Get Timers Now!
X

May 16 - 17:55:48
Game Suggestions
1 Watchers
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Hand Rank Requirement Started by: ArturoStrigliori on Nov 11, '18 14:57

I mean, we've had this discussion before, but now it's extremely more prevalent. Make the hard floor for the position of hand be the rank of gangster, at least in that way people will have lived a day before we see them with italics. 

Gives the living an excuse to talk with their members instead of the recently risen-from-the-dead 

No beef with anybody filling this role right now as a thug, but c'mon man.

Report Post Tips: 5 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Make it whatever it use to be, whatever that criteria was. 

Report Post Tip

If you want to get technical it used to be Thug... 

Report Post Tip

At one point it was made man. But this current requirement makes it so hand roll-over is limited to the same people, and newer individuals won't have any chance to join this exclusive club of whatever crew's ranks. 

Report Post Tip

How is this different from the past? Leaders generally go with people they trust, doesn't matter if they are new or old. Hands have always been people that the leader knows and trusts. A leader that rushes into a hand decision risks their entire crew as we have seen happen in the past. It hasn't done any damage having the requirement removed so I see no reason to change it. 

Report Post Tip

It appears to be a problem to me when people dying in wars are immediately granted the position in the crew that they had before they died... Within minutes... The delay at least offers an opportunity for the crew leader to even consider a replacement, a situation in which the current requirement does not occur.

In theory, a leader should be able to trust more than two other people in their crew... They don't even have to appoint a new hand until their favored resurrected friend should be able to pass the requirement. Having a gap in that slot offers more opportunities for others to step up, especially when they are offered a low branch like a temporary hand position until the previous hand waits a day to get their privileges back. 

This requirement is more symbolic than anything, as you noted, because it seems very odd that someone who dies in a war (and generally would lose everything) is able to reconnect immediately with their ancestor's friends and family and is immediately promoted to a higher position than players who had been 'part of the business' for a lot longer. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip
I completely agree with Arturo. I've been discussing this with William on a number of occasions. That is my polite version
Report Post Tip
Yea agree
Report Post Tip

As a "new" guy. May 2018. It is disheartening to see less then 24 hours old as a hand. I get they were, then died and you want them back.

Just looks bad to those NOT restarting. Made Man at the least. Just my diluted thoughts.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Maybe the new arrival simply is the kid of the died hand that has basically been growing up in the HQ, knowing every single detail, as they were always watching when their mother or father was acting in their position.. Maybe the children of these men and women are compensated for the loss of their father or mother..

But to give my personal opinion: This kind of bloodlining, in my eyes, is not very respectful towards other members, having a 0-day old in a hand-position.

in my opinion  as a player, it is disrespectful to the role, the player taking the role, and those players watching  a thug take a hand position. I understand this as a  form of blood-lining ( entirely a different subject) and that the bloodlines have worked together before which has built trust between them.Trust you need for such a position, but trust is funny it can't be earned unless first given.

According to the games wiki

• Earnable after reaching eight days of age.
  • Minimum of twenty drug units required
  • End of automatic promotions.
  • Unlocks ability to become Left Hand Man.
Made Man
  • Earnable after reaching eleven days of age.
  • Minimum of twenty-five drug units required.
  • Must be promoted manually by crew leader.
  • Unlocks the first organized crime.
  • Unlocks the second felony.
  • Unlocks the ability to become a sponsor.
  • Unlocks the ability to become a Right Hand Man.
  • Gains ability to accept associates (must be granted by crew leader).
  • Minimum rank required to establish a crew

Wouldn't it  solve the issue if people played the game according to  the wiki suggestion of what rank can hold what hand position? 

Otherwise why  have that in the wiki telling everyone this is how it is?

DarkLotus the Wiki is out of date and hasn't been updated for some time. 

Report Post Tip

Then maybe as a new player I should not have been sent to reference it, or maybe it should be updated.

This topic, and variations of it, has been around for many many years.

I think it's cheap to say that kids are growing up in the HQ and therefore get the italics versus a Don/Consig/Boss/Capo/MM who's been there all along. If someone is trusted enough to be given those ranks, how are they less trustworthy than a "Thug" who, from an RP perspective, would have little to NO experience as a criminal, let alone a powerful RHM/LHM. That kind of shit would cause rifts within families IRL, and there'd be much more internal (at the crew level) power struggles and wars.

"Trust" is something that is built outside of the game (IRC). If we had NO way to communicate outside of in character (impossible, but just think), Bolds would have no other choice but to promote from within.

It's the same people. It's always the same people. I stopped playing for 4 years, I come back, and it's still the same people. Yes, the community is small and CLs can choose who they want. But I believe the risk/reward of appointing a different name to hand and CL positions serves the MR community as a whole much better than a well known bloodline. 

I mean, look at all the new bold and italics names.

There are 73 CLs/RH/LHs currently. 14 of which are under 10 days old...that's 20%.  If you look beyond the 10 day mark, that number grows. I believe in a hard cap when there are X amount of "eligible" mafiaso alive. And I believe that hard cap should raise based upon the average number of active MM+. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

And now ..... again ...... a less then 3 hour old is a HAND. Issy/Squishy ...... please put the requirement back in. This is getting fucking sad.

Report Post Tip

Nothing against you personally here, but DravenLynn going straight to the same position they were in is absurd. 

Constance, I know you said once upon a time it was open to thugs. But ever since I've been playing the game it's as the Wiki has it. To allow someone such an easy, nay, bullshit path back into a position of power that gives with it certain perks above people not in the same hand role, is bullshit.

I understand there may be a need for the rule to change given certain gamescapes, but when it's as it is now, it takes away the honor of attaining such a position within a family.

I'm sure Crew Leaders have more than this sole person or people to rely on, and to trust. Why not give someone else a chance who's been around, working tirelessly, for an extended period of time?

Where is the honor in the rank if a mere nobody can claim it. There is none- in my opinion. This needs to be changed. Bring back the made man requirement.

Report Post Tip

At one point it was made man. But this current requirement makes it so hand roll-over is limited to the same people, and newer individuals won't have any chance to join this exclusive club of whatever crew's ranks. "

This is untrue. Considering that I have never been a hand before this character. But maybe I just got lucky with  my city. 

Report Post Tip

Well Donny, you are a 179 days old with 45 units and made LH of a family, while a 4 day old goomba sits as the RH. I'm just saying that your example probably lends more of an exampled towards what Arturo said than anything. Just to an outsider looking in, one could argue that you would have potentially been RH for these 11 days while Ducky waited for his rank in the older system.

It says one of two things, either that no matter what Ducky would have entually been RH so this just expedites the process and makes it easier for people to be where they're going to end up or that in fact people who be a hand aren't getting the proper oppertunities anymore.

I would say either way it is fine. This way is easier, ruins the RP aspect a bit, but someone getting RH at 11 days or 1 day doesn't really make much of a difference in my opinion. RH is generally where you put one of your trusted friends anyways, and it has been that way since I've started, no matter the rank limit.

Take no offense to what I'm about to say. This is an outside forum and represents my IRL personal opinion (not my character). As Sisyphus pointed out, you're still making the point of the OP. A Boss (with Don points...) with less clout than a Goomba. So there's that...but also consider that it's a non-GF crew with 7 members..more or less an expansion ATM. The pool isn't very deep. 

Donny, you're lucky. Take advantage of the appointment, do well, and you'll increase your chances to be considered in the future for another italics appointment. Props to your CL for putting you in that position w/o prior experience. Seeing as how being stuck at Boss only hurts everyone's bottom dollar, especially since you're considered trustworthy enough to be LHM, I'd venture to say she would promote you if she could. Which means your last structure didn't feel the same way, for whatever reason.

Report Post Tip

As the others have replied before me, I will yet still echo their points in my response to Donny. Donny, you're not 0 days old. You're vastly above made man, and you have 179 days on your character. That gives you every right to be in line for a LHM, RHM, or CL position under the restraint of your city's leaders.

This isn't only about the same people getting the same positions over and over again. This is about the same people getting the same positions over and over again within hours of them dying. The previous statement can be a completely different discussion, one of which I doubt I would have much credibility to address compared to some people.

Getting back to the main point, it's very demeaning to see 0 day old hands on the active list. All those other names without any italics or bold vastly above them, all those possible individuals who are not given a proper opportunity because of this current policy. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Hand Rank Requirement
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL