Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 30 - 09:12:57
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 4 
Big City, Small World Started by: Madeline on Aug 17, '18 11:34

Madeline knew that by now word had spread that she had arrived back in town. She had yet to speak with Vernon’s parents, but she knew they would be there, it was their event after all. The gala was being held in the town center, the same place where Madeline had gotten married. Surrounding the gazebo was a huge white tent in which the event would be held. 

When they arrived, it was clear that the Sinclairs had gone above and beyond to make tonight spectacular. Madeline had nearly forgotten how incredibly overboard these people could be when they wanted too.  Still, she had to admit it was stunning.

Before they got out of the car, Madeline had looked over at Gavin. “In there…you have to call me Jenny. I don’t know who Eve told what but there’s no reason to give them more information then they need. So, for tonight, it’s Jenny.”

Vernon’s parents were there, right at the front, welcoming their guests. The richest of the rich were present tonight, names from all over Texas. There was no way they could kill Jack inside the gala; there were simply too many prominent people present. Eve surely would have known that - was she stupid enough to think Madeline would try anyway? 

When Vernon’s mother saw her, her eyes went wide. She reached out for Jenny, her hands clasping hers.

“I had heard you were here but….I wasn’t sure it was true….”

Madeline smiled softly, although it never reached her eyes. “I heard about the gala and I knew I had to come back to support it. I’m so sorry to have lost touch I just….”

His mother embraced her, squeezing her tightly. She couldn’t tell how genuine the hug was and she still didn’t quite trust the woman, but she returned the hug to keep up with appearances. “You’re here now and that’s all that matters.”

As if noticing Gavin for the first time, the older woman greeted him. “Welcome, I’m Mrs. Sinclair. How kind of you to join us.”

Perhaps showing up with a date wasn’t her finest of ideas. It was only natural it would bother Vernon’s parents, but if they were in on Eve’s schemes then throwing them off would only help Madeline in the long run. Looking back at Madeline, Vernon’s mother smiled. “We’re doing an auction of some of his belongings, to raise money for the charity. And we’ve set some photos along the tables, in memory.”

“I’ll be sure to go see them. It’s a wonderful thing, what you’re doing here.” Assuming the money was actually going to charity. If Eve and Jack were broke could the Sinclairs be having the same financial trouble?

She slipped her arm through Gavin’s and headed inside. The space was beautifully decorated, with a dozen or so large round tables sent up under the tent. There were string lights hanging and beautiful flower centerpieces. It really was a sight to behold. Along the edges were straight tables that were set up for the auction.

“Well, might as well do the hard part first. This whole thing could be some sort of trap, but I haven’t quite figured it out yet.” Her voice was low so that only he could hear her.

She started with the table nearest the door. The items they were auctioning were easy things; a good set of golf clubs, a few watches, some hunting rifles (it was Texas after all). It was the pictures that drew Madeline’s eyes – there were pictures of Vernon as a child, family portraits, and school class pictures. She paused at a certain one – it looked like some sort of high school dance. She leaned towards Gavin, her eyes never leaving the picture. “That’s Eve.” She whispered, nodding towards the picture. She remembered Eve said that she had been with Vernon before Jenny had met him but here it was in photographic evidence. She wondered why his parents had chosen that image – was it a sign that they were working with Eve? Or just an innocent choice? 

She kept moving, not wanting to linger on that image in case someone was watching. Well, everyone was watching her, to be fair. She had been the center of rumors and speculation since his death and here she was, and with a new man at that. She couldn’t help but smirk at the thought – she’d give the town enough to talk about to last them the next year.

Madeline saw a few items that she had purchased for Vernon on the auction table. She remembered birthdays and holidays – some of those had been happy times. The pictures started to change too – they started to include her.  She paused when they reached their wedding portrait – Madeline looked so young and happy. Naïve to the realities of the world and the life she would end up living. Part of her wished she could go back in time and stop herself that day. She wondered what her life would be like now if she had never married the man. She’d still be Jenny; maybe she’d have married someone else, lived a simpler life. Maybe she’d be a mother by now, with one or two little rascals to chase after. She couldn’t even picture such a thing, really. The last thing Madeline needed was to be responsible for another human when she could hardly be responsible for herself.

Her hand tightened on Gavin’s forearm as she forced herself to keep walking. There were a few pictures of their marriage and it was almost like you could see the happiness seeping out of it. The smiles became forced, the dark circles under Vernon’s eyes appeared. She almost felt like she was reliving their short marriage just in that walk and it was not a pleasant experience.

When they got to the last auction table, Madeline sighed. She didn’t say anything for a few moments before she turned and glanced around the room.

“We should find Jack.”

She couldn’t let emotions get the best of her, not right now, not tonight. That would be a mistake and they couldn’t afford any mistakes tonight.

Report Post Tip

Gavin tried to keep his arm linked with Madeline as much as possible as they moved through the giant white tent on the lawn. As she moved through her high society, Gavin imagined how she must have navigated it before- like a shark, he bet. Now, she was working hard to avoid being a fish out of water. He stayed silent, smiling when he had to- especially when meeting the Sinclairs. 

Gavin looked down with interest at Madeline's wedding portrait. She was beautiful- not that she wasn't now. If anything, Gavin found the edge she'd picked up in New York much more attractive. But there was an innocence in the picture that he found it hard to rectify with the Madeline who'd had a few drinks, robbed a jewelry store, screwed his brains out, and disappeared by morning on their first date.

As they walked to find Jack, Gavin wondered who he was walking with. Madeline? Or Jenny?

He spoke her name softly, curious whether she'd turn immediately or not even register it.

"Jenny..."

Report Post Tip

Turning to scan the room, Madeline wondered where she could get her hands on some wine. Just as quickly as her eyes searched for a waiter, she realized that drinking would be a very bad idea today. She nearly sighed in frustration, but she refrained, instead plastering a fake smile on her face. She saw so many faces that she vaguely remembered, most of whose names she couldn’t remember, but she couldn’t see Jack in the crowd. Maybe he hadn’t arrived yet?

When Gavin spoke, it didn’t register right away. She hadn’t been Jenny in so long, the name just didn’t hold the weight it once did. It was more the sound of his voice that caused her to look over at him after a moment, raising an eyebrow slightly with a questioning look on her face.

A few moments later and there was an announcement being made for everyone to take their seats so evening could begin. There would be opening words by Vernon’s parents, followed by the auction, in between which a variety of tasty foods would be served. That was what the schedule said at least. Madeline had the feeling the night wouldn’t be smooth.

“Come on, let’s sit. We’re going to have to play along until we figure out just what’s really going on.”  

Report Post Tip

Gavin sat down next to Madeline and tried to mirror the vaguely disinterested look of the rich people around him. Gods, he felt caged. They had no choice but to just sit there and snack, waiting for the other shoe to drop- if it ever did. Gavin stealthily checked the gun under his left shoulder and the knife at his calf.

Well, if it was a trap... he'd be ready.

Report Post Tip

Madeline was equally uncomfortable, really. This wasn’t her kind of event, not anymore. She’d much prefer to be in a dark pub, sipping some wine after a good jewelry heist. She smiled at the memory, even as the lights dimmed and focused on the stage. She was expecting Vernon’s parents but instead, a single woman sauntered onstage.

It seemed they wouldn’t have to wait very long to see what trap Eve had set, because there she was. Madeline stared at the other woman, waiting. Gavin would likely be able to pick up on her shift of attitude, the tensing of her body. She knew she should turn and tell him, but she couldn’t tear her eyes off the woman. Just what did she have up her sleeve?

Eve took the microphone, smiling at Vernon’s parents who seemed honestly stunned at the odd turn of events. “I’m sorry Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair, I don’t mean to usurp your event here, but I simply had to act. You see, there’s a fraud here and I think it’s time we all knew the truth about Vernon’s death.”

Madeline’s face was like stone, not showing a hint of emotion. Her eyes never left Eve.

“I’m sure you’re all a little surprised to see me. I came home from New York early just for this special event. And I’m sure you’ve all noticed our other special guest – Jenny Sinclair.” Eve turned and stared at Madeline, a twisted grin on her face.

“A round of applause ladies and gentlemen, for the widower has finally shown her face. And with another man by her side at that.” Eve started a slow clap that no one joined. It was awkward, and she looked rather unstable, which Madeline was finally realizing that she was.

“You see, I found dear Jenny hiding in New York. She doesn’t even go by Jenny these days, just so you know.”

Eve was pacing along the stage as she spoke. “It took time; I had to brush up on my investigatory skills. But here she is, for all of us to judge. And judge we should.” Eve glanced out over the crowd, grinning. “You all know what she did right? Let me tell you a story.”

Madeline was weighing her options, not quite sure how to react. She couldn’t exactly kill the woman in a room full of people.

“Vernon and I were high school sweethearts. We were supposed to marry, until the day he met this Southern trash at some simple dance in this tiny little town. Suddenly, she was all he could talk about. He catered to her every whim.” The disdain was dripping from her voice, giving Madeline goosebumps.

“I was tossed aside and before I knew it, they were getting married. But you see, Jenny couldn’t hold a candle to me. It turned out she was a rather poor wife. You all saw it, didn’t you?”

She was met with silence, but it didn’t deter her. “I was the only one who really made him happy, he came to see that soon enough. I was his one true love and we were kept apart by this woman.”

Eve turned her attention to Vernon’s parents, which caused the first real reaction from Madeline. While she was still angry at Vernon’s mother for not helping her when it mattered most, she didn’t think they deserved what was happening here tonight. She frowned, her body tensing even further.

“You picked the wrong daughter in law. If you had supported me, Vernon would still be alive. Instead, he married this trash. Vernon is dead, and she likely had something to do with it. He was young and healthy. We were in love. He was going to leave her, and he has a heart attack? No. No, she killed him, I’m sure of it.”

Madeline was enraged now, and it took everything in her not to storm the stage. But she also realized the woman was digging her own grave. She had no proof and she came across completely deranged.

“Jenny Evans was born trash and she will continue to be trash until the day she dies. She killed her own mother the day she was born and then she killed her husband. She disappeared rather than face the fallout of her actions and she’s been living under an assumed name since then. Come on Jenny, why not share with the world your new success?”

A few men had started to move forward, realizing that Eve was disturbed, and they needed to get her off the stage. Vernon’s mother was in tears and Madeline simply sat in her seat, stone-faced, dozens of eyes on her. She had no idea what to do next.

Report Post Tip

Gavin glanced at Jenny- no, Madeline- and immediately popped up to his feet and started walking toward the stage. He was seriously considering shooting this bitch right here, but figured that would cause too many problems. Instead he walked up confident and took the mic.

"Sorry to disturb your evening, folks. You've got a worthy cause here, and I'm sorry that your event was marred by what you just witnessed."

He took a deep breath, rested his hands behind his back and continued in a professional tone.

"Some of you must be wondering who I am, showing up with Jenny Sinclair. Some of you must have thought I was her date."

Gavin reached into his pocket and nonchalantly held up a badge.

"Well, I'm a member of the United States Secret Service. I've been investigating Mrs. Roberts here for a series of financial frauds motivated by her impending bankruptcy. When you pass bad checks, that runs through my office. I've been tracking her for weeks now. In the course of my investigation, I also witnessed a persistent pattern of harassment against Jenny Sinclair. Mrs. Roberts dangerous obsession over her idea of lost love has not only helped motivate her financial crimes, but also enough evidence for several felony counts of stalking and harassment."

At this point, Eve moved toward the mic, but Gavin shot her a look that froze her.

"Recently, in New York, Jenny here wore a wire and recorded a series of disturbing threats. The combination of this evidence and her attempts to pass a bad check in a state with harsher penalties means that Mrs. Roberts will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law in the state of New York. Her "reveal" tonight, which we allowed to proceed so that it could be recorded as evidence, was the final nail in her legal coffin. I wouldn't expect to see her for a long, long time."

"I'd like to apologize again for you having to hear that, especially you, Jenny, but we knew that if we set this sort of bait that Mrs. Roberts couldn't resist. I Hope that you can move past this to enjoy the rest of your evening."

With a nod, Gavin moved offstage, grabbing Eve Roberts by the arm and moving her along with him. Hopefully Je- Madeline would make a quick, tearful apology to the Sinclairs and, understandably, take her leave now that she had the "evidence" she needed- or just get the hell out of Dodge. Gavin just marched for the car, pushing Eve Roberts in front of him. They'd figure out what to do with her later.

Report Post Tip

As the plane lifted from the ground, Madeline felt a sense of relief. She wanted nothing more but to leave this horrid state behind and never look back. The last 12 hours or so had been a whirlwind of chaos. When Gavin made the decision that he did to go up on that stage and “arrest” Eve, it had set in motion a series of events. Madeline had played along, impressed with the quick thinking of the man she’d come to rely on.

She hadn’t stayed at the gala after that. After comforting Vernon’s mother, exchanging hugs and comments about how crazy Eve was, Madeline how followed Gavin out. Luckily, she had Nikolas on standby nearby, so they were able to load Eve into his car. They drove straight back to the airport and kept Eve gagged and handcuffed. The plane was in a private hangar, so they had some time and privacy to interrogate her while Nikolas made the arrangements for them to get back to New York.

They questioned Eve for hours, about what she knew, what evidence she had outside of what they already found in her house, who else she had told. The woman was not easy to break but they’d managed to get enough that Madeline felt confident they could put this to rest. She could take Eve with her back to New York and find some friendly faces that could help put her away for a long time.

It was morning before the airport gave them clearance to leave. Eve was strapped in and Nikolas assured them he would keep watch over her, giving Madeline and Gavin a chance to settle in for the ride back. She had curled up in a seat, watching through the window as the plane pulled away from her former home.

This trip had stirred up so many emotions in Madeline, she didn’t even know where to start. Not only had the past she’d worked so hard to suppress come roaring back with an intensity she’d never expected, but she was also starting to wonder what her future would hold. She glanced over at Gavin, conflicted over what role he might play in that future. She'd sworn off relationships since Vernon's death, but Gavin had stirred in her a sense of longing for something she hadn't realized that she wanted. 

All Madeline knew is that she had a lot of things to figure out for herself. She took a sip from the drink she'd poured for herself and closed her eyes, not sure she was ready for whatever came next. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Big City, Small World
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL