Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 25 - 05:08:14
Page:  1 
Downtown District Renaming Options Started by: Syn on Feb 21, '19 17:19

Am I talking about Los Angeles or am I talking about Detroit? 

The thought of all the player confusion, money spent, private flights taken, and external doc confusion that has taken place over the years when talking about Downtown district makes us think we should strongly consider changing the name of at least one of them. 

While Downtown Detroit is empty, maybe now is the best time to consider renaming it. Renaming the LA district is also plausible with good historical reasoning. 

We would like to hear the player thoughts for good district names for one or both of the cities. Please provide your thoughts with historically accurate alternatives from 1920's-1930's. The Downtown districts are located in the center of their cities, please keep that in mind when researching for good alternatives. 

Report Post Tips: 11 / Total: $250,000 Tip

Great idea, hopefully we can find a semi historically accurate solution that works for this.

Report Post Tip

Easy....Rename Detroit's downtown to Motor City or Motown.  Ford started their factory in Detroit in 1910.

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

I would make two suggestions here, specifically for Detroit.

Bricktown:

It's got the oldest standing church at this time, though in the 1920s that is likely not the case it would still have been a significant building, as well as the courthouse of the county where Mae West, the actress, was once charged with public indecency. (To be fair, this was a common occurrence for Mae West, but adds to the historical significance of the area.) Not only that but the area has always been known for it's live music venues. It it not a far leap to assume at least a small number of untoward establishments would have been set up in that area. It is also located directly next to what is now known as "The Renaissance Center" which is a set of sky scrapers in the near middle of the modern city of Detroit, putting that district geologically in the center of the city.

Capitol Park:

While this section lacks the same historic appropriateness it was significant in the time period. It was the home to the first Capitol building in Detroit, and is the current site of the most significant historic district in the city due to the fact that no less than three of the buildings surrounding and involved within this area of the city were built primarily in the early 20th century. It would only take a small stretch of the imagination to put the district as more of a 'new age' or 'up and coming capitol' of the city since these buildings are high-rises of the time and show the forward progress of the city. To place this district as the central district in the early 20s would be difficult, but by the mid 30s it was a thriving hub of activity.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Midtown Detroit district established streetcars in the 1860's to travel the short distance to the downtown area. It isn't the same plot of land but it is still central compared to other district name options in the 20's-30's. 

I don't think Midtown would be a terrible name for the center Detroit district and would be easy to identify as the 'middle town' or central district. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
While I definitely want to take the time to do some research of my own since I think this is a great idea, so far I love the idea of Bricktown being the new name in DT. I wouldn’t be against renaming both of them. I’ve always viewed “Downtown” as a boring/simple district name and would love for both cities to get something more specific/creative.
Hopefully we get some good suggestions for this!
Report Post Tip

Greektown, Detroit Just north of the heart of downtown Detroit and a historic center for organized crime and the Detroit combination from the early 1900's dam near well into the new millennium 

Report Post Tip

I like Greektown or Motown myself.  Or Hamtramick 

Report Post Tip
I can dig Greektown or even Bricktown.
Report Post Tip

Eight mile. /discussion 

Greektown is solid
Report Post Tip

+1 for Greektown.  Makes for a few more RP opportunities as well.

Report Post Tip

I was literally thinking about this the other day! I definitely think Bricktown would be good for DT, perfect almost. I've personally wanted this changed for a while as I've been stuck making this mistake a few times.

I think Bricktown for Detroit would be an amazing change to the game, I've always though that Downtown was just kind of a lazy way to add a district into the game as any city district could literally be named Downtown. 

As far as Los Angeles we could possibly do Crenshaw or Compton but I feel as though this may be a bit ahead of its time for the era of the game, so if everyone is against this we could try University Park which is right near Downtown LA and has a lot of historical significance within the area.

Report Post Tip

I think all is good as it is, pointless to rename our beloved detroit as I see it.

Report Post Tip

Bricktown looks like a fine suggestion. Wouldn't mind seeing Midtown or Greektown either. Literally anything but Downtown

Report Post Tip

Bring back black bottom

No better time than now to change it will it remains unfilled right
Report Post Tip

Give us Jerusalem! 

The best are Motor City

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Downtown District Renaming Options
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL