they haven’t changed too much since I’ve been gone. He should be able to give me some idea of what’s been happening in town since I’ve been gone.” Of course, she didn’t actually know if her father still lived there. Or if he was even still alive. But they had to start somewhere, right?

When they disembarked, Nikolas already had a car waiting, but he wouldn’t be accompanying them. The fewer people that went into town, the better. As he handed Madeline the keys, the bodyguard looked over at Gavin, giving him a look that showed he expected Gavin to make sure Madeline returned in one piece.

Report Post Tip

Gavin winked at Nikolas before turning his attention to Madeline. He was a bit surprised by her statement of going to see her father; when she mentioned that he was an alcoholic  Gavin had assumed he was abusive, too. Maybe that wasn't the case.

"I was about to offer to go find some bar or coffee shop or something in town, just hang out and collect information.... but I wouldn't even know what's important. I think you're probably right about your father being our best source of information. If it doesn't work, for whatever reason, we could always try to describe you."

Gavink smirked.

"Tough to hide you, though, Mads. Just too pretty for your own good. I share the same curse."

Report Post Tip

Madeline looked over at him, grinning almost sarcastically. “Oh Gavin. If you tried to go sit anywhere in this town, alone, looking the way you look, you’d draw more attention to us then you could even imagine. Not to mention I’d probably lose you for a few days while you uh….gather information. I’d be lying if I tried to say I was an oddity in my hometown. Maybe a little taller than average, but there’s a lot of pretty girls there.” She winked before turning back to the road.

As she drove towards their destination, she thought more about the plan. “Besides, drawing attention might not be a terrible thing. Eve’s husband, Jack, is an older man. Killing him isn’t really the hard part, it’s the fact that his death, while I’m in town, is going to be noticeable. We have to create a solid alibi for ourselves and make sure his death looks either completely natural or like something we couldn’t possibly be a part of. A robbery gone wrong maybe? I guess we’ll just need to see how things go.”

The ride was smooth, and Madeline spent much of it lost in her own thoughts again. She saw new buildings and some modernization as they grew closer, which surprised her, but for the most part, it all seemed the same. As they started the final leg of her journey, Madeline spoke again.

“My father….he’s not a bad man.” She wasn’t sure if she was saying this out loud more for Gavin or herself. “It’s true, how I described him earlier. He’s an alcoholic, for as long as I can remember. But he wasn’t like Vernon. He never hurt me, not physically at least. When my mother died, he didn’t know what to do. And he certainly didn’t know how to raise a little girl. Mostly he was just neglectful, but not on purpose, you know? I think the grief was just too much for him.”

She turned onto a back road, remembering each turn as if on automatic. It was strange how it could come back so easily even all this time later. “He tried to be better for me when I was older, but it was almost too late by then. I had no respect for him and I certainly didn’t listen to him. I never told him what Vernon was doing for me. Now, looking back, I think he would have killed him himself if he had known.”

Report Post Tip

Gavin smirked.

"Okay, we'll save my information gathering as a backup plan."

Gavin listened as Madeline talked about her father as they turned onto the back road.

"Well... maybe now's not the time to tell him. How much are you going to tell him about what you do for work now? For that matter, who am I?"

Report Post Tip

"I don't plan on telling him anything about what I'm doing right now. As far as I'm concerned, the less he knows the better. In terms of your second question well...I actually hadn't thought about that." Madeline frowned, thinking of how to explain Gavin's presence. In fact, their entire appearance would elicit questions; Madeline could only hope that her father lived alone still. Or that he'd be too drunk to remember much of what she told him. 

"I'll tell him the truth, mostly. You're a good friend, along for the ride. He may not believe it but if we keep the conversation focused on the information we're looking for, then we should be fine. My father was never exactly the overprotective type; he won't pepper you with questions if that's what you're worried about. It's up to you if you'd want to use your real name or something fictitious. I'll go with whatever you decide." 

Report Post Tip

Gavin winked.

"Probably better than telling him I'm his future son in law. Not sure if he'd assume that, although other people in town might. I don't see any reason to use a fake name. Like you said, hopefully he'll just have the information we want."

As they seemed to get closer to their destination, Gavin removed his M1911 from his shoulder holster and checked it- as well as the extra ammunition in his jacket pocket. Catching Madeline's glance, he shrugged. 

"Not planning on using it, obviously. Just like to be prepared."

Report Post Tip

Madeline couldn’t help but laugh. “We’re here because I killed my last husband. I highly doubt you’d want to be his future son in law.” She saw him inspecting his gun, which he was quick to explain.

“I’d expect nothing less. Although I wouldn’t be so sure about not needing it. This is Texas, after all, everyone owns a gun.”

Finally, Madeline pulled into the dirt driveway that led to a small white house. Vernon had bought it for her and her father when they’d first gotten engaged – before that, they lived in a much smaller, beat up little shack. The house was in better condition than she had assumed it would be, which made her wonder if her father even still lived here. She parked the car and looked around, taking in the neat porch area, the green paint that trimmed the windows. Someone had been taking care of the place.

She had a sharp intake of breath when she saw them, growing along the path to the front door. “Blackfoot daisies,” her voice was soft as if she didn’t realize she was talking out loud. It was all she needed to see to know that her father was still here.

Looking at Gavin, she bit her bottom lip. “Well…. here goes nothing.” She climbed out of the car and walked the path, slowly. She wasn’t sure what to expect and although it wasn’t like her, she was nervous. When she got to the front door, she hesitated. She looked back at Gavin once more, as if making sure he was there. There was something about his presence that gave steadied her; it was an unusual feeling for Madeline, but not a bad one. She’d need to process that eventually, but right now there were other priorities.

She knocked on the front door and waited. It would be horribly anticlimactic if no one answered, although maybe that would be enough to break the tension. But there would be such luck – she could hear movement inside the house. A few moments passed, and the door was pulled open.

Standing in front of her was a man she hardly recognized. It was her father all right, but he was different. He looked…. healthy. There were no dark circles under his eyes, his beard was neatly trimmed, and he had lost weight. To Gavin, it would instantly become clear what Madeline got her height from – her father was tall. Very tall.

The older man stared, looking like he’d seen a ghost.

“Jenny?” He whispered, as if not believing it was really her.

“Hi papa.”

He reached out and pulled her into a hug, something he’d rarely done in the past. When he finally released her, he noticed Gavin, who Madeline was sure was probably feeling a tad bit uncomfortable with the family reunion he was witnessing. It’s not like it was something she expected; her father had hardly been an affectionate man.

“This is a good friend of mine papa, Gavin Byrne. Gavin, this is my father.”

Releasing Madeline, the older man stuck his hand out, smiling warmly at Gavin. “Thomas Evans, but you can call me Tom. Nice to meet you son.” He shook his hand firmly before stepping back. “Please, come inside. We have a lot to catch up on.”

A short time later and the three of them would be seated at the kitchen table, tall glasses of ice cold lemonade in front of them. Madeline looked at her father, clearly still very confused.

“I know you have a lot of questions for me, but I have to address the elephant in the room. You…. you’re sober.”

“Mostly,” Her father did a head bob, sort of a ‘give or take” kind’ve motion. “After you left well, things got worse for a while. And then I met someone and she sort’ve…cleaned me up. I mean, not all the way. Can’t lose that edge.”

Madeline couldn’t help but laugh. “What? Who?!”

“Elizabeth Atkins.”

“Ms. Atkins the school teacher?!

“Yes.” Her father seemed slightly embarrassed by all the questioning, as he shifted in his seat. “But enough about me. Where have you been?”

Madeline frowned, sipping at her lemonade. She had to admit that there was nothing like a real homemade glass of Southern lemonade. “In New York City. I wish I could say I came back just to visit but I need your help papa. I know you’ve never much been into the small-town gossip, but I need to know what’s been happening lately. What did people say about my disappearance? About Vernon’s death?”

Her father’s eyebrows furrowed as he thought about her questions. “That was a long time ago Jenny. Why are you asking?”

Ok, maybe a drunk father would have worked better, actually. Although a sober father was more likely to remember details.

“I know it’s been a long-time papa but please?”

He sighed and nodded. “At first, people thought you needed your space and you were just grieving. Your husband had died so young. But when you didn’t return, people got suspicious. The Sinclair’s showed up here, started asking me questions. Mrs. Sinclair especially, she kept asking me if you had talked to me about your marriage, if something had been upsetting you. I told her the truth, that you came to visit Sadie more than me and that you never spoke to me about your marriage.”

So, his mother had been suspicious even back then. It was only natural; she couldn’t imagine that his mother hadn’t thought about doing the same to his father in the past.

“And since then papa, has anything else happened? Especially lately?”

Tom shifted again, thinking. “You know me, Jenny, I don’t listen to the woman talk. Elizabeth might know more, you know she’s in town every day, so she hears it all. You know how it is around here, everyone is always talking about something.”

He took a gulp from his lemonade, right as something seemed to click. “Of course, you must have heard about the gala. Is that why you came back?”

Madeline’s eyebrows pulled together, and she shook her head. “What gala?”

“After Vernon’s death, the Sinclair’s opened some charity in his name. They’re throwing a big fundraising gala right here in town, all of your old friends will be there.”

Madeline laughed. Of course, Eve had timed it just perfectly; she probably told the Sinclair’s that her trip to New York had been planned long before they announced the gala and she was just so sorry that she couldn’t attend but she would make sure that Jack made an appearance. The gala would present an almost murder mystery. Did Eve want Madeline to get caught? Was that her plan all along? Get rid of her husband and get revenge on Madeline all at the same time?

She looked at Gavin, wondering if he were having the same thoughts.

“How long will you be in town Jenny? Your room here is still empty, you and your friend can stay. There’s a couch in the living room.” Tom looked at Gavin as if daring him to question why he’d be sleeping on the couch.

“No papa, Gavin and I have to go into town. I don’t know how long we’ll be here, but I promise I won’t disappear again.” She reached out, giving her father’s hand a squeeze. “I’ll come back before I leave the state. But right now, I’m going to go try and catch Ms. Atkins at the schoolhouse, ok?”

Her father didn’t argue, knowing it would be useless. Madeline gave her father a hug and a kiss on his cheek before she left the house with Gavin, heading out to the car. Before she left, she picked one of the daisies and slipped it behind her ear. She blew one last kiss to her father before pulling out of the driveway. Once they were back on the road, Madeline glanced over at Gavin.

“It seems dear old Eve managed to think of everything. Once word spreads that I’m in town, I’ll be expected to attend the gala. I don’t think she’s just blackmailing me, Gavin, I think she wants me to get caught killing Jack.”

Report Post Tip

Gavin followed behind Madeline, though he stopped to pick one of the daisies and fix it in his pocket. Gavin's hand was near his gun when the door opened, but he relaxed- mostly- as they embraced.  Gavin shook the hand of the taller man, still on his guard. 

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Evans."

At the kitchen table, Gavin sipped his lemonade. He nearly asked for something to spike it with when he remembered their host was an alcoholic... probably best to just keep the lemonade as is. 

Gavin mostly stayed quiet during the discussion- not his place to intrude.

As soon as the car door closed, though. Gavin glanced at Madeline.

"Well... this is definitely a trap. At least she didn't know you'd have help."

He winked, waiting to hear how Madeline wanted to play it.

Report Post Tip

Madeline turned the car onto the main road, heading into town. Coming from a place like New York City, their town was tiny by comparison. In the middle of town was a large Gazebo, the unofficial town square. That was where her wedding had been, although it seemed like it was a lifetime ago. There was a general store, a church, a diner and a few other stores. As she drove, Madeline saw some new buildings that she didn’t recognize – it seemed the town had grown since she was last here.

“Well, we just have to outsmart her. Once people realize I’ve returned they will expect me at the Gala. I mean, it’s dedicated to Vernon, it would be way too obvious if I cut out. But obviously, I won’t be trying to kill Jack there. Maybe…” Madeline thought, trying to think of the safest way to get this done. “We go to the gala. I can make it clear that I’m only here to support it, make a big show about going back to New York the next day. I could even make a show of going to the airport and Nikolas could have the plane leave. But instead, we stay behind and kill him that night?”

Madeline shrugged, looking over at Gavin to see what he thought. “I know we’ve been pretty much non-stop since I called you yesterday. Do you want to go to the motel and get a few hours rest? Once I show up in town things will move pretty quick.”

Report Post Tip

Gavin smiled as he slid his sunglasses back on, scanning the landscape during the drive into town. He nodded as he listened to her plan.

"I think that could work. The plane fake out could be good. But you'd need a hell of a disguise- or to really lay low- once the plane takes off. You kind of stick out, Mads. Which hey, I'm not complaining. It's just going to make things trickier."

He tilted his head.

"I think that's a solid plan. Risky if they see you after, but it should be easier to actually kill him. The other option, of course, is for me to take him out during the gala while everyone in the whole town is staring at you all night. You'll never have a better alibi, even if the timing would be suspicious. But hey, the timing'll be suspicious anyway right?"

Gavin frowned.

"Although the only way I can think of taking him out and making it look clean is poison- and that seems like it's a trap waiting to happen. We can think it over tonight, so the motel sounds like a good plan to me."

Report Post Tip

“I thought about that too. Yes, it makes more sense but then you would need to hide out in the motel until the gala because if people know I’m in town with you and you’re not there with me, it’s also a bit too obvious.” Madeline needed to find out eventually if Eve was working with Vernon’s parents, but she also knew that working when exhausted was not smart. This kind of work required planning and deceit; both Madeline and Gavin were more impulsive, fly by the seat types. Showers, a real meal, and sleep would do them both good. She could always get more information tomorrow.

She pulled into the motel a few minutes later, parking near the office. There were nicer places closer to the airport but Madeline preferred to stay closer to town. “I don’t think it would be too hard to hide out. We can stay near the airport that day and just ride into town after dark. I’ll stick my hair in a bun and dress like a man or something. Buy a nice suit. I’d be a very pretty man.” She turned and winked at him before motioning towards the door. “Come on. Let’s get a room and order takeout. My father didn’t mention when the gala is and I think that’s a pretty vital piece of information. I can make a few calls and try to get more information.”

Report Post Tip

Gavin nodded. There were definitely going to be issues no matter what they tried. As they got out of the car, Gavin winked at Madeline.

"You'd be the prettiest man I ever met."

He frowned. Not a sentence he'd ever expected to say.

"Want me to get the room and try to sneak you in? Or are you assuming people'll know where you're stayin' no matter what?"

Report Post Tip

Madeline though about his question, a slight frown on her face. “Uhhhh….I think people would assume I’m staying with my father, but given how long I’ve been away I’m not sure it really matters. Not everyone is going to recognize me right away, I’m sure I can get into a room without being spotted. I’m not like…a Princess or something.” She laughed, slipping out of the car.

“Let them see me. Let them know I’m here. I’m not going to fear these people.” Madeline was turning more into her usual self now, which was good. “Between you and I, we’ve got this covered.” Maybe there was some false confidence mixed in there, but she couldn’t be in a slump forever. She had to focus and get this figured out.

An hour or so later and they were sitting inside a comfortable but slightly outdated room. She had gotten connected to an old childhood friend, not someone she was especially close to but who she knew was a gossip. Word of Jenny’s arrival back in town would spread like wildfire. She laughed a very convincing fake laugh and spoke “Of course dear, I’m so very excited to see you as well. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” A moment later and she was hanging up, turning towards Gavin and rolling her eyes.

“I hate these people. But the gala is two nights from now. So we gotta figure things out. And I need a dress.” She had every intention of making a very memorable appearance at that damn event.  

Report Post Tip

Gavin rolled onto the bed and stretched his hands behind his head. He'd tossed his suit jacket aside and his dress shirt was half unbuttoned; the scars that covered his chest were nearly visible.

"Eh. We can go shopping tomorrow. Want to try to plan now? Or get some sleep and come at it with fresh eyes in the morning?"

He grinned, keeping his eyes closed but listening for Madeline's movements. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Big City, Small World
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL