Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 20 - 07:35:00
Page:  1 
A Simple Introduction Started by: Gaviria on Jan 17, '20 05:07

Gav had spent a considerable amount of time on the street corner, mulling over what was essentially a boilerplate interaction between a potential associate and their likely employers. The interaction was distinct from anything he had heard for some time. It wasn't a story. It wasn't a description of some criminal activity. It wasn't a speech. It was just a public conversation. Even over something so simple- like the choice a newcomer has for where to work- seemed profound to him.

I was impressed today by the brief words of a young prince in our streets and even more so by the response he received. And it occurred to me that, while "Street Presence" is discussed as a virtue of crewleaders, there's an element to the exchange with Mr. Rathore that I thought very genuine and noteworthy.

Each crew writes its own "poster" that it hangs where all who walk our streets can find it. These posters, like this one for my crew, F Society, include details about what an individual can expect from a given crew and/or crew leader. These, combined with the jobs they offer to newcomers, seem to paint a picture of such expectations, as well as serve as a simple introduction to that crew.

For those crews recruiting new members, whether by jobs or by unprompted messages, wouldn't it be appropriate to state a simple case for why they're a good destination for would-be mobsters in the Streets? Surely those who authed them already know why they'll be a great crewleader, but since they're already expected to make such introductions in these prepared posters and in job offers to newcomers, why not here?

For example, Peptide (mentioned here just because of their interactions with Mr. Rathore) has spent minimal time in the Streets. And yet, when it came to a potential new member, they talked to them in private and then also showed up in the Streets. They made a personalized introduction, which in my opinion is noteworthy, in contrast to stories that may or may not actually impact those around us.

So, in lieu of demanding something as ambiguous and arbitrary as "Street presence," would it be a good custom to ask new crewleaders for a simple introduction into what newcomers can expect from them? It would give each one an opportunity to introduce themselves, differentiate themselves from others, and make a clear case for why they would be a good employer. As the crew grows, their members can share their experiences in the crew and further build a public identity for the crew and crewleader. (I don't mean referencing anything that would "spill the secrets" of the crew, just the commonplace interactions that a lot of us come here for, and that a lot of people would find valuable to read about when they first start).

It would also serve as a valuable record of the men and women who lead us now that individuals can read about years in the future.

It was possible that Gav, alone, considered this to be worth the effort. But he hoped others might be willing to contribute. Peptide's appeal to the newcomer had given Gav hope that such discussions would be very good for how things operate here.

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

Though, I am in an inadequate position to comment on the logistical feasibility or on the existence of similar attempts that might have transpired in the past, I would like to imagine myself qualified enough to comment on the proverbial appeal of the idea itself.

As a general rule of thumb, I am of the opinion that any initiative that allows individual organisations to clearly elucidate their point of differentiation by adding that je ne sais quoi, that certain character to their holistic outreach is a step in the correct direction. Not only does it assist in immersion into this beautifully broken world of ours, it additionally supplements an added appeal to the individual or the organisation dedicated to taking community oriented initiatives.

However at the same time, the devil's advocate within me argues against it for reasons pertaining to conversational handicaps from less verbose individuals who may have a justifiable desire to invest their precious time or energy in more tangible causes that provide substantial benefits.

Compromises, ideal and inevitable, will soon abound but I would love to offer a simple one to start off the process. There surely exist amongst us, people with the skill and the desire to share stories of strife and struggle in these streets. Would it not then be a simple task to employ some of these individuals as freelance interviewers or editors to chronicle the tales of the handicapped while simultaneously increasing the immersiveness all while incentivizing them with currency and commissions?

Report Post Tip

Bombadil listened to SudhirSinghRathore speak and replies, "Listening to you talk is making the IQ of the whole country go up. Thank you for providing this service."

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A Simple Introduction
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL