Get Timers Now!
X

May 03 - 14:58:43
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
The removal of JackMezzo & LG. Words have weight. Started by: Squishy on Mar 31, '21 06:45

It is frustrating that things have devolved the way they have.  I can't stress how frustrating it is when users make accusations that are simply not true.  Its even more frustrating when the same come from staffs playing accounts.  When JackMezzo posted a conspiracy theory, it gave it weight, and it affirmed in the eyes of the readers that its true.  I will always kill users who spin untrue accusations towards the administration, and with irony, by not killing him, I would be doing that the very same thing that I am being accused of.

- I can't comment on the efforts made to accumulate the wealth, other than I know a vast majority was made in another time, through bets made with City Hall. Not by working the streets. No common gangster in this life will ever get a chance to earn that kind of credit assets, and so will never get the chance to challenge a hit placed on them.

100% of users, from thug all the way to GFC are welcome to buy credits IRL, buy credits in the marketplace, buy credits from others, earn credits from game play and any other method they want to.  100% of users, from thug all the way to CFC can dice.  They can place bets for other users to accept, they can accept bets from other users, they can accept houses bets.  They can send a bet to their friend.  They can send a bet to Toby-.  They can send a bet to Borat.  They can send a bet to RevanTheHunk.  They can send a bet to (picks any random name on the 60 second list)  and they can send a bet to me.

So when a user makes accusations that are untrue, it sucks.  I will accept ANY bet on squishy that isn't covered by house.  If I am around and not working when I see your bet, I will accept it 100% of the time.  To claim otherwise is absolute 100% bullshit.  Yes, I will not notice your bet for 3 credits sent 2 hours after i went to bed, and when I wake up its 3 pages deep in my personals I may not notice it.

So let me correct the above statement. 100% of every common gangster in this life will get a chance to earn that kind of credit assets, and so will always get the chance to challenge a hit placed on them.

Report Post Tips: 5 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Can't you read it in another way..?

I read that as: The odds that this happened to anyone, and exactly has happened to someone (becoming so rich) are so so so slim, that they are in fact 0%.
And the mentioning of the gaining wealth in a single couple of bets is just true, is it not? I know it was a bet, and he could have lost, too. But we (all others) have a 100 credit bet maximum.

Concluding.. I really read this differently, if you read it like that, it is not an accusation..

Report Post Tip

Tammy, my discussion with him in PM when he said "so I guess it's just that perception he is being given special bets" may make it clearer which of the two ways you could interpret it.

Report Post Tip

Well, the irony is obvious there.

We have all seen that in #dice, haven't we?

Report Post Tip

Can you clarify what you mean?

Report Post Tip

Having read the discussion that lead up to these events, I'm going to set aside my close character association with the man for a moment.

It seems like a lot of aspersions and ill motive were cast on JackMezzo's discussion when both the character and the identity behind it were engaging in a good faith debate about the limits and purpose of the hitlist.  While this discussion may have contained facts that were erroneous, a retraction by LG was offered to clarify these issues.

As was mentioned, we take you at your word that you honor private bets; but when publicly available credit bets shrink from 2500 to 100, it is fair to say that the vast majority of us (myself included) aren't aware that there is a direct avenue with you to bet many times over this public amount, in private.  If these dice bets were public for all to see and were not the product of rumors and whispers, the conversation would have likely gone where LG intended; the point of the hitlist and its impact on our shores.  Judging by its response, it's fair to say that this topic has left more than a few users fed up with this feature and have been grappling with years on how to address it in a way that does not break the economy. 

The nature of the quickly-renewed anonymous hitlist will lead many of us to assumptions that can typically only be afforded by a select few who have the resources to flout.  It's a fair thing in this context to bring up the weight that an individual or a group of individuals in this category can have on the greater economy and user base.  It is also fair to say that the common user won't typically get afforded this opportunity. This doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

JackMezzo, the character, was a guy who for months busted his ass and brought discussions to the streets because that's who he was.  This discussion was a small piece of his story.  When asked what his goals were after taking GF, his response was to simply have a full and happy district.  Painfully domestic.

LG, the identity behind the character, was a guy who mediated arguments, taught people how to play the game, rolled in to lounge and gave out credits more times than I could possibly begin to count, and came up with crazy competitions and paid for them out of his own pocket to engage activity.  I have never known him to engage in bad faith arguments.

He will be sorely missed.

Report Post Tips: 6 / Total: $252,000 Tip
Tammy, when you say "But we (all others) have a 100 credit bet maximum." You are incorrect.

You can put up a bet for whatever amount you want at any time for anyone to accept. You can also send a bet for whatever you want at any time for anyone to accept.

You want to put a 20,000 credit bet up right now, go for it. Any user can accept it that has the means. Do you want to offer 20,000 credit bet to me? Go for it.

Nobody has a 100 credit bet maximum, not a single user. You are free to bet anyone anytime any amount.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

The problem is the bets were not between two users they were between you and another player. The problem is this isn't know to the average user that this can be done and added to the fact that maybe 0.1% of the users have 10k credits.

Report Post Tip

I never knew you would accept any bet handed out to you, Squishy. That was not generally known, I reckon.

I feel that that fact partly has caused the shitty situation in which we have now lost what I reckon is the most contributing and composed member of the community as both a player and an admin.

@JeanRalphino no doubt, no one is doubting Jacks personal character, but to make incorrect assertions and give credence to any accusation about giving special bets to anyone is a dangerous game. He paid the price for it. I really wish he would have put more thought into his statement before he chose to give it weight and use it as a point in his debate with users. It was careless, and he crossed a line that shouldn't be crossed. His status as staff does not afford him special favors in making untrue accusations, regardless of how big of a fan I am of his playing style.

Another question..

So if you feel the character crossed a line. Why was the admin killed?

Report Post Tip
Tammy

Let's try a little scenario game.

If Warriors playing character got caught with a dupe, what do you think would happen to his staff account?

If FrankieFigs player account got caught scripting, what do you think what happened to his staff account?
Report Post Tip

I love scenario games, Squishy..

I know you mean it rhetorical, but I will still answer. if you want my honest opinion..

If Warrior's character gets caught on a dupe, which wouldn't surprise me a single bit, I think you should wack him. Because that would interfere with his integrity and would be massive cheating in the game.
If FrankieFigs's character gets caught scripting, I think you should wack him, too. As automation, too, is a gross violation of the rules and having done this would make him untrustworthy.
Yet, in the case of LG, I see a thread from him that you feel was out of line, of which I have already given my opinion (I don't read it that same way), but I also see someone that had the best intentions to improve the game and the community. Who is trustworthy and who told you in a private convo what his concerns were, before he apologized to you saying he should not have addressed the topic like he did.

Don't you see the difference between the scerarios?

to be clear: That was a joke about Warrior. I know him a bit and I think he might chuckle if he reads it..

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $120,000 Tip
I guess I misread it too. I read it from a realism standpoint saying that in reality no common street thug in the 20's would scrape together the kinda scratch used to place these kinda hits.
Report Post Tip

Damn, I like to play this game to avoid the Cancel Culture there is in the real world as of lately, just to come find out that it is spreading into here too... Geez

To straight up cancel him and not even give him something in return for his massive contribution to the game as a whole while he has been alive is beyond fucked. May his soul rest in peace

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip
Tammy you read it incorrectly, as discussed with JackMezzo in a follow up conversation, his intention was exactly how I read it.

So no, all three situations are similar, the intent was known, the deed was done anyway, being sorry about it at a later time doesn't change anything. I think it would be highly inappropriate to keep him on as staff after he did what he did. Is there anything left on this dead horse that's still needs to be beaten? as I said earlier multiple times to you, you should direct your questions towards him if it really is that important to you that you know what he said or did.
Report Post Tip

You asked, I answered.

Fine, I will not speak about it anymore.

Report Post Tip
Tammy, actually you asked, over and over and over. I have tried to get you multiple times to speak to him yourself. If getting in his business is so important to you then please talk to him and direct all your questions at him.
Report Post Tip

LG did not express himself as well as he could have. Some fault for this situation obviously lies with him, since he chose to speak, and obviously he failed in his purpose in doing so.

With that acknowledgement, it seems clear to me that this situation should have been averted by both parties.

Assuming a truly impartial judge, let's examine the part of Mezzo's speech that was cited here.

- I can't comment on the efforts made to accumulate the wealth, other than I know a vast majority was made in another time, through bets made with City Hall. Not by working the streets. No common gangster in this life will ever get a chance to earn that kind of credit assets, and so will never get the chance to challenge a hit placed on them.

Is it wrong to say that there is more wealth existing in dice-won credits that that earned from "normal" ways of making money in the game? There's currently $3,000,000,000 in cash in the game. This would be (assuming a perfect 500K price) 6,000 credits worth of cash. Are there more than 6,000 credits out there that people have won at dice? I cannot prove it, but it seems likely to me based on my time here. If so, then this statement would appear to be correct. 

It appears that the next statement about "getting a chance to earn that kind of credit assets" was interpreted as "some players have special ways to make credits that aren't available to others", which is not how I (and seemingly many others) read this. Personally, I read this more as a comment on the very small percentage of players who find themselves in this position- not due to admin bias, but simply due to the unlikelihood of getting that lucky and winning so many credits. 

Mezzo didn't say that special treatment was given to anyone. From my perspective, he simply stated that a common gangster- the average player or the new arrival- can't match the economic earning potential of a dicer with deep pockets. Isn't this a simple truth of economics? How much can a common gangster- someone who shows up and starts doing crimes and selling drugs- make compared to a dicer with a big bankroll? 

To be clear, yes of course that brand new player off the boat could buy some credits and dice their way into becoming a whale. But then they would no longer be a common gangster.

It seems clear to me, at least, that Mezzo was pointing out the potential earning disparity between the whales and the little fish and examining how that impacted the feature of the hitlist. It's understandable that those who run this game would be sensitive to any hints of impropriety, but even a truly objective judge would seemingly need to contort themselves to see this as an attack that took his words as "Squishy will accept bets from some people and not others". 

All of this has assumed a truly objective judge examining the speech as stated in the streets, but frankly I don't think there should be a truly objective judge here. When weighing this alleged hinted accusation of an admin, it seems ludicrous to me that the character and context of LG as a player is seemingly disregarded here.

I don't claim to know all the behind the scenes people who make MR happen, but I've been here on this site for over a decade. In those 14 years, I would highlight two people who have far and away done more than anyone else to try to build this game and build this community.

The first person would be Squishy, for the constant attention, devotion, and hard work he puts in to keep the MR lights on.

The second person would be LG. I have never known another player to even attempt half of what he was able to accomplish. Whether he had auth or not, he was constantly trying to brainstorm competitions and events. Why? To engage and improve the community. He was constantly trying to think of insightful and eye-catching street speeches. Why? To engage and improve the community. He was constantly trying to add new game mechanics like the jobs board for his crew. Why? To engage and improve the community.

When LG was here, he was consistently the most thoughtful, hard-working, and community-driven leader I've ever had the pleasure of knowing in all my time here. Clearly, he was someone that the game administrators respected, based on his position and the many interactions between them that I saw.

If he had snapped and started ranting in #main or making an OOC post directly alleging admin abuse, then he absolutely should have been wacked.  Instead, we had something that could maybe be construed as an allegation on a bad day referencing a presumed public policy that apparently very few players were actually aware of, all in an attempt to try to address how an economic disparity negatively impacted a game feature.

Could Mezzo have phrased his points better? Absolutely.

Should the player who has done more for the community in the last decade+ than any other player have been given the benefit of the doubt for a vague allegation, if that? Absolutely. 

Tammy you read it incorrectly, as discussed with JackMezzo in a follow up conversation, his intention was exactly how I read it.

So no, all three situations are similar, the intent was known, the deed was done anyway, being sorry about it at a later time doesn't change anything. I think it would be highly inappropriate to keep him on as staff after he did what he did. Is there anything left on this dead horse that's still needs to be beaten? as I said earlier multiple times to you, you should direct your questions towards him if it really is that important to you that you know what he said or did.

Are you saying that Jack Mezzo accused you personally of providing special treatment to some and not others? Or did he raise an issue about the perception of this in attempt to address an issue of a game feature within the community, in an attempt to improve the community? The two do not seem to be equivalent. 

The player who did more for this game than any other, a pillar of the community was admin-wacked for reasons that shocked, confused, and saddened a large number of players- and this happened seven hours ago. Many people are just waking up to learn about this for the first time, so this seems far from a dead horse situation.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $1,000,000 Tip
Nuclear I cancelled him? Really? He was held accountable for what he said. He is not dead in real life, he has not been from the game, I have no ill will towards him.

There are no rewards for getting a DD. He called me out for giving special treatment to another staffer, which is beyond false. The ironic thing is the exact thing he's accusing me of is why it's so important that he was dismissed as an staff member. when any user makes those accusations, they will be killed for breaking the rules, as much as I would like to leave him alive the very accusation that he's making means that I have to kill him or it becomes true that I'm giving special treatment to an staff member.
Report Post Tip

News & Announcements
Replying to: The removal of JackMezzo & LG. Words have weight.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL