Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 16:59:06
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
Respect? Started by: FiveFingerDeathPunch on Mar 14, '11 15:48

My philosophy has always been that the only the people who give me a home and protection deserve my loyalty but everyone deserves my respect until proven otherwise. The reason for this is simple. I'm a civilized human being and would rather be able to deal with people in a civilized manner than the shouting match that inevitably ensues when you fail to show a basic level of respect. Perhaps that's the answer you're looking for when you ask why you should respect people outside of your city or maybe I'm just too old fashioned.

I treat people with respect in my every day life no matter how brief our exchanges may be. From the guy who sells me my newspaper in the morning to old George who shines my shoes. I pay them to do a certain job for me and they do it quite well, especially George. In return these people greet me with a smile and a warm greeting every morning. It's the simple things that makes life better and much easier.

Of course when you get beyond the basic civility between people there is a lifestyle we all lead that makes the respect issue a bit more pressing. It's just not smart to press people, especially those that greatly outrank you in this thing of ours. If you run around disrespecting enough people and challenging them to show you why they're deserving of your respect, it's only a matter of time until you come across one that will prove it by burying you. It's just not a smart way to go about life.

Report Post Tip

Ah, the subject of respect, an oldie but goodie.

If I may start by quoting what you said at the end of your speech

"I realise after yesterdays episode there will be people who feel I don't even deserve a reply to my question(s), if that is the case then unlucky me, however, if I'm not taught, I will never learn."

Wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong... You can not be taught to respect people correctly. They're either worthy of respect, or they're not. You already know this.

When it comes to this thing of ours, it's a particularly touchy subject.

There are people I actually have zero respect for, who would consider themselves to be in a poisition that should automatically demand and receive my respect. If I am to interact with said people at all, it will be in a respectful manner ONLY out of respect for the family head and how my behaviour reflects on him. I will be as curteous and swift in contact with them as I am able to be without causing unnecessary politics and tattle-tale nonsense to be brought to Don Wad's doorstep.

I find the notion that someone *should* automatically be respected based on the family they're in, their rank or who their forefathers were to be ridiculous. Your rank within your family means NOTHING to me, seriously.. nothing at all. You may well be a great earner, loyal family member and the best body mover your family has ever known, but I also know that there's a chance you got bumped up a rank or three simply because of who you are, your friends or again, because of your bloodline. None of those factors make you someone I should, or would respect, they don't preclude you being a complete asshole, an idiot or a backstabbing liar, things I don't find in people worthy of respecting.

For me it's about the respect I have for people who, simply put, matter. I will converse in a respectful manner, because I respect my boss and the last thing he needs is people jumping all over him because I'm upsetting people. This is not to be confused with ass kissing, which is something that sadly, does tend to get mixed up with respect by people around these parts. I will not wish you well if I don't mean it, I will not congratulate you for trivial things and I won't automatically respect you because your great great great great great grandfather once had a family and shot someone else's great great great great great grandfather who was a don. I would hate to contribute to the false sense of superiority someone might feel because they, or their family USED to be awesome. Some might consider this disrespectful, if they do, they're probably exactly the kind of person I'm talking about.

If you've got a smoking hot gun, you're a crack shot who works hard to stay ahead, I can be impressed by the effort you put in.

If you're fond of bringing entertainment to the streets, even if it's not my kind of entertainment, I can appreciate the time taken to do so.

If you're a family figure head, right or left hand man, I can repsect that position.

None of these things, however, mean I automatically respect *you*.

Report Post Tip

Listening to everyone put in their bit, Tam decides there is still an angle to cover here.

Many solid points have been raised by many people who command my respect here. Premier, Bismark, Betty, Bighead and others. My point was simply an expansion on something Spam just mentioned.

If I am to interact with said people at all, it will be in a respectful manner ONLY out of respect for the family head and how my behaviour reflects on him.

This is key I feel. This thing of ours is a business. A very old business steeped in tradition. The entire history of it was build on showing respect. That respect doesn't necessarily have to be felt but it must be shown. So often one mobster does not know another and no one has any idea who they may be insulting.

As such it is critical to show respect in order to preserve good relations between families and cities. This has always been the way. it is important for inter family relations and for business.

As relationships build some of that respect may develop into genuine respect. Heart felt respect and appreciation. But no one can expect two gun toting strangers with a long crime history behind them to automatically have instant respect for someone they have never met. It just doesn't happen. But in this thing of ours, it must be shown.

Report Post Tip

Ernest makes his way to the street, and listens to Punch , and the others voice their thoughts of the subject of Respect.

My Bloodline, has been here since the old Country off an on for some years. And Punch I belive you're mixed up in what this society stands for.

Respect is everything in this world. but there is a fine line of Respecting sombody , and treating sombody with respect.  To show respect even to those you think of as an enemy, even if you plan on killing them. For without respect . chances are your life will be short lived.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Respect?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL