Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 13:23:39
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
The Tribune - An Update Started by: Mary_Livermore on Mar 02, '08 16:20
An elderly woman can be seen exiting the Tribune building locking the door behind her. As she turns around she notices a podium has been left in after Squishy announced the construction crews could be breaking various aspects of the world yet again. An idea comes to mind and she approaches the dais lovingly. Finding an air horn near the podium she let's out a quick burst, not enough to blow eardrums, just enough to get attention.

Hello there, how are you all today? I come to you with the usual pleading for involvement from the public. Yes, I know I keep myself locked up in the Tribune offices but as you can see at my age I'm not likely or able to be found frolicking in the Streets and Business Districts.

This week I had five people that seemed very energetic and wanting to be involved promise their services to me. Sadly, only one has lived up to their end of the deal. So unless a small miracle happens there will be no paper this week.

NOW NOW! Before you yell at me, the paper is for the community by the community, hush Rambo, I know you don't like my vision of the paper and how it should be run. Go back to your corner you can lambaste me in private if you wish.

If you want a paper to read then become involved. I refuse to publish crap. I refuse to waste the last days of my life writing for those who want to read but not be involved.

Leaders, get your families and crews involved. How hard is it to find someone in your family or crew that wants to write? That can write about your city and the events there.

For far too long the onus of producing a paper has been on the Editor's shoulders. It's my job to edit the paper. Not write it. So before you tell me off for the lack of paper look at yourselves and those around you. YOU could have helped. It's not just my fault, it's yours too.

With that.... Carry on and have a pleasant Sunday afternoon.

She places the air horn back in the bracket that held it prior to her use and hobbles down the Street to her home for a cuppa.
Report Post Tip
Curiously what is the point, in hiring new tribube staff if all that comes out of it is we need more public envolvement?

If you take enjoyment from being part of the paper, how about you write it?

Obviously doesnt have to a broadsheet, but a couple of pages would do nicely.
Report Post Tip
Id rather the talented writers focus there attention on street speaking over a numerous topics then simply wiriting an article for 1 publication. Whilst in the past, the paper has worked well, the majority of it is BS. We need to get unique stories onto the streets with people making there own headlines (OOC: individual topics) rather then simply promoting there views through the paper.
Report Post Tip
I find it hypocritical of you and slightly ironic that you are calling for people to come forward to write, yet you decide to not offer anything of originality yourself. If you wanted the paper to be published that badly, then you'd write something yourself. :)
Report Post Tip
Whilst I appreciate the trouble you're having in getting the paper back up and running again, I think SillySausage makes a good point. Good speeches and interesting articles are becoming increasingly hard to come by, so we're perhaps best served by improving the streets first and foremost.

That said, I'm sure the lack of fiscal incentives is not helping your plight, unfortunately. I'm sure there are good writers out there, they just need coaxing. At the moment, I don't see alot to entice them.
Report Post Tip
I would have to say.

My actions this weekend have given 2 obvious talking points.

I am happy to be interviewed by a worthy reporter.
Report Post Tip
People by their nature like to join a winning team, nobody wants to start at the bottom.

It is the editors job, to actively go out and seek these writers. As opposed to a speech, saying its our paper blah blah.

The more issue's published, the more people will make an effort. If it goes well, if not just another no mark editor.
Report Post Tip
Hey, hold on. Who said that I would not be writing for the paper? I know I didn't. I said my job was not as sole author.. I will write, I intend upon writing, writing is why I took this job. I just said that I will not write all of it myself. Editors of the past made that mistake and look how long they lasted.

You want a paper, help write it. That's all I'm saying. Without your help there will be no paper and then you'll bitch there is no paper..

It's a vicious circle I was hoping to end.
Report Post Tip
Then produce what you can, and take help when it is offered.

It is called being pro-active.

YOU took the job, YOU knew the hard work it would need, and YOU decided you could do it.

Do not start whinning in an articulate way, just because it is going to be hard possibly even a struggle the majority of the time.

Dont expect a pat on the back for your efforts either, but at this point it will be most likely a push out the door.
Report Post Tip
"It's my job to edit the paper. Not write it."

i think that is fairly explanatory.

also, what incentive does one have to spend time writing the paper?

In the past, I have seen financial offers of $10 a word, which is nothing. Id lose more money by forgetting to petty whilst writing an article then I would in the 'reward' for writing it.

Then we have the second problem. Street speaking gets you recognition from the Gods and helps you gain rank. Why would I waste material on a paper which would get me nothing, when my article can be turned into a street speech and help me rank?

Fact is, there is no benefit in writing for the paper, except for the personal saisfaction of contributing to someone that (probably) less then 10% of people read. And again, I would get more satisfaction from people lsitening and responding to a speech in the streets.
Report Post Tip
Well it would seem then, judging by the lack of interest for writing positions you have garnered, and the replies you have received to your speech, that people do not actually want a paper that much.
Report Post Tip
Ellis, judging by the replies some people could write some damn good articles yet spend the time finding reasons not to.

Also, you don't know what has been sent via Mob Mail in regards to articles.

It has and always will be a community run paper. Without the community helping out then the paper will die then people bitch because there is no paper to read.

A editors job is to get stories in on time and put them into some kind of order and finalise the production. However, with this community run paper it is up to the community to take their own time to join in and help.

As for the 'money for work' argument. Perhaps it is a good idea but then as you say $10 a word is not worth it but say $1000 could be too much. Where is the middle ground when you can earn $20k for running drugs
Report Post Tip
Thinking about it, what do we need a paper for anyway?

an obits page? jsut visit the funeral...

interviews...just make them a street interview...

news...im sure it will just be rinse and repeat of what is said in the streets

There is nothing that can be put in a paper at this stage that is not already, or cannot be, a speech
Report Post Tip
Tamelo, my best idea for a 'reward' is for every article you write, 50k gets put in a child trust fund by the newspaper which is accesable on your death, therefore giving your child the best possible start in life.

This would give your family a future advantage and encourage people to write, but wouldnt give a massive advantage to your current state.
Report Post Tip
See, I like that. That is a great idea and a real incentive to everyone.

Now, talk to Mary and perhaps you can get a advert written up in the tribune for it? ;)
Report Post Tip
Tamelo you pretty much seemed to reiterate my point. Like you said, people may have the capabilities to write quality articles for the newspaper, but they simply do not want to.

Maybe this money incentive idea could go somewhere to aiding this problem...
Report Post Tip
I am so not "feeling the love" here.
Report Post Tip
Tsk, I have booked a great hotel for me and you Mr. Tufting..

Holiday Inn just down the road from here. My how the hours will fly when we hook up..

Yes Ellis, some people are just not willing to help out a decent cause. Instead they decide to pick it apart and end up putting more effort into that..
Report Post Tip
'Tis a travesty indeed.
Report Post Tip
I'm of the opinion that the people who moan about the lack of a paper, should assist in some way. If they want a paper, they shouldn't expect it on a plate.

I personally have never moaned that we do not have a paper, I also would not miss the paper if it were not published and therefore, am perfectly comfortable saying that I have no intentions of writing for, or assisting in the cause of getting the paper off the ground.

If the people who request the paper want it that much, surely they would be willing to aid it's revival? If they are not willing to help, then they shouldn't moan about it not being there.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Tribune - An Update
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL