Get Timers Now!
X

May 18 - 06:55:27
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
TEMP GAME CHANGE: Auth not required for ranked shots Started by: Squishy on Sep 12, '20 20:39

As of this moment, you no longer require auth to shoot any account.  Accounts with some semblance of work put in them have at least a 1% chance of successfully killing their target at minimum.  Accounts with only enough work to get their gun would come in at less than a 1%.

I hope that we can resume the auth feature, but as of now we are putting the power in the hands of the masses to determine who their leaders are, what standards they want to have, and proper accountability.

I write this in with a heavy heart, but I think it is needed so that we can restore the game to a better place.  A few years ago, a group of people let the game get to their head and were not happy just running the game, they wanted more.  They set out to seek the enjoyment of not only being at the top, but the thrill they got from holding everyone else down.  To them it was a zero sum game, they cant enjoy it unless the rest are miserable.  When this no longer kept their peckers hard, they turned their sights even higher.  If we kill someone over and over and over, they will stop coming back.  That joy eventually turned flavorless too.  Now lets see how far we can push this.  Lets force Izzy to bow down by going after the finances of the game.  These people were killed in the past for this, and the userbase let them rank up again.  Then the cycle started back up, while everyone watched.

I will not save the userbase from itself and its own decisions or lack thereof, but when the stated goal of those in charge was to financially hurt the game to get me to change code, I will step in.

I sent out a mail to all uppers to denounce this ideology, and with 100% agreement, I will not be put into a position where I have to remove auths for higher ranked shots.

That 100% fell dramatically short.  So this feature has been turned on.  Every Saturday at 20:30, I will check for a mail to a back alley thread that contains all the uppers stating that they denounce this ideology and they will keep their real life angst focused on other things, and not trying to intentionally cause the game to go offline or force game changes so it can survive. 

I don't want to step in and remove toxic people, but my options are 1) remove all the toxic people and those who support them, enduring all the bullshit that it will cause.  2) Let the userbase fix itself with some small code changes to guide it, or 3) Put all my attentions into other projects that do not include MR.

I look forward to that back alley thread with every upper being on the same page so that we can start restoring features of the game that have been altered or turned off due to some power hungry people who only get their rod hard by making your experience miserable.

Report Post Tips: 5 / Total: $100,000 Tip

This is a very unprofessional announcement.

Report Post Tip
Post the actual logs showing that Curtis has said that his goal was to intentionally cripple the game financially. The user base needs to see real proof, not he said she said.
Report Post Tip

I agree Grin, it is embarrassing that I have too much empathy and don't just ban people when they should be.  Those who physically wished me harm were given tiny bans, those who laughed it up received nothing, those who tried to bankrupt the game intentionally weren't even banned.  So this is a last ditch effort of this being a community game run by the community, before I have to just remove all the bad elements and run it as a business with only myself and the game in mind. 

So yeah, this isn't very professional.

Its me asking for the community to up its game to remain a community game before we have to treat it like a revenue stream that only stays alive as long as its profitable and there are no users with names, just account IDs and how much they spent - like every other game out there.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I would feel better that those in the conversations would submit them to curios 3rd parties not involved, I'd rather not share the private words of a group of people to strangers just asking because they want to be all up into their business.  So you can ask Curtis and see if he wants you to see.

Report Post Tip
Players like that drove lots of old school players away.

This is needed right now to push the most selfish players to actually take an introspective look at what they are trying to do.

Hopefully this brings back a good chunk of those who left
Post the actual logs showing that Curtis has said that his goal was to intentionally cripple the game financially. The user base needs to see real proof, not he said she said.
Reply by: Just_Dicing at Sep 12, '20 20:53

While Curiosity pushes me to ask to see them, the fact is that this is a game run by one person with a small staff under him... As a D&D player, there is something i learned really quickly about running and playing games....:

"If you don't trust the Game Master (GM) to remain neutral/fair (as possible) then don't play the game."

If You think the GM is just gonna kill upper structure for no reason, then whats the point of playing. Whats the point of putting your time in only to die at the top. Furthermore, if the GM lets players bully him into adding extra protections to strengthen an already stifling ruling class, it becomes unfair to the rest of the player base.

Frankly, that leads to this game stagnating. It's in EVERYONE'S best interests that the "Floaters" get eaten by the fish underneath regularly or the fish in the water die. (Or... in this case, loose interest.) While I don't think the GM should be manning a net to fish out the floaters and scum constantly, some times it's necessary to stir the waters to allow growth... Specially when the floaters are killing off any fish that may be getting big enough to eat them.

Pond analogy aside... Part of this games draw is the players ability to grow. if you put a cap on that, players loose interest. if you try to force the GM to make that cap stronger... Specially seeing that this is killing players interest in playing... You're taking the GM's neutrality from them. They can't stand back and let people work it out on their own if they're literally being forced in. Squishy does try to let the game run itself, but there have to be lines.

It's almost more realistic anyways as anybody with a gun can shoot at anybody they're just not very likely to hit
Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip
While the feature itself may be reasonable, the reasoning is not. We continue to dive deeper into admin intervention than ever before. And I thought we had 2 others who decided on discipline issues.

If we want to be more realistic, that's an entirely different argument.
Report Post Tip

I have to disagree with you on this one Doogle, there is a difference between “interference” and “being forces into it” 🤷‍♀️ Attack finances of the game, you’re gonna face the admins, not players.

Report Post Tip

The bottom line is we are all supposedly adults here (people lie about their age all the time so no telling) and if you have to bully the admins and cheat to win a game than you never truly won. All that you achieved is making yourself look like a complete asshat to him and everyone around you. 

the finances of this game are none of my business but id do the same in Squishy's shoes. 

Report Post Tip

This doesn't bother me. This game rewards toxic and destructive play and has continually been the target of awful cliques who rise to power because this game rewards it and insulates them from the consequences of their actions. Eventually they overstep and face the repercussions.

What does bother me is this statement:

These people were killed in the past for this, and the userbase let them rank up again.  Then the cycle started back up, while everyone watched.

This is not the first time I've seen things like this, and even after being gone for months it still frustrates me. This idea that the userbase has some obligation to "put down" the toxic and destructive behaviors with no tools to accomplish it. There is no pocket of white knight players who are willing to put in hundreds of hours of work just to keep the streets clean. The only times that toxic cunts don't rule this game is when they're in striking distance of another set of toxic cunts- which gave the game a kind of social strategy.

But this "social strategy" component died a long time ago, and I can tell you why:

• Players can use credits and hustle points in the thousands to build a character independent of their crew or their city.
  • Leaders are forbidden from knowing who their members are, so every critical role will go to people they know they can trust.
  • These cliques are often well-funded and are capable of buying BGs to cap well in advance of the time it would take to shoot them. So even if you put every player on equal footing (like a reset), you'd still have the same assholes rising to the top because they'd be untouchable in less than a week.

If we are going to publicly hold the userbase responsible for not getting the thousands of kills it takes to unseat these toxic players, perhaps it would show a little goodwill to simply acknowledge that it isn't the userbase who writes that math. Time and again, suggestions have been made that would de-centralize power and force the game back into social strategy as opposed to this purging-from-an-ivory-tower bullshit and time and again, those suggestions were shot down.

The wack and BG wack math, the BG cap, the credit and hustle point stockpiles (and the ways these stockpiles continue to grow), and other game features that further enable this garbage are not and have never been the userbase's responsibility. And given the fact that this same shit has been happening for years and years, are we ready to admit that maybe there's some part of the game that needs fixed if we really want to usher in a new kind of gameplay?

Report Post Tips: 9 / Total: $740,000 Tip

I couldn't agree more with what Javier said.

Report Post Tip

What I meant by unprofessional is that the administrator of the platform is making announcements littered with clumsy penis references and assumed sexual preferences of their paying customers. It is not a good look. 

As to your point about intentionally trying to bankrupt the game - I was both a credit purchaser and an investor until yesterday - given those two actions financially support the game, this does not appear to apply to me.

If the actions of the users in question justify being banned in conjunction with your terms of service, then that punishment should have applied. Your Site Rules should form the framework for all disciplinary issues; it should be an emotionless case of cause and effect.

If you didn't apply that punishment, allowed them to continue to play, took their time and money and then chose to take action afterwards on those same actions, that would seem very ethically suspect to me. Almost as ethically suspect as taking action without providing any explanation whatsoever.

But when you choose to circumvent your own Site Rules and unilaterally issue whatever punishment you feel fits the invented crime, I guess it is hard to follow any formal procedure anyway.

Who would’ve thought there would need to be a “don’t try to fuck the game up” rule. You could just be a decent person, and you’d be alright.

If you don’t like the way a game is run, why do you play it so often? These kind of things only seem to happen to the absolute arseholes that play.

Maybe make your own game, and then fuck that up? Let me know how it goes.
Report Post Tip

SammyGarcini,

i couldnt have put that better myself but here is the answer to your question and its quite simple actually.

Nobody is willing to put in the effortless work in that is required to build a gun and take care of the issue themselves. they prefer to waste money on hiitlists hoping that another hitter would be stupid enough to try for an amount that would equate to 60 or 70 creds most of the time. When that doesnt work they pay the obscene amount required to keep it on the hitlist hoping that Tyler will get lucky and 1% the target. 

building the necessary gun to do something about that and affect the desired change is incredibly easy, compared to the old days when it took months of hard work just to build a gun that shot through forts, much less killed an IWP CL or Godfather. 

When they are not doing that and they die over and over again at the hands of the regime that killed them, all they do is bitch, moan and groan about it and point fingers instead of tipping their cap at the person who beat them at their own game. 

At the end of the day, this game is just that... a game. people forgot that fact a long time ago.

Players like that drove lots of old school players away.

This is needed right now to push the most selfish players to actually take an introspective look at what they are trying to do.

Hopefully this brings back a good chunk of those who left

A number of us are not sold on this. Once the auth is required again the purging will continue. The upper structure will learn nothing unless this feature  remains in some form... like any Made+ does not need auth AND anyone under made does not need auth for 3 ranks above them. This bullshit of keeping more than half the userbase at Wiseguy needs addressed and not having to be authed to show their displeasure should be a permanent addition. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

There is a sad state of affairs, that's for sure Taradiddle.

For example; I was just shot (SammyGarcini) for what I'd said here, in the announcement forum, for defending the game against people who wanted to essentially destroy it.

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Your previous account was not shot for what you said but how you said it.

Report Post Tip
Grin DD worried about penis jokes when he defended a dude with rape posts is wild
Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $70,000 Tip

News & Announcements
Replying to: TEMP GAME CHANGE: Auth not required for ranked shots
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL